Last word on the Rex Ryan lap-band surgery

I posted an item several hours ago scrutinizing the comments of Jets coach Rex Ryan regarding his recent surgical procedure aimed at enhancing weight loss.  Plenty of you took issue with some of the things I wrote.

I’ve read back over the article several times, searching for the precise language that objectively would constitute anything inappropriate or offensive.  Though there’s nothing specific that crosses the line, I’ll agree that the overall tone was a bit too harsh.

That said, I disagree with the notion expressed by some that the article contains multiple “fat jokes.”  Apart from the very first sentence, which was worded to be a somewhat sarcastic observation regarding the fact that the surgery entails the placement of a mechanical device around the patient’s stomach, there’s no “fat joke” in the entire article.

I’m sensitive to “fat jokes.”  Though my batting average in avoiding them falls somewhere short of 1.000, I usually try to do my best to steer clear.  And for good reason.  A long time ago, I was the proverbial (and actual) “fat kid.”  After 16 years of eating whatever I wanted and making the full range of excuses for being a heck of a lot bigger than I should have been, I decided that it was over.

Four months and 60 pounds later, it was.  By the time I turned 17, I dropped from 225 to 165.

Thousands if not more of us have done a similar thing at one (or more) times in our lives.  Few have the skill and intelligence of a man who becomes the head coach of a professional football team.

So, yes, it was a bit disappointing to see that a man with the ability to overcome incredibly long odds in his professional life was not able to lose weight without putting his life at risk via surgery.  And it was also disappointing to see that same man talking openly — only eight days after the surgery — about the existence of ways to “cheat” the device that was attached to his stomach through the hole in his torso made by a scalpel.

Now that Rex has gone the lap-band route, I wish him well.  Hopefully, he’ll be an example and an inspiration to others who want and/or need to lose 20, 40, 60, 80, 100 pounds, or more.  The fact that he’s in a position to indeed inspire others should now be all the motivation he needs to demonstrate the discipline required to succeed in the face of this challenge.

But I just can’t set aside my own experiences when considering how much more of an inspiration Rex could have been if he had been able to successfully shrink himself the old-fashioned way — by reducing the calories consumed through eating and increasing the calories burned through exercising.  Still, I realize that he spent years trying to do just that, and that he apparently underwent surgery as a genuine last resort.

If my disappointment in this regard was conveyed in a way that some of you found insulting to Rex, I apologize.  We use a certain tone here to make our articles more entertaining, and this specific instance has helped me the better discern the subjects on which that tone should be set aside.  Moving forward, I’ll be the first to congratulate Rex when he gets to his goal of 250 pounds, and to encourage him to consider going even lower than that once he gets there.

Permalink 61 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill
61 Responses to “Last word on the Rex Ryan lap-band surgery”
  1. West TX says: Mar 22, 2010 3:38 AM

I happened to be up at the same time, Florio — couldn’t sleep too well tonight. Anyway, I read the initial story before I circled back and read your retort.
    I’m not Rex Ryan fan. He’s an interesting guy though, no doubt. But I thought you were a bit off when you suggested that weight gain might be related mostly to one’s inability at self-control.
    The odd thing about weight gain is that few are shooting to do it when it occurs, and most hope to curtail it once it is noticed. However, the root cause is difficult to change for many because it involves a combination of life style, metabolism, education, affect, wealth, free time and probably a few other factors. Sometimes individuals in our society cannot beat the calorie trap that funnels them into fatness and doesn’t allow an easy escape. The trap of metabolic syndrome is one that defies easy understanding as one is compelled in the short term to eat excess carbohydrates that are quickly converted to fat and return an individual to a hypoglycemic state that must again be answered. Since many coaches like Rex Ryan don’t have enough free time to exercise or diet plan, this situation is basically a trap that cannot be escaped.
    It would be easy for one to say that these type people ought to be sensible enough to change their lifestyles, become fit and reduce the health risks that go with their obesity. However, that is a very naive approach. Again, some don’t have the time; some don’t understand the process; some simply can’t afford to make the change; some are depressed and are unable to take the steps to change.
    Reality in 2010 America is that we have created and have accepted as a society the conditions that have led to nearly a 50% increase in obesity over the past 25 years. There are strong reasons why, as a nation, this has occurred. It hasn’t occurred to only the weak of mind or spirit. I think you read through your initial post and maybe understood that you left that impression with your comments.

2. nfl_follies says: Mar 22, 2010 3:45 AM

You were right in the first place Florio, then took the easy way out.
    My only disappointment is you caved to the immense pressure from the Jets fans. I assume you were the “bottom.”

3. Stetson wears panties says: Mar 22, 2010 4:32 AM

The only problems was that you perceived it to be funny, and it failed.

4. ificantscuba says: Mar 22, 2010 5:25 AM

You do realise that your colleague, Gregg Rosenthal, posted an article the other day regarding the whole Chad Henne/Tim Tebow thing saying that “…We have more respect for public figures when they stand by their words without excuse or unnecessary apology…”?
    Anyway, it’s fair enough that you lost a lot of weight and kudos to you for that. But the simple fact of the matter is some people just can’t. My aunt is pretty obese and has tried everything short of the lap/gastric band routes, she simply can’t lose the weight, we’ve had her over to the house numerous times and she eats like a sparrow, maybe the same can’t be said of Ryan, or maybe it can, we simply don’t know.
    It’s great that Ryan has recognised that, for his family’s sake, he needs to drop the weight. And as for the whole “cheating” the system thing? It seems to me like he was simply acknowledging it to lighten the mood.

5. Newguy says: Mar 22, 2010 6:28 AM

Mike,
    The background is interesting, but unnecessary. The tone of replies in the referenced article is harsh, but consistent with the typical posting here. It is just directed at you in an area where you have some sensitivity.
    Being fat in America has become accepted as normal. Another tragedy of our times.
    Worse, it is excused as “not their fault” as evidenced in the posts to the other article. Friends and family of mine have for 40+ years asked why I run and why I rarely have desert and avoid fatty foods. Yet when discussing weight, their attitude is I’m lucky I don’t have their weight problem. Smart folks who understand the connection between eating, exercise and weight, except when it comes to them.

6. RaiderRedleg says: Mar 22, 2010 6:47 AM

Mr. Florio,
    Perhaps sticking to analyzing what happens on the field is the best lesson for PFT to learn from this series of articles on Rex Ryan.
    Although as I type this I see two advertisements on this website for “Gastric Band Surgery Cost” and “Lap Gastric Bypass” so maybe this was solely a money thing for the PFT site…In that case congratulations on being a keen capitalist!

7. Greg says: Mar 22, 2010 6:49 AM

No problem Mike. Some of us know what you ment.

8. JakeDSnake says: Mar 22, 2010 7:21 AM

Aha! The high school geeky-fat kid from WV. This expains the silly infatuation with the popular skinny kid from WV, Randy Moss.
    Now that you’re in charge of the A/V Dept, you’ll show him!

9. TFBuckFutter says: Mar 22, 2010 7:34 AM

There’s a bit of a difference in the metabolism of a 16 year old and a 50 year old.
    When I was 18 I dropped 40 pounds in a month.
    Now closing in on 30, I have a hard time getting back into fighting shape.
    So I don’t think he deserves bitter abuse…..some ridicule, sure.

10. Opie says: Mar 22, 2010 7:50 AM

“metabolic syndrome?” Excessive eating of carbohydrates has a name now? There are factors that we can’t control, such as heredity. There are far more factors we can control.
    I find myself mostly agreeing with “newguy.” If you want to make a change, you can. It can be extremely hard work. This is why listening to a bunch of wannabe athletes complain about performance makes my ears bleed. The average “joe” doesn’t get the sacrifice that a lot of athletes make because they’ve never sacrificed.
    Mike, don’t let folks complaining about you complaining make you go soft. You have yet to issue any kind of statement regarding your continuing bashing of the Eagles front office and their games, if Eagles’ fans can’t get to you, then neither should these folks……

11. deymond says: Mar 22, 2010 7:53 AM

I didn’t consider the prior article overly harsh, but I am glad to see some effort to introduce the concept of editorial restraint. I didn’t see anything in the article that mocked Rex Ryan or fat people in general. What I did see was your petty jealousy that leaks into so much of what you write, in that you can’t resist crowing about the very minor flaws of someone who has a job you wish you had.

12. whatev says: Mar 22, 2010 7:54 AM

This is why people deny even having the surgery even when it’s completely obvious – because it’s a personal, medical, private decision someone makes that is really no one’s business.
    Rex decided to be open about it and we get to hear your holier than thou commentary.
    When you are one of 32 head coaches of the national football league, you can talk about how easy it is or how you wished he had done it.
    This site used to be great b/c you actually broke news. Now all you do is post links to news other people broke, write articles that are nothing more than you openly speculating, or make mountains out of moleholes out of the littlest things that don’t even matter.

13. Krow says: Mar 22, 2010 7:55 AM

Why didn’t he just eat less and get more exercise?

14. CKL says: Mar 22, 2010 8:03 AM

West TX says:
    March 22, 2010 3:38 AM
    ___________________________________
    Your attitude is what’s wrong with this country these days. OH THEY ARE HELPLESS POOR THEM THEY CAN’T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. So feel sorry for them and give them excuses and bailouts instead of their having to take action to change. You stop short of saying “It’s a disease they can’t help it” though, so congrats. My dad was a surgeon and spent long long hours including weekends working. You would think his job was a bit more important and consuming than even an NFL head coach yet he found time to play tennis at least once a week and seldom ate dessert and stayed pretty trim. It requires SELF discipline. Which is why anyone I ever know of who had weight reduction surgery eventually put it back on due to their own refusal to start eating better and instead still not exercising and still eating junk food only in smaller amounts at a time of course because the surgery doesn’t allow gorging. The surgery is just a band aid if one does not change how one behaves.
    To the guy or gal who said their obese aunt eats like a sparrow and never loses weight, my guess is that she is eating like a sparrow IN FRONT OF PEOPLE. I don’t know one single fat person who didn’t overeat and/or eat mostly poorly. Not one. Everything an adult puts in their mouth is a choice. It’s hard to feel sorry for them when they are hoisted by their own petard. And in this country these days there are much more overweight people than there were when I was a kid. Look at how many fat kids there are today because lazy parents cop out and feed them McDonalds all the time and let them sit in front of video games & computers instead of preparing a decent meal (which is cheaper also) .
    And yes I realize I will probably get dumped on by PC nation because I am not “sensitive” enough. Bah. I have sympathy for the truly helpless and defenseless (children, animals), not adults who have everything in their power to change and want the sympathy and excuse parade instead.

15. Caldon says: Mar 22, 2010 8:28 AM

Wow – Florio caves into the PC and thought control crowd on a write up that was actually really tame compared to most of what he posts – what a shame. He must have gotten his fingers slapped by NBC after a few complaints.
    Whats an even bigger shame is society accepting and pushing that we should just accept obese as normal because we might hurt their feelings.

16. Duck Fallas says: Mar 22, 2010 8:36 AM

Rex can take it. He’s got thick skin.

17. Not a member? says: Mar 22, 2010 8:49 AM

I’m calling BS on Florio. Your skinny little ass ain’t ever been fat. Post a pic of yourself when you were fat Florio. BS!

18. Bassett says: Mar 22, 2010 8:58 AM

@Raiderredleg
    Re: on-field critique analysis
    I think that’s just the problem. When it comes to on-field observations, the writer in question falls woefully short of the mark. No one really wants to know what the writer thinks about his on-the-field analysis, because I’d argue he’s yet to be effective at doing so.
    In my opinion, the reach of this site has outgrown the pedantic nature of it’s feature writer.
    Adios.

19. FireJerryJones says: Mar 22, 2010 9:02 AM

Most 50 year olds don’t work in a gym all day, don’t have access to personal trainers, don’t have a dietician and team doctor on hand… and meals prepared for us.
    Rex is fat and lazy. This process is the easy way out.
    Losing weight is hard. It requires discipline and commitment.
    Rex talks big, but his actions also speak.

20. GirthyOne says: Mar 22, 2010 9:07 AM

Quit apologizing. Anyone who doesn’t like your opinion could simply choose to not read the sight. A bunch of whiners anyway.

21. VikesCan'tBuyARing says: Mar 22, 2010 9:10 AM

Good on you, Florio. Making jokes about someone’s mental struggles and shortcomings isn’t respectable, but stepping up and admitting you may have crossed the line is.
    DUI? Have at it. Multiple rape accusations? Tear him up. Making it rain at a club? Have fun. A story about an overweight man who’s taking steps to correct the problem instead of suffering severe medical consequences? Applaud his decision and move on.

22. jcjets says: Mar 22, 2010 9:24 AM

Makes more sense now. Because you were able to loose weight, you think everyone else should be able to do it too. As someone else pointed out, you were 17..he’s 50. Big difference.
    And these surgeries are not a sure thing. Many people who get them end up fat again, so its not like he will be able to just eat the same things he always did. But at least this will get him down to a point where its less of a health risk.

23. MarinoRules says: Mar 22, 2010 9:31 AM

Jets fans have devolved into whining babies….
    when i think of Ryan, I’m reminded of the classic line from Gangover: “It’s funny cause he’s fat”!!!

24. Duck Fallas says: Mar 22, 2010 9:45 AM

No one liked my pun. At least I amuse myself.
    Oh, and why should people get special treatment just because they consume more calories than they burn?

25. cousinrk says: Mar 22, 2010 9:56 AM

Why are Jets fans whiny babies? Its supposed to be a football website, not comedy central. The main issue is criticizing Rex for how he discipline his team if he can’t use discipline himself which is completely ridiculous.
    Players don’t look to their coach to set the example for fitness. I don’t think Parcells fatness hurt all the teams he coached. I don’t think the Pats look to Belicheck for wardrobe advice either or you’d see Tom Brady walking around in a ripped sweatshirt everywhere. They look to a coach who can coach, believes in them and someone they want to play for. Weight doesn’t make any difference. The entire point of the article was pointless and a huge overreach.
    I didn’t think Florio was making fat jokes I just thought he was making a judgement that had truth to it and has been debunked many times by the countless overweight coaches who have done well. Of all things to wonder how the Jets would play for Rex, that’s the most ridiculous because they played their hearts out for him and at every turn talked about how much they loved the guy. It was if Florio didn’t even watch this past season and has never watched an NFL game before

26. JCD says: Mar 22, 2010 9:56 AM

Anyone who says their loved one is obese but eats like a sparrow is suspending their reality just a bit. Losing weight is hard, hard, hard, because food tastes so freakin’ good. Until you sitl back and actually count every calorie you put in your mouth it is easy to delude yourself that you aren’t really eating that much. You were right with your first article Florio, Rex is opting for the easy way to shed pounds quickly. The band will stretch though if he continually eats just a bit more every time, and of course if he continues to down gallons of soda those calories will continue to pile up. I admire anyone who just pushes away from the table, people who go through surgery? Not so much.

27. **five_seven** says: Mar 22, 2010 10:25 AM

Thanks for this post, Mike! You rock.

28. Mangy66 says: Mar 22, 2010 10:25 AM

Maybe if Florio didn’t think it’s so “cool” to be a prick…this (and other situations where Florio has stepped into an arena that he doesn’t belong) wouldn’t be an issue.
    You go, cool guy!!!

29. fleet10 says: Mar 22, 2010 10:39 AM

Florio, you’re such an asshole. I hate you because you constantly bash my Browns, but at least that it “profootballtalk” related. This is hardly.
    First of all, I don’t know how old Ryan is, nor am I a physician, however, I would have to assume that the metabolism of a 50+ something man who (as a previous poster pointed out, that all the Ryans are heavy) is pre-disposed to obesity, is far different of that of a 16 year old kid. Your logic for bringing up your own experience escapes me. Does that somehow exempt you from any backlash regarding “fat jokes”? Really? Does someones one black friend allow them to make all the racist jokes and comments that they want, simply by explaining, “hey, I’ve got a black friend”!! That certainly is what it appears you’ve attempted to do. We live in a country plagued with addiction of all sorts. Alcohol, cocaine, heroin, nicotine, caffeine, prescription drugs, FOOD, and most recently, lethargy. A man who has struggled with one (or possibly more) of these vices has taken a step to correct it, and this somehow becomes your fodder on a “profootballtalk” blog?? Really? I hardly believe your little adolescent issue compares with years of struggle that Ryan has endured, BUT, if it did, and you overcame those great and insurmountable obstacles all by yourself (hence SELF discipline) then you, Florio, are an example to us all. (I’m sure living with your folks who presumably were buying and cooking your food didn’t have at least some impact, “mom, I don’t wanna be heavy anymore”) For your next trick, perhaps you can walk on water.
    Finally, numerous times I’ve read instances where you’ve bashed athletes and the like for backtracking on comments that they’ve made. “Not what I meant, taken out of context”, etc. And now, as soon as you (hopefully) realize how childish and inappropriate your “ahem, tone” was, your pulling the frightened turtle bit. Stick to what you know best, which is almost nothing.

30. Staff Sergeant Bandazewski says: Mar 22, 2010 10:39 AM

I was on your side last night and I still am. People are much more capable mentally than they realize. Unfortunately the power of self-doubt can be equally powerful and more paralyzing overall.
    And to everyone who buys into the “poor me, food is an addiction” route and tries to group that in with legitimate chemical dependencies, sorry but youre all highly impressionable.
    Food at its core is mankind’s and every other species method of survival. We are conditioned to survive by any means necessary.
    That does not constitute spending 63% of your food budget in the cookie and candy isle at your local supermarket.

31. endzoneview says: Mar 22, 2010 10:40 AM

It’s articles like this that make me miss the days of you posting your punk kid’s band’s YouTube clips.
    I would say stick to football news but you don’t even do a good job at that anymore. If it wasnt for Rosenthal, this site would have died.

32. endzoneview says: Mar 22, 2010 10:40 AM

I would say stick to football news but you don’t even do a good job at that anymore. If it wasnt for Rosenthal, this site would have died, much like Rex Ryan without the surgery.

33. Duck Fallas says: Mar 22, 2010 11:18 AM

I guess everyone in the history of mankind was fat at the age of 50, so there’s no fault here. Oh wait…

34. AlanSaysYo says: Mar 22, 2010 11:19 AM

No one would care that Rex Ryan is fat if he wasn’t such a loudmouthed douchebag. It behooves fat people to be nice, and Rex doesn’t get that.

35. FinFanRod says: Mar 22, 2010 11:28 AM

I know there are many issues that face are hard to deal with when trying to lose weight but don’t agree at all that they are THAT hard to come to terms with. Yes there are things like heredity and metabolism, but there are also things like reading labels, eating healthier, portion control, and exercise.
    I have tended to be heavier most of my life and bottom line, I liked eating crap that was no good for me. I am diabetic now having mostly to do with heredity and diet. The changes I’ve had to make based on being diabetic like eating healthier, lowering carbs and fats, portion control, scheduled meals, and exercise; are not only helping me control diabetes, but also helping me lose weight. I’m actually fitting into size large shirts and XL is big on me now! Bottom line, had i done these things before, I might still be diabetic, but I’d be a thinner one.
    In Rex’s case, he has how many team doctors, trainers, and nutritionists available to him? He definitely has and had alternatives he chose not to take. He’s like a thinner Kristy Alley! So deal with it Rex. You chose an easier route to FORCE you to do what you could have done with hard work and sacrifice.

36. Slow Joe says: Mar 22, 2010 11:37 AM

I didn’t read the first post, but any male football fans sensitive to fat jokes need to grow a sack.

37. Brewster says: Mar 22, 2010 11:42 AM

People on this site are sensitive? when the hell did that happen?
    The original article was typical Florio sarcasm intertwined with logic and reality. IMO there was no need to apologize.
    If Ryan had applied a little PTFFD (put the f*ckin fork down) and visited the Jets or Ravens training room for something other than conversation and worked up a sweat on a regular basis he might not have found himself in such desperate straits.
    One of the reasons I visit this site is Florio’s wit & sarcasm, don’t give it up.

38. Duck Fallas says: Mar 22, 2010 11:49 AM

Fleet10 – I hope you are the funniest sarcastic poster ever. If you are serious, then you are the epitome of “numb nuts”. Lethargy addiction has been limited to overpaid Raiders QB’s only.

39. mrfield16 says: Mar 22, 2010 11:49 AM

Florio, your biased views and hatred for the Jets is one thing..but now you are an expert on weightloss and ability to coach up players? Did you feel or ever write the same thing about Charlie Weis, Bill Parcells, Andy Reid, Vince Lombardi? Those guys have trouble getting players in line? Wow..what alow you have hit.
    Also, you mention (crowing about how great you are) that you made a decision and dropped weighht at age 17. Is losing weight at age 17 easier than age 50?

40. FinFanRod says: Mar 22, 2010 11:54 AM

Florio,
    Don’t become porky pig without the stutter or the new PC version of Speedy Gonzalez. I agree with the sentiment that if you’re sensitive to being overweight do something to change it.

41. julieinduvall says: Mar 22, 2010 12:29 PM

So, let’s see here: As others before me mentioned, you’re likening the metabolism of a 17-year-old to a fifty-year-old. Do you know much about the human body, and what happens as it ages?
    There is a reason why the diet industry in the USA rakes in $33 billion a year. Diet and willpower are not enough for a significant portion of the population. Obesity is a multi-pronged problem. If Rex Reed chose a surgical intervention, that’s his solution, and his doctors will be highly interested in his comments about learning to defeat the lap band already.
    If it’s open season on everyone that doesn’t have the physique of a pro football player around here, perhaps I need to find another source for football news.

42. sethness says: Mar 22, 2010 12:45 PM

All of you Jets fans need to read this story.
    Rex really was trying hard to lose weight- bullshit.

43. fleet10 says: Mar 22, 2010 1:18 PM

Duck Fallas says:
    March 22, 2010 11:49 AM
    ……….of course I know that, I saw it on this site…….just referencing my visit frequency, attempting to strengthen my viewpoint that Florio is a dilsmack, but not just because of this isolated article……………………..

44. Other Bears says: Mar 22, 2010 1:53 PM

Yaaaaawwwwwn!

45. Stone says: Mar 22, 2010 1:53 PM

Excuses are like &ssholes, everyone has one and they all stink. Rex seems like a good coach and an all right guy but he’s disgustingly obese. Instead of being a bunch of apologetic p&ssies in this country, we should start berating these morbidly obese fat bags that lack self control. Yeah, we’ve all been depressed and we’ve all eaten too much crappy food and gained weight, but eating habits are a personal choice. Even if you have a crap metabolism or whatever other health excuse obese people want to use, they can choose to be aware of it and adjust their diets. The information is out there and readily accessible. Put down the pizza and eat some vegetables. Look at Western Europe, they have basically the same standard of living as we do, they have the same access to crappy foods, we don’t see them succumbing to obesity the way Americans have. I agreed with your initial article’s tone. Instead of actually changing his lifestyle, Rex took the easy way out and chose surgery. Dude, get on a treadmill and decrease your caloric intake, it would take longer but then you wouldn’t have to have invasive surgery. Americans love taking the easy way out.
    And this is coming from a guy that lost 60 pounds, as you did Florio. It took a year and a lot of exercise but it was much cheaper and much more rewarding than surgery. Stop eating so much you obese pigs!!!

46. purpleguy says: Mar 22, 2010 2:12 PM

Yeah, lets blame society for an each US individual’s obesity. Why the hell can’t people just look in the mirror, wide angle or not, and admit the problem is staring back at them.

47. RaiderhateR4Life says: Mar 22, 2010 2:20 PM

Nobody should ever look at this man for inspiration to lose weight Florio, cheating is not the answer by any means. However, it is no surprise he is looking for ways to cheat, he does it all the time in football.

48. pfii63 says: Mar 22, 2010 2:50 PM

I don;t care what anyone else thinks of this article, Mike, but I do appreciate your willingness to re-examine what you wrote. It’s not a question to me of what my own body type is – that is irrelevant to my objection. We may not agree on exactly what might cross this line, but I am glad you could see that this clearly represented a problem for many readers… thank you for your willingness to do so – I will be glad to remain a faithful reader.

49. Kevin from Philly says: Mar 22, 2010 3:01 PM

Wow, maybe we’ll get the return of the Porkchop Bowl – different meaning now, though.

50. JohnnyMac_BLS says: Mar 22, 2010 3:15 PM

Mike, just stop writing about the Jets. You clearly have some kind of random hatred for both the Jets and their fans and I honestly can’t take it anymore. You’re a journalist. Act like one. It must take an extremely dense individual to conceive the thought process you came up with this morning about discipline in the locker room. Did you watch the NFL last season? Did you see how much the Jets players respected Rex Ryan? I think its pretty obvious that you didn’t. Your comment was cheap, and your “explanation” was even cheaper. Accept that what you said was out of line, and had nothing to do with the story. Who the hell do you think you are? Don’t even bother trying to answer that, I’ll go ahead and tell you. You are a cowardly, small man, hiding behind his keyboard with the arrogance to try and educate us with your little “life lessons.” I actually have a life lesson for you, Mike. Get one.

51. VikesCan'tBuyARing says: Mar 22, 2010 3:45 PM

The above posters sound bitter and pathetic. “Wah, he can pay for weight loss, wah, it takes work.” Who cares? He’s an NFL coach who makes millions each year and would rather eat a cheesestake than a grilled chicken salad. Who cares?
    Who cares if he decides to get a band put around his stomach, or suck the fat out entirely. Who cares? Stop whining because he has an advantage you don’t… if you were good enough to be an NFL head coach, you’d have the money to make your own choices too. You aren’t. Stop whining.

52. DeathSpiral says: Mar 22, 2010 4:07 PM

I thought Mike was a little hard on Ryan, but not out of line. I also did not feel it was a mean spirited attack on overweight people. I thought the same thing, “Couldn’t he have cut the weight without the surgery?”
    Ya know, I don’t come to this site for sensitive, introspective, Oprah-like, estrogen laden commentary. This is not the View (thank goodness).
    And even if Mike was over the line, that’s going to happen on occasion (rest in peace Terry Bradshaw) when your material is time sensitive, on the edge, and, you know, smart-@ss funny. He’s pretty good about acknowledging it when that happens.

53. Duck Fallas says: Mar 22, 2010 4:17 PM

It amuses me to no end that each fan base swears up and down that for whatever reason Florio has it in for them.
    Stop picking on the Jets, Cowboys, Raiders, Vikings, Eagles, Browns, Lions, Colts, and whoever else already! You’re such a big meany.

54. Ijasfahted says: Mar 22, 2010 5:58 PM

For those of you posting negative comments towards Florio, please list your weight or the weight of your wife. This will give us a better sense if Florio hit a raw nerve with the fatties. Don’t get me wrong. I dig fat chicks. They’re more grateful.

55. slipkid says: Mar 22, 2010 6:53 PM

hell i dont want to overeat so i will just go drink a freakin 6 pack… bring yer own on over…
    there are a lot of ways to pack on the pounds…
    simply being inactive will also do it to some folks.

56. ladybucs&steelersnut says: Mar 22, 2010 7:54 PM

Thanks, Florio for your original article and the follow ups – I didn’t think that you went over the line in the first one, and thought it was decent of you to respond when you saw so many posts that thought you did.
    I agree with Duck Fallas – a lot of posters seem to think that Florio picks on their team, or their coach or their players. Seems to me he picks on everybody – isn’t that the whole fun of the site? Keep it up, Mike!

57. SmackMyVickUp.com says: Mar 22, 2010 9:40 PM

Nobody helps me out of bed every morning at 5 am to hit the gym before work, some days I wish someone was there to help.
    I won’t be on the cover of Men’s Health anytime soon with the shape I am in, but I am far from obese. People don’t have to work out religiously to maintain a healthy weight, a simple examination of the food you shove into your pie hole will suffice.
    Rex took the easy way out. Your worded your first article criticizing that, nothing offensive about that.
    I’m offended you caved into the pressure of people who claim being fat is not something someone can control.

58. madsqgrdn says: Mar 22, 2010 10:09 PM

Maybe if all Rex Ryan had to do all day was scour the Internet for other peoples stories he would have time to go to the gym more often. People who have jobs where they have to create , especially on the highest level of thier profession, work crazy hours. When I got my chance I was working 16 hours a day and then had to spend time with my wife..so i personally Gained some chub.. I gained 10 not 50 but I undestand what he had to go through.
    He finally got his chance after all these years. He’s already well known for sleeping at the office game planning. That’s passion , that’s creativity, that’s inspiration already. A man making the most of his opportunity. Someone trying to work harder than anyone else to create…you ask his players if he’s inspiring.The last man to take us to an afc championship game was fat as well ( parcells ) he probably should have gotten Lap band it probably would have saved his heart. Your “apology” is half hearted at best. You’ve shown your true colors … You are a small man, and I don’t care if you don’t post this one either.. You read it.

59. madsqgrdn says: Mar 22, 2010 10:50 PM

60. madsqgrdn says: Mar 22, 2010 11:04 PM

Bravo to you guy who wakes up everymorning and goes to the gym at 5 am. You must have an amazing life.

61. Adam says: Mar 23, 2010 1:27 AM

Thanks for explaining yourself Mike. It’s just hard sometimes to know whether or not you’re kidding or being sarcastic or being honest. Z’all good