PFT finally invades Facebook

In the world of social media web sites, we prefer Twitter to Facebook.  But just because you drink Pepsi doesn’t mean you can’t keep some coke in the fridge.  (Or some Coca-Cola.)

Our Twitter page has been going strong for a while now, with more than 36,000 folks getting instant links to all PFT content plus other random observations and/or failed attempts at humor that I am able to articulate in 140 characters or fewer.

Starting today, our Facebook foray officially has launched.  Previously, there had been some unofficial fan pages, or whatever in the hell the right word is.  While we appreciate the fact that some of you felt sufficiently strongly about the site to set them up, we would have appreciated it even more if you have more readily surrendered them once we decided to take them over.

All of our posts will appear on our Facebook “wall,” whatever in the hell that is.  Beyond that, I currently have no idea how it will work, but we welcome you to become or friends or our fans, whatever in the hell the right term is.

We currently have no plans to set up a MySpace page, because our official youth trends consultant (Florio Jr.) advises me that it MySpace is currently regarded as “lame.”  That said, he also currently thinks I’m lame, so maybe it’s a good fit.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill
23 Responses to “PFT finally invades Facebook”
  1. Jackson says: Mar 25, 2010 10:49 AM

Twitter is gay, Facebook is not. about time.

2. The Real Shuxion says: Mar 25, 2010 10:50 AM

Good to see you are ahead of the curb. Doing a facebook long before other sites do.

3. Brobokil says: Mar 25, 2010 10:54 AM

Facebook is like Twitter, only is has the ability to hold more than one sentence at a time. And it’s navigatible. And it’s not cheap and pointless.
    Also, there are actually MARKETING and ADVERTISING capabilities. Money money Mike.

4. dustyschmidt22 says: Mar 25, 2010 11:22 AM

you can create much more of a profile of yourself on facebook, twitter is basically a program of nothing but facebook status updates. both definitely have their uses

5. Milhouse says: Mar 25, 2010 11:23 AM

If you get 1 million fans will you change your kid’s name to Megatron?

6. Colinito says: Mar 25, 2010 11:36 AM

Facebook is way better than Twitter. But I would not put every post in the wall or people are going to hide you from their feed pretty quick. Use it for special circumstances, huge breaking news, and marketing/advertising special events like the Mason auction.

7. DonRSD says: Mar 25, 2010 11:38 AM

became a fan & posted!

8. ClownBurger says: Mar 25, 2010 11:39 AM

Actually, you can set it up where your twitter messages automatically get shared on your facebook page. So your messages will go to both locations.
    Even though twitter sucks.

9. Pea Tear Griffin says: Mar 25, 2010 11:53 AM

Now you can finally see what all your fans look like.
    Actually, this is not really a good thing.

10. Pea Tear Griffin says: Mar 25, 2010 12:01 PM

Forgot to mention, but I think someone else put it the comments:
    You probably shouldn’t put every story on facebook. That’s going to clog everyone’s feed real fast. Save it for breaking news, or big announcements, or your ‘soapbox’ posts.
    I already follow you on twitter and don’t need to see everything twice.

11. jimicos says: Mar 25, 2010 12:12 PM

Mike Florio’s facebook status: I’m posting my stoopid opinion of overtime rules for the umpteenth time…. Today.
    Greggg Rosenthal’s facebook status: I’m searching for more g’s to append to the end of my name. They make me look older, you know.
    Josh Alper’s facebook status: Florio set me to work looking for new ways to misspell words.
    Taco Bill’s facebook status: I’ve been pushing up daisies since Florio killed my character in season 9.

12. Marv_Sleezy says: Mar 25, 2010 12:13 PM

I disagree with everyone. You cant compare FB and twitter, they do 2 very different things.
    You should all be following PFT on twitter, as well as about 20 other top sports writers and journalists to get their immediate links to all their content.
    You can follow twitter just by going to the webpage.
    As for facebook, I only follow my friends, why would I want PFT putting articles on there all day?
    And this page already has a comments section, so thats redundant and unnecessary to comment on facebook.
    There is no reason to friend or fan PFT on facebook, none.

13. Make It Rain says: Mar 25, 2010 12:16 PM

Maybe you can have DJ Dirty Sanchez help you set up your MySpace page. We haven’t heard from Gino the Ginny in a few years.

14. John El Way says: Mar 25, 2010 12:31 PM

Ahhh Myspace and Facebook, where posers and sluts go to when they want to raise their I.Q. to just below a dung beetle who watches reality tv.

15. jimicos says: Mar 25, 2010 1:03 PM

Does Facebook have a spell checker?

16. brasho says: Mar 25, 2010 1:24 PM

Florio, Jr. is right, you are lame… but MySpace is pretty cool with all the 12-13 year olds. I’ve been following PFT since it came back and I even worked with the original CFT back when we had to post reports for each conference… but I won’t be becoming a fan of PFT on Facebook. I already don’t care to read which of my friends are going to jazzercise that night or are going to eat a bowl of chili for lunch.

17. Eric Kidd says: Mar 25, 2010 2:36 PM

Hey Florio-
    Best luck with the Facebook fan page. Let me know if you need some support in using more social media marketing.
    I work as a New Media Development Specialist for a business newspaper in Colorado, and I would be more than happy to help PFT with their latest ventures. (ekidd@ncbr.com)!
    Thanks,
    Eric Kidd

18. Marv_Sleezy says: Mar 25, 2010 3:04 PM

Eric, thanks for spamming a public message board about football – Very classy. Why would he need support from you when he is with NBC??

19. jimicos says: Mar 25, 2010 3:11 PM

Eric Kidd says:
    March 25, 2010 2:36 PM
    Hey Florio-
    Thanks,
    Eric Kidd
    ——————————-
    …because every good social media expert knows he should post his email address on a site full of sarcastic, smartass misfits. I mean, that’s just good sense right there.

20. nothing says: Mar 25, 2010 3:24 PM

did you know Russia owns the majority of Facebook?

21. jimicos says: Mar 25, 2010 6:34 PM

In Soviet Russia, Facebook owns you!

22. DeeDubb says: Mar 25, 2010 10:03 PM

Another HILARIOUS pun from Florio. Good job moving to Facebook, I mean I love using other outlets to find out information that can be found at PFT’s actual website. Wait, huh…?

23. Richm2256 says: Mar 27, 2010 9:28 AM

The first douchebag Jets fan who spams us looking for a secret stash of bazookas for his Mafia Wars, or the Squeelers fan who needs help building a barn in Farmville, is going to kill this fun experiment.