D.J. Williams passes on workout bonus

D. Williams.jpgBroncos linebacker D.J. Williams is choosing not to earn a $100,000 workout bonus so he can train in Miami in the offseason.

“He’s been in touch with the Broncos about his plans,” Williams’ agent Tony Fleming said. “This isn’t some kind of message or anything. He just has a good workout program going at home.”

I can empathize.  One time, a co-worker at Rotoworld offered to pick up a free iced coffee for me, but I totally passed on it.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
27 Responses to “D.J. Williams passes on workout bonus”
  1. HarrisonHits says: Mar 19, 2010 10:49 AM

“Williams is set to earn $6 million in 2010, so 100K probably doesn’t seem like much to him.”

2. blancanieve says: Mar 19, 2010 10:50 AM

I can empathize. One time, a co-worker at Rotoworld offered to pick up a free iced coffee for me, but I totally passed on it. STUPID THING TO SAY PLS GET A LIFE. Maybe he wants to be close to home at the moment to spend some time with his family before the real stuff starts

3. BenRapistberger says: Mar 19, 2010 10:59 AM

Maybe he thinks his workout program will yield better results which in some form of incentives or future contract will earn him more than 100k.
    And maybe you guys should post a new story everytime some random player decides not to participate in voluntary workouts and looses a workout bonus.

4. TexansMike says: Mar 19, 2010 11:00 AM

If someone was paying me 6 million a year, I would be where they want me to be when they wanted me to be there.
    What’s with todays atheletes?

5. FireJerryJones says: Mar 19, 2010 11:02 AM

… one time at band camp…

6. trimitdan says: Mar 19, 2010 11:02 AM

He’s giving up alot of gold teeth on that one!

7. Jackson says: Mar 19, 2010 11:02 AM

so what price would you put on a program that could put him in a position to be a better player on the field by being better conditioned thus preventing injury and fatigue? I’d say it would be more than $100k.
    think

8. milehiclown says: Mar 19, 2010 11:03 AM

Harrison Hits says it right. If anybody can afford to blow money by not showing up is Champ Bailey. But he shows up anyway. Because he is 1)a man and 2)a puts the team first.
    Sadly, DJ hasn’t learned that from Champ. Maybe because he ISN’T AROUND.

9. Daws84 says: Mar 19, 2010 11:07 AM

hey blancanieve…it was joke….shut up

10. Stoogie says: Mar 19, 2010 11:10 AM

Isn’t he a former Miami Hurricane? They all work out together in the off season. Something about forming a circle…..
    And iced coffee? Aren’t you supposed to be in journalism? Even Peter-freaking-King doesn’t drink iced coffee and he’s the pinnacle of foo-foo caffeinated drinks.
    Grow a set and start drinking real coffee. You know the saying … “I like my coffee like I like my women. Bitter.” Not “I like my coffee like I like my women. Icy.” Just doesn’t work.

11. Action Dan says: Mar 19, 2010 11:15 AM

Making the right choices when it comes to conditioning in the spring can add years to a player’s career, which equates to millions of dollars.
    It’s a fact that some teams simply don’t have a good program and if DJ really believes that’s true of the Broncos (not saying it is), this is a no-brainer.

12. wkedklwnz says: Mar 19, 2010 11:16 AM

You’re example is exactly the same. Bravo.

13. Iron Wolf says: Mar 19, 2010 11:20 AM

LOL @ trimitdan

14. cbatchel says: Mar 19, 2010 11:22 AM

probably has a better workout at home.

15. broncosteviep says: Mar 19, 2010 11:27 AM

This is not what a team leader does……team leaders show up and lead by example.

16. thegoldengod says: Mar 19, 2010 11:32 AM

The U has a pretty close knit alumni—this is nothing new. I think it can be justified for 1 of 2 reasons (or both):
    A. The workouts are great (100k for training…justified)
    B. The parties/Miami is great— (100k justified…easy)

17. kpweaver27 says: Mar 19, 2010 11:36 AM

Wow, that’s a lot of negative comments from a lot of naive people. You’d think the people coming to Pro Football Talk would know about football a bit more. They’re acting as if DJ is the first player to spurn team offseason workouts. There is a huge player only workout session in the summers in Miami where I know Edgerrin James used to go and Reggie Wayne still goes. Anyways, these guys spend 2/3rds of their time with the same crew. Its not a terrible thing to find a different crew occasionally, especially if their training staff is wanting in any way.
    milehiclown. Its offseason voluntary workouts. Get your panties out of a bunch and relax.

18. mbeltran93 says: Mar 19, 2010 12:12 PM

It’s amazing how people bash others of course when the person isn’t around. These people are professionals, leadership and team “togetherness” are things fans make up in their own mind. D.J Williams has always been a solid player and great when it comes to training in the off season. So if the guy wants to train at home, LET HIM.

19. Duck Fallas says: Mar 19, 2010 12:19 PM

I like my women like I like my coffee. Ground up and stored in the freezer.

20. Bubby Brister says: Mar 19, 2010 12:26 PM

Makes me wonder if everyone went when the team was winning super bowls.

21. Old School says: Mar 19, 2010 12:31 PM

This is proof positive that players are grossly overpaid. More than rookie pay needs to be addressed in the CBA.
    The Packers have a player who’s been on IR for most of the 3 years they’ve had him and signed a tender for over a mil this year. THAT’S OBSCENE!!!!
    I know it makes GB look dumb, but it seems to be common throughout the NFL. We overpay athletes and entertainers who contribute nothing to society and underpay those who make a real difference in all our lives.

22. pae12 says: Mar 19, 2010 12:52 PM

Everyone knows that that sh*t was funny, 100k or not he should be there for 6 mill this year. Look at Champ if you want a good example!

23. hizzle1281 says: Mar 19, 2010 12:56 PM

Old School
    BEAUTIFUL!

24. T3d Strik3r says: Mar 19, 2010 1:12 PM

Rosenthal is 10x the writer that Florio is. Great addition to PFT.
    Too bad most of the commentors on this site are like “blancanieve”, who has the mental capacity of a two-toed sloth.

25. texasPHINSfan says: Mar 19, 2010 2:30 PM

“HarrisonHits says:
    March 19, 2010 10:49 AM
    And 10 years from now when he’s blown all his money he’s going to wish he’d made that extra 100k and realize what an idiot he was for not doing so.”
    No crap. It’s going to be hard to feel sorry for these guys when they’re NFL retirees and complaining about lack of money or benefits.
    These guys aren’t very fiscally responsible or smart. $100k just for going to the gym with your team for a few weeks? Crap, sign me up!

26. TwoHands says: Mar 19, 2010 3:11 PM

kpweaver got it exactly right. A lot of Miami Hurricanes work out together in the offseason — NFL players and current Hurricanes. They call it Camp Hell and they work the bejeebus out of each other, a lot harder than NFL offseason training. DJ Williams basically paid 100K to be in better shape when Denver’s training camp opens.
    One other thing — I don’t know where he lives now but he was a California kid before he went to Miami so it may not be accurate to say he’s spending the summer at home.

27. Bears0492 says: Mar 19, 2010 3:28 PM

Rosenthel…… you’re a f**king weirdo