Andrews expected release, apologizes to Eagles

Former Eagles guard Shawn Andrews saw his release coming.

It was just a matter of when,” Andrews told 97.3 in South New Jersey. “I knew it was going to happen, or had a
feeling. I’m a realist. I knew it was gonna happen sooner or later
because they went to their lengths with me, and I appreciate it.”

Andrews sounded remarkably positive throughout the interview.  It was almost as if he was relieved.

“I really, really apologize from the bottom of my heart that I had to put
the whole city, the fans, my teammates, everybody through what I put
them though,” Andrews said.  “And I do apologize until I’m 10 toes to the sky. So
everybody’s gonna judge me and say what they want, but hey, I love life.
Go Eagles.”

One of the first messages Thursday from Andrews’ incredibly prolific Twitter account reflected that he may have been happy to start anew.

“YouEverNotice when u have a job sometime its hard waking up, but when u don’t have a
job u wake up early like u have X-Mas presents to open,” he wrote.

That’s probably not the message Andrews wants to send to teams interested in him.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
42 Responses to “Andrews expected release, apologizes to Eagles”
  1. Johnson says: Mar 18, 2010 2:36 PM

if he is truly sorry then he should give back all the money he made the past 2 seasons when he didn’t play. “I really, really apologize from the bottom of my heart that I had to put the whole city, the fans, my teammates, everybody through what I put them though,” — bull! give back the $ then we might believe you.

2. igglesfan31 says: Mar 18, 2010 2:36 PM

97.5 Gregg. If he was that sorry he would reimburse the $250.00 I spent on his jersey!! And reading some of his tweets, he’s a friggin idiot! Take ur apology elsewhere!

3. Bwa Ha Ha says: Mar 18, 2010 2:37 PM

What a shame he didn’t get it earlier.

4. palewook says: Mar 18, 2010 2:39 PM

a talented headcase who won’t be able to demand much of an nfl salary. mike brown be calling soon with a contract in hand..

5. Brooklyn Eagle says: Mar 18, 2010 2:39 PM

YouEverNotice when u got paid its hard waking up, but when u have a rookie contract its easy to make the pro bowl
    —-
    There you go. Fixed.

6. Manel_Noreaga says: Mar 18, 2010 2:47 PM

much better job with this article than that fool florio did with his…way to catch it the way “big baby” andrews would have wanted it…maybe you should do pft daily so we would have to see florio’s face daily.

7. Fonetik says: Mar 18, 2010 2:51 PM

I’m pretty sure the guy’s half retarded, based on his Tweets. Anybody know what his Wonderlic score was? I’m guessing single digits.

8. Nobe says: Mar 18, 2010 3:00 PM

He doesn’t want teams to be interested in him. He doesn’t want to play.

9. Duck Fallas says: Mar 18, 2010 3:00 PM

igglesfan31 says:
    March 18, 2010 2:36 PM
    ===================================================
    Buying an authentic interior lineman’s jersey is right up there with getting a personalized jersey with your last name on it – just don’t do it man.

10. clintonrb says: Mar 18, 2010 3:04 PM

Do you think hes still valuable as a lineman?
    Does think that he would have audacity to demand top money after his screwy history?
    Lions here he comes..

11. WarrenMoonGOAT says: Mar 18, 2010 3:07 PM

u guys make it seem like he brought down the organization…what exactly did he do wrong besides not live up to his potential?

12. jordanv says: Mar 18, 2010 3:08 PM

As a diehard eagle fan, I just wish it would’ve worked out with this guy…..so so talented!!

13. zappa says: Mar 18, 2010 3:13 PM

What kind of loser spends $250 on an OLG jersey, IDIOT!

14. Poo Flinging Monkey says: Mar 18, 2010 3:16 PM

Both he and his brother Stacy are sleazeballs. Shawn robs the Eagles, Stacy misled the Bengals, leading to his signing with Philly.
    A lot of money has been wasted on these two, and they’ll laugh all the way to the bank.

15. tombrookshire says: Mar 18, 2010 3:16 PM

His twitter comment proves out what everyone thought of him anyway – his lazy butt was doggin it and he is now relieved to not have a job anymore. He never wanted the one he had, with his claims of depression. I won’t cast doubt on the back injury since it isn’t our place as fans to judge the severity of an injury to a guy. But this dude sure is a head case, with the tweeting, the singing and the things he says. He is an enigma, indeed. When/if he figures out that he wants to return to football, he will have to take a league minimum loaded with incentives to earn his way onto the Redskins or Raiders, the two worst-run teams in football and the only ones likely to put up with him.

16. vikingfan says: Mar 18, 2010 3:18 PM

vikings?

17. tombrookshire says: Mar 18, 2010 3:19 PM

Duck Fallas says:
    March 18, 2010 3:00 PM
    igglesfan31 says:
    March 18, 2010 2:36 PM
    ===================================
    ___________________________________
    Paying $250.00 for any football jersey means you have too much money and time on your hands. Jeff Lurie and Joe Banner thank you.

18. scorpiodsu says: Mar 18, 2010 3:22 PM

__________________________
    Agreed. Definite violation. I don’t think I would have let anyone known I paid 250 bucks for an offensive lineman’s jersey.
    In other news I have an authentic Desean Jackson for sale for 500. Has to be worth more than Andrews. Right?

19. Citizen Strange says: Mar 18, 2010 3:24 PM

I think Derek Anderson will do well with Whiz in Arizona. He’s got the big arm – that’s the part you can’t coach – and now he’s got some great coaching and receivers and beautiful throwing conditions.
    Anderson will be the Cardinals starter before long. You have to have a QB who puts the fear of a pass completed over their heads into the hearts of DBs.
    Can you imagine Leinart trying to throw in December in Cleveland?

20. Kevin from Philly says: Mar 18, 2010 3:24 PM

The interview WAS on 97.3 – it’s an Atlantic City based station. You’re thinking of 97.5 in Philly. Now, apologize to Greggg.

21. trademcscab says: Mar 18, 2010 3:24 PM

WarrenMoonGOAT says:
    March 18, 2010 3:07 PM
    we was the best lineman in the league for 2 years…got his deal and like 50 cent got rich and stopped tryin…… he lived up to the potential and then took a 2 year nap….now all of a sudden his deppression is gone?

22. Akshun says: Mar 18, 2010 3:30 PM

@ igglesfan31…
    It is 97.3FM the station is in Atlantic City.. just because you live in Philly doesnt mean their isnt other FM stations around.. 97.3 was on before 97.5FM

23. Rickah99 says: Mar 18, 2010 3:33 PM

Yet another Eagles castoff that will fade into oblivion!

24. Mooch says: Mar 18, 2010 3:34 PM

Dear Shawn,
    Just go. We don’t care.
    You are now in a narrow set of Philly sports alumni – guys who cared so little about what they did, guys that lacked any professional pride whatsoever.
    It gets to the point where we don’t even care – that the team and fans were cheated, that someone threw away their talent, that a guy stole money (and, yes, I am saying that in this instance).
    Your colleagues in this fraternity….
    Eric Lindros
    Erik McMillian
    Shawn Bradley
    Chris Webber
    The Bad Derrick Coleman (we saw the Good One as well)
    Vernon Maxwell
    To name a few.

25. Mooch says: Mar 18, 2010 3:36 PM

He actually ate his wonderlic test, and was awarded no points.

26. philbirds says: Mar 18, 2010 3:40 PM

Hahah a couple of years ago I was deciding between Andrews, Lito, and Reggie Brown jerseys and thank god I never ended up buying any to add to my standard Dawkins

27. Mr Krinkle says: Mar 18, 2010 3:45 PM

If he just doesn’t have the desire to play football, I have no problem with that. But the way he went about it was f*cked up, faking depression and injuries. Just retire and stop stealing a paycheck.

28. philbirds says: Mar 18, 2010 3:50 PM

Pat Burrell was saved from that above list in his final hour

29. clintonrb says: Mar 18, 2010 3:51 PM

Someone is going to take a chance on him,
    when he plays hes a top lineman
    ……
    maybe a change of pace will do the guy good..
    maybe sign him as a 2nd or 3rd string for the min..
    would any of you want him on your team?

30. Fonetik says: Mar 18, 2010 3:54 PM

I have a slightly used Todd Pinkston jersey for sale if you want it. It’s a bargain, $200.

31. VoxVagina says: Mar 18, 2010 3:57 PM

Some of you people hate Shawn Andrews unsreasonably. He used to be great but the depression clearly affected him. Could have been the result of back problems, or maybe the result of witnissing some tragic things in his life. He obviously had some things going on in his mind. He had all the potential in the world, and it sucks that it couldn’t work out
    @tombrookshire
    You say it’s not our place as fans to judge the severity of an injury but you imply that his depression was just an excuse. Contraditing yourself? You have no idea what was going on in his mind. depression is a serious condition, not some excuse

32. Mooch says: Mar 18, 2010 4:03 PM

Glenn Robinson
    Eddie Jordan
    Let’s just say its 66% of all 76er’s since 1983.

33. Sceptorx says: Mar 18, 2010 4:11 PM

Boy he suckered the eagles and the fans LOL, Thanks for the Cash!, BYE, Weeeeeeeeeee

34. Mooch says: Mar 18, 2010 4:11 PM

Vox – we will find out soon, won’t we? He’ll sign with a new team and either continue on this path or return to dominance. If the latter occurs, we’ll be justified in claiming that this guy dogged it to get out of town and into a better deal.

35. rkell21 says: Mar 18, 2010 4:19 PM

I’ll miss him. Eagles screen pass game hasn’t been the same since he went crazy.
    But if he goes somewhere else and returns to pro-bowl caliber, i’m gonna be so pissed. It’s like when you date a fat girl and you break up, then she loses a ton of weight.

36. scottybee says: Mar 18, 2010 4:26 PM

He won’t ever start in the NFL again..finished

37. DJSlyBri says: Mar 18, 2010 4:31 PM

I have no doubt that Andrews will come back and play at Pro Bowl form. No doubt at all. Thanks for nothing Shawn.

38. doubldipp says: Mar 18, 2010 4:58 PM

let’s just hope he didn’t do all this to get out of a contract. That would be a shame…

39. Jerz420 says: Mar 18, 2010 5:24 PM

It’s pretty easy 4 him to say that when he gets what he wanted n he still got paid. So 2 me he can take his apology n stick it where the sun don’t shine. Too little n far 2 late I mean really what do u have to b depressed about he needs to spend a week in the real world. Fat waste of time, space and money.

40. MagicMan407 says: Mar 19, 2010 8:49 AM

tombrookshire says:
    March 18, 2010 3:16 PM
    Thats fine with me send him to the Redskins.

41. Bird Man says: Mar 19, 2010 10:48 AM

You can just say South Jersey, not South New Jersey. Idiot.

42. ChargersRoll13209 says: Mar 20, 2010 4:08 PM

I would be depressed if I lived in Philly as well. Really what is there that someone can get excited about?? Absolutely Nothing!!!