Leinart vows to show leadership at voluntary workouts

When Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt benched Matt Leinart in 2007 and gave the starting quarterback job to Kurt Warner, the primary reason was that Warner was a better passer than Leinart.

But another important aspect of it was that Warner was also a better leader than Leinart.

Now that Warner is retired and the job is Leinart’s again, Leinart is vowing to show he’s a leader, starting with the team’s voluntary workouts, which began on Monday.

“Just to show that I’m ready to be a leader, guys can count on me,” Leinart said of his attendance at voluntary workouts. “I’m going to step into the role where I’m going to hold guys accountable, as well. They need to know that I’m going to be out here working and expect them to do the same, which they are. A lot of eyes are on me. I get that.”

As Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic notes, Warner isn’t the only team leader who won’t be back in 2010. Antrel Rolle, Karlos Dansby, Anquan Boldin and Bertrand Berry were all important parts of the team that won the NFC West the last two seasons, and none of them are with the team anymore.

With all those losses, Leinart knows the team has an uphill battle if it wants to return to the playoffs.

“It officially starts today,” Leinart said at the first workout. “The season doesn’t begin in August; it begins in March and April.”

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
20 Responses to “Leinart vows to show leadership at voluntary workouts”
  1. City_Native says: Mar 30, 2010 10:44 AM

Matt’s just going to show up and be a leader. I believe it.
    Go Niners!

2. AllThat says: Mar 30, 2010 10:45 AM

Can he show leadership while he is on his ass this season. 7-9 maybe…..

3. anjelmanning says: Mar 30, 2010 10:46 AM

All the reader’s who read stories and say “SLOW DAY HUH FLORIO?” are retarded. FYI. Go to espn if you want the same BS stories over and over again.

4. City_Native says: Mar 30, 2010 10:48 AM

After following a man of faith who has been to 3 Super Bowls, the Cardinals are just going to magically start following the guy who made super bonus money while holding a clipboard, hasnt done anything, and would rather spend his time in the hot tub? Sounds good to me.
    Go Niners!

5. CanadianVikingFan says: Mar 30, 2010 10:48 AM

Leading the group in warm-up stretching doesn’t count..

6. VaSteel says: Mar 30, 2010 11:00 AM

It will be a long time before this loser franchise finishes as high as 7-9, even in the NFC West!

7. Rick says: Mar 30, 2010 11:01 AM

someone explain to me why they aren’t trying to trade for Mcnabb? He has got to be better than any second round pick they would have to give up and is definately better than Leinart or Anderson.

8. Joel_mac5 says: Mar 30, 2010 11:02 AM

Draft a QB, AZ, or trade for McNabb.

9. racer-x says: Mar 30, 2010 11:05 AM

You don’t just step into a leadership role. If he’d been leading by example the past three years, this might fly.

10. Jack Burton says: Mar 30, 2010 11:05 AM

Who’s he leading after the mass exodus?

11. WarrenMoonGOAT says: Mar 30, 2010 11:12 AM

sounds like he is flustered with the pressure and expectations

12. KingJoe! says: Mar 30, 2010 11:36 AM

“ok boys listen to me carefully I have two rules, first no glass in the hottub and second no cameras. Listen to my leadership and we will all have a healthy and successful offseason … drink drink drink.” said Mr Lienart as the Bidwells finally make the right decision and trade for McNabb.

13. FreeAgentPro says: Mar 30, 2010 11:36 AM

It looks like the CArdinals have turned into the same ol’ Bidwell Cheapskates again. In the uncapped year, it’s surprising that the FO just voluntarily seemed to dismantle the team. NOW the media is playing it as if the heart and soul of the team deoarted, while at the time they were free agents, it was implied that they were overrated. Pete CArroll has to be delighted that the Cardinals demise coincided with his Seattle arrival.

14. John_Claytons_Football_Career says: Mar 30, 2010 11:40 AM

I see all the 49er fans bashing Leinart for collecting the big paycheck and then riding pine, how hypocritical considering the amount of money Alex Smith made getting polishing pine with his ass. I wonder how it feels when a journeyman QB by the name of SHAUN HILL surpasses your #1 overall draft pick QB on the depth chart? That’s downright embarassing. The guy can’t even take a snap from under center.

15. Snibs says: Mar 30, 2010 11:46 AM

Florio… I tell you when the articles are terrible, however, this is actually well done! Balanced and informative.

16. 1usctrojan says: Mar 30, 2010 11:53 AM

…while Leinart was benched for a sure HOFer with one of the greatest come back stories in the NFL Coach Whisenhunt has said repeatedly that the QB competition in 2008 was very close between Warner and Leinart. Read it and cry you whiny little b…….

17. Kevin from Philly says: Mar 30, 2010 2:35 PM

OK guys, follow me!! Guys? I’m over here leading. Guys?

18. funi says: Mar 30, 2010 3:36 PM

If you do nto say you are going to be the leader. Andersen gets the job! Nice word USC player!

19. comment_submission_error says: Mar 30, 2010 8:15 PM

Lienart showed his leadership skills in the preseason a couple of years ago when the Raiders-of all teams-turned him into a puddle of shit. Arizona better play some good defense this year.

20. jordanv says: Mar 30, 2010 10:35 PM

Well Warner wasn’t the great guy everyone thought he was either. Remember a few years ago when Josh McCown was there and Warner got ? It was against the niners, anyway McCown had the game of his career, and Warner was pissy about it on the sideline! Warner is known to be a pompous ass in some circles!!