Belichick: I won't take on more workload

B. Belichick.jpgBill Belichick will lead the Patriots defensive meeting room this year because the team doesn’t have a defensive coordinator, but he says his workload won’t change.

“I’m not going to take on more workload,” Belichick told Mike Reiss of ESPN Boston Monday.
“It just might be distributed a little differently. That’s the way it’s
been in the past. My workload hasn’t changed in the last 10 years.

“It’s
been distributed differently, from year to year, or even within a year,
within different timeframes of the year — between personnel and
football, or offense, defense and special teams as it relates just to
football.”

Belichick stressed he believes job titles aren’t important, and things could change as the year wears on.  Still, Belichick’s latest role seems to be a recognition that his attention is needed on defense after a few inconsistent years.

Belichick didn’t address who will call defensive plays or Adalius Thomas’ future, but he did speak on a number of other issues:

On his free agency strategy: “Some of the best players in free agency this year were Patriots. We
re-signed a number of them, and a couple we didn’t.”

On playing on Thanksgiving: “I’m kind of excited about the Thanksgiving Day game . . . Those of us who have played those games in high
school, especially in New England, that’s a big day for football.”

On how much longer he plans to coach: “I don’t have any number on it, but I’m excited about the 2010
team.”

The complete transcript can be seen here.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
21 Responses to “Belichick: I won't take on more workload”
  1. lezmaka says: Mar 22, 2010 7:30 PM

“It’s been distributed differently, from year to year, or even within a year, within different timeframes of the year — between personnel and football, or offense, defense and special teams as it relates just to football.”
    He conveniently left out espionage and cheating. Or maybe he thinks that both are just all part of football?

2. droppingloads says: Mar 22, 2010 7:35 PM

You people have no idea how lucky you are to live in the age of Belichick.

3. KaiserSoze says: Mar 22, 2010 7:46 PM

Belichick is the master of talking while saying nothing.

4. dolphinphan says: Mar 22, 2010 8:01 PM

I guess he is going to spend less time watching half time video then.

5. DeVoodoo says: Mar 22, 2010 8:06 PM

Here’s why Belichick doesn’t want to name coordinators anymore — because he’s sick of losing them to head coaching jobs. He’ll keep certain guys around longer if they’re not given the title “coordinator.”

6. Dr. Kenneth Noisewater says: Mar 22, 2010 8:07 PM

Cue up the hate

7. prophet of the light says: Mar 22, 2010 8:08 PM

He’s already doing everything. I doubt he can own the team too.

8. Ryan says: Mar 22, 2010 8:27 PM

Master of cheating the game as well. Oh how lucky we are.

9. jallen69 says: Mar 22, 2010 8:35 PM

Whose gonna film the opponents practices?

10. Bossman says: Mar 22, 2010 8:46 PM

“Lezmaka” As in “Let’s make an ass out of ourselves”?
    “Espionage and cheating?” Wow! This just in Jethro: He is NFL Coach of the decade.
    Stick that up your ass!

11. ItalianArmyGuy says: Mar 22, 2010 8:53 PM

On who is going to operate the spy cameras this year: “I’m going to do that, but I’ll just distribute the workload, so I’m also piping the extra noise into the stadium speakers, and I’m also shutting off the communication of the opposing coaches with their quarterback via radio”;
    On if he thinks he will ever win an un-tainted Super Bowl: “At the end of the day, it’s not how much you cheat, it’s whether or not you can get away with it and laugh in Goodell’s face, and dance on Rozell’s grave. That’s what I really hang my hat on.”
    On who he is looking to draft this year: “I am looking for some roided-out punks that really know how to deliver a crotch-shot right when the ref’s aren’t looking.”

12. blackglass says: Mar 22, 2010 9:22 PM

I wish ItalianArmyGuy would defect to Sudan. Then maybe the babbling would make sense.

13. Devils Advocate says: Mar 22, 2010 10:13 PM

you people with this Belicheat, spygate, crap need to get over it. all you are doing is trying to pump up your dynasty and use every attempt to drive the nail in another successful teams run.
    guys. it don’t matter if it’s the Patriots, Cowboy’s 49ers or Steelers. if it’s not that it’s the Jets or Dolphin (Patriot wannabee’s) spewing their BS.
    just give the “hater’s” an opening and they come out and spew their crap. that’s all it is. just ignore it guys. they have no life and they are not putting pen to paper for the NY Times or NY Post.

14. ZombiePatriot says: Mar 22, 2010 10:36 PM

It’s good to have a great coach roaming the sidelines…
    Better to be the target of hate then the one nobody talks about.

15. Florio-is-a-tool says: Mar 22, 2010 10:43 PM

Yesterday’s jokes still being served. What wit.
    Yeah, (sarcastic) “ha, ha.” Feel better now kids?

16. GB3Pack4 says: Mar 22, 2010 10:45 PM

Bellichick looks sartorially splendid in the pic accompanying the story. Can’t recall having seen him in anything but a hoodie for the last 927 years.

17. ItalianArmyGuy says: Mar 22, 2010 11:11 PM

Bellichick on his fondest memories as a coach: “You know, a lot of it is the little things – matching up tape with defensive signals. Watching a bewildered opposing qb after we shut down the radio to his helmet. Coaching all those kids on how to block a ref’s view when a teammate is grabbing handfuls of jersey. Having a torrid affair with one of your staff-member’s wives. Sending guys out to play on Sundays with nasty headaches from last week’s concussions.”
    “But the best memory has to be the feeling when you see the NFL commissioner work as your personal media crisis handler. Watching Roger Goodell operate, backing off Congress and the press for me after he burned the evidence – he was such a pro. That feeling is just priceless.”

18. Outlaw Jersey Whales says: Mar 23, 2010 6:08 AM

Belichick: “I won’t take on more workload.”
    ————————————————–
    “I simply don’t have the time. I’m much too busy setting up my new darkroom in the house that I’ve bought for my latest girlfriend whose husband I’m cuckolding also happens to be a team employee!”

19. Florio-is-a-tool says: Mar 23, 2010 7:26 AM

Yesterday’s jokes still being served. What wit.
    Yeah, (sarcastic) “ha, ha.” Feel better now kids?

20. Patsfansince73 says: Mar 23, 2010 8:15 AM

What every “cheater” butt munch needs to wrap their heads around – EVERY and I mean EVERY team cheats in one way or another. It is just a question of not getting caught. And speaking of which, they were not caught, they were finked out by that pussy Mangina.
    And yes EVERY TEAM cheats. Didn’t you see all of the sports shows immediately after that? Former players, coaches, assistants and everyone down the line that was interviewed ALL admitted that whoever they were with CHEATED to gain an edge. Whether it was opening certain doors or gates to allow a different wind flow in the stadium when the opposition was trying to put one through the uprights, pumping in extra noise so that signals could not be heard, wetting down or drying out the field to their advantage, bringing up the heat in a dome during the end of the season so that a team who is used to playing in the cold would get tired quicker, messing with visiting teams locker rooms temperature for both air and water, figuring out ways to hold without getting caught, making a move that can’t be seen by the officials but will make the opposition jump off side and last but not least – filming. Yes, they all admitted to that as well.
    And here is something else for you to try and wrap that minuscule child mentality brain around – the Patriots have been under a microscope ever since this happened. They can’t even burp without saying “excuse me” for fear of being punished for it. Conversely, every other team can push the cheating envelope against them for they are not being scrutinized like they are. Think about that haters….
    The Pats will be contenders for years to come, even as they are rebuilding. Watch out, for it won’t be long before another dynasty becomes reality. It will happen while you haters are still shouting “cheaters” for lack of any other excuse for your team being stomped on by them.

21. Outlaw Jersey Whales says: Mar 23, 2010 9:19 AM

“Kodachro-o-ome
    You give us those nice bright colors
    You give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world’s a sunny day, oh yeah!
    I got a Nikon camera
    I love to take a photograph
    So Mama, don’t take my Kodachrome away”