A year after turning down Hard Knocks, the Texans want in

In past years, plenty of teams opted against inviting NFL Films for the Hard Knocks series.  The fear was/is that the one hour per week of footage that makes it onto television — and the countless other hours that don’t — could end up being used against the subject of the series.

Last year, the Bengals welcomed the presence of the cameras, and they parlayed the appearance into a playoff berth.

Now, a team that previously said “thanks” and “no thanks” to NFL Films wants in.  According to John McClain of the Houston Chronicle, Texans owner Bob McNair is lobbying for the assignment.  Per McClain, the Texans had a crack at the gig in 2009, but they turned it down.

McClain also points out that “there’s talk” the Jets will be the ultimate selection.  And that makes us wonder whether Monday’s gasket-blowing from owner Woody Johnson regarding The Coin Flip was aimed at squeezing the league into picking the Jets.  It also makes us wonder whether the decision to go public with the spat will do more harm than good in that regard.

Meanwhile, keep in mind that the late Vince Lombardi relished the presence of NFL Films crews at practice, believing that the cameras prompted the players to work harder.  In fact, Lombardi would tell NFL Films president Steve Sabol to have his staff pretend to use the cameras, even if they contained no film.

Sabol’s reward for creating contrived motivation for Lombardi’s players?  A photo from the coach with this classic inscription:  “To Steve, A Schmuck if ever I saw one, Vince.”

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Houston Texans, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
21 Responses to “A year after turning down Hard Knocks, the Texans want in”
  1. Poo Flinging Monkey says: Mar 16, 2010 8:20 PM

The first episode will air a seven minute segment, in which Mark Sanchez stares wistfully into the camera, and names all twelve moles on his face after a constellation of the zodiac.

2. G-MEN TO THE SB says: Mar 16, 2010 8:27 PM

what channel is hard knocks on anyway? is it in nfl network?

3. stetai says: Mar 16, 2010 8:29 PM

You’re seriously trying to say this had anything to do with anything that happened during the season? Are you THAT much into HBO, that you have to give them credit for this?

4. nyjshane88 says: Mar 16, 2010 8:30 PM

Dammit! I was just thinking as I read the 1st paragraph, “man I’d hate for the Jets to have a distraction like that.” Very next sentence is that they’re the favorites to have the show. The bit about Lombardi and the players having to work harder cuz of the presence of the cameras is a bright way to look at it I suppose.

5. shpongle says: Mar 16, 2010 8:36 PM

To Mike,
    A douche if I ever saw one,
    Gregg

6. Laxer37 says: Mar 16, 2010 8:51 PM

7. seaner44 says: Mar 16, 2010 8:55 PM

Most speculative article on this site ever…
    Texans will turn hard knocks appearance into playoffs
    Bengals turned hard knocks appearance into playoffs
    Woody blows a gasket over coin toss and therefore becomes the favouirte to get to be on a television series
    in other news my dog took a dump in the back right corner of my yard this morning and therefore the rams are going to win the superbowl this year

8. aj says: Mar 16, 2010 9:09 PM

Lobby all you want. The Texans are way too milk ‘n cookies to nail that gig.

9. bspurloc says: Mar 16, 2010 9:30 PM

NFL Network more money grubbing BS…..
    I don’t have the option to get this network and I wouldn’t pay a penny to get it……

10. AcidSoda says: Mar 16, 2010 10:00 PM

“I think you meant to say the Bengals parlayed their appearance into a one-and-out in the playoffs.”
    better to get there than not.

11. cbatchel says: Mar 16, 2010 10:23 PM

Woody Johnson what a damn cry baby!!!!!!!!

12. adammwilson77 says: Mar 16, 2010 10:26 PM

It’s on HBO. It pisses me off. NFL Network needs to get it double time. BTW the reason you don’t have NFL Network is because of your cable company. NFL Network has sued multiple cable companies in an attempt to stop the cable companies from putting nfl network in a premium package which you have to pay extra for. NFL network is just as pissed as you are that you can’t get it for free. The network was created so everyone could have it FOR FREE.

13. Jabberwocky says: Mar 16, 2010 11:52 PM

Poo- hysterical. I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised that you might actually be right.

14. tryagain says: Mar 16, 2010 11:54 PM

‘The first episode will air a seven minute segment, in which Mark Sanchez stares wistfully into the camera…’
    Please, please let this happen.

15. Turd Furguson says: Mar 16, 2010 11:56 PM

HA! Is hard knocks on NFL network… Hell no it’s way too good of programing for the NFL network. I’m glad it’s not cause the best part about it is the swearing and stuff that can’t be aired on a channel like the NFL network.

16. aious says: Mar 17, 2010 12:06 AM

Texans are a boring team
    Let’s pick a team with an attitude

17. dogma1 says: Mar 17, 2010 1:01 AM

Please get the Raiders are Hard Knocks. I would pay money to see it, what a freak show it must be. I bet it would be one of the highest rated shows on TV.

18. Adam says: Mar 17, 2010 3:48 AM

NFL and HBO would be idiots to not use the Jets this year. Seriously, what other team, love them or hate them, would be more entertaining?

19. BonnieD says: Mar 17, 2010 6:05 AM

adammwilson77 says: It’s on HBO. It pisses me off. NFL Network needs to get it double time. BTW the reason you don’t have NFL Network is because of your cable company. NFL Network has sued multiple cable companies in an attempt to stop the cable companies from putting nfl network in a premium package which you have to pay extra for. NFL network is just as pissed as you are that you can’t get it for free. The network was created so everyone could have it FOR FREE”
    Well it’s practically free. I just have to pay $5 extra a month for the Sports Package so I get NFL Network and some other channels (Golf Channel is one of them I think). $5 a month is not much. Give up one lunch out a month and you’ve got it.

20. answer3 says: Mar 17, 2010 10:36 AM

Call me crazy, but id like to see the Browns on Hardknocks. Watch a true rebuild job at work…Why not?

21. Cincinnasty says: Mar 17, 2010 4:43 PM

I wish they ran program’s like this every year for every team.. It was very enjoyable to watch that last year…