Dez Bryant defends himself

col_bryant_250.jpgIn response to multiple accounts of character issues and tardiness problems, receiver Dez Bryant took to the airwaves on Thursday to defend himself.

All of it is just rumors,” Bryant told
Orlando Alzugaray of WQAM radio in Miami, via the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.  “I don’t know why people are saying
those things.  I feel like if you’re going to write something about
somebody you need to ask that person instead of writing things like
that.  I surround myself with positive people.  I don’t have time to get
into trouble.  I’m trying to pursue my dream, which is to play in the NFL. . . .  I never did anything wrong.  I
never committed a crime.

“It bothers me a lot,” Bryant said of the criticism.  “I just had a talk with my advisor and
my agent [Wednesday], and I told them that I’m not a bad person and I’m
not used to people saying bad things about me.  I like to make people
smile.  I like to bring excitement because that’s what I do, and I want
to keep it that way.  I don’t want a bad image.  My bad image in my
childhood, that is long gone.  I’ve surrounded myself with bright people
and I’m going to continue to stay out of trouble and move forward and
play in the NFL.”

Bryant also claims that he had no issue with showing up on time while in college.

“I’ve never been late to a game or a practice,” Bryant said.  “My freshman year, I’ve
been late for a meeting.  But as my career got going at Oklahoma State I
[became more responsible].  I overcame a lot.  Everything is positive
now.”

Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reported several weeks ago that Bryant was “consistently late” for team activities, including games.

Of course, it’s hard to believe Bryant on this one, because he proved last year when lying to NCAA investigators that he’ll say whatever he has to say in order to advance his own interests.  Thus, the fact that he was lying then will make it hard to believe that he’s telling the truth now.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
26 Responses to “Dez Bryant defends himself”
  1. RaidersBlowChunks says: Mar 19, 2010 9:58 PM

Antonio’s twin brother acts just like he does.

2. MasterShake says: Mar 19, 2010 10:08 PM

Heeeelllllllloooooo Randy Moss Jr. Welcome to Minnesota. (For now)

3. Real Vikings fans wouldn't cheer for Favre says: Mar 19, 2010 10:18 PM

No need to defend yourself Dez..Jerry Jones won’t care.

4. Darth Vader says: Mar 19, 2010 10:28 PM

Your such a grouch florio. The NCAA is a abusive,power-obsessed, arrogant organization intent on annihilating anything that doesn’t comply with its interests who cares if he freaking lied to them.

5. aious says: Mar 19, 2010 10:28 PM

When there is smoke, there is fire
    He lied to the NCAA and caused himself to get suspended last season thus all teams have a right to wonder how trustful the kid is
    His fault

6. TexansMike says: Mar 19, 2010 10:31 PM

I’m not trying to defend Dez or anyone else, but it sure seems like you people report a lot of unsubstantiated crap.
    If there is nothing to report, take a day off like other people. Maybe then you can write articles that might mean something when people read them.
    I’m just about fed up with this site.

7. KingJoffeJoffer says: Mar 19, 2010 10:34 PM

Yeah a twenty year old kid makes up a white lie because he is scared about his future and now he has character issues. He didnt lie about an arrest or something criminal. He lied about going to Deion Sanders’ house. Why would he say he was never late other than one occurence if it wasnt true? If he is lying it would look much worse. Mr. Florio you sir are an a$$hole.

8. MrSalamander says: Mar 19, 2010 10:49 PM

Welcome to what those who’ve gone before you have created, Dez. Prove the talkers wrong, or be the douche we all sadly expect. Thems the breaks – especially when those of us w/o your ability are just happy to find enough to get by. There’s an opportunity there for anyone with vision to see it and take advantage – and little sympathy for those who don’t.

9. bigtrav425 says: Mar 19, 2010 11:21 PM

Who cares as long as he produces on the field and doesnt molest kids…the No Fun League is to worried about little things and to busy trying to be the Nazi’s they are

10. DB26 says: Mar 19, 2010 11:24 PM

I will catch a ton of $h!t for this one, but:
    Dez Bryant will = Calvin Johnson
    He will be a model player and citizen wherever he ends up. In my opinion, alot of this is what we have all known as draft positioning or posturing. Someone in the 10-15 range does not want to spend the price it will take to move up in front of Oakland to get him and wants to see his stock drop. This isn’t the first or the last time we will see this happen. All of these media folks make a nice supplementary income to spread rumors of sorts to hurt a players character so that they will possibly fall.

11. Mr. Common Sense says: Mar 19, 2010 11:37 PM

Why is it the collective known as Wide Receivers seems to have a disproportionate amount of loose screws?

12. LiveNBreatheFootball says: Mar 19, 2010 11:37 PM

Maybe he would be doing a better job of proving himself if his advisor weren’t Deon Sanders.

13. hnirobert says: Mar 19, 2010 11:38 PM

PFT is getting a lot of stories off Miami’s local sports radio station.

14. antneejay2 says: Mar 19, 2010 11:41 PM

I heard he was late for the interview.

15. Mean D says: Mar 19, 2010 11:46 PM

And he is lying now.

16. ninerfan says: Mar 19, 2010 11:59 PM

NFL scouts should be able to verify his punctuality rather quickly with a few simple phone calls to his college coaches.

17. dcbronco says: Mar 20, 2010 12:22 AM

I applaud anyone that lies to the NCAA. That bunch of money hungry, exploitation artist need to be lied to as often as possible.

18. Howyadoin says: Mar 20, 2010 4:02 AM

God bless the SOUTHERN Religion (FootBall) Forgive those Who Shall Benefit You……. I wish I could testify…..Fools.

19. The Silencer 10 says: Mar 20, 2010 4:37 AM

Its called pro football talk..Dez is not a pro “yet” ..so who cares about him…shut up n lets talk Eagles football baby…jerry jones can eat sh!t……

20. Drat says: Mar 20, 2010 5:52 AM

Tardiness is bad stuff. Pitch him in with those other shady NFL characters, you know, the ones who break into apartments, party with under-aged girls, drive through Wendy’s naked, bite policemen in the ear, gamble, stab people, kill dogs, kill people drunkenly on the road, rectum drag, etc. etc. I was always taught not to be tardy.

21. FireJerryJones says: Mar 20, 2010 6:25 AM

So, if a guy $ays “I’m not a bad person”, we should all stop watching what he does and start believeing him.
    He’s gonna get paid millions. Roethlisberger and Woods know that – what you do in private – matters.
    Hangin’ out with Pacman will cost this guy what he value$$$$ mo$t.

22. jersey73 says: Mar 20, 2010 8:04 AM

A diva receiver?!?!?! Say it isn’t true.
    There’s one in every draft.

23. bonecity7 says: Mar 20, 2010 8:39 AM

TexansMike,
    Don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out………

24. brasho says: Mar 20, 2010 8:56 AM

Lie to me once, shame on you, lie to me twice…
    Bryant has done nothing but claim he is a victim, he said he did nothing wrong in lying to the NCAA and that they were unfair… this is not what anybody that would be giving him millions of dollars wants to hear. They’d like somebody that takes responsibility for their actions, not this juvenile story telling egomaniac.
    Then Bryant admits he was a major problem as a child, that’s not a surprise, it’s just surprising he admitted it. The guy’s a liar and should not be trusted.

25. Chexmate35 says: Mar 20, 2010 9:22 AM

Dont worry Dez, It doesnt matter how bad you screw up, there is always a place in cincinnati for ya……and that is sad to say considering Im a Bengals fan..

26. Chexmate35 says: Mar 20, 2010 9:27 AM

Oh yeah Dez, you surround yourself with good people huh? But yet you make a special apperance at a workout of pac-man jones….Yeah real good people there….Hey while your at it, why dont you give Mike Vick a call and all three of you guys can go out for a few drinks….. you will really help your status out then…