Holmgren on Clausen: "I wish I liked him more"

J. Clausen.jpgMike Holmgren has picked up two quarterbacks this offseason, and says he plans to draft another.

Just don’t expect Holmgren to select one in the first two rounds.  Holmgren never has drafted a quarterback that early before, and he doesn’t plan to this year.

“This year it would be pretty hard to use the second [round] pick to get a
quarterback. It would be pretty hard for me,” Holmgren said to Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer.  “Next year might be easier. . . . But I’d have to have another
second-round pick [to take a quarterback in the second round].”

Holmgren seems likely to have a chance to take Jimmy Clausen with the seventh overall pick.  But that’s not going to happen either.

“I wish I liked [Clausen] more,” Holmgren said. “You know how you have a type of
player that you like? It’s not scientific. People like him a lot. He’ll
go high. But it would be hard for me [to take him].”

Wow.  Unless that’s a serious misdirection play, Holmgren’s candor shows why he wanted to invest so much in veteran quarterbacks this offseason.

Permalink 70 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
70 Responses to “Holmgren on Clausen: "I wish I liked him more"”
  1. sportsguy15478 says: Mar 21, 2010 6:36 PM

well atleast he is honest

2. Steelers56 says: Mar 21, 2010 6:39 PM

For a guy who has the human turnover machine and a career back-up who can’t throw the ball currently on his roster, this is some funny stuff

3. BDiddy says: Mar 21, 2010 6:41 PM

Well, I guess that means Clausen is no Jake Delhomme or Seneca Wallace. Somehow, I think Jimmy can live with that.

4. GaryClark says: Mar 21, 2010 6:42 PM

Yeah….I wish the Walrus liked him more too…I fear my precious Skins are gonna take that frosted tipped Punk in the 1st or second round…Uggghhhhh! I hate that kid.
    If the Skins take him, can anyone offer a good team a worn out Skins fan could follow? Outside of the NFC East of course.
    Snyder–If you are reading this, take Okung or Berry. Clausen is toxic.

5. Hooby says: Mar 21, 2010 6:45 PM

clausen’s reply to this headline: “yeah? well youre fat!”

6. DGNR8 says: Mar 21, 2010 6:48 PM

THANK YOU GOD!

7. bobinpuertorico says: Mar 21, 2010 6:48 PM

Now that every one knows that Holmgren will not take Clausen, there is no need for a team like the Bills to even think about trying to move up to get him. It sure is nice that you can trust everything that team representatives say prior to the draft, because they would never try to mislead other teams.

8. Dixon29 says: Mar 21, 2010 6:55 PM

I hope this is the truth. I, under no circumstances want to see Clausen in a Browns uniform.

9. mastablasta says: Mar 21, 2010 6:56 PM

you heard it here first zac robinson is gonna be the best nfl qb to come out this year,nobody wants to talk about him but he has the best qualities in any qbs i have seen so far[just my opinion,and that dont count for much],i have however been pretty good with guessing the outcome of past qbs like russell,flacco,rothlisberger,its all really just guessing,but i really hope robinson doesnt go to the browns[not a fan of the browns at all],but i can completely undestand his thinking,guys like pike and that kid from fordham should have descent careers as well,as with holmgren i do not see clausen doing anything special in the nfl,he can make “ok” throws at various times,never really made the throws he needed to in the bigg time games,again just one morons opinion,that and a dollar could get you a bottle of water

10. jazapfsp says: Mar 21, 2010 6:56 PM

I wish I liked Holmgren as a GM more too…. but Seattle started to get good once he stopped choosing the personnel.

11. NightTrainNeckTie says: Mar 21, 2010 6:59 PM

What does Mike Holmgren know about quarterbacks, anyways?……………………oh wait, a lot.

12. s.martin17 says: Mar 21, 2010 7:00 PM

Holmgren is blowing smoke!! He will indeed take Clausen with the 7th if he is still on the board.
    People do not believe anything these Coaches, VP’s or GM’s are saying!! Only they now the what they want, and they are not going to tell you the truth!! It will be Clausen, or Berry if they are still avail. with this pick.

13. trimitdan says: Mar 21, 2010 7:05 PM

Wow, I wish my Browns had that idiot Crennelephant back to “flip a coin” to determine our next QB!

14. BengalBruce says: Mar 21, 2010 7:10 PM

Or maybe it’s because Jimmy Clausen is just like his older brother Casey Clausen…
    Not a good QB.

15. BuffaloThad says: Mar 21, 2010 7:12 PM

Clausen has “JP Losman” written all over him. An immatrue, somewhat brash quarterback that will be a bust…

16. RIP__21 says: Mar 21, 2010 7:39 PM

Take note my fellow skins fans thay are gay for clausen. 0-10 vs ranked teams….jus sayin.

17. xskippzx says: Mar 21, 2010 7:42 PM

It would be pretty hard for me
    I wish I liked [Clausen] more…
    I’d have to have another second-round pick…
    What ever happened to those other guys, Heckert and Mangini?

18. shadowGM says: Mar 21, 2010 7:45 PM

Trade up, anyone?

19. JakeDSnake says: Mar 21, 2010 7:46 PM

He’s had two QB’s in his (Head Coaching/GM) career and Ron Wolf drafted both of them. What QB’s has he drafted? Seneca Wallace, David Greene, Josh Booty, Brock Huard? Is this really a guy who should be listened to when it comes to drafting a QB?

20. sethb22 says: Mar 21, 2010 7:46 PM

He did such a good job in Seattle and left them in a position to win…Oh wait! Brett Favre won with Ron Wolf’s team. Holmgren is so Overrated!

21. sethb22 says: Mar 21, 2010 7:47 PM

22. SeeUInTheSuperbowl says: Mar 21, 2010 7:49 PM

nobody wants to use the jimmy

23. clevelandmetal13 says: Mar 21, 2010 7:50 PM

better for the franchise and the fans that he is like this.
    at least we all know that he’s not going to take a guy just because everyone else thinks that’s where the guy should get picked.
    that said, let’s start hearing frm all the “cleveland sucks” trolls….

24. DB26 says: Mar 21, 2010 7:50 PM

Insert 2010 project and future QB…. 3rd Round, Jarrett Brown, QB – West Virginia

25. Brewster says: Mar 21, 2010 7:57 PM

Florio, fix the functionality of the damn website, please.
    I click on “comments” to the the 13 comments (supposedly) posted and one shows up.
    It’s not rocket science.

26. NYGIANT says: Mar 21, 2010 8:00 PM

i notice that most of the articles i have read that most of the nfl higher ups are not to fond of these quarterbacks in this draft. wonder why ?

27. irishfan4life says: Mar 21, 2010 8:01 PM

i hope jimmy makes holmgren eat his words…….just like he eats everything else!

28. Dinger says: Mar 21, 2010 8:14 PM

Martini17 is right. Holmgren is throwing some thick smoke. However, if he takes Jimmy Kimmel Clausen and we have back-to-back ND flops then Lerner is gonna cut one heavy ass check when he sends the walrus out into the Pacific.

29. Dawgpound2009 says: Mar 21, 2010 8:14 PM

Assuming this is true and Eric Berry is available -you damn well better get Berry! I still don’t see how Delhomme answers our QB issues? Furthermore, I dont think next years QB class is any better.

30. Dinger says: Mar 21, 2010 8:16 PM

“I wish I liked pizza less”

31. JeterLeto says: Mar 21, 2010 8:20 PM

jazapfsp says:
    March 21, 2010 6:56 PM
    When did Seattle get good?

32. aious says: Mar 21, 2010 8:21 PM

He is simply saying what many people think except the worst teams in the league (shocker)
    He has an average arm
    He has no leadership
    He loves to just throw the ball up in a loft hoping the WR catches it (NFL will love that)

33. Mean D says: Mar 21, 2010 8:22 PM

GaryClark, come join us Buc fans. Our administration is just as stupid AND cheaper.

34. this class sucks says: Mar 21, 2010 8:28 PM

Who knows what he means but as a Steelers fan I really want the Browns to draft Cluasen. He is awful, and is a bigger douche than Big Ben (allegedly) and Tom Brady combined.

35. JJMADDOG says: Mar 21, 2010 8:28 PM

I hope this means we won’t get the second Brady Quinn era.
    SUPER

36. mickey ferr says: Mar 21, 2010 8:33 PM

notre dame sucks. really.

37. Jordon Cooper says: Mar 21, 2010 8:35 PM

I wonder how much the uncertainty of the CBA plays into this. The last thing you would want to do as GM is pick a QB high, sign him to a big deal and then have the CBA change so you have too much money locked up in one players, especially if the union gets contracts guaranteed (fat chance of that but who knows)
    That being said, while I like Holmgren, he was a far better coach then General Manager in Seattle.

38. darrius_heyward-bey-butterfingers says: Mar 21, 2010 8:36 PM

Zac Robinson sucks.

39. jimmy_b says: Mar 21, 2010 8:38 PM

The Browns just got rid of one Notre Dame QB tutored by Charlie Weiss; why step on the same turd twice?

40. HellsGrimTyrant says: Mar 21, 2010 8:51 PM

Full text says he’ll concentrate on O Line and Secondary first then look at QB’s in 3rd round. I agree with that strategy accept I’d also tag the D-Line for improvement.

41. NightTrainNeckTie says: Mar 21, 2010 9:11 PM

sethb22 says:
    March 21, 2010 7:46 PM
    ___________________________________
    You’re right, Holmgren is totally overrated, I mean look at what a terrible job he did in San Fran as the QB’s coach, Joe Montana and Steve Young never amounted to jack. Good thing he traded for Brett Favre too, that saved his butt, Favre was a sure fire all time great his rookie year. He didn’t need any coaching at all and Matt Hassleback, yeah he had sooooo much hype and physical talent coming out of college, he completely regressed under Holmgren. Quarterbacks just aren’t his forte.

42. jpk6044 says: Mar 21, 2010 9:17 PM

# NightTrainNeckTie says: March 21, 2010 6:59 PM
    **************************************
    Must be why he gave Jake Delhomme $18 million guaranteed. Douche.

43. okay says: Mar 21, 2010 9:37 PM

Don’t….Touch….Jimmy!

44. GaryClark says: Mar 21, 2010 9:39 PM

@Mean D…
    If we take Clausen….Deal. I will be a Bucs fan…I love Mons Venus too.

45. Schau3r says: Mar 21, 2010 9:48 PM

His options are thin. Clausen sucks. He made the best of a bad situation. Period.

46. bigtrav425 says: Mar 21, 2010 9:54 PM

That is GREAT to hear!! Classuen is overrated easily now if he would only say the same thing about Tebow!

47. bigrig says: Mar 21, 2010 10:02 PM

Night train Neck Tie wants to give credit to Montana and Young.
    Get real schoolboy. Bill Walsh aquired both of those guys, not Holmgren.
    Holmgren wasn’t even there in Joe
    ‘s early years.
    He wasn’t around for Young’s MVP years.
    He didn’t trade for Favre either. Ron Wolf did.
    Learn a little bit skippy, before you try to run with the big dogs.

48. polishkingski says: Mar 21, 2010 10:08 PM

since i don`t go back to work till may i have lots of time to be here with you wonderful A-holes reading pft and checking out every possible site that has to do with football. i really don`t like or hate the golden dome as i have always been a orangeman fan (sorry….orange fan). i have gone as far back as ten years looking at stuff about qb`s coming out of college into the nfl as supposed can`t miss guys. know what i found? there is no correct equation to find a can`t miss but….it seems to me the numbers clausen put up at nd on a team that had less talent than most of his competition (total team talent just not his wide outs) are pretty impressive. add that to the fact that he was under a microscope every single time he played and i think what the walrus is saying is pure bullshit. when bradford is off the board he knows there are teams that will want clausen before his draft slot. as a bills fan i`ll take anyone if they pan out to be worth the ninth pick.

49. HateAlDavis says: Mar 21, 2010 10:15 PM

Hmmm Holmgren knows that the QB is the final piece. Browns not in the final stages of a Championship Team.

50. ItalianArmyGuy says: Mar 21, 2010 10:16 PM

Exactly how I feel about Florio and Rosenthal – Wish I liked them more…

51. bigrig says: Mar 21, 2010 10:16 PM

Mike Holmgren will run the Cleveland Browns right into the ground like he did with the Seahawks in his last years there.
    Anybody who wants to think otherwise has their head in the sand.
    Bill Walsh and Ron Wolf set Holmgren up with HOF QB’s in his glamour years.
    Middle of the road Matt Hasselback is the guy you can give Holmgren credit for aquiring.
    WOW, that’s genius at work if I have ever seen it.
    People in Cleveland are so hot to trot for a football team, they will take any old re-tread they can get.

52. HellsGrimTyrant says: Mar 21, 2010 10:20 PM

1st Rd Berry or a CB
    2nd Highest ranked guard or RT left on the board
    3rd QB should have plenty of options left at that round

53. LetsGoPens says: Mar 21, 2010 10:31 PM

what if he takes clausen at 7 and is like PSYCHE

54. tobago says: Mar 21, 2010 10:54 PM

Holmgren is making a lot of sense as the Browns, football czar.

55. Dr Hiram J Puddlestone says: Mar 21, 2010 10:56 PM

@Gary Clark….
    …hmmm…outside the NFC East huh?….
    You familiar with the BW Parkway?

56. FinFan says: Mar 21, 2010 11:00 PM

Clausen could probably beat Jake Delhomme and Wallace.
    Sad reality.

57. NightTrainNeckTie says: Mar 21, 2010 11:15 PM

bigrig says:
    March 21, 2010 10:02 PM
    Night train Neck Tie wants to give credit to Montana and Young.
    Get real schoolboy. Bill Walsh aquired both of those guys, not Holmgren.
    Holmgren wasn’t even there in Joe
    ‘s early years.
    He wasn’t around for Young’s MVP years.
    He didn’t trade for Favre either. Ron Wolf did.
    Learn a little bit skippy, before you try to run with the big dogs.
    __________________________________
    Ok, big dog.
    You’re right, Holmgren wasn’t with the 49ers in Joe’s early years, he was at BYU coaching the most potent offense in the country to a national championship in 1984 and little somebody named Steve Young in 1983.
    When Holmgren arrived in San Fran how was Joe Montana doing? He was starting to decline now wasn’t he, injuries and some bad performances plus a stint on IR actually had him on the door step of early retirement. Holmgren helped spark his revival and under Holmgren, Joe Montana put up career highs in touchdowns, yards, completion percentage and QB rating.
    Good thing you mentioned Steve Young because I’m sure the 49ers brass loved what they saw of him in Tampa and the USFL, it probably had nothing to do with his relationship with their QBs coach.
    So you’ll give Bill Walsh credit for trading for Steve Young but not Holmgren for trading for Favre. Make sense, I mean you have to prove your point some way, you are one of the big dogs after all, I’m just a school boy.
    I suppose you’re right, Holmgren wasn’t there for Young’s MVP seasons in ’92 and ’94, but he was in Green Bay for Favre’s MVP seasons in ’95, ’96, ’97.
    He probably shouldn’t get any credit for drafting Hasselbeck in the 6th round then trading for him in Seattle before he even started a single game and turning him into a 3 time Pro Bowler and Super Bowl starter, either.
    Looks like skippy knows a little more than you think “Big dog”……….suck it

58. kagriff24 says: Mar 21, 2010 11:56 PM

Somewhere Clausen is jumping up and down for joy knowing his career won’t begin and end in Cleveland before it was able to get started

59. covercorner7 says: Mar 22, 2010 12:01 AM

Holmgren lost his GM powers in Seattle. How did he get this job?

60. packerfanfornot4life says: Mar 22, 2010 12:17 AM

yeah he will get drafted by the Browns! When is the last time a team executive/GM was honest to the media about the draft!! SMOKE AND MIRRORS

61. Lights Out says: Mar 22, 2010 12:24 AM

yeah ur rite 27-4 is terrible, and to whoever says he couldnt be ranked teams, well not his fault he couldnt put up more than 30 points by himself a game! def not overrated- i dont even like notre dame but this guy looks pretty good! but if i was holmgren the second notre dame qb to come out and be supposedly 1st round pick would make me nervous too!

62. sunflower100 says: Mar 22, 2010 12:42 AM

Not sure why people are surprised by this. This just means they draft a developmental QB in the 3rd or 4th round and let him sit behind Delhomme for a couple of years (yes even though he sucks).

63. pkOH15 says: Mar 22, 2010 1:02 AM

@ all the Cleveland haters….
    get a life…you are idiots

64. thetruckerking says: Mar 22, 2010 3:52 AM

Wow, it’s like a who’s who of haters on here today.
    1. Holmgren might know just a little bit about quarterbacks – Montana, Young, Favre, Hasselbeck. Three are hall of famers and the other one saw a few pro bowls and a super bowl. Give the guy a little credit. Even if Holmgren wasn’t fully responsible for these quarterbacks he had something to do with their success.
    2. Delhomme/Wallace are a huge upgrade over Quinn/Anderson in cleveland. You now have a proven starter and a proven backup instead of two guys who have never proven anything. Quinn and Anderson might go on to succeed in their new situations, although I doubt it, but it wasn’t going to happen in Cleveland… And you can’t blame Holmgren for that.
    3. Holmgren’s comments on Clausen was not a smoke screen. This is an incredibly deep draft at QB. Why take an unproven guy in the first round and pay him big bucks when you could get great value at the quarterback position in the second, third or fourth rounds? LeFevour, Kafka and Snead all have great potential just to name a few.
    4. I keep seeing “trade up” all over the place. For what? Bradford? (see 3.) If the Browns were going to trade up it better be to insure that they get Eric Berry. If Berry is off the board when the Browns draft, if anything, they should trade down. Haden will go between picks 10-14, McClain will go 14-18 and Kyle Wilson, Earl Thomas, Taylor Mays, Patrick Robinson and Devin McCourty will all go after pick number 20.
    5. On a team as bad as the Browns are and this years draft being so deep I would honestly consider trading out of the first round. Give me an existing NFL starting guard and a mid or better second round draft choice and you could have the number 7 overall pick. Even in a year where the salary cap has been lifted I’d rather divide that first round money up between two quality second rounders if I can’t get the guy I really want in the first.
    6. Quit bitching and moaning! That’s supposed to come after the draft.

65. CKL says: Mar 22, 2010 9:39 AM

thetruckerking says:
    March 22, 2010 3:52 AM
    Wow, it’s like a who’s who of haters on here today.
    ______________________________
    Holmgren made a telling point the other day about the LR being divided between this guy and that guy (Anderson & Quinn). I think that is part of the reason he cleaned house at that position. Neither of these two new guys has any history with anyone on the team so there’s no controversy there. If you don’t think either of the prior two guys are the or even an answer..you have to start over and eliminate at least that controversy of having guys there who preferred one of the prior guys over the other so you can implement your program more easily. Also helps when he drafts his future QB not to have anyone there with longterm starter aspirations.

66. Dawg4Life says: Mar 22, 2010 12:56 PM

Well said CKL…..
    I think part of the problem is that the locker room has been divided for too long, look clear back to the Couch/Holcomb situation (thank you Butch Davis). The team is not going to be good this year anyway what do you have to lose by getting some veteran prescence on the field.

67. suvantar says: Mar 22, 2010 4:06 PM

Well, the only thing I would say about Delhomme and Wallace being a definite upgrade over Anderson and Quinn is that Anderson became the starter of a substandard franchise and elevated them for awhile at lease. Delhomme on the other hand managed to single-handedly torpedo a potentially easy superbowl run for the Panthers and then managed to submarine the entire first half of the following season… again almost singlehandedly.
    8 touchdowns and 18 interceptions is not a mirage. Especially considering how many games he was not in at the end of the year. Imagine how many more picks he might have thrown had he played against the Vikings and the Giants.
    So if it’s a choice between a quarterback that made a bad team better and a quarterback that was once okay but most recently made a good team bad, I’ll take door number 1.

68. BLancy23 says: Mar 22, 2010 6:10 PM

Holmgren is a straight shooter not a bullshitter. He has shown decisiveness and good decision making (other than the trade of Quinn which i still disagree with). There’s no way he would trade one Notre Dame QB that is way better than Clausen will ever be and pick Clausen at #7. Ain’t gonna happen. I just hope Eric Berry stumbles past the Seahawks and the Chiefs and into Holmgren’s grasp at the 7th spot. Go Browns!

69. Joeyjoejoeshabadooooo says: Mar 23, 2010 1:11 PM

good ol’ florio, creating drama out of nothing. you’re the problem with the media today. if you put somebodies words in quotes, then it’s interpreted 1000 ways.

70. OLDCRACKER says: Mar 24, 2010 10:29 AM

The first pick of the “new” Browns was a QB instead of taking the time and building a solid franchise. Tim Couch did a lot of good laying on his back, didn’t he?
    After 10 years, they are finally doing the grunt work required. Put in place good management, hire the right coaches/teachers. Build your lines, get a mix of vets and young blood. Develope your skill players without destroying their confidence. Then, in about 3-5 years, you can add the missing pieces needed to put you over the top.
    Holmgren knows a lot more than any of us here. Go Big Mike!