Michael Turner OK with fewer carries

Falcons coach Mike Smith doesn’t plan to give running back Michael Turner the ball as much in 2010 as he did in 2008 and 2009.

Turner says he’s OK with that.

That doesn’t bother me,” Turner told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “I just want to be ready when my number is called. Like I said last year, nobody can predict how many times I’ll be able to touch it this year. We just have to take it game by game.”

In 2008, Turner’s first year with the Falcons, he had 376 carries. In 2009 he had 156 carries through the first eight games before ankle injuries limited him to a grand total of 22 carries over the second half of the season. Smith now thinks he overworked Turner in Turner’s first 24 games with the Falcons, and Turner seems to agree.

“I understand that the coaches want to take care of me, and that’s for the team not just for me so that I can be around a little longer,” Turner said.

Turner says his ankle is healing, and that he should be at full speed soon.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
14 Responses to “Michael Turner OK with fewer carries”
  1. shukey11 says: Mar 27, 2010 4:52 PM

Ahh its good to hear a nice team first approach from players in this me me me league

2. atlantafalCANS says: Mar 27, 2010 5:05 PM

You only need one ball when you’re throwing strikes!
    GO FALCONS!!!!!

3. SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says: Mar 27, 2010 5:05 PM

In some of those earlier games of the season like the 49ers, Bears, Cowboys, Dolphins & Patriots he had some bad games way under 100 yards rushing but when he got going vs. the Saints & Redskins & Hugh’s favorite band of gay merry pixie Panthers in November he averaged almost 140 yards rushing those 3 games until his ankle thing got him but Jason Snelling is a load to handle who’ll see spot duty & injury prone Jerious Norwood who’ll see plenty of time as the speedy change of pace guy so life is white (in honor of the late Alex Chilton).

4. atlantafalCANS says: Mar 27, 2010 5:17 PM

Well played shukey…

5. bigtrav425 says: Mar 27, 2010 6:02 PM

So is he worth a 1st round fantasy pick this yr then? lol

6. Fonetik says: Mar 27, 2010 6:17 PM

@SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK
    Holy run-on sentence, Batman!

7. scrapdawg12 says: Mar 27, 2010 6:18 PM

That worries me that his anke isn’t healed yet. It has been months since he has touched the ball. Has he not been able to train this offseason? He should lose 10 lbs. He’s to big, needs more burst

8. HellsGrimTyrant says: Mar 27, 2010 6:42 PM

Just another example how the age of the feature back is over. I’m pretty sure the plan was to ride Mike Turner for another 2 to 3 seasons at least before cutting back his carries. It’s not like he was worn out in San Diego as LDT’s backup.

9. kennethnoisewater says: Mar 27, 2010 6:46 PM

right bigtrav? thats all we need to know

10. JakeDSnake says: Mar 27, 2010 7:05 PM

JaMarcus Russell not OK with fewer calories.
    Seriously, it’s been like 16 hours since the last JaMarcus is fat post – I’m getting all itchy and agitated.

11. BlueEyeDevils says: Mar 27, 2010 8:01 PM

2008 Turner 2nd in rushing – Falcons 11-5
    2009 Turner hurt – Falcons 9-7
    Turner got hurt because the Falcons made him carry some 376 times in 2008, burnt him out trying to make Matt “CHOKE” Ryan look good.
    In 2009 because Turner was injured and feeling the effects of running too much the previous year, Matt “CHOKE” Ryan was exposed for what he truly is…………………
    Another “Great Hope”……………..
    Ha ha ha

12. aliowls19 says: Mar 27, 2010 10:13 PM

Yh matt ryan has choked, shut up blueeyedevil…bet u said the same about peytons first year also which he still holds the most ints by a rookie qb so button it unless u have something smart to say

13. F*DeSmithANDObama says: Mar 27, 2010 10:42 PM

BlueEyeDevils…if a white guy hated black players the way you hate white players they would be called a racist. What does that make you? On the other hand, don’t answer that. We all know.

14. darius.sabet.hates.the.garbage.falcons.pats=dynasty says: Mar 29, 2010 4:07 PM

dynasty dbo smarten up