Parker could return to Steelers

W. Parker2.jpgThe Steelers reunion tour could add another member.  This player never never really left.

Scott Brown of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review writes that Willie Parker could return to the team

The Steelers want to add depth behind Rashard Mendenhall to compete with Mewelde Moore, and Parker could fit depending on who they take in the draft.

It still sounds like a long shot to us, but it could be a coupling of last resort for both sides.  Parker hasn’t found a decent job offer elsewhere, and the Steelers probably can’t do much better if they have to sign a veteran free agent.

Permalink 44 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
44 Responses to “Parker could return to Steelers”
  1. jm0205 says: Mar 25, 2010 10:34 PM

I’d rather see a young back, preferably a big one.. I like Mendenhall, but he doesn’t run with the power that you’d expect from a RB his size.. Would love to see LeGarrette Blount in black and gold

2. MIAfinfan1993 says: Mar 25, 2010 10:34 PM

hes a good back he shud go to buffalo even kno miami is guna sweep there whole division this yr and jus wait til ted ginn becomes one of the most elite return mans in the game

3. jm0205 says: Mar 25, 2010 10:35 PM

Or maybe Isaac Redman

4. FoozieGrooler says: Mar 25, 2010 10:37 PM

Well the hell Florio.
    What’s this got to do with Ben Roethlisberger being a rapist / serial molester / cop corrupting / bribe paying / lousy tipper?
    You’re slipping.

5. blitzburgh1 says: Mar 25, 2010 10:40 PM

duh.
    that is all.

6. Deb says: Mar 25, 2010 10:40 PM

Well hello, Gregg. Sorry for the snark, but my patience is quite thin at the moment, so I can’t resist commenting that it’s nice before this day ends to finally read a Pittsburgh-themed article from a relatively sane member of the PFT family. (If you visit WV, don’t drink the water. Obviously the mines are leeching some dreadful chemical that induces previously okay people to start obsessively posting wildly speculative and seemingly vindictive rants.)
    I’d be thrilled if Willie finished his career in Pittsburgh. He has been a tremendous asset to the team and deserves a chance to contribute where he can and retire as a Steeler.

7. ArtModellsPimp says: Mar 25, 2010 10:49 PM

No matter. Pittsburgh will still suck.

8. The Coop says: Mar 25, 2010 10:52 PM

Pretty sure it’s because no one else wants him, and you Yinzers who think he has any value at all are just Yinzers.
    This team used to (smartly) get rid of older players at the very start of their downswing, not bring back / keep them until they completely decay.

9. BBB82 says: Mar 25, 2010 11:01 PM

Good move. The team could really use an extra hand bringing water to the players.

10. Ravenmuscle says: Mar 25, 2010 11:02 PM

MIAfinfan1993
    Did uze ever takes an inglish corse? Cuzz use rights likes an idiot.

11. jediwrstlr says: Mar 25, 2010 11:17 PM

Hmmm, if you can’t run between the tackels, catch the ball out of the backfield, stay healthy, or carry for more than 2 yards per carry, I guess you wouldn’t be able to sign with another team. I would love to see PIT go after the guy in Baltimore, Mclain. Thats a Bus type back they are lacking.
    At least this was a good article to read, unlike Florio’s.

12. Matt says: Mar 25, 2010 11:21 PM

# jm0205 says: March 25, 2010 10:35 PM
    Or maybe Isaac Redman
    *********************************************
    Looking forward to seeing him in the preseason again.

13. jollyrob68 says: Mar 25, 2010 11:22 PM

Thanks Willie for the Memories. Time to move on.
    I want Toby Gerhart and for Isaac Redman and Justin Vincent to get a shot. Take a Scat back at the end of the draft like James Brandon.

14. Ravenmaniac says: Mar 25, 2010 11:23 PM

Deb…if that is the case, steeler fans must have the WV water trucked in to their house.
    Foozie…I think you have about covered it….no need for further follow up Florio.

15. Matt says: Mar 25, 2010 11:29 PM

Out of curiosity, wasn’t Parker kind of pissed with regard to his role on the team last year? Why would he go from that reaction, to wanting to compete with Mewelde Moore in 2010? Even if he didn’t get an attractive offer elsewhere, the circumstances don’t set the stage for Parker to be motivated to go out and be the guy who competes with someone else to get the other guy’s play up.
    I don’t have anything against FWP and don’t want to see the guy get booted if there is still a role that he can be effective at and would be willing to do. However, on the surface of it and without knowing more, it doesn’t seem like a great strategy.

16. sportsguy15478 says: Mar 25, 2010 11:30 PM

well for one thing the steelers are not gonna suck as long as ben is in the line up and 2 us steeler fans would like to have parker back as a back up and also would like the guy to retire as a steeler since we are the only team that gave him a chance and until injury was a good RB for us.i understand the whole why bring him back he is getting old but did you see him against the dolphins being a back up he had that burst like the old parker

17. PersonalFoul says: Mar 25, 2010 11:38 PM

finfan…Ginn is a joke..he wont get there..Hartline is better and even Camarillo..

18. ItalianArmyGuy says: Mar 25, 2010 11:45 PM

@FoozieGrooler says: March 25, 2010 10:37 PM
    “Well the hell Florio.
    You’re slipping.”
    =========================
    And what’s it got to do with cheating Patriots, SpyGate, Belicheat, and stealing Super Bowls??

19. Michael LaRocca says: Mar 25, 2010 11:48 PM

Willie Parker can still beat Fess Parker in a footrace

20. roland2305 says: Mar 26, 2010 12:02 AM

Can good ole Glass Willie play quarterback?

21. this class sucks says: Mar 26, 2010 12:16 AM

@jm0205
    I concur.

22. Tony DeHoff says: Mar 26, 2010 1:12 AM

I would be surprised if Pittsburgh didn’t draft a young RB and let Used To Be Fast Willie go on his way.

23. Dolphinatic says: Mar 26, 2010 1:32 AM

242 carries 1108yds 4.6yds per 7tds
    25 catches 261yds 10.4 yds per 1td
    whats not to like about a guy with those numbers year #1 starting, coming off a major injury. Mendenhall in a beast. His size- speed ratio is great and he has an elite ability to spin off tackles. Oh yea and he will only be 23 in June this year. I wouldn’t touch slick Willie unless he knew firmly he was a back-up.

24. PittsburghPope says: Mar 26, 2010 1:43 AM

I want Willie back!

25. Dolphinatic says: Mar 26, 2010 1:45 AM

MIAfinfan1993… from your lips to gods ears man… but I have my doubts about tiny Tim err Ted… he may just be a bad pick by a bad former head coach… but like I said I’m praying. Speed kills…but so do ST headhunters.

26. LOV3LikeRockets says: Mar 26, 2010 2:30 AM

Wow Deb seriously are you that much of a blind follower? Good gawd! I mean I am a huuuuge Steeler fan, but even I can see that Ben has been an idiot. Florio reports the stories. I think everyone here would be more on his case if he just ignored the situation. Hey if Ben doesn’t want it out in the public, its simple…just dont do it.
    As far as FWP is concerned, he’s a good guy and did a lot for the team. But I think we need some more fresh legs on the team. Redman or Blount would be great.

27. cunn9305 says: Mar 26, 2010 7:58 AM

Willie got healthy and ran hard at the end of the year against Miami. He’ll be a plus for a good price if he sticks around next year. I wonder if he can throw …

28. Pervy Harvin says: Mar 26, 2010 8:22 AM

…Let us get back to important Steeler issues! What is up with Ben Fondlesberger Florio?

29. Rogue says: Mar 26, 2010 8:23 AM

Here are a few stats for Steelers RB’s
    ATT YDS AVG LONG
    Mendenhall 242 – 1108 4.6 60
    Willie 98 – 389 4.0 34
    Moore 35 – 118 3.4

30. Nick says: Mar 26, 2010 8:30 AM

I’d rather see Toby Gerhart in black and gold.

31. Rogue says: Mar 26, 2010 8:32 AM

Here are a few stats on Steeler’s RB’s
    ATT YDS AVG LONG
    Mendenhall 242 – 1108 4.6 60
    Willie 98 – 389 4.0 34
    Moore 35 – 118 3.4 15
    Receiving
    Mendenhall 25 – 261 10.4 26
    Willie 6 – 64 10.7 27
    Moore 21 – 153 7.3 19
    Even thoough Willie didn’t play that much due to a bad toe his carries and receptions are still there. The few games I saw in which he played he still had some quickness about him on the open holes. So give me a healthy FWP and you will have a good backup, but mendenhall has some maturing to go yet.

32. Holeinone09 says: Mar 26, 2010 8:35 AM

I have said several times that I would love to see FWP back for the right price. He ran pretty weel at the end of the season in the few spots he was used. I don’t think he is finished even though he has not been the same after the broken leg. He still has that potential to break the big one and would be a nice complement to Rashard. He knows the system. He is not old. I support the move if they can work it out. You need at least 2 good running backs to get by in the league these days.
    They need to fill some other glaring needs early in the draft instead of RB unless an outstanding stud is available.
    GO STEELERS!

33. Jack Burton says: Mar 26, 2010 8:36 AM

Isaac won’t get the shot he deserves sadly. If they don’t go with OL or DB in the first 3 rounds I’m gonna lose it.

34. DoctorK says: Mar 26, 2010 8:41 AM

Well Ben is an idiot, at the very least, but to suggest the team won’t win without him is funny. I’m more concerned about him sitting out of the Baltimore game last year and how it affected chemistry than this situation.
    That said, I don’t think Willie burned the bridge here…he certainly wasn’t disgruntled through the media.
    Someone said they’d be disappointed in the Steelers don’t draft a RB. That’s ridiculous. This team still hasn’t addressed the major concerns from last season—the offensive line and the DB’s.

35. DoctorK says: Mar 26, 2010 8:46 AM

BigBr, I guess you were there, holding Ben’s hand when all of this went down. What bothers you is there was a crime?? Are you completely insane??? Do you actually live in the United States?

36. Pervy Harvin says: Mar 26, 2010 8:57 AM

Big BrEasy says: If you offer Pervy Harvin a Zima no doubt he will bend over, even for you.
    ————————————————–
    I had to Google just to know WTF a Zima was.Apparently you are the fag to know such drinks. Men don’t roll like that up here in MN. I understand though. New Orleans has more fags than San Francisco.

37. DoctorK says: Mar 26, 2010 9:22 AM

Yeah, in Minnesota men “roll up” on the back of sheep.

38. HamBurghlar says: Mar 26, 2010 9:33 AM

I’d also love to see FWP be a Steeler till he retires, but he’ll have to get his head around a different role that past years.
    And @TheCoop: they still do, buddy..best in the LEAGUE at getting rid of people at the right time. They technically “got rid” of Willie by not resigning him, knowing that if nothing else happens, he’ll resign for less/a lesser role. It’s not like the running game starts and ends with him, cmon now.. it hasnt’ been that way in 2 years.
    BTW, where’d these Dolphin fans come from, especially the illiterate one at the beginning of the post….MIAfinfan1993?

39. FoozieGrooler says: Mar 26, 2010 9:44 AM

“# Pervy Harvin says:
    ————————————————–
    I had to Google just to know WTF a Zima was.Apparently you are the fag to know such drinks.”
    hehe, I think it was pretty obvious that’s what he was getting at.
    [ whoosh ] that’s the sound of the joke going right over your head.
    Funnier still, is you proving his point.

40. Shawn says: Mar 26, 2010 9:46 AM

I would like the steelers to draft C.J. Spiller, but we need much needed help at other positions like CB and OL. With the Bengals and Ravens upgrading at the receiver position the Steelers need to definitely address the CB position in both the first and second rounds.

41. UckTheFeagles says: Mar 26, 2010 10:06 AM

I’m sure the serial rapist on the team is happy…fresh meat.

42. 6goingon7 says: Mar 26, 2010 10:22 AM

I hope Willie comes back. People in the Burgh give him a hard time because we were spoiled with Bettis for so many years. Need to come to terms with the fact that not every back that puts on the black and gold is going to be able to fall forward for 4 yds. when there are 8 men in the box and no holes to run through. (Yes Beavis I said box and hole in the same sentence.) Parker has never been an every down, power running back, and to think that he is going to succeed at that without a fullback in Darth Tomlin’s singleback sets is just not realistic.
    A little extra depth at the position never hurt anyone..except maybe Duce Staley. I think Mendenhall can carry the work load (heh heh, load) but he did catch the fumble bug last year. Not to mention he’ll need a breather because hes often dizzy from all the unnecesary spin moves.
    HERE WE GO!!!

43. Deb says: Mar 26, 2010 1:45 PM

@Ravenmaniac & LOV3LikeRockets …
    Boys, that comment had nothing to do with Ben’s reckless behavior. I’ve defended Florio before because PFT is a blogsite that mixes fact, rumor, and opinion–so people shouldn’t expect journalistic integrity. But he does have a law degree, so he knows he’s skating a thin ethical line by indulging wild speculation–such as his last Roethlisberger post yesterday. A real journalist who’s been covering the story for a real newspaper got so frustrated he posted a question about competence … if it hasn’t been deleted.
    As I explained on another thread today, because of my life experience, I have intense feelings about sexual assault, false accusations, using rape as an extortion plot, and the culture of victimization. Throw in the emotions of having my team’s QB as the accused and the story has created a lot of turmoil for me–as evidenced by my obsessive posting. But if you think I’m just blindly cheering my team, you’re not paying attention.

44. Big BrEasy says: Mar 27, 2010 12:31 AM

FoozieGrooler says:
    March 26, 2010 9:44 AM
    “# Pervy Harvin says:
    ————————————————–
    hehe, I think it was pretty obvious that’s what he was getting at.
    [ whoosh ] that’s the sound of the joke going right over your head.
    Funnier still, is you proving his point.
    =================================
    Hah, no shit right Foozie? We cant blame the kid though, for he is not of legal drinking age. By the way Pervy, how did this work out for you:
    Pervy Harvin says: January 23, 2010 7:09 PM
    Saints fans- Did you feel the Northern chill and shadow of impending doom as the Viking plane landed in the Big Easy? Sure you did. In living up to their name,the Vikings will pillage and plunder the Saints season.They will leave the Superdome in a silent stupor after 60 minutes of Minnesota domination.Be braced, it will shock you. Hope you have no hard feelings, Favre wants redemption.You are just in his way.