Bryant has so-so workout

Maybe you can scratch Dez Bryant off the Raiders’ wish list after all.

Bryant ran the forty in 4.52, 4.68, and 4.52, according to NFL.com.  Bryant was asked to run a third time because of the discrepancy in the times.  He jumped 38 inches on his vertical leap and jumped over eleven feet on his broad jump, which is a huge number.

He wasn’t able to finish the three-cone drill and short shuttle, which perhaps indicates a lack of work preparing for the pro day.  His hands reportedly looked good.

Mike Mayock said he was surprised by the slow forty times.  He appears to play faster on tape.

The problem for Bryant is that Adam Schefter tweeted that Bryant ran a 4.32 last week, creating high expectations.  Larry Fitzgerald ran a similar time a few years ago, but didn’t have the same off-field concerns.

Mayock said “more questions than answers” came out of the workout.

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
39 Responses to “Bryant has so-so workout”
  1. Big Stretch says: Mar 30, 2010 2:11 PM

Perhaps Bryant is smarter than I thought. Running a relatively slow 40 time virtually guarantees that he won’t get stuck wearing silver and black.

2. kidwithhelmet says: Mar 30, 2010 2:16 PM

Doubt this will do much to fluctuate his current position on teams draft boards. He wasn’t a burner anyways, these 40′s are more than fast enough.
    A little concerning he wasn’t able to finish some drills though…

3. Darth Vader says: Mar 30, 2010 2:17 PM

Good he should fall to the Ravens then.

4. jb1996 says: Mar 30, 2010 2:17 PM

the slow 40 times show that the injury that kept him out of the combine is still bothering him but if u can remember anquan boldin ran a pretty bad 40 still had a great career in nfl he will be fine on the field

5. Dustin Chandler says: Mar 30, 2010 2:18 PM

we all know how accurate those NFL 40 times can be…
    -Taylor Mays

6. RaiderRedleg says: Mar 30, 2010 2:20 PM

He went from a top ten pick to mid to late first rounder with that 40 time.
    If the Broncos or Dolphins don’t take him he might indeed fall all the way down to Dallas.

7. Playoffs?! says: Mar 30, 2010 2:21 PM

He’s still the best receiver in the draft. What matters is when he straps it up on Sundays and runs by defensive backs for TDs…Like Gayock said, he plays faster on tape

8. Bucket says: Mar 30, 2010 2:23 PM

I don’t remember Fitzgerald running a 4.68!
    The problem with Bryant is the 4.68 not the 4.52. He doesn’t play fast ALL the time. Seriously, if he can’t even put in full effort at his Pro day what type of professional are you getting? … Probably a guy who will run a 4.5 when he wants to and a 4.7 the rest of the time. NOT GOOD showing for a guy with so many questions. not finishing the drills – should (“should”) have just cost him millions.

9. WarrenMoonGOAT says: Mar 30, 2010 2:23 PM

F Mayock he’s not a talent evaluator, i wouldn’t even let Mayock tell me how to fold a piece of paper in half, because he would probably even get that wrong

10. LetsGoPens says: Mar 30, 2010 2:24 PM

He’s literally Antonio Bryant

11. Burritto says: Mar 30, 2010 2:26 PM

“Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 30, 2010 12:53 PM ET
    We’re still waiting to hear about Dez Bryant did at his pro day, but here’s a spoiler alert: He’s going to do great”
    Mhmm.

12. adammwilson77 says: Mar 30, 2010 2:27 PM

Seems like this guy has been pretty lazy since the end of the season. He seems like a bit of a head case. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in Jacksonville.

13. beer_beer_beer_beer says: Mar 30, 2010 2:28 PM

Dez Bryant to the Bengals

14. JollyRoger says: Mar 30, 2010 2:28 PM

With the 54th pick in the 2010 NFL draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select….

15. mjohnson062 says: Mar 30, 2010 2:30 PM

Unable to finish? What the HELL does that mean? Did he fall down and hurt himself, or did he not understand how to complete the drill? I think either is horrifying.

16. as260191 says: Mar 30, 2010 2:31 PM

A slow 40 never harmed Jerry Rice’s career.
    Not saying he’s going to be the next Rice, but he does have some talent.

17. Jackson says: Mar 30, 2010 2:36 PM

WAY too much emphasis is placed on 40 times. Dez Bryant has talent.

18. adammwilson77 says: Mar 30, 2010 2:38 PM

He does play pretty fast on tape. If you guys are going to diss mayock at least watch the guy on film.

19. Tony DeHoff says: Mar 30, 2010 2:40 PM

Not worried about the 40 times. I would only be concerned with the being late to games and missing practice. If true then he could be PacMan part 2. If not then he is the best WR in this draft. If I’m a GM I take Tate over Bryant though.

20. BearsFootball847 says: Mar 30, 2010 2:41 PM

Dez needs to get into better shape. He wasn’t practicing with a team for the majority of season. He looks like a beast but he need to get into better football shape. Look for this kid to make a big impact in the next few years unless he gets drafted by the Raiders…..

21. Cameltoecleavage says: Mar 30, 2010 2:45 PM

I pray to god he doesn’t fall to the ravens I don’t want some lazy ass kid who can’t seperate from coverage and has a bigger entourage and diva attitude then patty labelle Gettin drafted by my team

22. KingOkra says: Mar 30, 2010 2:46 PM

Can you say, “overrated”? JaMarcus Russell version 2.0. I really hope the Cowboys draft him.

23. SSFDballer says: Mar 30, 2010 2:52 PM

Dolphins just crossed him off #12 pick
    CJ Spiller!!

24. Jack Burton says: Mar 30, 2010 2:55 PM

Jerry rigged the 40 time to get another oxygen thief WR.

25. RavensFreak00 says: Mar 30, 2010 3:05 PM

@Darth Vader Exactly!!
    Hopefully, he does slip to the Ravens. That would be nice.

26. overkil2 says: Mar 30, 2010 3:06 PM

“WarrenMoonGOAT says:
    March 30, 2010 2:23 PM

You sir are an idiot.
    Mayock is one of the few people who does these player evaluations who actually played in the NFL and college so he knows first hand what it takes to succeed there. He also looks at countless hours of tapes, goes to most pro day workouts and goes to the combine.
    He may not get every pick right, but in the past few years he has hit on more picks than McShay and Kiper combined.

27. jwill007 says: Mar 30, 2010 3:08 PM

Either he is still hurt or lazy but he is talented….I like what I see on tape but dont like everything not on tape….I wouldnt mind him but also would hate if he goes to Bmore and becomes TO 2.0….Gonna be an interesting draft……

28. Justin says: Mar 30, 2010 3:14 PM

I love how PFT readers throw out blanket statements like Mayock has been right about more picks than Kiper and McShay combined. Care to prove that? Oh, you probably can’t so, please, do us all a favor and quit saying dumb sh-stuff.
    Raiders don’t need a WR so I don’t see why he would even be on their radar unless it’s for trading purposes.

29. favrecansuckit says: Mar 30, 2010 3:17 PM

Rashaun Woods 2.0??

30. kennethnoisewater says: Mar 30, 2010 3:22 PM

Dez Bryant is the smoke monster

31. Slow Joe says: Mar 30, 2010 3:25 PM

2nd round pick for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

32. Big Stretch says: Mar 30, 2010 3:44 PM

@# Justin says: March 30, 2010 3:14 PM
    ——————————————————
    anyone who runs in the 4.3-4 range is on Al Davis’ radar. The man is crazy.

33. overkil2 says: Mar 30, 2010 3:45 PM

“Justin says:
    March 30, 2010 3:14 PM

What’s the matter, did I insult your girlfriend.
    How about this, care to disprove it? Show me in the 2009 draft where Mcshay and Kiper did better than Mayock.

34. overkil2 says: Mar 30, 2010 3:53 PM

Here you go.
    1. Mike Mayock, NFL Network: 10/32
    2. Mel Kiper, ESPN: 8.5/32
    2. The Big Lead: 8.5/32
    2. National Football Post: 8.5/32
    5. Rick Gosselin, Dallas Morning News: 8/32
    6. Don Banks, Sports Illustrated: 7/32
    6. San Diego Union-Tribune: 7/32
    6. Shawn Zobel, DraftHeadquarters.com: 7/32
    9. Todd McShay: 6/32
    10. Peter King, Sports Illustrated: 5.5/32
    Ok, so he didn’t beat them combined. I was trying to make a point that he is the best in the business right now. For someone to go around saying that Mayock never gets anything right shows their bias or ignorance, or both.

35. WarrenMoonGOAT says: Mar 30, 2010 4:36 PM

we don’t believe u florio

36. anjelmanning says: Mar 30, 2010 5:17 PM

Rashaun Woods 2.0? You kidding me? At least compare him to someone of his stature.

37. Justin says: Mar 30, 2010 6:59 PM

overkil2, you made a blanket statement, looked it up, and only accomplished proving yourself wrong. I’m sure this wasn’t the first time either.
    Also, please, point me to where I said Mayock never gets anything right. You can’t do that either.
    Just quit while you’re still behind, you’re only embarrassing yourself.
    Also, asking me to disprove it, then only waiting 8 minutes before your next post is just stupid considering this website requires review of our posts before they are submitted and displayed.

38. overkil2 says: Mar 31, 2010 11:23 AM

Justin,
    Actually when I said, “For someone to go around saying that Mayock never gets anything right shows their bias or ignorance, or both.

I was not referring to you, I was referring to WarrenMoonGoat who inferred that Mayock couldn’t get anything right.
    I didn’t wait for your reply when I looked it up. I did it because I wanted to see exact numbers. While my statement was a bit of an exaggeration, Mayock is still the best of the bunch.

39. overkil2 says: Mar 31, 2010 2:11 PM

To further beat a dead horse.