49ers trade Shaun Hill to Lions

The Detroit Lions have a new backup quarterback, acquiring Shaun Hill in a trade with the San Francisco 49ers.

Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee reports that the 49ers sent Hill to the Lions for a seventh-round draft pick in 2011.

For the Lions, that’s a small price to play for a quarterback who provides some insurance and should be a good veteran presence for starter Matthew Stafford. Lions offensive coordinator Scott Linehan previously worked with Hill in Minnesota when Hill was on the Vikings’ roster.

For the 49ers, a 2011 seventh-round pick is better than nothing, considering that it became obvious Hill was on the way out when they signed David Carr.

Hill has won 10 games in 16 starts for the 49ers over the last three years. The Lions have won nine games, total, over the last three years.

Permalink 40 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
40 Responses to “49ers trade Shaun Hill to Lions”
  1. this class sucks says: Mar 14, 2010 2:26 PM

That is outstanding. We got something for nothing. I know a lot of 49ers fans liked Hill but he really wasn’t very good. And most importantly we won’t lose Nate Davis.

2. txtumbleweed says: Mar 14, 2010 2:26 PM

I’m glad for Hill, he is a great guy and is a very good backup QB.

3. QB_of_the_Future says: Mar 14, 2010 2:26 PM

If Shaun Hill had Matthew Stafford’s arm, he’d be great. Then again, if I had Matthew Stafford’s arm, I’d probably be OK myself, and I’d be working on a deal to be a 2nd QB and not sitting @ my computer talking about a 2nd QB.

4. mnmaverick says: Mar 14, 2010 2:31 PM

Great signing. I always thought Shaun deserved a shot at starting or back-up here with the Vikes. All he does is produce.

5. Redruckus81 says: Mar 14, 2010 2:37 PM

Good trade. Dont tell Florio I said this but he is an upgrade to Culpepper

6. Munze Konza says: Mar 14, 2010 2:40 PM

a 7th rounder? The same as Seneca Wallace went for? Wow, I remember when Rick Mirer went for a 1st rounder!

7. tedskro says: Mar 14, 2010 2:42 PM

another good move by the lions this offseason great price for the value of a solid backup byeee big pepper

8. BrooklynNiner19 says: Mar 14, 2010 2:45 PM

it was good while it lasted Shaun. good luck in DET . lol
    *Niners #1

9. eagles_5_beast says: Mar 14, 2010 2:50 PM

Funny last fact MDS

10. Youngone says: Mar 14, 2010 3:14 PM

Good for Hill. Stafford is gonna get injured and Hill will win some games and start a controversy.

11. Mean D says: Mar 14, 2010 3:19 PM

Lions will still stink.

12. windex666 says: Mar 14, 2010 3:21 PM

Shaun was a good guy and a professional, but he will never be a starting QB…Nate Davis is the future!

13. bspurloc says: Mar 14, 2010 3:28 PM

Niners can put Carr in there to watch him become the first place in qb sacks.
    It will only take him one season to be #1 sacked qb.
    the fat dumbass

14. raiderrob21 says: Mar 14, 2010 3:38 PM

YAAAAWWWWWNNNNNNNNNN
    Does anyone really care?

15. 49erFaithful says: Mar 14, 2010 3:41 PM

Ok… Hill didn’t win squat. He was carried by the defense against some really bad teams, or in the case of the Bucs in 2007, the second-string players.

16. robertamberg says: Mar 14, 2010 3:44 PM

It’s Matt Barrows not Barros.

17. swig69420 says: Mar 14, 2010 3:50 PM

He’s got starting experience and can throw alittle bit…
    He’s probably better then Stanton and Culpepper…
    That’s not saying much but he’s a better back-up option then we had behind Stafford…

18. OscarMooseFarmer says: Mar 14, 2010 3:59 PM

Good for the Lions.. I honestly don’t know if Carr is an upgrade for the Niners, I haven’t seen him play much.
    Hill won’t win you many games, but he won’t lose any for you either..

19. Merton Hanks says: Mar 14, 2010 4:03 PM

Best of luck to you Shaun

20. kishcollageit says: Mar 14, 2010 4:18 PM

I like the moves the Lions are making because after Stafford there is a big drop off in talent. Welcome Shaun and please teach Stafford some patience!

21. bigtrav425 says: Mar 14, 2010 4:18 PM

Dear mr.Heckert….this is a definition of a good move…good move Detroit!

22. Lionfreq says: Mar 14, 2010 4:31 PM

@BrooklynNiner19
    You’re a joke. The niners are a joke. You guys replaced a guy who knows how to win in Hill and replace him with a proven bust.
    *#1 David Carr = bust

23. Bronzebomber says: Mar 14, 2010 4:44 PM

I think this is great for the Niners. I agree with “this class sucks”. I was one of those Niner fans that didn’t buy into the Hill hoopla. At best he’s a backup. I like our drafting of Davis. Finally, I hate to break it to you folks, but those 10 wins should go more to the Defense not Hill.

24. raidresnation says: Mar 14, 2010 5:10 PM

Los Angeles 49ers 2012

25. ninjapleazee says: Mar 14, 2010 5:27 PM

wow.. 7th rounder

26. gambitto says: Mar 14, 2010 5:32 PM

A good deal for the Lions. I would rather see the scrappy Hill giving the Lions a chance instead of crappy Culpepper fumbling and throwing INTs all over the place.

27. GoLions says: Mar 14, 2010 6:17 PM

He’ll be a good backup for Stafford – now if they just beef up that line…

28. tea_jaye17 says: Mar 14, 2010 6:25 PM

another great move for the lions this offseason, improving the roster, while giving up little.

29. SFrancis1680 says: Mar 14, 2010 7:01 PM

good move for Shaun, and at least the Niners got something for him

30. Merton Hanks says: Mar 14, 2010 7:08 PM

Hey it’s raidresnation everyone! The guy who f*cked up the spelling of his own username!

31. raidresnation says: Mar 14, 2010 7:22 PM

Hey its Merton Shanks…..
    Hey can you still do the funky chicken???
    I am sure you are wearing your pink 49ers Shanks jersey …..
    Now time to go polish your Gavin Newsome photo.
    BTW
    Stay out of Oakland with your Pinkie 49er jerseys.
    Nancy Pelosi loves the Pink 49ers………

32. this class sucks says: Mar 14, 2010 7:40 PM

@raidersnation
    I do not understand your motivation for constantly insulting the 49ers or trying to upset 49ers fans. Is it that you are jealous of the 5 Super Bowls we have? Or the fact that San Francisco is a way better city than Oakland? Well have fun supporting the most poorly run team in all of sports.

33. drumbug71 says: Mar 14, 2010 9:40 PM

I take it Culpepper is done in Detroit now?

34. raidresnation says: Mar 14, 2010 10:58 PM

@raidersnation
    Well,
    Keep living in the past. You won 5 SB’S decades ago.
    Mafia man is not your owner anymore. The Yorks are your Masters.
    And your team has missed the playoffs just a much as our franchise.
    You guys have a dump of a Stadium. Now you want to bring your bad fruits over to our venue.
    Keep your Pink Jerseys in Frisco –in that toliet called Candledump.
    Move your team South.
    Los Angeles 49ers—coming soon!

35. simple_simon1 says: Mar 15, 2010 1:12 AM

Finally….. Bye bye Pullpecker

36. jlbay says: Mar 15, 2010 1:37 PM

Hey I was pretty close in predicting this trade, I got the compensation right but got the acquiring team wrong, back on March 12th:
    jlbay says:
    March 12, 2010 11:20 AM
    “It’s hard to see why any team would trade for Hill when it’s obvious that he’ll be available for nothing once the 49ers release him”
    Hmmmmm . . . maybe a team would like to make sure they get him without getting into a FA bidding war . . . seems pretty logical . . . especially given the fact that you won’t have to give up very much . . . under the presumption that the 49ers will take what they can get since they will most likely cut him if no one trades for him.
    A 7th rounder in 2011 seems reasonable and cheap enough that Cleveland should be able to get this done.

37. Robert says: Mar 15, 2010 3:53 PM

@GoLions
    I’d be surprised if they address the O-Line this year. That might have to wait one more year. But I hope I’m wrong.
    Shaun Hill will find that he’ll be very happy with his role as the #2 in Detroit…backup QB is the most loved position on the Lions when they aren’t doing well…which is, uhm…all the time.
    Get some local deals doing some commercials, Shaun.

38. 1nationraidernation says: Mar 15, 2010 7:16 PM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, where is alex smith???

39. this class sucks says: Mar 15, 2010 11:46 PM

@raidersnation
    Yeah making fun of the 49ers ownership, I really have no comeback to that. If you have been following the LA story at all you would know that it sounds like no team is going to be moving to LA not the 49ers, not the Vikings, not the Jaguars. I don’t understand why you insist on insulting the 49ers, is it jealousy? I have been a 49er fan my entire life and never felt a dislike of the Raiders. I wouldn’t root against him in the playoffs or in general, but for some reason the Raider’s fans are always trying to put down the 49ers.

40. pthang says: Apr 15, 2010 11:48 AM

Last year, Shaun won 3 games without Frank Gore ( on the injury list ) and without Crabtree. Both of them are the main 49 ers offensive threats for Alex Smith . Now Shaun is gone, he does not need any of them . Will the 49ers go to the playoff ? I am not sure .