Redskins will work out Clausen

The Washington Redskins will take a close look at Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen one week before the first round of the NFL draft.

Jason Reid of the Washington Post reports that the Redskins will conduct a private workout with Clausen in South Bend on Thursday, April 15. The first round of the draft is on Thursday, April 22, and the Redskins own the fourth overall pick.

The Redskins are widely believed to have an eye on Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford, but Bradford likely won’t be available with the fourth pick. Clausen probably will be.

One person who would certainly give the Redskins a favorable review of Clausen is former Redskins Executive VP of Football Operations Vinny Cerrato, who has staunchly defended Clausen and gone on the record as saying those who question Clausen’s leadership and maturity — including ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay — are misguided.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
28 Responses to “Redskins will work out Clausen”
  1. JaggedMark says: Mar 30, 2010 6:42 PM

I’m a Michigan fan, and I can’t stand Notre Dame. Hate ‘em.
    But I have to admit, I thought Clausen played like a warrior every single game last year. That team had zero defense, and he kept them in every game, and fought back for a lot of wins.
    Guess I don’t see the issue.

2. Butt Plug says: Mar 30, 2010 6:44 PM

This pick has Shannahan all over it. I don’t see the Redskins passing him up.

3. Volskins says: Mar 30, 2010 6:45 PM

GROUNDBREAKING!

4. ytrain says: Mar 30, 2010 6:45 PM

Hey Shanny/Allen: JUST SAY NO to Jimmy Clausen

5. SnydersLapDog says: Mar 30, 2010 7:00 PM

Oh for the love of Pete…
    TRADE DOWN ! TRADE DOWN !

6. branchbranch says: Mar 30, 2010 7:16 PM

Cerrato defends him? Seriously? Redskins officially should have no interest. Hasn’t he torchered us Skins fan enough? Worst VP of operations (aka GM) ever.

7. GaryClark says: Mar 30, 2010 7:23 PM

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? THIS KID SUCKS!
    What an endorsement! Vinnie Cerrato????!!??!?! WOW! If we take him, here I come BUCS!

8. Deadskinsfan says: Mar 30, 2010 7:37 PM

We may be able to trade down if Clausen falls to #4, which he almost certainly will.
    But why not take him? We’re not going to the playoffs until we find ourselves an elite QB, and the silver lining to a 4-12 season is that we now have the chance to draft such a QB. Clausen is no sure thing, but neither is Bradford or any other player for that matter.
    I couldn’t care less what Cerrato thinks, and I’m sure Shanahan and everyone else with a high-paying gig in the NFL feels the same way. So let’s not worry about what bug eyes has to say, and trust the man in charge.

9. MagicMan407 says: Mar 30, 2010 7:42 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

10. SterilizeTHenry says: Mar 30, 2010 7:43 PM

Agree with JaggedMark.
    Clausen is a better prospect than Bradford. I’ve been saying it all along. But the Rams want to go with a weaker-armed, injury-prone, quarterback who has never played in a pro-style offense and has yet to prove he can take snaps from under center and read defenses while dropping back.
    But, he can complete 49 of 50 passes against no defense and Spagnola is thrilled that he “looks” like a quarterback when he walks into a room.

11. GaryClark says: Mar 30, 2010 7:45 PM

@JaggedMark–You are clearly a Cowboys fan trying to trick us Skins fans…This kid BLOWS! Not an NFL QB.
    For the love of god, do not take JC..He has the same initials as our current QB and look how that has worked. What about Sam Bradford…Sounds like Sammy Baugh…SB=NICE!

12. HAILSKINS says: Mar 30, 2010 7:58 PM

Cerrato likes him? Isnt this the same guy who liked the script to Kindergarten Ninja enough to “act ” in it?

13. downwithdansnyder says: Mar 30, 2010 8:01 PM

Yeh, and the Skins has SO much luck listening to Vinny in the past. Geezus, they fire hime, again, and still can’t get away from this guy.

14. Tre-nitty says: Mar 30, 2010 8:28 PM

Hey sterilizethenry, stop making stuff up. Bradford played under center about 50/50 in his heisman winning year, check the tape, which i doubt you have. Also he proved yesterday, his arm strength is more than capable and his accuracy trumps clausens everyday of the week but clausen will be good too. Stop hating, u know u would take bradford over clausen.

15. diehardskinsfan says: Mar 30, 2010 9:12 PM

You all are wrong! Don’t take either qb, Take Okung and get our O-line set before you get the qb. Does anyone remember david carr or patrick ramsey? Decent qbs with no lines got beat to shit and sucked ever since. Start with the o-line!

16. GaryClark says: Mar 30, 2010 9:39 PM

@ DIEHARD
    Not sure we can compare Ramsey and Bradford.
    I went to Tulane and Ramsey always blew and conf USA plays NO ONE.
    If he is available (SB) then it would be insane not to take him. Clausen can suck it. He is a punk bitch brat.

17. sethb22 says: Mar 30, 2010 9:47 PM

Tre-Nitty,
    He threw only 3 TD’s out of the 48 from under center. look at the tape 4 real don’t just make shit up. While your looking at the tape, notice he looks over a his coach for the play then looks back again for who to throw to. then hikes the ball immidiately and throws a 5 yard pass to the open guy. More so, look how many plays his receivers made off of screens and dink and dunk shit.. look at the tape.

18. Volskins says: Mar 30, 2010 10:16 PM

I agree with building the o-line….Are you telling me there will not be a Sam Bradford or Jimmie Clausen nextyear? Ride Campbell another year

19. ceetown22 says: Mar 30, 2010 10:21 PM

I say Okung if he gets past the Lions… OLINE – we haven’t drafted 1st round lineman since 99… 11 years… first round QB? 05 (and still on team) hmmmm… I will support Allen Shanny Danny trifecta of power… I so wanna write “for now” or “until it fails” but I just can’t do it…. it would seem like that’s what I expect or something… hahaha, but seriously I think LT is the way to go in the 1st round and I say go OLINE again in the 2nd round… but I’d like to believe the “trifecta” knows better than I and will make the best decision available for the team.
    HAIL SKINS!

20. ceetown22 says: Mar 30, 2010 10:23 PM

HAIL SKINS!

21. mcgr8569 says: Mar 30, 2010 10:34 PM

Hahahahahaha ride Campbell. But honestly, Volskins may have a point. Campbell is a pocket passer and wasn’t ever able to throw out of a pocket last year because his O-line sucked.
    I think Bradford is better than Clausen, but I’m not enamored with either of them. In fact, I don’t think that either one of them is a pro-bowl caliber QB at the next level.
    Draft smart, draft O-line. Or, what if Eric Berry falls here. Too soon to replace Taylor and have the best Safety tandem in the league again?

22. MagicMan407 says: Mar 30, 2010 10:47 PM

Bradford- Rams
    Okung- Lions
    McCoy- Bucs
    Who do you think the Redskins should take? I would pick Eric Berry or Suh over Clausen.

23. Highway703 says: Mar 31, 2010 12:29 AM

Get a damn OL man… Don’t get a QB..

24. the_hook says: Mar 31, 2010 6:14 AM

GaryClark – I have to agree with those who say Clausen is a bonafide NFL talent. The issue with him is his off-field issues. He got in a fight in a local pub after one game. And I hear he acts like a prima-donna at times, especially early in his career. But he has matured alot. He could end up the best QB of this year’s class. Bradford, before emerging from his cocoon with 20 extra lbs., was a stick-man china-doll. His shoulder is still high-risk. Wait til he gets crushed, and then we’ll find out just how much his shoulder has healed. Clausen is the safer pick.

25. We need linemen says: Mar 31, 2010 6:37 AM

Okung looks likely to be gone by the time the Redskins pick.
    So it’s likely to be a choice between the rest of the OTs, Clausen, Berry, McCoy or Suh, or trading down.
    Ideologically, it should be the best OT available, the LT position is too important to leave it as it is, but Berry, McCoy and Suh are potentially elite, game changing talents. They may play less “important” positions but there skill levels create their own value.
    The OT class looks solid but none of them look likely to be one of the very best in the league. Okung looks pretty decent value at 4 but I am not sure about the rest.
    So, if Okung has gone, I’d pick Berry. If you can’t be sure of upgrading your own quaterback, I’d go for the player who generates interceptions. Berry will make every opposing quarterback that little bit worse.
    I wouldn’t have a problem with Clausen being picked. If the Shanahan’s think he is worth it he probably is. All the tape I’ve seen of him looks pretty good. I think he has just got an unfortunate face. One that people just can’t help but yearn to punch.

26. Deadskinsfan says: Mar 31, 2010 9:09 AM

I can’t believe there are Redskins fan lobbying for drafting yet another safety in the top 10. We’ve already made that mistake twice in the last six years, haven’t we?

27. jhcarson says: Mar 31, 2010 10:16 AM

@Deadskinsfan: Mistakes? I don’t think anyone but you would call Sean Taylor a poor pick. The guy was an animal in the secondary and poised to become one of the greats at his position. Unless you are saying the front office should have known he was going to be murdered…
    As for Landry, it’s probably too early to call him a bust. He had a couple pretty good seasons before taking a step back last year while playing out of position. Get him closer to the line and reduce his coverage responsibilties and I think you’ve got a guy who could make a couple of Pro-Bowls.
    But I DO agree that if there are better options then Berry at #4 then he isn’t the best pick. Not that he’s not a great prospect – he is – but let’s face it, the Skins have bigger needs to fill. I’d be OK with Bradford if he fell to us but that’s not going to happen and we shouldn’t mortgage the future for him. We’ve disrespected our draft picks too much in the past to give up a bunch more to move up three spots. I’m all over Okung if he’s there but what if the Lions take him? Then what? I’d be fine with grabbing Suh, who many consider to be the best player in this draft, and plugging him in at DE (he and Fat Albert maning the ends would make for a fierce D-line!) but I think he goes #3. So we’re left with choosing between Clausen (ugh), McCoy (potentially not a good fit in a 3-4 D), Berry, reaching for the 2nd best LT, or trading down. Trading down would be great, but probably difficult to find a partner. So between those other players, Berry might look like the best option based on talent…That’s how we wind up with him. Picking him improves both safety positions: he increase’s Landry’s value because he slides over to his natural position and he brings his own playmaking ability to our secondary where he’s a clear upgrade over a guy like Horton.

28. DCall says: Mar 31, 2010 10:26 AM

@ Deadskinsfan
    Mistake drafting a safety twice in the last six years? Ummm, Sean Taylor was NO MISTAKE. If he was still around Landry would still be at his original position!