McCoy to visit Browns for two days

One day after Browns President Mike Holmgren said he wasn’t likely to draft a quarterback in the first two rounds, the Browns set up a visit with a quarterback likely to be taken in the first two rounds.

Welcome to silly season.

ESPN’s James Walker reports that Texas quarterback Colt McCoy will visit the Browns April 12-13.  Holmgren’s words Sunday did leave open the possibility of a trade back into the second round.

“I’d have to have another second-round pick [to take a quarterback in
the second round],” Holmgren said.

It might take a trade up to get McCoy, although there is a chance he could last until round three.

Really, we don’t know anything.  That’s what make the actual draft a lot of fun.  We could just do without the never-ending buildup, which is just getting started.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
33 Responses to “McCoy to visit Browns for two days”
  1. bernieisadrunk says: Mar 22, 2010 10:01 PM

Awesome. Another quitter.
    PASS
    Locker in 2010

2. CookieFlash says: Mar 22, 2010 10:09 PM

It’ll be a long two days.

3. sniperhare says: Mar 22, 2010 10:10 PM

McCoy could be a starter in the CFL, but he will be a perennial backup in the NFL.

4. JFRESH says: Mar 22, 2010 10:13 PM

“Really, we don’t know anything” at least you didn’t beat around the bush this time.

5. RAZOR 0118 says: Mar 22, 2010 10:15 PM

McCOY WOULD BE A NICE FIT IN A WEST COAST STYLE OFFENSE.

6. IStateYourName says: Mar 22, 2010 10:28 PM

Exactly, they got Seneca Wallace now you know.

7. sunflower100 says: Mar 22, 2010 10:32 PM

Has anyone considered that Mike Holmgren could trade down? That would give the Browns 2 second round picks. I doubt this will happen, but Holmgren did work with Ted Thompson before he became the Packers GM. He did trade up last year though I doubt he does it this year.

8. jsbeck says: Mar 22, 2010 10:36 PM

he said “i would need a 2nd second round pick” to pick up a qb.
    browns have a TON of picks to package up, which they will do, to make a move of some sort.

9. bigtrav425 says: Mar 22, 2010 10:41 PM

Id take him if we got another 2nd or in the 3rd…he would be a solid but not great QB

10. sultanofslot says: Mar 22, 2010 10:41 PM

“I’d have to have another second-round pick [to take a quarterback in the second round],” Holmgren said.
    WHAT THE HELL IS THIS. Holmgren didn’t say anything about a quarterback. You can’t just attribute the words to him. I don’t know what NBC is telling you to do but enjoy losing your intelligent readers who see through this crap.

11. ItalianArmyGuy says: Mar 22, 2010 10:44 PM

“Owwie, my shoulder hurts coach! Those Alabama boys are MEAN!”
    “Oh well, guess I can’t play in the final 3 1/2 quarters of the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME then!!!! I’ll just stand over here and HOLD A CLIPBOARD, and wear a REALLY SAD AND PAINED EXPRESSION on my face.”
    “Wouldn’t want to risk a big money NFL contract by SHOWING UP TO PLAY IN A TITLE GAME!!!!”
    Sounds just like a typical Browns qb to me! Might as well start the house-hunting while you are in Cleveland, Colt.

12. Girardrules says: Mar 22, 2010 10:56 PM

You can do without the buildup? Then quit
    writing about it and that will help the cause.

13. SimAlex2000 says: Mar 22, 2010 10:57 PM

@ItalianArmyGuy
    He couldn’t move his right arm. That’s a little more than “owwie.”

14. Girardrules says: Mar 22, 2010 11:00 PM

Borrrrrrring article.

15. deucez2 says: Mar 22, 2010 11:42 PM

I love how everyone is writing Colt off when he is almost exactly the same QB as some guy who just won the Super Bowl. Call me crazy.

16. Deb says: Mar 22, 2010 11:55 PM

Oh my gosh, this would be my FANTASY!!!!! Colt McCoy to the Browns!!! Yes, yes, yessssssssss. It’s just too good to imagine.
    @SimAlex2000 …
    Not true, darlin’. The hit didn’t even dislodge the ball. Then he stood up, took his “immobile” throwing arm and whacked it into his other hand. After leaving the field, he was moving the arm quite naturally, lifting it, running his hand through his hair. Then he came back on the field and held it in a pitiful way. Sniff-sniff.
    Before you start, I’ve had more than two dozen surgeries and have permanent nerve damage in my hand, so I’m not totally ignorant on the subject. And I have no patience with boys who yell “owwie” in championship games.
    Thank God the MEN–McClain with Chrohn’s disease, McElroy with broken ribs, and Ingram struggling w/leg cramps–were on the Bama side of the field.
    Roll Tide!!!!!!!!

17. horvath45 says: Mar 23, 2010 12:31 AM

First of all.. it is a news and RUMOR website.. grow up// and second…. Holmgren DID say he would think about a QB if he had another pick.. READ BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTHS IDIOTS!!!!!!
    The dragt is all speculation guessing and sometimes some intelligent lucky guesses

18. Bucket says: Mar 23, 2010 2:40 AM

Rosenthal, sometimes I wonder about you! … The Browns pick early in the third round where McCoy is probably going to be available. So why not do due diligence and see if he’s worth taking there. This is a simple thing that every team does, no smokescreans, nothing out of the ordinary. Holmgren didn’t trick anyone or lie about something. he isn’t going to use his early 2nd on a QB but he could trade up a couple spots from his 3rd rounder or stay put, or even find McCoy available later in the 3rd and move up from his 4th round pick. Stranger things have happened!

19. Bucket says: Mar 23, 2010 2:45 AM

I don’t think Colt McCoy is any better than Brady Quinn, so why lose Quinn and draft McCoy high? I think Holmgren is waiting for a QB. My guess is he wants to see how Andrew Luck progresses next year as well as Locker and Mallet, but Luck seems like a Holmgren kind of guy. He has the savvy veteran (who shouldn’t actually be playing too much) in Delhomme. He has the backup who knows his system to help teach the other guys with Seneca Wallace. Now he needs the stud first rounder in next year’s draft to complete the deal, not a third round prospect with a weak arm!

20. Settafetta says: Mar 23, 2010 6:41 AM

Why is there no mention of Dan LeFevour????

21. rgb0003 says: Mar 23, 2010 7:18 AM

@ Bucket Colt is a VERY accurate passer – something Brady will never be.

22. burntorangehorn says: Mar 23, 2010 7:37 AM

Typical idiots. You think Colt McCoy wouldn’t have gone back in the game if the medical staff had cleared him? If so, then you’ve obviously never worked hard for anything in your lives, because when you work for four years to put your team in the position to win something big, you don’t cop out. You play if you can, and the fact is that with that shoulder, Colt couldn’t.
    Morons.

23. Big Tex says: Mar 23, 2010 8:09 AM

Winnest QB in the history of college football?
    Colt McCoy
    Total number of starts missed due to injury by Colt McCoy in 4 years at Texas?
    Zero
    Can we lose the “he wasn’t really hurt” BS?

24. 3TroyBoys says: Mar 23, 2010 10:32 AM

You have got to be kidding me. You whining little brats. I want a winner, I want to win games.
    If that takes a management team to cut, trade or draft, Um anyone that will make this come true I’m for it.
    Butch, Romeo and Scavenger Savage couldn’t do it and until Holgrem proves he can’t either. I will back his decisions 100%.
    Some of you want to keep crappy player on the team instead of win. You want to complain about every move done, like you really have a clue about anything let alone football.
    Time to shut up and play.
    I hate Colt McCoy, I hate Texas. My wife is an OU fan and yes that’s why. Just like she hates Shitsburg and Go Blow (blue) cause of me.
    BUT, if Holgrem can or even thinks he can get McCoy to play in Cleveland and WIN, I Will change my hatedred in to love real fast.
    Just like Braylon whinning about us not liking him because he went to that crap a$s school up north. We don’t like him because we whines, makes excuses and just plain sucks. It has nothing to his school. Althought we will point out to him that UM does bite just to make him cry somemore.
    Whining Browns fans need to stop it, your acting like a Braylon……..

25. 3TroyBoys says: Mar 23, 2010 10:42 AM

This and most other boards are for Browns fans to talk and give some knowledgable information comment on articles. Some cool or interesting idea’s.
    I like that…. sounds good….
    Not for you to cry and whine and witch with a B about your sucky attitude like I’m your freaking Mama.
    Grow up little child.
    The best way to know if your the child? Your not laughing right now. LMAO

26. Deb says: Mar 23, 2010 11:50 AM

@burntorangehorn …
    His father told CBS during the game that it was no big deal but they’d decided to keep him out to preserve him for the draft. After the game, they said he wouldn’t need any further rehab, PT, or anything. Only AFTER the criticism did he start with the “I’m still trying to work through it” stuff.
    @BigTex …
    How many games did he finish? Go back and watch the portions of the championship game when he was onscreen … in slo-mo … frame by frame … and make your own judgment.
    People will get over the championship game if he comes into the league and hangs tough in the face of a relentless NFL pass rush … the way Sanchez did when the Ravens starting D swarmed him in the preseason … the way Stafford did when he came back out and threw the TD despite the shoulder separation in his other arm. I don’t think McCoy can handle that. But he may prove me wrong.

27. Dawgpound2009 says: Mar 23, 2010 3:56 PM

Yeeeeeeeeeeeehaw Colt Mccoy to the rescue ! He’s is no better than the two bums they just signed or the two they just let go. Maybe Colt can smash the defensive lineman in the helmet with his guitar as he is running for his life behind the Browns pourous offensive line ?
    Maybe good old Colt can sit in the dawgpound and sing “Happy Trails” to Mangini when they finish 4-12 next season ?
    If you are going to pick a quarterback that high in the draft, You might as well go with Tebow over Mccoy. Better athlete and more intangibles.
    The truth is they will go with Levi Brown, Sean Canfield or Skelton the later rounds to develop.
    I will be shocked if they draft Bradford, Clausen , Mccoy or Tebow.

28. Big Tex says: Mar 23, 2010 4:14 PM

Craig Morton took a team to the Super Bowl with a separated throwing shoulder (separated in the 5th game of the season). Big difference between pain and numbness.

29. Deb says: Mar 23, 2010 6:25 PM

@Big Tex …
    Uh-huh … we’ve hashed this out before and we’ll just have to agree to disagree. I’m usually a tolerant person, but not where McCoy is concerned. I believe he heard the footsteps that night–and from what I’ve heard, it wasn’t the first time. I don’t think he has the mental or physical toughness for long-term NFL success. Time will tell.
    It’s not a knock on Texas. I have mad respect for Gilbert. Winning and losing isn’t the sole measure of a man.

30. The Coop says: Mar 23, 2010 6:53 PM

@GreggRosenthal –
    Can do without the buildup? Isn’t that what feeds Florio’s stupid hamster to keep this site running?
    I don’t think that the Browns should draft McCoy, but if they do, the bonus is that he brings his girlfriend. That chick is FIRE.

31. Deb says: Mar 23, 2010 8:44 PM

@Big Tex …

32. 3TroyBoys says: Mar 23, 2010 9:17 PM

WOWS STOP THE PRESSES.
    We now have the smartest most intelligent QB assessor in the world.
    We should bow down……… because we will no longer have to worry about having a crappy QB. This guy knows all……
    He even knew that an average QB from Michigan drafted in the 6th round by the Patriots would be one of the greatest of all time, right…. not

33. thejanitor says: Mar 26, 2010 5:09 PM

Here is hoping McCoy does not land in some trash heap like the Browns…..that team is terrible and it does not matter who they bring in to try to right the ship……the fans are terrible and the city is cesspool ……….I hope the Browns take Quinn his play will fit in with this loser organization.