The next Super Bowl halftime show could be stomach-flab free

Apparently, not every birthday wish comes true.

So will the trend toward rockers-who-need-walkers continue, or will the event again skew a bit younger?

The next Super Bowl will be televised by FOX, and the guy who runs the show there recently was asked whether the halftime show will feature performers under the age of 60.

“Oh, please, God, yes,” FOX Sports Chief Executive David Hill told Joe Flint of the Los Angeles Times.  “If I saw [Who guitarist] Pete Townshend’s belly
again I was going to throw up.  In his younger days it might have been
rippling muscle, but now it’s like mine — rippling fat.  From the
conversations I’ve had with the NFL, we won’t need oxygen.”

Generally, it’s good news.  Then again, there are plenty of younger acts that, well, suck.

Permalink 155 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
155 Responses to “The next Super Bowl halftime show could be stomach-flab free”
  1. downwithdansnyder says: Mar 25, 2010 11:05 AM

Just wait ’til they legalize the funky weed in CA this november. Half the Raiders will probably get suspended.

2. lightofkolob says: Mar 25, 2010 11:07 AM

Gosh…..
    Metallica finally……..please.
    Im still bummed out we lost an Aerosmith half time show by making them share with nsync

3. RaiderMight says: Mar 25, 2010 11:07 AM

Green Day would be a great pick. First time I agree with you Florio. But God, please no teen crap. No Justin whatever his name, taylor swift, etc.

4. Love_Boat_Scandal says: Mar 25, 2010 11:07 AM

Green Day would be awesome . . . 15 years ago.

5. The Real Shuxion says: Mar 25, 2010 11:08 AM

I pull for Cannibal Corpse, Screaming Afterbirth, Disgorge, or Puking Death (Made that one up but a cool name nonetheless)
    Good old family music.

6. champ1315 says: Mar 25, 2010 11:08 AM

Green Day? Come on man, I wanna watch football not slit my wrists.

7. 65TossPowerTrap says: Mar 25, 2010 11:08 AM

Green Day? Is this 1997? How about a young band that can actually rock, like Wolfmother?

8. Politely Stoned says: Mar 25, 2010 11:09 AM

The Black Crowes, the ultimate stoner band or Green Day would both be fine with me.

9. Cake Or Death says: Mar 25, 2010 11:09 AM

Next year it will be Justin Bieber.

10. ChrisD says: Mar 25, 2010 11:10 AM

SB in Dallas, will probably be Shania Twain or Carrie Underwood.
    Maybe you’ll see Reba McIntyre in a bare midriff…

11. midwest says: Mar 25, 2010 11:10 AM

That would work because Green Day SUCKS REAL BAD!
    What a horrble “three chord only” piece of crap band!

12. Bdrunk says: Mar 25, 2010 11:10 AM

Green Day would be cool. For the Marie Jane tie-in tho I would go with Snoop Dog.

13. WilsonFisk says: Mar 25, 2010 11:10 AM

Wayne will be out on good behavior then….he will be looking for a huge stage…if he can get CBS to allow him to perform live I don’t know how NFL n Fox could deny him….
    Okay it won’t happen but I can dream can’t I?

14. jackybadass says: Mar 25, 2010 11:11 AM

how about the grateful dead? obama could pass a law to make superbowl sunday a national holiday and legalize weed on the same day.that would be the best game ever!

15. Xenu_D_Alien says: Mar 25, 2010 11:11 AM

How about Cypress Hill and Snoop Dogg? I’d love to see the look on Jerry Jones’ face when he realizes they fish-bowled his cathedral.

16. Lumas101 says: Mar 25, 2010 11:12 AM

You only want Green Day so Florio Jr. can make a cameo.

17. MuskyHunter2542 says: Mar 25, 2010 11:12 AM

311

18. ClownBurger says: Mar 25, 2010 11:13 AM

Most of these young groups today suck. Fortunately I still have the choice of turning the channels if i don’t like it without getting fined.

19. JoeSixPack says: Mar 25, 2010 11:14 AM

Mike – isn’t your son a big Green Day fan?
    …just sayin’…

20. habibfromnewdehli says: Mar 25, 2010 11:14 AM

I was hoping while they were doing all these “older white groups” they’d eventually get it right and go with Twisted Sister.
    But now that they’re planning on going in a much different direction, I’d have to vote for Black Eyed Peas. They’ve got plenty of songs that everyone can sing along to with the catchy hooks/choruses.
    But the Super Bowl is in Texas this season… so I’m assuming it will be some high-profile country singer.

21. jtm1023 says: Mar 25, 2010 11:15 AM

Nickelback would be an awesome halftime show. Young enough to appeal to the kiddies and still know how to rock like the good ol’ boys from days past.

22. GBISFULLOFFATTIES says: Mar 25, 2010 11:15 AM

Everything about this sucked!
    “We’re officially pulling for Green Day, which would fit nicely with the perceived marijuana epidemic among incoming rookies.”
    Not funny and Green Day is the worst band EVER!

23. Chapnasty2 says: Mar 25, 2010 11:17 AM

I think the Black Eyed Peas would be good. They are pretty neutral and wouldnt offend too many people. These old guys seriously suck and I have watched the “Puppy Bowl” on animal planet ever since Justin Timberlake ruined halftime shows.

24. se18a29 says: Mar 25, 2010 11:17 AM

Fock Greenday. Anti-American assholes…

25. RavensFreak00 says: Mar 25, 2010 11:18 AM

I would like to see Linkin Park perform.

26. Rex Grossman says: Mar 25, 2010 11:19 AM

Wait, you consider Green Day a band that doesn’t suck? They are no better than some Disney band like the Jonas Brothers. And why are guys in their 40′s singing about how hard it is to be a teenager? Not to mention the crappy pop rock riffs in EVERY song that Mike Florio could play within 2 weeks of picking up a guitar. You have terrible taste in music, Mike Florio. I once again suggest listening to The Clash if you want some truly great “punk” music.

27. PurpleIsForGays says: Mar 25, 2010 11:20 AM

jtm1023 says:
    March 25, 2010 11:15 AM
    ————————————————-
    Know how I know you’re gay?

28. mrzazz41387 says: Mar 25, 2010 11:20 AM

What about the epidemic of morons who try to pass themselves off as journalists, by writing for PFT.

29. FootballFanatic718 says: Mar 25, 2010 11:21 AM

They need to bring out Puff daddy with his multi thousand dollar half time shows he puts out

30. don't tell me, show me says: Mar 25, 2010 11:21 AM

I agree they need to get a younger act to do halftime. I like The Who and listen to their music but, they were horrible. I don’t know if it was by design but, they quit half way through Pinball Wizard which was fine because they were butchering it. Also, I couldn’t hear Pete’s guitar half the time. The only good thing about the show was its going to save me money because, if they were going to tour again I was going to buy tickets. Thats not going to happen I will just stick to listening to their albums.

31. Rex Grossman says: Mar 25, 2010 11:21 AM

jtm1023 says:
    March 25, 2010 11:15 AM
    _______________________
    I hope you are trolling. Fool.

32. Canyonero says: Mar 25, 2010 11:22 AM

Green Day would be neat.
    Not only are all their songs monotonous and sound the same, but they could tell us how imperialist America sucks, and that we’re racist Nazis if we dare question the president.

33. WhySoSerious says: Mar 25, 2010 11:22 AM

Its gonna be George Strait. You heard it hear first!

34. kpweaver27 says: Mar 25, 2010 11:23 AM

I get that there aren’t a lot of “The Who” fans, but guys, this is the Super Bowl, not your radio stations local concert. You have to get someone transcendent. Green Day just isn’t at that level. I’d be more inclined to look at Metallica, Rush, Nickelback, etc.
    However, here is my personal wish. Someone mentioned Carrie Underwood, and wouldn’t it be hilarious to see her reach a Super Bowl before Tony Romo? Oh and since it’s my wish, the Colts beat the Vikings too.

35. Zaggs says: Mar 25, 2010 11:24 AM

The Killers, hot right now, more talent then most bands out there and not as stale as Green Day and brings a nice slice of Americana without too much worry.

36. Jeff says: Mar 25, 2010 11:24 AM

How can an American Idol halftime not be a slam dunk here? The show’s struggling on FOX, so it could use the increased exposure. The acts are generally percieved as pretty safe, and it skews younger. You can’t tell me that David Hill and Co. aren’t pushing for a Kelly Clarkson/Carrie Underwood/Adam Lambert-type musical montage.

37. polishkingski says: Mar 25, 2010 11:25 AM

id settle for a twenty minute close- up of pam oliver`s ass….

38. Fapplejax says: Mar 25, 2010 11:25 AM

Jesus Christ you people listen to some shorty music. Wolfmother? Black Eyed Peas? NICKELBACK?!? You’ve got to be f-king kidding me.
    As far as a LEGIT band, how about Muse? The networks already play “Uprising” on every broadcast. At least they’re a band with integrity, and they’re not just banging out unimaginative, radio-safe bullshit. But that probably means it won’t happen.

39. 4ever19 says: Mar 25, 2010 11:25 AM

Go Rihanna / Taylor Swift. They could do the Paul McCartney / Michael Jackson thing.

40. CP21 says: Mar 25, 2010 11:25 AM

hahaha
    Marijuana epidemic
    A high percentage of successful and other wise law abiding citizens from both Canada and USA enjoy the MJ. This includes a high percentage of athletes (amateur, professional and olympics) as well as the executives and other “businessmen”.
    As long as they are not high on the job, it does not affect the job!
    It has been that way for years, the “epidemic” is not a new thing. War on drugs is a waste of money and should focus on heroin, crack-cocaine and crystal meth.

41. Action Dan says: Mar 25, 2010 11:25 AM

They should just rotate Tom Petty & Prince every other year. The only two real good acts of recent memory.
    And maybe U2 can pop in once very 5 years.

42. BlueLotusChild says: Mar 25, 2010 11:25 AM

Man, I visit PFT several times a day to get all the latest NFL news. But for the love of God, can somebody get rid of Mike Florio? I can not stand this guy. Anybody else feel the same way?

43. CKingz9ers says: Mar 25, 2010 11:26 AM

It’s in Texas people. Tim McGraw, Faith Hill, Toby Keith, George Strait, etc. will be the type assortment they choose from.

44. AllThat says: Mar 25, 2010 11:27 AM

How about no bands at all?
    Punt, Pass, & Kick….
    Or they could just show Big Ben’s huge freaking head on the 60 yard TV Screen for 20 minutes and see if any chick in Dallas wants to file an assault charge….
    I’m just sayin

45. Xpensive Wino says: Mar 25, 2010 11:28 AM

Come on…….it’s Dallas. It’s going to be a collection of every right wing, whacko hillbilly on the face of the earth. They’ll have Sarah Palin form a band so she can perform as well.
    And by the way, if someone other than Green Day or U2 made great music who didn’t start their musical careers in the ’60′s or 70′s, then perhaps the NFL would have a wider variety of acts to choose from. It’s no big mystery that the NFL stays away from anyone under 45, because virtually every music act sucks now and even the ones that don’t make you want to vomit, have ZERO appeal the audience the NFL has.
    The reason these acts end up being disappointing is because it’s simply impossible to take 30, 35, 40, 45+ years of brilliant music and cram it into 12 minutes. Can’t be done. The audience will never be left satisfied.

46. Pervy Harvin says: Mar 25, 2010 11:28 AM

Geez, all you guys that want to watch guys. Hell with the quality of the band. I want skin. Tit and ass. No flab. Pussycat Dolls,Girls Aloud,Beyonce,Shakira shaking it half nude. All at once. Don’t even need the sound on…

47. Randall says: Mar 25, 2010 11:28 AM

Then again, there are plenty of younger acts that, well, suck.
    We’re officially pulling for Green Day
    So you want a crappy halftime show? I’d rather watch them empty Dylan’s colostomy bag. That way you only have to look at sh*t, not listen to it too.

48. Tailgun says: Mar 25, 2010 11:29 AM

My vote is always for the hotties if you’ve already had U2 (and they have). Shania Twain and Britney Spears were two memorable moments of Super Bowl eye candy that I recall. Otherwise, if you’re going for the Gen X crowd, get another great rock act from the 80s, like Def Leppard or Guns.

49. Boudin says: Mar 25, 2010 11:31 AM

Dillinger Escape Plan will play a 2 minute halftime show.

50. StaffordInfection says: Mar 25, 2010 11:31 AM

I will officially quit watching the NFL if they run nickleback out for anything but a preseason halftime show.

51. polakojones says: Mar 25, 2010 11:34 AM

Nickleback? Are you f@@king kidding?!? That happens to be the worst excuse for a band…EVERY….one song sounds like them all..DOUCHES you included…

52. CookieFlash says: Mar 25, 2010 11:35 AM

I like the idea of some country music but I’m not sure about the overall appeal to all audiences. Maybe mix it in with Jay-Z and then round out with one of less dreadful rcok bands that have made a name for themselves recently……I don’t know any but that should cover everybody.
    Come to think about it I don’t really know any country groups either but I still think its a good idea.

53. sharfins says: Mar 25, 2010 11:36 AM

The Jonas Brothers live in Texas now too so make sure they are anywhere but there. haha. Black Eyed Peas put on a great show! Almost anything is better than a band that is old enough to have attended the Super Bowl I

54. Citizen Strange says: Mar 25, 2010 11:37 AM

Franz: It’s no use, Arnold. Compared to you we are losers. And not even the grown-up kind, the little baby losers.
    Hans: Ya. You know, you could very easily flick us with your littlest finger, and send us flying across the room until we landed in our own baby poop.

55. anonymous says: Mar 25, 2010 11:37 AM

green day and these other late 90s bands are all well and good but lets be realistic, fox is going with lady gaga. do i like her? no. but lady gaga has broken almost every record she possibly could, including 1billion total youtube views. thats a lotttttt of extra people watching the superbowl, including a lot of the gay community. if they can get her to not be 95% nude i’d put donovan mcnabb on it fox goes with her.

56. FumbleNuts says: Mar 25, 2010 11:37 AM

Black Eyed Peas, Nickelback, or Buckcherry would be a good fit.

57. Jack Acid says: Mar 25, 2010 11:38 AM

Green Day BLOWS, I wouldn’t watch them in a halftime show, and I am well short of 40.

58. maclin19 says: Mar 25, 2010 11:40 AM

They won’t do Nickelback due to its unimaginable horribleness. However I think the Red Hot Chili Peppers have a pretty good chance of getting selected. They’re releasing a new album at the end of 2010 while coming off a 3-4 year hiatus, so they might be looking for the exposure. Plus they’re at a good age to still put on a good show and appeal to most ages.

59. DerekLutz says: Mar 25, 2010 11:40 AM

Nickelback and “awesome” in the positive sense should never be used in the same sentence.
    It will be country – probably a Taylor Swift, Kenny Chesney, Sugarland type multi-artist halftime. It is big D. Big stadium, big country hoedown.
    Personally, I vote for Kanye, just for the train wreck possibilities.

60. nyjshane88 says: Mar 25, 2010 11:40 AM

I’m jacked about this. I’m 22 and I can appreciate the older music, but how about a group made up of dudes that arent old enough to be my grandparents? Green Day or Fallout Boy would be sick.

61. foom1011 says: Mar 25, 2010 11:41 AM

Bon Jovi or Journey.

62. zappa says: Mar 25, 2010 11:41 AM

G. Love and Special Sauce.

63. mjk68 says: Mar 25, 2010 11:42 AM

Any group would be a welcomed break from the horrible commentary stylings of Joe Buck.

64. rickah8888 says: Mar 25, 2010 11:43 AM

I would say U2, but Bono is smart enough not to perform in Steer & Queer country.

65. Tim's_Mom says: Mar 25, 2010 11:44 AM

Classic Van Halen.

66. KILLER FIN says: Mar 25, 2010 11:44 AM

Green Day SUCKS!!! How about KISS!!! how about the Motley Crue, how about Metallica??? it would be a better show than Green Day!!! No wonder no one watches the half time shows any more!!! But what do the fans know???

67. cbrianwatkins says: Mar 25, 2010 11:45 AM

green day sucks
    why not Kings of Leon, or someone with popularity in the new milennia
    @ jtm1023 – nickelback? seriously? get a life dood, they are a poor mans pearl jam

68. forthnoggin says: Mar 25, 2010 11:45 AM

weezer!

69. Dolfan34 says: Mar 25, 2010 11:48 AM

Green Day would be great!!
    But come on guys…..how about a little respect for The Who!! So they’re a litle bit older, it was still great to see them up there. There was a time when they could clean up any of the crap bands that are out there today……so many non-talented acts out there today, it’s not even worth listening to.

70. hnirobert says: Mar 25, 2010 11:48 AM

Phil Collins?

71. similis says: Mar 25, 2010 11:50 AM

Wow, that’s hip, dropping a Green Day reference.
    If you think that they’re one of the hippest bands around today, no wonder you think music sucks…

72. ClownBurger says: Mar 25, 2010 11:50 AM

Most people over 40 have never heard of any of these new bands.
    They’ve had young bands on before anyhow and they always sucked.
    Shania Twain was on before as well and sucked. Remember, she dressed up like a dominatrix and had a skirt so short that if she hadn’t waxed we would have seen bush.

73. Cameltoecleavage says: Mar 25, 2010 11:51 AM

I actually wouldn’t mind watchin Carrie underwood for halftime, I’d have the tv on mute but still wouldn’t mind watchin

74. jefriley says: Mar 25, 2010 11:53 AM

Did someone say Nickleback?!? Only if the Superbowl was the Lions or Rams v/s (insert crappy AFC team here). That way it would be a total suckfest. P.S. Nickleback is far from “awesome”.

75. overkil2 says: Mar 25, 2010 11:55 AM

I vote for Evanescence.

76. Chapnasty2 says: Mar 25, 2010 11:56 AM

@ rickah88
    Once again you prove yourself to be retarded. That hypocrite idiot Bono and U2 already performed there. GENIUS!

77. gopher says: Mar 25, 2010 11:58 AM

I would like to see them put a cage on a stage and then put all the “insiders” from ESPN, Fox, NFL Network and PFT and have them fight it out and the winner is the only one who could provide worthless rumors.

78. deathandgravity says: Mar 25, 2010 12:02 PM

Nine Inch Nails!

79. jefriley says: Mar 25, 2010 12:02 PM

My vote is for Drive By Truckers and Possum Jenkins.

80. Dead Coach says: Mar 25, 2010 12:04 PM

Those of you thinking that Dallas will mean a country or otherwise Texas-themed halftime haven’t studied your NFL history. This is a league that had Janet Jackson and Nelly in Houston, and Shania Twain in San Diego. They had to Rolling Stones play in Detroit, and Diana Ross in Arizona. Prince played Miami, but when the game was in Minneapolis they had Gloria Estefan. Whoever plays Dallas, they will likely be a much better fit somewhere else. Hopefully that somewhere won’t be Del Boca Vista this time.

81. Jagmankane says: Mar 25, 2010 12:07 PM

Adam Lambert….. yeah… that’d be great.

82. Craig says: Mar 25, 2010 12:08 PM

It will be Garth Brooks.

83. ThreeIfByAir says: Mar 25, 2010 12:10 PM

As Jeff says, it’s on FOX, so they’re going to find a way to connect it to American Idol somehow. Plus Idol’s two biggest winners both have strong Dallas connections.
    So it’ll be Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood and Crystal Bowersox. (If by some strange chance Crystal doesn’t win this year, replace her with whoever does.)
    They won’t use Adam Lambert because they’re terrified of a wardrobe malfunction after what he did at the AMAs. Plus, he didn’t actually _win_, and that’s important to FOX.

84. diskoh says: Mar 25, 2010 12:14 PM

The guy who said Lady Gaga is on to something. She doesn’t make the best music, but give her a large budget and she will make the halftime show an entertaining spectacle, which is exactly what has been missing.

85. WarrenMoonGOAT says: Mar 25, 2010 12:15 PM

JUSTIN BIBER!!!

86. fudgepack says: Mar 25, 2010 12:19 PM

I’d like to see the other guy from Wham! do a duet with Oates.

87. 2 Dimes and a Nickel Back says: Mar 25, 2010 12:20 PM

Just have a hot chick performer do it…then we can all be happy. Men who don’t like the music have someone to look at, and women can sing along. Problem solved.
    On a side note…Nickelback or Buckcherry would probably hurt their ratings. Buckcherry is a coked out trashy ‘new age old sound’ poser band.

88. The Real Shuxion says: Mar 25, 2010 12:20 PM

Chapnasty2 says:
    March 25, 2010 11:17 AM
    ————————————————-
    Dude………Never disrespect the Puppy Bowl.

89. bgm says: Mar 25, 2010 12:21 PM

3 Doors Down…just sayin…

90. Nuckinfutz says: Mar 25, 2010 12:22 PM

They’re going for a younger group.
    Il Divo……
    …Book it!!!!!

91. alewatcher says: Mar 25, 2010 12:26 PM

4ever19 says: March 25, 2010 11:25 AM
    Go Rihanna
    —————–
    Rihanna can’t be beat. Well, except by Chris Brown.

92. Damn it Chiefs!! says: Mar 25, 2010 12:29 PM

I vote for The Melvins!!!! Although the excitement of hearing the Melvins could make the Super Bowl irrelevant afterwards since we would all be basking in the glorious eargasm we would experience.
    Or We could have Bob Log 3 play.
    Green Days sucks, they wear eye makeup. And Billy Joe sounds like his nose is always stuffed up. Screw Green Day and thier 3 chords

93. rocknrollsinger says: Mar 25, 2010 12:33 PM

Of course I’d love a bunch of obscure sad bastard music at halftime, but I realize that’s not possible. So if you are considering bands that are huge enough to interest the unattentive mainstream sports fan, you’re probably going to HAVE to pull from the pool of bands like Green Day, Metallica (though weird Christian groups would object), or Pearl Jam (prob the best choice). I’m just being realistic here.
    And to that dude who said Nickelback… you are obviously the last person on earth who doesn’t realize that they are the MOST hated band since Creed, who now can’t even sell out shows when they charge 99 cents to get in. Seriously. I’m not making that up.

94. bigrig says: Mar 25, 2010 12:35 PM

How about 30 minutes of complete silence instead of any of the lame entertainment the NFL has provided us with over the years. 30 minutes of peace and quiet, please.

95. momar3000 says: Mar 25, 2010 12:35 PM

Its gotta be HOV! C’mon, hes so hot right now.
    Or Outkast…..they are diverse enough though they dont apperently make music anymore :(

96. bearpaw says: Mar 25, 2010 12:37 PM

You want a modern band with good hit songs…a band that is great live…a band with no drama..a band that isn’t going to expose body parts or swear…..a band that gets bigger every year and has toured with just about everybody…..a band that rocks hard but isn’t threatening…..
    you want Shinedown.
    But they probably are another big album away from being at that level.
    They’ve been on all the morning tv shows playing Second Chance and 45 and Simple Man were major hits but thats all mainstream America is gonna know sadly.
    I don’t know how songs like Fly From The Inside,Save Me and Sound of Madness would work at a Super Bowl……I think it would kill but we gotta think of Susie Soccormom and Gretta Granny here.
    Green Day is stale.
    Nickelback is to modern rock what Bon Jovi was in 1988 so they would work.
    How about a double bill of Def Leppard/Bon Jovi?
    Both bands are friendly with eachother and could team up on any number of classic covers and then each do one of their own hits.
    Please no R&B/country BS. And if Justin Beaver is on I will puke.

97. RaiderhateR4Life says: Mar 25, 2010 12:37 PM

Lady Gaga hahaha

98. bearpaw says: Mar 25, 2010 12:38 PM

you want Shinedown.
    But they probably are another big album away from being at that level.
    Green Day is stale.
    Nickelback is to modern rock what Bon Jovi was in 1988 so they would work.
    How about a double bill of Def Leppard/Bon Jovi?
    Please no R&B/country BS. And if Justin Beaver is on I will puke.

99. WhySoSerious says: Mar 25, 2010 12:39 PM

Craig is probably right.

100. vsn says: Mar 25, 2010 12:41 PM

Bon Jovi, Metallica, or Foo Fighters would be some decent choices.

101. BroncoBourque says: Mar 25, 2010 12:42 PM

With it being in Texas, it will likely be a coutry singer or multiple country singers. They are generally safe and won’t embarass the NFL or FOX or cause them to get fined.
    With it being on FOX I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they do an American Idol halftime. I wouldn’t want that myself but then again I watch the Super Bowl for the game and use the halftime to eat and empty my bladder so I could really care less who they get.

102. scrapdawg12 says: Mar 25, 2010 12:46 PM

I’d love to see Lady Gaga perform the halftime show. God damn is she hot in her own freaky way.

103. Ctownfan10 says: Mar 25, 2010 12:46 PM

Linkin park with jay-z…or the red hot chilipeppers

104. JComp says: Mar 25, 2010 12:47 PM

Im hopeing Weezer or RHCP, and whoever said fallout boy, go kill yourself.

105. Jerbs7 says: Mar 25, 2010 12:50 PM

Motorhead… now thats what Im talking about

106. PeopleSmarterThanMe says: Mar 25, 2010 12:51 PM

Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers!!!!!!!
    (I watch the puppy bowl at halftime anyway)

107. joshmassey says: Mar 25, 2010 12:51 PM

Not really that hard to figure, especially because it’s in Dallas.
    The first call will be to Garth Brooks. If he doesn’t accept, the second call will be to Garth Brooks, asking him to reconsider. At least 10 calls will be made to Garth Brooks before Jerry Jones ends up kidnapping one of his children for ransom.
    It will be Garth Brooks.

108. Chapnasty2 says: Mar 25, 2010 12:55 PM

“Dude………Never disrespect the Puppy Bowl.”
    I was being 110% serious man! I watch that at halftime evey year as opposed to the garbage they put on!

109. Wrathchild says: Mar 25, 2010 1:00 PM

Yeah, I’d rather see tits again.

110. Playoffs?! says: Mar 25, 2010 1:01 PM

Thank goodness they’re doing something about the joke that has been the Super Bowl halftime show for many years since the Janet Jackson “wardrobe malfunction”. Green Day would not be a good choice, simply put, they suck. I agree with Chapnasty that it should be Black Eyed Peas or someone along those lines…

111. shawnstreet says: Mar 25, 2010 1:04 PM

I think its funny how things change with time. For example, can you imagine the uproar had Paul McCartney and The Who played at Super Bowls I and II?? If this trend continues and they continue wanting “safe” acts, I can’t wait for Super Bowl 65 when we have Marilyn Manson and Snoop Dogg playing together.

112. SterilizeTHenry says: Mar 25, 2010 1:06 PM

Chapnasty2 says:
    March 25, 2010 11:17 AM
    ———————————————–
    Um…Fergie has a history of going on stage drunk, making obscene gestures, and one time she actually pissed herself while performing. The network will not put her on a super bowl stage.
    Not sure if they have already done a halftime show, but I say U2. Young or old, their music is awesome.

113. hitch1969 says: Mar 25, 2010 1:07 PM

“One of the biggest criticisms in the wake of Super Bowl XLIV focused on the halftime show, which featured a couple of guys whom we vaguely recall openly choosing death before old age.”
    Florio, your commentary is brilliant. I am so glad that NBC Sports picked up your site.
    =h=

114. cyco420 says: Mar 25, 2010 1:19 PM

I’m with Tim’s Mom. It must be Van Halen!

115. pilot08 says: Mar 25, 2010 1:20 PM

holy crap people, I didnt know Americans were this stupid with music!! come on people, NICKLeback>? green day? who the F is fall out boy? Good lord.
    just put widespread, pearl jam, or chilli peppers out there and everything will be fine.. or some bad ass country act since its in texas..
    just no “music” that makes me want to slit my wrist or hate my mom, please.. I doubt that many 7th graders watch the Superbowl anyway.

116. bobinpuertorico says: Mar 25, 2010 1:23 PM

I have a surprise for Mr. David Hill, Fox Sports Chief Executive. Although he might be too young to appreciate Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend, there are plenty of “baby boomers” who thought the last Super Bowl half time show was great. I suppose the Jonas Brothers or some of the younger performers on the Disney channel are more in line with what Mr. Hill likes, but if he ignores the preferrences of the baby boomers who are at or near retirement age, he will lose the largest demographic segment and possibly his job. It is not necessary to have performers from the 1960′s for every half-time show, Green Day, Garth Brooks and others would be great choices. However, if he ever gets a chance to have Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, the Moody Blues, Pink Floyd or similar groups, it would be a major mistake to reject such groups based solely on their age.

117. robigd says: Mar 25, 2010 1:24 PM

Fortunately, Metallica is still relevant and touring the world, so I don’t see them doing a Superbowl halftime show.

118. brasho says: Mar 25, 2010 1:26 PM

Green Day’s the worst. A bunch of California idiots that speak with English accents.

119. mustbechris says: Mar 25, 2010 1:29 PM

I’d like to see the Foo Fighters. I’m not their biggest fan, but I think they have wide enough appeal among a number of different types of audiences and would mesh well with what the NFL is trying to do.
    With that said, they’re gonna have to get into rap sometime soon as well. I think Jay-Z would be the best choice if they went in that direction. Maybe they would wait for a super bowl in New York for him though?
    I can’t stand Green Day, if they get the super bowl show I will cry real tears.

120. footballnut says: Mar 25, 2010 1:29 PM

Nickelback is an awful choice, I agree with a poster above that said they are the most hated band since Creed, but Creed was brought upon by Stapp, egotistical ass he is…You might as well invite Linkin Park also, boy rock band. Green Day is a tired act. Lady Gaga is interesting in a car wreck sort of way, but nonetheless interesting.
    Chili Peppers, Shinedown @ bearpaw don’t forget Burning Bright is a hit some will recognize, or Weezer would be excellent choices that were mentioned above. Shinedown is a southern crunch style band, so if it were the three I would go with them.

121. CountSnail says: Mar 25, 2010 1:34 PM

Fapplejax says:
    March 25, 2010 11:25 AM
    ___________________________________
    I agree with this. Muse all the way.

122. finsbooyah says: Mar 25, 2010 1:39 PM

Overkill!! Bobby Blitz will put on a clinic on how to rock!
    But seriously, what about Billy Joel?
    And to people suggesting that Nickleback and Fall Out Boy are good music… Thank God you haven’t graduated grammar school yet and have to make any real decisions. Now go do your homework

123. odds75to1 says: Mar 25, 2010 1:40 PM

AllThat says:
    March 25, 2010 11:27 AM
    How about no bands at all?
    Punt, Pass, & Kick….
    I’m just sayin

Dude, I just spit my drink out at my desk — post of the week!

124. kelevra says: Mar 25, 2010 1:52 PM

Muse is incredibly talented, and hitting a peak in popularity at the perfect time. They play rockin’, dramatic music.
    I think they’d be a nice fit.

125. Branephood says: Mar 25, 2010 1:52 PM

Surprised no one has mentioned Pearl Jam yet. No real controversy, they can appeal to younger and the 40′s crowd, have an awesome song catalog to pull from and are still very much relevant. America’s version of U2 in my opinion.
    In Fantasyland, I’d love to see Slash and Axl kiss and make up and bring some classic GNR tunes to the Bowl…Welcome To The Jungle, Sweet Child O’ Mine, and close it out with Paradise City, hell yessssssssssss

126. tombrookshire says: Mar 25, 2010 2:06 PM

Isn’t a little naive to believe that this is a new phenomenon? Just wait till they get into big money contract, then just like their NFL brethern, they will be consuming dope at a volume equal to their enormous paychecks. I guesstimate that the annual worth of the drugs being used by NFL players runs into the double digit millions. It is well known that that more than a few players drive cars after over- consuming alcoholic beverages. That mostly goes unreported because of an NFL-friendly media, and law enforcement officials who let them go, thrilled that they got to meet an NFL player.

127. FumbleNuts says: Mar 25, 2010 2:16 PM

The Georgia Satellites, Guns N’ Roses, or Tesla would be nice.

128. contraryguy says: Mar 25, 2010 2:38 PM

With ridiculously bad choices like (everything listed above), it’s time to bring back the marching bands. Texas with their big drum, Okies with their covered wagon. The Battle of the Bands, Jerry style.

129. jagsfan74 says: Mar 25, 2010 2:38 PM

You all are forgetting the BEST live band in the world!! TOOL!! The Superbowl could use a little MJK. The halftime show isn’t evil enough!!

130. shukey11 says: Mar 25, 2010 3:01 PM

Foo fighters, weezer, U2, Pearl Jam, STP. All would be good. But i would hate to see ACDC.

131. Spanna says: Mar 25, 2010 3:02 PM

I’d suggest Arcade Fire, but they’d probably just get lynched down there in Jesusland….
    Weezer or RHCP wouldn’t suck….
    And yeah, I’d be down with one of the old school marching bands- the NFL is into the whole “throwbacks” thing after all….
    If it’s rap, country, or just general suckiness- Puppy Bowl, here I come!

132. Thor says: Mar 25, 2010 3:19 PM

I want either Fergie or Carrie Underwood…….or both. Both are smokin’ hot. Plus, if there is a “wardrobe malfunction” no one will complain.
    Heck, throw in Kellie Pickler too. Just don’t let her talk.

133. se18a29 says: Mar 25, 2010 3:48 PM

90% of you clowns also voted for the socialist Obama. No doubt you would screw up the halftime show too. Idiots…

134. IHTINB says: Mar 25, 2010 3:49 PM

METALLICA METALLICA METALLICA!!!!

135. 24ksmith says: Mar 25, 2010 3:57 PM

se18a29 you are the only tool that has to bring politics into the mix

136. se18a29 says: Mar 25, 2010 4:14 PM

24ksmith says:
    March 25, 2010 3:57 PM
    se18a29 you are the only tool that has to bring politics into the mix
    EVERY band brings politics into their show, idiot. Now, go lick Obama’s boots…

137. The Gipper says: Mar 25, 2010 4:17 PM

Beastie Boys

138. Mike D says: Mar 25, 2010 4:34 PM

Goddell is pushing for Streisand.

139. maclin19 says: Mar 25, 2010 5:26 PM

@ Mike D. that would be one of his better ideas to date. I miss Tagliabue.

140. jagsfan74 says: Mar 25, 2010 5:35 PM

shukey11, I definetly agree with you on Pearl Jam and STP. I’ve seen both of these bands and they are amazing live. Eddie Vedder and Scott Weiland are two of the most charismatic frontmen alive!! I would love either of these bands.

141. antalicus says: Mar 25, 2010 5:40 PM

They need a band that plays music you normally listen to at football games. Like Metallica or AC/DC.
    I would like to see Slash with some songs from his new album (collaboration album). That would be awesome.

142. davidsaia says: Mar 25, 2010 7:38 PM

Why not someone like Phil Collins, Elton John, Billy Joel, Rod Steward, or George Michael.

143. davidsaia says: Mar 25, 2010 7:39 PM

Why not someone like Phil Collins, Elton John, Billy Joel, Rod Stewert, or George Michael.

144. flpackerfan says: Mar 25, 2010 9:27 PM

midwest says: March 25, 2010 11:10 AM
    That would work because Green Day SUCKS REAL BAD!
    What a horrble “three chord only” piece of crap band!
    4 chords at least…but hey they still suck.

145. Philtration says: Mar 25, 2010 10:44 PM

Green Day?
    I just tasted a little bit of vomit.
    How about a cage match between Rosie O’Donnell and Dick Cheney?
    I mean an all out to the death fight.
    That would be a half time show that I would finally watch.

146. Thunderbolt says: Mar 26, 2010 1:54 AM

Foo Fighters.
    Set: The Pretender, All My Life, Everlong, Monkey Wrench
    Epic.

147. like i says: Mar 26, 2010 11:03 AM

I always thought watching a SB halftime musical performance was lame. They always seem rushed and it seems like the bands just try too hard to put on the ultimate performance in a compressed time frame. Why not get away from musical acts and do a mini Cirque du Soleil or something like that.

148. 6goingon7 says: Mar 26, 2010 12:03 PM

Spice Girls reunion or the Jonas Brothers…
    this is why I watch the puppy bowl

149. ForceEight says: Mar 27, 2010 9:26 AM

Someone said THE KILLERS. That would possibly be the best halftime show yet.
    Which, admittedly, isn’t saying much.

150. SimAlex2000 says: Mar 27, 2010 2:08 PM

Stone Temple Pilots for the win.
    or Filter.
    as for all the Green Day hate… people saying they can’t “rock” or are bashing them because their songs consist of “only 3 chords,” you apparently haven’t listened to American Idiot and/or 21st Century Breakdown…
    and, for the record, Led Zep’s “whole lotta love” consists of three NOTES, and i don’t hear too many complaints about that being a “simple” song.

151. Deb says: Mar 27, 2010 2:10 PM

Branephood says:
    March 25, 2010 1:52 PM
    ———————————————
    Oooooo we’re in the same bizarre Fantasyland. The only thing that would make me happier would be the resurrection of Ronnie Van Zant & co. for an original Lynyrd Skynyrd jam … which is probably more likely than Slash & Axl making up or the NFL taking a chance on Axl wigging out during the Super Bowl.
    Speaking of Skynyrd, though, it’s Texas. Isn’t there any current act that can manage a good redneck jam (not the watered-down Rascal Flatts stuff)?

152. WhoDey_Man says: Mar 27, 2010 3:09 PM

nickleback, hinder, seether, fall out boy. all on the same stage, at the same time……
    and the set explodes and everyone is covered in their splattered body parts as PANTERA and RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE take the stage and rape the souls of everyone within earshot.

153. Deb says: Mar 27, 2010 4:00 PM

Branephood says:
    March 25, 2010 1:52 PM
    ———————————————

154. ArtieLange says: Mar 27, 2010 6:46 PM

I think we should opposite end of the age spectrum and have Henway play the halftime show.

155. Earl P says: Aug 22, 2010 10:19 AM

I got really drunk a couple of days ago and listened to Linkin Park do “one step closer” at the road to revoloution and it was awesome..ever since then i thought linkin park at the halftime show would be great. If we have to compromise genre, then give them Jay-Z, i wouldnt mind that.
    And for all these green day haters. go on thier website and look at some of the kinds of shows they put on, or you can read about them too. Green day would rock that show beyond any other, as long as they can keep thier broadway cast out of it…