Tomlinson says decision came down to Jets' offense

Jets running back LaDainian Tomlinson says his decision to play in New York, rather than Minnesota, came down to his familiarity with the Jets’ offensive coordinator, Brian Schottenheimer.

“I had two places that wanted me and I think the major decision it came down to was playing in a new offense or playing in an offense I already know with Brian Schottenheimer,” Tomlinson said on a conference call today.

Tomlinson said he was tempted by the offer from the Vikings, but that the Jets just felt like the right fit.

“It was pretty tough but when it comes down to it you’ve got to go with your gut and go with what you feel,” Tomlinson said.

As he approaches his 31st birthday in June, Tomlinson dismissed a question about whether he has slowed down, saying he’s still healthy and fast.

“I still have very good speed,” Tomlinson said. “I’m still in great shape. I think I’ll be able to prove that I have good speed.”

During the same conference call, Jets General Manager Mike Tannenbaum said he thought there would be enough carries to spread around between Tomlinson and Shonn Greene, and he said that Leon Washington is still in the team’s plans, and the team could also draft a running back.

“Maybe we’ll see LaDainian and Shonn in the same backfield, or LaDainian and Leon,” Tannenbaum said. “We’re going to run the ball a lot. That’s important to Rex [Ryan]. That’s our offensive philosophy.”

Tannenbaum also disputed any suggestion that the team’s decision not to keep Thomas Jones was motivated by cheapness.

“Our charge is to put the best team on the field,” Tannenbaum said, adding that Jets owner Woody Johnson “has given us tremendous support.”

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
13 Responses to “Tomlinson says decision came down to Jets' offense”
  1. WarrenMoonGOAT says: Mar 16, 2010 11:25 AM

ok, well this should be an exciting season for the Jets but come next year what will they do with Leon, he’s going to want a big contract

2. jimicos says: Mar 16, 2010 11:28 AM

Sign that contract.
    Sign that contract.
    Run that ball.
    Catch that pass.

3. Florio-is-a-tool says: Mar 16, 2010 11:30 AM

No one – repeat no one – rides a stationary bike during a game better than him.

4. zappa says: Mar 16, 2010 11:37 AM

Tannenbaum says publicly they are a better team with Tomlinson than Jones.

5. Popeye says: Mar 16, 2010 11:40 AM

LT will rush for 1200 and 10…..
    shonn green….hurt in week 2 (cough pussy..cough))

6. aec4 says: Mar 16, 2010 11:45 AM

if LT runs for 1200 and 10 like Popeye says, we got the STEAL of the year.
    While I do not think Shonn is a ….., I do think he’ll get hurt at 1 point in the season.

7. simple_simon1 says: Mar 16, 2010 12:02 PM

If Tomlinson wants that Superbowl ring he might have just made the right choice. This team is going to be good for quite a while. I don’t even know how anybody is going to score on this defense next year and the offense is starting to come together and is perfectly built for playoff football.
    I don’t think the Vikings will be the same dominant team next year. Their schedule gets harder and there’s going to be more competition even in their own division.

8. Nevisyakker says: Mar 16, 2010 12:09 PM

LT is a good guy, a credit to the game. As a vikings fan all I can say is, “good luck LT” you deserve to close your career wherever you feel most ready to contribute.
    Also, once he starts running behind the Jets O-line (one of the top 3 or 4 in the league) I think fans will see some glimpses of the LT of a few years ago.

9. bspurloc says: Mar 16, 2010 12:31 PM

dropping TJ was totally all about money grubbing….
    The guy ran for 1400+ yards and would have went more if they didn’t start making him stand on the side lines the last few games………

10. SdBoltz says: Mar 16, 2010 12:54 PM

I wish LT the best.
    Just remember Jets fans, his lingering injuries kept him on the sideline a lot more than our pass first scheme. He spent a large portion of the last 3 years hampered by injuries.

11. GBISFULLOFFATTIES says: Mar 16, 2010 1:02 PM

The Jets wont even make the playoffs next year. Shut up you homer retards!

12. muffinman says: Mar 16, 2010 1:17 PM

9 years in the league! That cold New York weather is gonn kill LT. He’s not playing in MN because because he would have been third on the totem pole, behind Lord Farve and Prince Peterson.

13. Chado says: Mar 16, 2010 4:24 PM

Lost all respect 4 you l.t he really thinks the jets have a chance of winning a championship is he crazy! Man l.t if yu really wanted to play 4 a championship yu would have went 2 da bikes who you fooling you want more playing time nd. More money so stop lying to us nd to ur self I’m not a l.t fan any more he showed me a lot with this