Jeff Garcia says JaMarcus Russell didn't want to be helped

On the same day that Willie Brown of the Raiders said that JaMarcus Russell has lost weight and gotten into shape, former Raiders (for a short while) quarterback Jeff Garcia teed off regarding Russell.

Appearing Tuesday with our friends Josh and Jeff of Xtra Sports 1360 AM in San Diego, Garcia was candid regarding his views on Russell, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2007 draft.

“As much as I was willing and open to helping the young guy, he’s gotta want to be open and willing to be helped himself, and he’s gotta want to get after it himself, as far as his own goals, his own motivation,” Garcia said.  “You can’t necessarily push those buttons with certain people.  And so you know I hope he figures it out, I hope he turns it around, because if he doesn’t soon he may find himself out of this league, just by the way this league operates.  They can’t wait around forever for the guy to turn the investment into a positive situation.”

Supposedly, Russell finally has decided to make that commitment.  He reportedly has shown up today for offseason workouts after missing Monday, and he supposedly is somewhere south of a weight that would cause the needle of a standard bathroom scale to bust the peg.

Whether Russell finally has decided that he’s not content simply being the guy who was the first pick in 2007 remains to be seen.  If he’s ever going to get serious about his career, now is the time.

Permalink 50 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
50 Responses to “Jeff Garcia says JaMarcus Russell didn't want to be helped”
  1. ChunkyAssVomit says: Mar 16, 2010 5:18 PM

Garcia would know.
    That is why he “asked” to be released.
    He knew J. Russ is plain LAZY !

2. WarrenMoonGOAT says: Mar 16, 2010 5:18 PM

just a question but did TO have an issue with Jeff Garcia because he was/is gay?

3. raiders177 says: Mar 16, 2010 5:18 PM

I agree with what Garcia said with regards to needing to step up, however its funny to hear it from him because he apparently just sulked for the month that he was a Raider.

4. Chapnasty2 says: Mar 16, 2010 5:18 PM

I simply love Russell bashing asticles because there is absolutely no debate on this guy.

5. football-fantasy-fanatics@blogspot says: Mar 16, 2010 5:23 PM

As I have said all along, as long as he is behind center this team is doomed for mediocrity at best. Now having said that, I will give him up to game one of the pre-season before I change my stance. Remember, his weight and his mechanics are not the issue here. It’s his HEAD! He lacks the leadership, discipline, ethic, and smarts to compete on this level. Maybe he has seen a shrink and worked on the most important aspects, but I don’t care how good he looks, lets see what decisions he makes. The biggest problem here is Al Davis. Think he had a nice talk with Jamarcus in the off-season and gave some serious ass chewing? Yeah, if Al hates one thing, it’s being wrong. It’s bad when primadonna Garcia calls you out! Next up, Davis hires a Sweedish doctor to transplant Sasquatch hands onto Heyward-Bey.

6. jb10 says: Mar 16, 2010 5:23 PM

judging by garcia’s cmments last year he had no interest in helping russell or any one else other than garcia.

7. anthony says: Mar 16, 2010 5:24 PM

My boy down in the bay area took some pics of him today and he looks a lot slimmer.. but slimmer dosen’t mix in with throwing a decent ball to wide open wr’s.
    But for the weight issue seems like he’s got it in that area of his game.. He should be a lot quicker but we will see.
    RAIDERS TILL I DIE!

8. football-fantasy-fanatics@blogspot says: Mar 16, 2010 5:24 PM

As I have said all along, as long as he is behind center this team is doomed for mediocrity at best. Now having said that, I will give him up to game one of the pre-season before I change my stance. Remember, his weight and his mechanics are not the issue here. It’s his HEAD! He lacks the leadership, discipline, ethic, and smarts to compete on this level. Maybe he has seen a shrink and worked on the most important aspects, but I don’t care how good he looks, lets see what decisions he makes. The biggest problem here is Al Davis. Think he had a nice talk with Jamarcus in the off-season and gave some serious ass chewing? Yeah, if Al hates one thing, it’s being wrong. Next up, Davis hires a Sweedish doctor to transplant Sasquatch hands onto Heyward-Bey.

9. danlinker says: Mar 16, 2010 5:24 PM

What a fool. You have Garcia there willing to help and you ignore him? Russell needs to get his head together.

10. Onderin says: Mar 16, 2010 5:24 PM

That’s complete and utter BS from Garcia. There were multiple reports that Garcia didn’t even attempt to help Russell. They were always separate. He never went over to Russell to give him advice on the field. He always did his own thing because he thought Russell would mess up enough for him to get a shot.
    Russell did mess up, but Garcia wanted out early hoping to get a shot somewhere else. He’s just a bitter guy who missed his shot at staying in the league.

11. Slow Joe says: Mar 16, 2010 5:24 PM

All I can think about is Carmella.

12. INVAIDUH says: Mar 16, 2010 5:26 PM

Make’m a DE.. Better yet just cut the lazy F#@k..

13. geek says: Mar 16, 2010 5:26 PM

He’s more than just the guy who was picked in 2007. He’s the multi-millionaire bust who was picked first overall in 2007. You guys give the guy no credit. Think about it. IF you really didn’t want to play football anymore, but liked money, he’s really set himself up! If his pride can swallow that, why not take advantage of the NFLPA and League’s inability to address such an obviously stupid payroll situation! The only people benefiting from this situation are the agents, so of course they can’t be expected to give unbiased advise to the players.

14. JSpicoli says: Mar 16, 2010 5:41 PM

Revisionist history from Garcia. Russell needs work on everything including his attitude, but Garcia was a sulker and complained from day one while a Raider. Happy UFL Jeff.

15. Catamount says: Mar 16, 2010 5:46 PM

Back to this Garcia -gay thing. I have seen pics of his girlfriend. HOT. What the hell is going on?

16. r8rsfan says: Mar 16, 2010 5:51 PM

17. chadgoy says: Mar 16, 2010 5:57 PM

Y’know what I like (sarcasm), is the fact that any story that comes out about Russell, and I mean ANY lil tidbit of information, and Florio is right there to personally put his 2 cents in and make it an article. Everyone is missing the fact that Russell did his time on the bench last year, and it appears that he is finally getting his $hit together. Vince Young didnt get his $hit together till mid year 4, and I’m pulling for Russell to do so at the start of this year. So until you press guys have factual information that Russell is dogging it this year, give him the benefit of a doubt and wait to chime in with all your expertise of how you know things will turn out. And as far as Garcia is concerned, I believe he was barely at the Raiders facility last year, so where does he get off saying he was always there for support (HAHAHA). There was a reason he was cut, and it wasnt because he was a role model team mate, its cuz he was too busy at home porkin his hot wife (I’ll give him that). Get off the bandwagon Florio, and give Jamarcus a break (for once).

18. Florio-is-a-tool says: Mar 16, 2010 6:03 PM

WarrenMoonGOAT, ever see Terrell Owens in public with a woman romantically? Closeted gay people often call other dudes gay. Speaking of which has anyone seen Chad Johnson in public with a woman? The NFL probably would frown on a serious couple in an NFL locker room.
    And yeah, Russell has made a very messy bed. He’ll be bankrupt within five years of leaving the league. Maybe he’ll share a cardboard house with Vick.

19. Lost says: Mar 16, 2010 6:04 PM

Jeff is a talented guy who should come back to Canada to finish his career.
    Jeff, you’re not doing yourself any good appearing on ‘kiss-and-tell’ radio down there. If the NFL wanted you it would have been last season. No NFL coach wants to his locker room stuff being discussed openly by a backup QB.
    Come back to the CFL and have some fun

20. Common Sense says: Mar 16, 2010 6:07 PM

You’re gay Garcia!

21. Island says: Mar 16, 2010 6:08 PM

Again, we can call Garcia a sulker, queer, metro, etc, whatever you want, but the reality is that last year, he bust his butt off during training camp to try to get the #1 position, but was passed over by Al anointing JaWalrus Bustell the opening day QB.
    Being as competitive as he is, I cannot fault the bod for asking for his release. Actually, I admire him for d asking for his release instead of collecting (note: not earning) a free cheque for a season (did you listen to that Jevon Can’tWalker?).
    Let’s hope that JaWalrus sprains his twinky or something – I can’t stand another season with this whale at the helm….

22. edgy1957 says: Mar 16, 2010 6:11 PM

Here’s the thing: I don’t buy it. Look, Russell hurt himself with his attitude and the team hurt him by making a moronic hire for a QB coach but Jeff’s just not that kind of QB. I’m sure that he and his fans my claim that he is but Tampa had a chance to keep him and they could have let him start like they did the others before they put Freeman out there to get experience and yet, they chose not to do it. You hear about guys that are “mentors” for the young QBs and then they turn out to be nothing of the kind and Garcia’s one of them. He’s more interested (even now) in being a starter than he is being a mentor.

23. tatum32 says: Mar 16, 2010 6:12 PM

# r8rsfan says: March 16, 2010 5:51 PM
    “Garcia was in the perfect situation to extend his career and be a starter. His impatience cost him. Gradkowski has a similar game to Garcia, and has become a fan favorite. Had JG just kept his mouth shut and put in the work he would be the odds on favorite to be the starter in 2010 having started several games in 2009. What a fool.”
    @r8rsfan …. absolutely right!

24. Bwa Ha Ha says: Mar 16, 2010 6:12 PM

Comments like this is why Garcia does not belong in a locker room.

25. Fonetik says: Mar 16, 2010 6:13 PM

I don’t think Garcia is gay. Not that it really proves anything, but his wife is smoking hot and I would give my left nut to get up in that squish mitten.

26. superbowl says: Mar 16, 2010 6:13 PM

Sasquatch – is this beast known for having good hands? i am very confused… was sasquatch playing catch with some fellas from Seattle?

27. kagriff24 says: Mar 16, 2010 6:20 PM

I knew the Fridge played some running back but didnt know he was a QB

28. JaMarcus Russell #2 says: Mar 16, 2010 6:20 PM

Jeff asked me to pretend to be a Center while he showed me how to snap the ball to a Quarterback… The strage thing was that we were naked in the shower and I was like
    ” Yo Jeff Garcia, I don’t need your kind of help!”

29. Raiders4Life24 says: Mar 16, 2010 6:21 PM

Just cut J Bust now!! We all know who is goin to win the supposed QB battle in Oakland!! Please Mr. Davis, cut Russel and give that money to the Raiders who really deserve it!!!!!! Go Raiders!

30. lifelongphinfan says: Mar 16, 2010 6:26 PM

garcia sulked when he was a raider because he wanted out. well where do all the crap players with attitudes and over inflated price tags end up? you guessed it- oakland so i would say russell is right where he belongs and he would be a great poster child for rookie salary caps,what another huge bust for the raiders.

31. Cincinnasty says: Mar 16, 2010 6:28 PM

This guy reminds me so much of Akili Smith it makes me think Oakland should sign Jeff Blake to back him up…

32. BleedingSilverAndBlack says: Mar 16, 2010 6:32 PM

Thanks Jeff. Big help.

33. shawnc16 says: Mar 16, 2010 6:36 PM

These dudes calling Garcia gay know damn well they haven’t been with a woman half as fine as Garcia’s wife.

34. Ray Guy says: Mar 16, 2010 6:37 PM

Island says: March 16, 2010 6:08 PM
    Again, we can call Garcia a ……. but the reality is that last year, he his butt off during training camp to try to get the #1 position, but was passed over by Al anointing JaWalrus ell the opening day QB.
    ____________________________________
    Far be it from me to say anything positive about Jafatbut, but don’t re-write history. Garcia was “injured” for most of training camp and never got his shot, Al or not. He should NOT have quit if he really wanted to play last season. As a crafty veteran, the handwriting was/is on the wall knowing JaFat-one would fail miserably, and Garcia would be starting by game 6.
    Jeff packed his bags and left on his own accord.
    I will still take Bruce Almighty over both of them though.

35. JimmyY says: Mar 16, 2010 6:44 PM

Raider tool fans will believe what they want. No matter how much he busted it, no way Al would let Garcia start ahead of Russell. Shut up Raider tools = fools. That’s the truth.

36. raiders177 says: Mar 16, 2010 6:56 PM

______________________________________
    What? He was hurt almost all of camp.

37. jkr says: Mar 16, 2010 7:04 PM

Of course he didn’t want to be helped he’s a fat terd,he can’t even push himself away from the table!

38. snnyjcbs says: Mar 16, 2010 7:09 PM

Get real, Garcia never even showed up at practice for the short time he was with the Raiders. He faked an injury so he would not have to work out and looked like a chump when given the chance to play in the preseason.
    As much as J Russ has to learn he was good enough to get the whole bunch booted out in Tampa and thump Garcia when it counted keeping Garcia and Tampa out of the Playoffs.
    Tell the old man to let it go already and to start hitting the stick looking for some work. Last time I checked J Russ was still employeed lol.

39. enders says: Mar 16, 2010 7:21 PM

florio-is-a-tool, so you’re saying you’re gay? Because you are on here calling another dude gay.

40. thehoodedone says: Mar 16, 2010 7:34 PM

Who told you Garcia sulked last year? The same guy who told you Randy Moss’s legs were shot and he couldn’t run anymore?!? I bet if I look in the archives I’ll find the exact same story about a a slimmer, more determined Russell from this time last year.

41. TheWizard says: Mar 16, 2010 8:13 PM

there is absolutely no debate on this guy.
    How about it.
    Everybody knows, or should know, he cashed in and he’s going to be Mr. minimum effort, and enjoy his money.
    Whether that changes now or in a year or two I don’t know, but I wouldn’t bet 10 bucks in favor of it.

42. braindead says: Mar 16, 2010 8:41 PM

Once again I waste ten minutes of my life reading stupid comments from stupid people. Seriously, are you all the same lame people who write and call Rome’s show? That’s why I listen to his opening segment, then switch stations. I cannot stomach the callers.

43. 1nationraidernation says: Mar 16, 2010 9:00 PM

well flo glad to see that you still throw in one of your J-russ pokes…
    Bottom line J-russ will still suck, DHB will not catch any deep passes, and D-mac won’t break any home runs until the raiders address the o-line…….anybody with any ounce of intelligence prior to the draft had all of these guys going right where they were supposae to go, except maybe DHB who was projected to go in the mid teens.
    So I guess with the current o-line situation all of these guys will be busts, since they all depend on some form of blocking.
    With that said if i was the raiders I would trade my 2nd and 3rd round pick to the pats for their first rd pick, and get a OLT at #8, and with Pats pick get either Iupati, or Pouncey.

44. ceetown22 says: Mar 16, 2010 11:03 PM

dude sux, raiders should cut their losses
    HAIL SKINS!

45. edgy1957 says: Mar 16, 2010 11:51 PM

Florio-is-a-tool says:
    WarrenMoonGOAT, ever see Terrell Owens in public with a woman romantically?
    ****************************
    Rock Hudson was seen a lot in public with a woman so what does that do for your theory?
    BTW, all that TO had to say about Garcia was in response to a question that he was asked NOT something that he offered up first as some people try to make it out and the rumors about Garcia were out there long before TO said anything.

46. gotime says: Mar 16, 2010 11:57 PM

is there anything funnier than hearing JG talk? i almost turned gay listening to him. But besides that, he is a damn good QB.

47. lifelongphinfan says: Mar 17, 2010 1:06 AM

RAIDERNATION- that would be a great improvement to the team now if you can get your crazy owner to listen to it the raiders o-fense would be on the right track

48. OLDCRACKER says: Mar 17, 2010 2:57 AM

They both have issues that need lots of therapy.

49. bringbacktheflex says: Mar 17, 2010 12:34 PM

braindead: I agree on the Rome thing. I do the same thing during football season – just listen to the opening segments and then turn it off. I’ve never seen a non-rap white guy try to be more “down” with the negro athlete. Pathetic.

50. Nard100 says: Mar 17, 2010 1:27 PM

@thehoodedone
    Good observation, because that is exactly what they were saying about him last year- in better shape. He still sucked.