Eagles, Seahawks swap defensive ends

Just as we were chasing a rumor that the Seahawks had blocked defensive end Darryl Tapp from working out at the team facility because he was being traded to Philadelphia, Jay Glazer of FOX reported that, indeed, Tapp has been traded to Philly for linebacker/defensive end Chris Clemons and a late-round pick.

Tapp had signed his restricted free agency tender on Monday.  It’s unknown whether he did so knowing that he’d be traded.  It’s also unknown whether the Eagles will be signing him to a contract extension.

Clemons joined the Eagles as an unrestricted free agent in 2008.  Tapp was a second-round draft pick in 2006.

Clemons is under contract through 2012 at base salaries over the next three seasons of $1.2 million, $2.3 million, and $3 million.

UPDATE:  Per a league source, the Eagles sent their fourth-round pick to Seattle with Clemons.

Permalink 50 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Top Stories
50 Responses to “Eagles, Seahawks swap defensive ends”
  1. penguininbondage says: Mar 16, 2010 6:41 PM

Clemmons is a lop.

2. sterlingarcher says: Mar 16, 2010 6:41 PM

he sounds like a young guy with potential, this could be a great move.

3. JimmyMac says: Mar 16, 2010 6:42 PM

I LIKE it!!!!

4. GobiasINC_1 says: Mar 16, 2010 6:44 PM

I blame Ted Thompson for this.

5. toonster says: Mar 16, 2010 6:45 PM

I am really intrigued with this move from both sides. Clemons wasn’t really someone that the Eagles needed. Tapp offers them a guy that is more capable of playing on a regular basis, moreso than just a pass rush specialist role. The Eagles needed that. On the other hand. Tapp had been passed by Lawrence Jackson in Seattle, and they could use a pass rush specialist. Seems to make sense for both parties. Not saying that either guy is going to do great things, but rather, that I think it’s a good gamble for all parties involved.

6. phillyburdzfan says: Mar 16, 2010 6:45 PM

SPLASH!!!!!!

7. jibfest says: Mar 16, 2010 6:46 PM

One man’s trash…..

8. RumorMongering says: Mar 16, 2010 6:46 PM

Low risk move with some upside for The Birds. Tapp is 25 and Clemons was never the same after he got paid.

9. VoxVagina says: Mar 16, 2010 6:47 PM

This is a lousy trade for both teams. Both of them suck

10. riddlecleve says: Mar 16, 2010 6:47 PM

What a good pick up for the Eagles, why couldn’t the Browns trade one of our million draft picks for Tapp

11. last starfighter says: Mar 16, 2010 6:48 PM

Tapp was just about the only effective player on seattles d last year.

12. Johnson says: Mar 16, 2010 6:49 PM

can’t be worse than clemons. we’ll see how it goes.

13. Krow says: Mar 16, 2010 6:52 PM

Another Superbowl for the Eagles. This should pretty much lock it up for next year.

14. 20_Lb_Sack says: Mar 16, 2010 6:53 PM

Nice move Hawks…you F’Tards

15. jaymele05 says: Mar 16, 2010 6:53 PM

Thank you. Tapp is a good two-way lineman. Clemons is a glorified outside linebacker.

16. chipwade says: Mar 16, 2010 6:53 PM

Clemmons a relatively old. Daryl Tapp is young. This makes no sense considering Patrick Kerney may be hanging up his cleats. Also, not a fan of cutting Deon Grant loose.
    Could our PFT friends please explain the cutting players in the uncapped year scenario and how teams are taking full advantage of it? Are the players still getting their garuanteed money or is it just not counting towards a cap?

17. MyronB says: Mar 16, 2010 6:56 PM

Now if only they could send McNabb to the Seahawks for a first round pick…

18. VoxVagina says: Mar 16, 2010 6:56 PM

Clemons was never an OLB, really. Where did you get these facts? btw if this is the Eagles’ fix at DE across from Trent Cole I see this offseason as an utter failure

19. Stealthhawk says: Mar 16, 2010 6:58 PM

Yeah it’s supposed to be Chris Clemons the DE/LB from Philly. As a ‘Hawks fan, I don’t think I like this trade.

20. Krow says: Mar 16, 2010 7:02 PM

If you cut a player then the remainder of the signing bonus rolls up into that year. So if a guy got a 10 mil bonus on a 5 yr contract… 2 mil a year prorated… and you cut him after 1 year then that second year you eat an 8 mil cap hit. With no cap you get off free… this year only.

21. VoxVagina says: Mar 16, 2010 7:04 PM

I’m using the word “suck” comparatively to the talent that the Eagles had available to them, like Aaron Kampman, Peppers, but didn’t go hard after. Both of them are pretty average players. The trade looks way dumber for Seattle though, since they gave a 25 year old away for a 28 year old with less potential. As an Eagles fan, I just don’t giving up draft picks. Round 4 is like the 3rd this year in such a deep class, and you never know where you’ll find the next Trent Cole (he was a 5th rounder)

22. nfcbeast says: Mar 16, 2010 7:13 PM

Tapp will be much better than Clemons!
    He is younger for one thing, and Clemons was totally a waste of a roster spot.
    I just wish the Eagles didnt give up a 4th rounder as well…..we could prob have gotten a 4th round DE thats almost as good as Tapp….hmmf, oh well.
    I’m just glad the Eagles got off their asses and started to get some new faces on the team.

23. Sasquash says: Mar 16, 2010 7:21 PM

Well Clemons was a stiff so I think I like it. What pick did the Eagles give up?

24. OTCderivativeYourAss says: Mar 16, 2010 7:30 PM

Good, now hopefully Philly will stay the hell away from Ray Edwards.

25. jshawaii says: Mar 16, 2010 7:37 PM

Funny for a team with the richest owner in the NFL, but Seattle is dumping salary right now and not bringing much back to the table.
    I know that they haven’t had much success with free agents (especially older ones) so I don’t blame them for not jumping into the market to pick up over-the-hill players, but to give away servicable young ones like Tapp, who will never be a star, but is decent on the DE rotation that the ‘hawks have used is somewhat confusing.
    I hope that they can draft the future this year.
    Okung and Iupati would be good start at rebuilding…
    js

26. vbhall78 says: Mar 16, 2010 7:41 PM

Ok, i guess……

27. heisty says: Mar 16, 2010 7:47 PM

WTF is Pete Carroll doing!!!!!!!!!!!! I’ve flopped a few times on Carroll. When I first heard rumors about Carroll I hated it and then thought ok he knows college talent and they’ll get a good gm to help out. No cap and this team has done nothing to help their o-line or defense. I don’t mind the Deon Grant release but I hate the Tapp trade. What would make this offseason worse is if they listen to Charles Davis from NFL network and take Bradford and Spiller with picks 6 and 14.

28. Indyeagle says: Mar 16, 2010 7:49 PM

I hope Tapp is damn good, because a 4th round pick is a huge deal. Clemons isn’t a huge loss, but I hate giving up a 4th rounder for a guy I have only heard of in passing.
    I hope Howie, Big Red, and Banner know what they are doing, because we need someone who can put pressure on the qb. People can say we need a safety, and we do, but we can help the safety by getting pressure w/o blitzing.
    I hate reading PE.com and Spadaro keeps justifying Juqua’s production because of his sack numbers. Well, when your team blitzes as much as the birds do, you better be able to spring yourself free from time to time! J.P. had 1 sack last year when the Eagles weren’t blitzing! ONE!

29. ninjapleazee says: Mar 16, 2010 7:58 PM

I never understood why Eagles were so big on Clemons a few years ago…

30. Eagles4life says: Mar 16, 2010 8:04 PM

Really? Its certainly an upgrade. I say that not knowing anything about Tapp but he was a 2nd round pick and we gave up a piece of trash and a 4th rounder… so I guess there’s some upside to it. Maybe our d-line coach can do something with him.
    Recent activity: Marlin Jackson (safety signing), Tapp (defensive end trade), LB in the first round? I think the Eagles FO is going to make a move at LB with a player of similar talent as these guys so that they can either 1) Draft Oline or 2) Draft best player available in either of the following: Oline, D-line, LB or Safety.
    If that’s the strategy I can’t argue with it.

31. uncle fester says: Mar 16, 2010 8:04 PM

I’m beginning to think Pete Carroll’s strategy involves getting #1 overall in the 2011 draft…

32. FumbleNuts says: Mar 16, 2010 8:06 PM

The Eagles sent their fourth-round pick to Seattle with Clemons.
    Clemons….whatever. But that 4th rounder the Seahawks can use in so many ways!

33. toonster says: Mar 16, 2010 8:09 PM

The 4th rounder makes the deal sound a bit better for the Seahawks. That said, it’s still a good deal for the Eagles.
    Carroll wants to retool the team to his shape. I don’t think Clemons was as important as the 4th rounder.
    Btw, for all the talk about Clemons mediocrity, he might still be a decent nickel rusher if utilized correctly. Overall, a nickel rusher and a 4th round pick for a backup/number 3/borderline starting end? Seahawks fans … I wouldn’t get that worked up.

34. VernonK says: Mar 16, 2010 8:17 PM

I like this move. Tapp is a pretty good player, hopefully he brings production to that left side.

35. whoaleckna says: Mar 16, 2010 8:22 PM

Good trade. Eagles needed a run stuffing DE and Clemons had little worth on their D. 4th rd pick is telling.

36. cizzie4shizzie says: Mar 16, 2010 8:28 PM

Eagles suck. The only way they are winning a SB is if there is a flood or terror attack in Philly

37. PhillyBen says: Mar 16, 2010 8:33 PM

Would you rather the Eagles sign Tapp to an offer sheet and give up a 2nd rounder or hand them Clemons and a 4th? Exactly so have faith that the FO sees something in this young guy.
    At the very least he will see the field, something that Clemons was unable to do beyond one good postseason with the Birds.

38. SirRibbit says: Mar 16, 2010 8:41 PM

Birds have a 1st a 2nd, two-3rds and two-4th rounders plus a few later and two compensation picks. I agree the 4th is a lot, but Big Red will move up if he wants someone, and Clemons didn’t do sh*t so I think this is a solid.
    Remember last year we just traded back all the way from the 3rd until the 5th round? That was because Andy knew this draft was better than last years, and we still managed to find Ingram and Fokou after that.

39. Kevin C says: Mar 16, 2010 9:10 PM

Haha! Eagles just got robbed. A player and a 4th round pick for the smallest DE in the league? I’ll take it. The only time you hear his name called is against the Rams

40. igglesfan31 says: Mar 16, 2010 9:25 PM

I like the trade. Clemmons wasn’t much after he got paid (like most mediocre over paid players), so I won’t miss him. Losing a 4th doesn’t hurt as much as losing a 2nd. Tapp is a good young player with loads of an upside. Hopefully we get to see his full potential!

41. jan van flac says: Mar 16, 2010 9:29 PM

I believe this year every single member of the Eagles’ practice squad on opening day ended up on someone else’s active roster by the end of the season. Many of them were draft picks.
    Using a 4th on a proven NFL player who is only taking the roster spot of someone you just traded away is better then using a 4th on someone who you don’t even have room for on the roster.

42. 56lightsout56 says: Mar 16, 2010 9:40 PM

this trade would give one to wonder if the Seahawks are gathering addtional draft choices in order to complete a compensation package for signing Charlie Whitehurst to an offer sheet ;)

43. Wartooth says: Mar 16, 2010 9:48 PM

You Eagles fans don’t know much about Tapp.
    The guy is undersized, and never lived up to his draft position. The only reason he was taken in the 2nd round was because Ruskell is an idiot, and couldn’t evaluate college talent if someone was holding a gun to his head.

44. jan van flac says: Mar 16, 2010 11:48 PM

270 lbs is undersized?

45. Stealthhawk says: Mar 17, 2010 1:43 AM

46. scottybee says: Mar 17, 2010 4:29 AM

Good trade for Eagles…Clemons would not have made the roster in 2010..we trade a 4th rounder for an effective end..very good move

47. Jaydub says: Mar 17, 2010 7:16 AM

“Eagles fans on here are unreal. I bet they’ve never even heard of Tapp but since they acquired him, they’re off tooting their own horns, “Oh, he’s a great young player, so much upside!” Quit your BS’ing.”
    —————————————————
    Thats what they do. A guy could be “big time overrated and pure garbage” 12 hours before, and as soon as the pen touches the paper and he becomes an Eagle, he’s a “career pro-bowler with H-U-G-E upside”, not to mention a “big time upgrade”, no matter who he’s replacing.
    They set the bar low and are ecstatic with Division Championships. Just pity them and let them have their fun. The rest of us have nothing to worry about as long as Reid and McNabb are there.

48. Duck Fallas says: Mar 17, 2010 7:50 AM

Never heard of Tapp. Clemons made maybe 5 plays during his time in Philly, and most of them on special teams. This puts Juqua Parker’s job stability into question.
    Oh, and the Eagles won’t draft a linebacker in the first round. And unless they’re a rush backer, it’s not worth it.

49. FreeAgentPro says: Mar 17, 2010 10:33 AM

This seems to be a trade for a 4th rounder. Perhaps stockpling picks for the Brandon Marshall trade.

50. Whiterhinocerous says: Mar 17, 2010 3:32 PM

# Jaydub says: March 17, 2010 7:16 AM
    ———————
    Who’s your team? I’ll bet it’s the terrifying soon-to-be-champs, the Washington Redskins.