AFL returns on Friday

It’s already March 29, which means it’ll soon be April 1.  Which means that the Arena Football League will soon be returning.

Our friends at NFL Network will be televising the first of 18 weekly games on Friday night, when the Chicago Rush visit the Iowa Barnstormers.

Calling the action will be Paul Burmeister and Solomon Wilcots.  Throughout the year, Fran Charles will handle some of the play-by-play duties for Burmeister, and Charles Davis and Tom Waddle will sub for Wilcots in the analyst chair.

The games will be televised in HD, and they’ll feature “in-game audio techniques” aimed at capturing “the high-scoring action and fast-paced intensity” of the AFL.

We’re not entirely sure what that means, and the only way to find out will be to tune in and watch.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
21 Responses to “AFL returns on Friday”
  1. tre_fizzle says: Mar 29, 2010 1:10 PM

are they going to simulcast the games on NFL.com?

2. Fonetik says: Mar 29, 2010 1:12 PM

I’d rather headbutt a knife, Florio. Thanks anyway, though.

3. 8man says: Mar 29, 2010 1:13 PM

I’ve always had a soft spot for this league. It’s good that it is back.

4. FedorTheChamp says: Mar 29, 2010 1:13 PM

So does this mean the NFL is running this thing??
    It’s about time! I always thought we needed a a “Fun” Spring Football league operated by the NFL!

5. mzezulak says: Mar 29, 2010 1:20 PM

Yawn

6. Bwa Ha Ha says: Mar 29, 2010 1:23 PM

Is this animated or live action?

7. Jimmy says: Mar 29, 2010 1:31 PM

At first I though that said “Alf,” as in the 80′s TV show about the alien from Melmac, and I actually got excited.

8. Anarcho Purplism says: Mar 29, 2010 1:36 PM

Can’t we get a 2nd dose of underwear olympics or something?
    Maybe Deon can cover Chris Carter while Marino tosses some backyard balls instead.

9. CurseofBoJackson says: Mar 29, 2010 1:39 PM

Jimmy, very funny, and I would have been excited too. Does this mean that ONLY the NFL network will be airing games?

10. Bob S. says: Mar 29, 2010 1:41 PM

all of a sudden nfl is embracing all OTHER kinds of football? wonder why? maybe a huge gap in their schedule next season?

11. jbrink83 says: Mar 29, 2010 1:46 PM

Im glad the AFL is back in buisness. It gives people who love any form of football somethin to watch in the off-season

12. Flvikesfan says: Mar 29, 2010 1:47 PM

Woooo Hoooo AFL is back!! If you have never been to a live game you are missing out big time. It is constant action, I actually enjoy it more than the NFL games I’ve been to…then again I am stuck seeing Bucs games so you have to figure that into the equation.

13. nowathand says: Mar 29, 2010 2:06 PM

I don’t know if the one-on-one matchup means they don’t need elite speed, but some of the receivers I’ve seen in this league (Bobby Sippio, Ben Nelson, Jason Geathers) have made more circus catches than NFL guys.
    I expect it will be better than ever.

14. AllThat says: Mar 29, 2010 2:14 PM

AFL Sucks………..I was with Jimmy….I would rather atch ALF.

15. coachhart says: Mar 29, 2010 2:28 PM

Too bad this isn’t even the best indoor football league. GO IFL!!

16. cbrianwatkins says: Mar 29, 2010 2:57 PM

coachhart says:
    March 29, 2010 2:28 PM
    Too bad this isn’t even the best indoor football league. GO IFL!!
    ————————————————–
    i personally feel like the IFL is a joke, every single one of their teams logo’s can be found among various teams in various other sports, and thats just the beginning of my rant LOL

17. BENACCI says: Mar 29, 2010 2:59 PM

I went to the Pre Season game for the Tampa Storm this friday, it was free and beer and food were $2.00. I love having the AFL when there is no NFL!
    Season tickets are only $50.00
    Go Storm

18. GoBrowns19 says: Mar 29, 2010 3:16 PM

Why don’t they send some of these teams to England? Don’t mess with the NFL please. It’s all some of us have!

19. nicewolf64 says: Mar 29, 2010 3:44 PM

i enjoy watching the afl. blink and you miss 4 scores

20. edgy1957 says: Mar 29, 2010 4:15 PM

BENACCI says:
    Season tickets are only $50.00
    Go Storm
    *********************************
    You’re lucky. My season tickets more than tripled when the team moved into a new arena and when I complained about it and wanted a reason why, they didn’t give me an explanation, they justed moved me from the front row to the next section back so I canceled my tickets and I’m not going back. Oh and you’re lucky that Tampa has tickets that low because it’s double that for the nose bleed section. The funny thing is that I got 5 people from work to buy season tickets but that apparently didn’t mean much to them.

21. tighthead says: Mar 30, 2010 7:56 PM

Glad to see the AFL is back.