Maualuga returns to the Bengals

After an eventful offseason that has resulted in a DUI arrest and a four-week stay at a treatment facility, Bengals linebacker Rey Maualuga has returned to the team for offseason workouts.

“I know I have been through a little bit of havoc the past couple
months,” Maualuga said, per Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer.  “All I can say is you’re looking at a different
guy and a different person.  I just hope the city of Cincinnati and all
my fans will accept my apology and help me through all this and help me
move forward.”

To his credit, Maualuga promptly pleaded guilty only four days after the arrest, and he has spent time at The Center for Drug and Alcohol Programs in Charleston, S.C.  Reedy says that Maualuga called the event a “life-changer.”

Maualuga also is recovering from a broken ankle, but he’s expected to be ready when on-field offseason workouts begin on May 11.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
24 Responses to “Maualuga returns to the Bengals”
  1. BBB82 says: Mar 29, 2010 1:46 PM

Next step… stop giving booze to underage girls.

2. wryly1 says: Mar 29, 2010 1:49 PM

I’m a fan of a Bengals rival, but I wish him all the best for successful recovery.

3. Fonetik says: Mar 29, 2010 1:53 PM

Well, the guy clearly made a giant error in judgment. To his credit though, he took responsibility for his actions and accepted the punishment. Tough not to give him credit for that.

4. CurseofBoJackson says: Mar 29, 2010 2:01 PM

Let me preempt the ignorant and predictable “Bungles at it again”/”Typical Bengal”/”He doesn’t care”/”He did the same stuff at USC, he’ll never change” garbage by saying that this kid made a big mistake no question about it. But he manned up, accepted responsibilityand put his nose to the grindstone to change his rep. This is out of the ordinary in the world of pro athletes, so, moronic decisions a few months ago not-withstanding, way to be Rey, keep working at getting yourself right, we need you this fall.

5. hnirobert says: Mar 29, 2010 2:01 PM

Did they have a celebratory toast?

6. JPeezy says: Mar 29, 2010 2:10 PM

Everybody knew he had alcohol problems before the draft, only the Bengals would take a chance on him…

7. LionsFan-StopLaughing says: Mar 29, 2010 2:11 PM

Hey Rey, no more glug glug, vroom vroom, K?

8. superspanky36 says: Mar 29, 2010 2:12 PM

LOL…stop giving booze to underage girls? At least when Rey did it he got in a car and drove around with them, and didn’t try to beat her into submission like a certain Steeler. Why is it when Ben does it, its the bars fault for serving the underage girl, but when its a Bengal it is completely his fault and he is a douchebag?

9. Gaiterdan65 says: Mar 29, 2010 2:16 PM

Rare that you see a guy in the NFL say he was wrong and he is sorry. Though I think that a drug treatment centre might be a little overkill for a DUI (Americans, you guys are so overmedicated and over-analyzed), but it’s good to see what looks like a genuine effort to change.
    I remeber watching NFL films stuff of the Bengals this year, and I liked this kids demenor during games with his teammates. Hopefully his game keeps improving.

10. Gautam says: Mar 29, 2010 2:26 PM

My only point is that it is easier to say sorry than prove that you are sorry about it.

11. theroc5156 says: Mar 29, 2010 2:30 PM

Yeah JPeezy. He would have definitely went undrafted had the Bengals not picked him.
    You’re an idiot. You think Ben and Santonio will share the same cell?

12. The Real Shuxion says: Mar 29, 2010 2:34 PM

hnirobert says:
    March 29, 2010 2:01 PM
    Did they have a celebratory toast?
    ————————————————-
    To sobriety…….

13. ilivincin97 says: Mar 29, 2010 2:38 PM

JPeezy says:
    March 29, 2010 2:10 PM
    *****************************************
    Did you happen to watch college football the last three years before the Bengal’s drafted Rey? Yes, deffinitely there would have been a team in the next three picks after the Bengals to take him. He was a monster at USC and will be in the NFL shortly. I had a DUI several years ago, it’s easy to think you’re invincible when you in your 20’s and rich. People in glass houses buddy.

14. GoBrowns19 says: Mar 29, 2010 2:46 PM

Well, not a fan of the Bengals, but I know how hard it is to quit alcohol. It is definitely no joke. Good luck to him if he’s really serious about turning it around. It takes months or even years though, not weeks.

15. Snibs says: Mar 29, 2010 2:48 PM

When did we wake up and think that these kids, and thats what they are, automatically became more responsible 20 somethings because they can play football? Too much, too fast and they find trouble. Its the situation that EVERY team will find themselves in regardless of the owners or the sport. It is more a question of the downfall of our society then it is the individual.

16. Cincinnasty says: Mar 29, 2010 2:49 PM

“I just hope the city of Cincinnati and all my fans will accept my apology and help me through all this and help me move forward.”
    Apology accepted… Now we just need a pro-bowl year out of you next year bud..

17. Cereal Blogger says: Mar 29, 2010 2:54 PM

This guy has shown questionable character for awhile. Its exactly why StL picked Laurinitis over him in Rnd 2 last year. I hope he turns it around, I think he has good intentions. Unlike the whole Steelers org.

18. The Real Shuxion says: Mar 29, 2010 3:02 PM

JPeezy says:
    March 29, 2010 2:10 PM
    ————————————————-
    If he were to bar hop with women and get himself in situations where he could possibly sexually assualt women then the Steelers would have picked him with their first rounder.

19. GoBrowns19 says: Mar 29, 2010 3:13 PM

LionsFan-StopLaughing says:
    March 29, 2010 2:11 PM
    Hey Rey, no more glug glug, vroom vroom, K?
    —————————————-
    Haha, I like your name.

20. stevincinci says: Mar 29, 2010 3:14 PM

Pro Bowl season coming up. All three USC backers from last year will be there. Rey, Clay, and Brian.

21. bluelion says: Mar 29, 2010 3:19 PM

Kids these days.
    Guess he now understands why he dropped out of the first round… a little humility goes a long way.
    Good luck to him, and hope he keeps his nose clean.

22. Humboldt420 says: Mar 29, 2010 3:29 PM

# stevincinci says: March 29, 2010 3:14 PM
    —————————————————
    I would agree with you, however, Rey must improve his coverage skills on passing downs. Was at the Raiders/Bengals game last season and for the majority of the second half, Rey was on the sidelines watching as the Raiders went pass happy.
    He comes off on third downs because he simply isn’t fast enough to keep up with tight ends, receivers and running backs on passing downs.
    Rey was a stud at USC, no doubt about it. Tackles well and has good pursuit skills. But there was a weakness in him I noticed dating all the way back to his senior year at Eureka High School.
    He has trouble covering running backs out of the backfield.
    It happened to him at USC too. Fullbacks beat him out of the backfield for big gains and even scores at one point.
    If Rey would put as much focus on agility and pass coverage practice that he apparently has with “having a good time” he’d be right up there with Matthews and Cushing.

23. TheToolofTools says: Mar 29, 2010 3:46 PM

the fact he pleaded guilty and got into rehab speaks volumes.

24. SamWycheForPrez says: Mar 29, 2010 5:03 PM

Don’t be too hard on JPeezy. He doesn’t know what to do now that his Steelers are the poster boys for sleaze in the league.
    Besides, he can’t help taking a cheap shot… he’s a Steelers fan. Like Hines, like son.