Nearly 1,200 Saints fans are losing their season tickets

For nearly 1,200 fans of the defending Super Bowl champions, the powers-that-be are paving paradise, and putting up a press box.

According to WWL-TV, three sections of seats are being removed from the Superdome for construction of a new press box.  The old press box is being converted into 16 new luxury suites, and the new press box is knocking out 1,200 seats.

The Saints began calling the affected customers this week to break the news.

Though they’ll move to the front of the 50,000-person waiting list, the 1,200 fans will be on the outside looking in until 1,200 people give up their seats.

“Coming off of how successful this team was and the way this team has
really woven into this city’s fabric, the people really got behind this
franchise during this season and to say you can’t come back next year to
watch, that’s just going to be crushing and there’s no real great way
to spin it,” Roland Gau, consumer behavior professor at Tulane
University, told WWL-TV.

Here’s hoping that the Saints at least find a way to get the 1,200 affected fans into the Superdome on the evening of September 9, when the Who Dats will be celebrating their first-ever NFL title.

Permalink 71 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
71 Responses to “Nearly 1,200 Saints fans are losing their season tickets”
  1. tombradyswig says: Mar 19, 2010 6:32 PM

Tom Brady wears a wig.

2. BroncFanOr says: Mar 19, 2010 6:34 PM

What a way to show appreciation to your fan base.
    God I hate how corporate the NFL has become.

3. ihnen0840 says: Mar 19, 2010 6:34 PM

cue the anti-Florio/Vikes comments! Vikes will avenge their shitty NFC title game performance and rip the Saints a new sharthole

4. edgy1957 says: Mar 19, 2010 6:35 PM

“they powers-that-be”
    Mike, you don’t need to post this. Just take that y out of “they” to make it right. :)

5. iambruce says: Mar 19, 2010 6:35 PM

This isn’t Detroit!!!!

6. robertamberg says: Mar 19, 2010 6:36 PM

This should be handled on the basis of seniority, not location. Those persons with less senority should lose their tickets before the 1200 being displaced.

7. nfcbeast says: Mar 19, 2010 6:36 PM

Way to treat your most die hard fans N.O. wow….
    This is a great way to say “thank you for all of your support” than build suites that cost more and sit fewer people…..
    Yet Again, the NFL is a business….they just won the Super Bowl so why not get more money out of the suites then the 1200 season tix ppl?
    HAHA

8. edgy1957 says: Mar 19, 2010 6:37 PM

This is another shameful example of why the owners and NOT the players are screwing the fans but I’m sure that the ownership apologizers will find a way to spin it as the players’ fault.

9. trademcscab says: Mar 19, 2010 6:39 PM

owners are dirtbags…..its ashame that nfl teams are forgetting that the real people that make the their team tic are NOT wearing armani suits sitting in luxury boxes having wine tasting during the game…its the people wasted in the stands making the superdome the toughest place for other teams to play in

10. Contra says: Mar 19, 2010 6:44 PM

You are right, their guest is ‘special’.

11. DJSlyBri says: Mar 19, 2010 6:44 PM

Who needs the commoners now that they have won a Super Bowl?

12. efyouseekay says: Mar 19, 2010 6:44 PM

I bet some of these fans were sitting with bags over their heads with “aints” written on the front(years ago) , what a shame they deserve better

13. RexRyan'sStressedLapband says: Mar 19, 2010 6:46 PM

Wow. What a joke. So 1,200 faithful fans are losing their seats so that 16 rooms can be built for some schmucks trying to close a business deal. Beautiful.

14. ar1888 says: Mar 19, 2010 6:47 PM

Way to treat your fans that stuck with you thorough all the bullshit.

15. Uncle Leo says: Mar 19, 2010 6:47 PM

Put them all in the press box. Better than than having a bunch of middle aged fat men eating free food and reporting the same thing they could have if they watched it on TV.

16. ladybucs&steelersnut says: Mar 19, 2010 6:47 PM

That really SUCKS for those fans! Probably wasn’t too many years ago that they barely HAD 1200 season ticket holders. Now that they’ve won the Super Bowl, the “powers that be” see no problem with sticking it to some of the very people who’ve probably been backing their team since the really bad times the Saints had. Shame on them!

17. vikings rule says: Mar 19, 2010 6:49 PM

18. LovinBlue says: Mar 19, 2010 6:54 PM

Wow – 1200 seats seems like a LOT to sacrifice. Hope they get some nice media contracts to cover that.

19. Joeyjoejoeshabadooooo says: Mar 19, 2010 7:03 PM

this is the vikings fault
    right bob nelson, jimmy smith?

20. Smitty Gill says: Mar 19, 2010 7:04 PM

Florio never wants to write anything good about my Saints…………Always negitive or contraversial.My Saints have become an Elite team and Elite teams always improve their house. Success breeds profits and profits breed improvements. Someone always loses………get over it.

21. Fonetik says: Mar 19, 2010 7:11 PM

Wow, that’s a real dick move…

22. Mean D says: Mar 19, 2010 7:20 PM

That’s New Orleans for you.

23. JohnnyH says: Mar 19, 2010 7:23 PM

So let me get this straight… The Saints are money grubbing whores who couldn’t give a rats ass about the hard working little guy who filled the stands while the team sucked for 30 years and they’re just like the 31 other teams in the NFL? Next you’re going to tell me that Football is a business and not a game.

24. TryTheVeal says: Mar 19, 2010 7:26 PM

Just plain wrong…..

25. NOwillrepeat says: Mar 19, 2010 7:28 PM

“Then again, they can always tune in to Paul Allen, Pete Bercich, and their special guest on the Vikings Radio Network.”
    —————————————————————-
    Why would any Saints fan tune into that buffoon. Worst, most bias play by play in the league. Jim Henderson puts that scrub to shame.
    On the other hand, is florio suggesting the Queens are comin back to the Dome for another d!ck slap during opening weekend? Got an inside tip mike? Gonna be great to raise that Championship banner in front of them.

26. NOwillrepeat says: Mar 19, 2010 7:28 PM

—————————————————————-

27. BonnieD says: Mar 19, 2010 7:29 PM

Wow, thanks Saints fans for your support. To show our appreciation, we are booting you out of the stadium. That’s insane.

28. NoKoolaidCowboy says: Mar 19, 2010 7:29 PM

Whoa, whoa, whoa…Who Dat!?!
    LOL

29. John El Way says: Mar 19, 2010 7:35 PM

wow, first Katrina, and now this!?

30. Pervy Harvin says: Mar 19, 2010 7:41 PM

Those 1,200 fans should look on the bright side. They won’t have to witness the season opening beat down by the Vikings personally!

31. ICDogg says: Mar 19, 2010 7:44 PM

Well, that’s got to suck.

32. Jeff says: Mar 19, 2010 7:54 PM

God, you Vikings fans are pissy and bitter. You lost. Get over it. Get a freaking life.

33. munchkin says: Mar 19, 2010 8:04 PM

Vikings rule says…and just what is it they rule again???
    Still haven’t got over the loss!!!! Fumbles…interceptions…fumbles…interceptions…fumbles…interceptions….

34. Jeff says: Mar 19, 2010 8:11 PM

I’ve watched Saints games in the seats that the season ticket holders are losing. Trust me, they’re doing them a favor. Those seats are so high they’re not worth the $120 or so a year they’re paying for them.

35. Sourdough says: Mar 19, 2010 8:12 PM

Who are these Vikings Percy Harvin speaks of!?!

36. TheRedBengal says: Mar 19, 2010 8:15 PM

The Saints should bump the latest season ticket holders. That’s unbelievably wrong if they bump 10+ year season ticket holders. There will be some serious backlash regardless

37. PFTiswhatitis says: Mar 19, 2010 8:22 PM

Pretty lousy move by the Saints. I hope in the long run they lose business over it instead of gaining it.

38. PFTiswhatitis says: Mar 19, 2010 8:24 PM

“tombradyswig says:
    March 19, 2010 6:32 PM
    Tom Brady wears a wig.”
    Really? Florio how the heck does this garbage get through when you censor so many other peoples posts?
    You suck.

39. DB26 says: Mar 19, 2010 8:26 PM

@ robertamberg
    +1000!!! Great idea, too bad you don’t work in the Saints front office. This is god awful, not to mention the money these people spend on the Personal Seating Licenses too.

40. TheVulture says: Mar 19, 2010 8:30 PM

The season ticket holders with the least seniority should lose their tickets.

41. mnmaverick says: Mar 19, 2010 8:35 PM

Solution for Saints fans:
    Root for the Vikings. ; )

42. dmciggle says: Mar 19, 2010 8:41 PM

Hey Florio, I know you hate to let the facts get in the way of a good dose of BS, but do you think you should have mentioned that 900 of the 1,200 fans have already been relocated to new seats?

43. StickyGreen says: Mar 19, 2010 8:44 PM

First you have to live in that sh@tty city and now this! Outrageous…..Ha!

44. pedey01 says: Mar 19, 2010 8:51 PM

To all the boozos bashing the move as yet another example of the NFL becoming too corporate:
    The 32 NFL franchises exist to make money. Thats the point of business. You can’t blame the Saint organization for putting in more corporate boxes because a heck of a lot more revenue will be generated off those boxes than off the 1,200 seats. Sorry boys, if you cant afford the ticket then stay at home and watch the games on television

45. aious says: Mar 19, 2010 8:59 PM

Cost of winning. They want to expand suites for more money. No big deal

46. DoctorK says: Mar 19, 2010 9:18 PM

You know, I feel badly about Katrina, how Bush forgot the city, etc. But I hope it’s another 50 years before the Saints win another Super Bowl.

47. Jeff says: Mar 19, 2010 9:34 PM

_____________________________
    So, you’re saying that in 2060 the Saints will then have two more Super Bowl victories than the Vikings?

48. SF Saints Fan says: Mar 19, 2010 9:46 PM

They will be put at the front of the season ticket waiting list and the Superdome is adding seats next year that should make up for this. These new seats will be much better seats, but will cost more.
    The Saints are working on a possible “solution” for this year and may include severely limiting visiting team tickets as part of the solution.
    Saints have also mailed out season ticket invoices (For those who don’t know the Saints sell out the Superdome to season ticket holders.) and prices have gone up.

49. NOwillrepeat says: Mar 19, 2010 9:46 PM

Vikings rule: The Saint, their fans, and the cesspool city of New Orleans are a complete joke and deserve any misery that comes their way. Here’s hoping they never win another game.
    ————————————————————-
    How do you describe a Viqueen fan?

50. philwauke says: Mar 19, 2010 9:53 PM

vikings rule says:
    March 19, 2010 6:49 PM
    Guess what vikings tool. Your team will NEVER win a superbowl and about 60,000 of your fans are about to lose their tickets. Hello Los Angles!

51. swampthing says: Mar 19, 2010 10:06 PM

Adding to their stadium and putting those fans in other seats (as dmciggle refers to above) is what big boy franchises do. Moving franchises to California or Texas is what Minnesota franchises do (Lakers, (North) Stars, Vikings). Have fun with the Twins. Until Mauer signs with the Yankees.

52. LanMan says: Mar 19, 2010 10:54 PM

Bob Kraft would never allow something like this….
    EVER.

53. Raginsaints says: Mar 19, 2010 11:36 PM

These improvements were planned before the Saints won the Super Bowl. Although I think they did add plans for a wheelchair ramp so they can roll Brett Favre out of the dome after the Saint whip his ass again. Then all of you whining Vike fans can have something new to cry about. But the end result will be the same, Saints whip Vikings.

54. Someone says: Mar 19, 2010 11:57 PM

——————————————–
    That’s just wrong and I’m a Vikings fan…

55. Tim Couch says says: Mar 20, 2010 12:20 AM

they’ll get them back in 2 years when the saints are back to sucking as usual.

56. Paulitik says: Mar 20, 2010 12:22 AM

Tom Benson is going to milk as much as he can out of this team. Get your paperbags ready, the Ain’ts won’t have a winning season until they are the San Antonio Santos. Enjoy the win while you can.

57. clintcooper says: Mar 20, 2010 12:31 AM

The Saints are my team and I love them but i despise Tom Benson. Is that possible?

58. OLDCRACKER says: Mar 20, 2010 12:49 AM

Maybe they’ll pack up in the middle of the night and move to LA.

59. Shadenfreuder says: Mar 20, 2010 1:34 AM

“LanMan says:
    March 19, 2010 10:54 PM
    Bob Kraft would never allow something like this….
    EVER.”
    Bob Kraft has been shitting on his loyal fans ever since he bought the Patriots. The only reason you don’t hear more about it is that there are no reporters left in New England with the balls to stand up to the Patriots; and the team keeps winning, so we season ticket holders overlook things like 4 gigantic “moats” and a foolish lighthouse where our seats used to be in Foxboro Stadium. Kraft cares about 1 thing-money.

60. topspin24 says: Mar 20, 2010 1:37 AM

They should at least give these people standing room only admission to the games while they wait for their name to be called from the waiting list. They could require these fans to commit to buying if their names were moved to the front of the waiting list line. The team would at least get a little extra parking & concessions revenue, but more importantly would avoid much of the PR fallout.

61. Little Tommy says: Mar 20, 2010 6:20 AM

Perfect way to “thank” those 1200 fans who’ve stood by you while you were the most pathetic franchise in the league for a protracted period of time. Saints ownership should be ashamed of themselves.
    This is one reason why a 50 yard line seat in front of my flatscreen is just fine for me. No way those greedy SOB’s are getting season ticket $$$ from me!

62. bh103 says: Mar 20, 2010 6:42 AM

Jeff says:
    March 19, 2010 8:11 PM
    Ever watch a game from the lower level corners out to the 20 yardline? Seats in the upper prime areas have the best view. Where do you think the film that the players and coaches watch is shot from?

63. Ilovefoolsball says: Mar 20, 2010 8:18 AM

Haha it never gets old, seeing you whiny bitchy little Viking girls still sore over that loss where your supposed “star” players choked and gagged like they were enjoying mandingo’s finest lol. I really hope y’all are this passionate when the saints open the season at home against miniature-sota so you can witness those banners being raised right before your team gives it up again like a red headed slut desperate for some action.
    Oh yeah and as far as the seat moves, NFL stadiums do this stuff all the time. It’s just that they’re usually not after a superbowl victory AND they’re usually in stadiums that are newer or stadiums where the fan base doesn’t have a season tickets waiting list like miniature-sota’s fair weather-sand in the verginer “fans”.

64. JeffDaSaintsGuy says: Mar 20, 2010 10:11 AM

I am one of the 1200 fans who have been displaced. Let me tell you a little bit about my seats…
    I had the aisle seat in the very top row of the Superdome directly on the 50 yard line. I moved to those seats in 2004. I hav been a ticket holder since 2001. I loved that seat. It was as close to heaven as I could imagine. I could see EVERYTHING… the view of the field was second to none! In 2000 I sat in the lower level in the endzone. In 2001 I moved to the plaza level 40 yard line. In 2002 I moved to the terrace 35 yard line mid way up. Finally, I requested these seats, and they were perfect.
    My biggest issue with this is how it went down. I did not receive a phone call… I had to find out from the media. Several months ago, I started to hear rumblings of a new press box being built and that my seats COULD be affected. This was just a rumor I saw online. I called my ticket rep and he told me that there was nothing set in stone, and that IF it did happen, it would not be an issue until after the 2010 season. I was lied to.
    Did I also mention that my job took me to Atlanta from New Orleans 2 years ago and that I have been making the 8 hour drive each way to be there on game day?
    I am outraged. The truth is that none of us have been relocated thus far, and the ticket rep I spoke to yesterday told me that we just have to “take one for the team.” Im sorry, but I have taken one for the team. Those terrible Katrina games at Tiger Stadium, paying for tickets as Jim Haslett destroyed our franchise once again, buying tickets when few others were, and going necessities because my ticket invoice was due.
    its painful. I feel like I have lost a family member. I don’t know what I will do next, but I can tell you that i am a VERY disgruntled New Orleans Saints “fan”….

65. Marauder24 says: Mar 20, 2010 10:16 AM

To all Vikings fans: You wanted to drink the Brett Favre kool-aid and you were given the chance. Pretty sweet on top but horribly bitter when you get to the bottom. Obviously that bitterness still lingers. Blame him, not the Saints.

66. destiny2dynasty says: Mar 20, 2010 7:38 PM

For all you haters, those were the seats that most of the visiting teams fans bought from scalpers or from someone selling there seats. Thanks for your support and WHO DAT!!!

67. Dinger says: Mar 20, 2010 9:51 PM

Well Benson should be dead by the time the Saints return to Aints status so he won’t be crying in his Domefoam when those expensive loges sit empty and the team is wishing for the return of those more affordable seats so that fans could buy them. Short-sighted bastard.

68. springer22 says: Mar 21, 2010 2:48 AM

Buisness as usual. Let’s see what NFL “CEO”, I mean Commissoner Goddell will do for your average fan instead of trying to lockout the players next year !!

69. SmackMyVickUp.com says: Mar 21, 2010 11:00 AM

Warm weather fans anyways, plenty of empty seats when they were losing.

70. Dogsweat says: Mar 21, 2010 4:50 PM

“Nearly 1,200 New Orleans fans are supporting Voo-Doo!”
    “Nearly 1,200 New Orleans fans are cross dressers!”
    “Nearly 1,200 New Orleans fans are losing their trailers!”
    “Nearly 1,200 New Orleans fans can’t speak english!”

71. acers says: Mar 22, 2010 4:16 PM

Wow….way to go Benson…..man what a great owner! He wanted to get the saints right out of dodge right after Katrina, nut Tagliabue made him stay.
    He dances with the umbrella and all that crap, but he wanted to bolt N. Orleans no doubt.
    Now, he wants 1200 fans replaced for my cash.
    He Benson and New Orleans……”stay classy”.
    The saints were a one year wonder, vikes give them a win along with the reprehensible OT calls by the refs, and the NON-CALL against Favre when two saints got him and one undercut him….he throws the INT. Later, the NFL ADMITS they blew the call. Hmmm….it’s more than a conspiracy…….
    It smells in New Orleans, and it’s more than the town…..STAY CLASSY N.O.!!!!