Bernard Hopkins continues his anti-McNabb campaign

We’ve noted a few times that boxer Bernard Hopkins loves nothing more than to bash Donovan McNabb. In 2008, Hopkins (who’s from Philadelphia and is a big Eagles fan) said McNabb doesn’t have the stomach to compete at the highest levels. In 2009, Hopkins called McNabb a “lapdog” and a “frontrunner” and later got cozy with Michael Vick.

Now that McNabb appears to be on the way out of Philadelphia, Hopkins is stepping up his criticism.

On Wednesday Hopkins promoted this weekend’s fight with Roy Jones Jr. by participating in a live chat with FanHouse readers (moderated by me), and he made it clear that he has even more disdain for McNabb than he does for Jones.

“After my victory Saturday night I’m going to have a big party where we celebrate sending McNabb where ever he goes,” Hopkins said. “The Eagles have a chance to get to a Super Bowl and a change is well overdue.”

Hopkins believes that McNabb has spent the last few years trying to
prove he can be a pocket passer and neglecting his gifts as a runner,
and as a result can never lead the Eagles to a championship.

“McNabb was a running quarterback early in his career with the
Eagles but he changed,” Hopkins said. “Somebody suggested that he
should stay in the pocket. And I’m like, McNabb, don’t be an idiot. God
gave you the ability — take advantage of that.”

Hopkins said he likes Vick and would love to see him start, but he’d also prefer Kevin Kolb to McNabb.

“I think the starter should be Michael Vick and the backup should be Kevin Kolb but I think both guys should get a chance and Vick might still need some time to get comfortable,” Hopkins said. “I’d actually like to see them mix both guys up. I think either one, both having different styles, can be successful.”

Hopkins will be happy with just about anyone other than McNabb under center for the Eagles.

Permalink 119 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
119 Responses to “Bernard Hopkins continues his anti-McNabb campaign”
  1. stevemcguigan says: Mar 31, 2010 6:29 PM

Bernard Hopkins’ opinion about anything football related matters about as much as Kendra Baskett’s.

2. litemater says: Mar 31, 2010 6:30 PM

Yet BERNERD HOPKINS is not NFL related. My priest makes predictions & such, yet he does not make this TMZ Blog.

3. PatricktheDookie says: Mar 31, 2010 6:30 PM

Remind me: Why does this guy’s opinion matter?

4. yoko166 says: Mar 31, 2010 6:32 PM

executioner is the man

5. Jaso says: Mar 31, 2010 6:32 PM

One of many reasons Hopkins is a boxer and not an NFL head coach

6. efyouseekay says: Mar 31, 2010 6:33 PM

And why would we care what a Boxer has to say just wait till Saturday nights party when Hopkins is in the hospital (party on the forth floor family only)

7. december says: Mar 31, 2010 6:34 PM

Who is this hopkins? What’s his relevence to football? And why should I care?

8. geek says: Mar 31, 2010 6:35 PM

So, being a boxer makes you an expert on football, and gives you a voice to be heard no matter what you say?! This guy is an idiot, and I don’t care what he says. I know more about football than this guy appears to know. If I voiced my opinion like he did, and you quoted me, people would rightfully question your judgment to waste their time with my quotations. So why do we have to listen to this idiot?

9. Wetferret says: Mar 31, 2010 6:36 PM

My mailman doesn’t like McNabb either. Why don’t you ask him and maybe even a few other igsignificant rectum plugs their opinions?

10. kcrockett1 says: Mar 31, 2010 6:36 PM

What a doucher, anybody who would suggest that Michael Vick could be a starter knows nothing about the game, obvious that this old man has very little executive function in his frontal lobes left

11. wryly1 says: Mar 31, 2010 6:37 PM

Hopkins – after your fight, you’ll be on a gurney getting your ego iced down.

12. Count Sacula says: Mar 31, 2010 6:39 PM

Exactly Bernard.
    Many do not realize that he ran the “Option” at Syracuse. This means he ran the ball often. To be a good West Coast offense quarterback, you have to be an accurate passer – something McNabb never was. His refusal to run the ball when necessary has hindered him and the team. This was apparent, and most obvious, against the Cowgirls in the playoffs this year. There were at least three occasions where he could have ran the ball for the first down and instead threw an innacurate ball or threw it short of the first down.
    Good riddance McNabb.

13. gmoney says: Mar 31, 2010 6:39 PM

Michael Vick as a starter? maybe Roy Jones can beat some sense into this guy

14. WCRaider says: Mar 31, 2010 6:40 PM

As a Raiders fan, tough to guess that one, I will gladly give him the 39th pick for McNabb. Philly won’t win a superbowl this year or next without him.

15. kcrockett1 says: Mar 31, 2010 6:40 PM

I didn’t even know that Bernard Hopkins was still alive, or Roy Jones Jr. for that matter, or that boxing still exists………….

16. Ravensatron says: Mar 31, 2010 6:40 PM

A couple of things
    Who cares what Bernard Hopkins says
    Why on earth should Vick be the starter?!?! He’s lucky he’s even in the NFL at the moment, I honestly don’t think he could start for any team, let alone Philly.

17. pghguyy33 says: Mar 31, 2010 6:41 PM

obviously hopkins should stick to boxing as he knows nuthing about football

18. karmathaitch says: Mar 31, 2010 6:42 PM

Bout freaking time someone in Philly finally stepped up to the plate!! 2008 against the Cardinals, and 2005 i believe when TO was there, and he went limp. Hes a guy that wont take any team to the promise land cuz he hasnt the gut for the big stage.
    Philly should of had 2 rings since he came on board…

19. TheWontonMan says: Mar 31, 2010 6:42 PM

And I wonder why he thinks vick should start over kolb? Shocking

20. swannyrivers says: Mar 31, 2010 6:44 PM

Bernard still boxes?!!!!

21. papimp911 says: Mar 31, 2010 6:44 PM

(Yawn). Notice that McNabb never lowers himself to Hopkins, who has approximately 9 brain cells.

22. gameunleashed says: Mar 31, 2010 6:45 PM

I hate to say it… cause i like mcnabb… but he’s right.
    If he had kept the running in his game(instead of trying to prove himself) the eagles would’ve won a SB by now.

23. EAGLES ALL DAY says: Mar 31, 2010 6:45 PM

someone has got hit in the head one to many times…i bet mcnabb would beat this dudes @ss!

24. jibfest says: Mar 31, 2010 6:46 PM

Black on Black crime!

25. the Shoeman says: Mar 31, 2010 6:46 PM

thank you Florio, . . . . another non-story about McNabb.

26. the big bronco says: Mar 31, 2010 6:47 PM

yes, and I for one think that, that fat lap dog should go straight to Oakland, where two fat lap dogs can lick each others ass..

27. j-daddy says: Mar 31, 2010 6:49 PM

Well I’ll guess I’ll be rooting for Roy Jones Jr this saturday night because Hopkins is obviously an idiot. “I think the starter should be Michael Vick,” whatever. You want to get rid of McNabb that’s fine, but you only do that if you think Kolb is ready.

28. prinzcharlez says: Mar 31, 2010 6:49 PM

Are you kidding me right now ? Stick to throwing jabs in the ring Mr. Hopkins. When McNabb leaves you’re going to want him back the man has done nothing but be a top tier OB in the last 5 yrs and you’re telling me right now at this moment you want him gone ? You’ve been hit too many by Roy Jones Jr.

29. Coletrain says: Mar 31, 2010 6:50 PM

Really? You mean to tell me that BH loves NOTHING more than bashing McNabb? I didn’t know he loved bashing DM more than making millions of dollars boxing, or sex, or…you get the point. This is an idiotic statement.

30. SuperNintendoChalmers says: Mar 31, 2010 6:50 PM

In other news, Bernard Hopkins is also a douche.

31. nyjshane88 says: Mar 31, 2010 6:50 PM

Why does it seem like Philly hates McNabb so much? Seriously he’s been one of the better QBs in the league for a long time, yet every year there’s trade rumors and fans talkin junk constantly lol.
    Eagle Fans: Do you really hate this guy or is it just a few people makin all the noise?

32. GurpBadesha says: Mar 31, 2010 6:51 PM

very slow news day

33. Reginald says: Mar 31, 2010 6:51 PM

Michael Vick over Kevin Kolb and Dmac? Give me a break. Parents, before letting your kids get into boxing let this be a warning of what happens after taking numerous blows to the head.

34. Hordak says: Mar 31, 2010 6:52 PM

Hopkins is, and has always been, an idiot. His opinion is worthless.
    BTW, I don’t say this as a McNabb apologist. As a Dallas fan, I only want what’s worst for the eagles.

35. anjelmanning says: Mar 31, 2010 6:53 PM

Well he’s right about McNAHHH-Donovan’s choking!!!

36. WildBirdOffense says: Mar 31, 2010 6:55 PM

I agree with Hopkins. F McNabb.

37. Chapnasty2 says: Mar 31, 2010 6:58 PM

“I think the starter should be Michael Vick”
    Hey Bernie, you just lost all credibilty when you said that chief.

38. downwithdansnyder says: Mar 31, 2010 6:58 PM

He’s an IDIOT. Vick over McNabb? That is probably the dumbest thing I’ve heard all off-season. He should never speak about football again. It’s just that stupid.

39. zeke777 says: Mar 31, 2010 7:03 PM

“Hopkins believes that McNabb has spent the last few years trying to prove he can be a pocket passer and neglecting his gifts as a runner, and as a result can never lead the Eagles to a championship.”
    He’s right. He’s completely unqualified to voice this opinion, but he’s right. Somewhere along the way McNabb started to believe that his ability to run was a drawback. It was exactly the opposite. Being good in the pocket as well as a great runner made him much more dangerous and very difficult to defend. When he stopped running he made himself one dimensional.

40. CKL says: Mar 31, 2010 7:06 PM

Wow, he chose the only reason NOT to pick on McNabb to pick on McNabb. His high opinion of Vick puts him in the league with Jamie Dukes though..not a league you should want to be in.

41. CanadianVikingFan says: Mar 31, 2010 7:09 PM

Mike Vick and Kolb over McNabb? C’mon man! Next he is going to want Mark Chmura as his babysitter.

42. TheWizard says: Mar 31, 2010 7:11 PM

This is all very amusing, but if McNabb hadn’t become a pocket passer, he’d be out of the league by now.

43. P-way Eagles says: Mar 31, 2010 7:11 PM

Wow didnt realize how dumb Hopkins was until now…

44. ArtModellsPimp says: Mar 31, 2010 7:12 PM

To hell with this. I want more Rapistberger updates…

45. jibfest says: Mar 31, 2010 7:13 PM

nyjshane, let me enlighten you. Mcnabb is gone after this year. The eagles have made it clear by not offering to extend his contract. A great deal of Eagles fans are smart enough to realize they might as well get something for him and let Kolb start.
    We mostly love McNabb but think he has taken us as far as he could. I love how nationwide people say we hate McNabb, yet nobody is knocking the Eagles door down to get him. Explain that. Also the Eagles Front Office has made it clear he is gone after this year.

46. mrf47 says: Mar 31, 2010 7:17 PM

What an ass.

47. Bender12 says: Mar 31, 2010 7:18 PM

Bernard Hopkins is a Philly legend and if someone asks him he can say whatever he wants.
    That being said, this is all a result of Donovon not liking Hopkins as a result of his association with Hopkins victim Felix Trinidad while he was at Syracuse and Hopkins picking up on it.

48. SterilizeTHenry says: Mar 31, 2010 7:18 PM

Part of me would like to see Vick start an entire season for an NFL team just so his supporters can see just how awful a QB he really is.

49. prnandhomeless says: Mar 31, 2010 7:20 PM

@nyjshane88
    These are the general views of my fellow Philly fans:
    a) McNabb haters – “this guys sucks, get him out”
    b) McNabb apologists – “he’s never had the right team/weapons in place around him”
    c) McNabb realists – “he’s been great, but it’s over”
    I fall into the third camp – for roughly 4-5 years now. I don’t hate McNabb and frankly, he probably was the best quarterback the Eagles have ever had, but that doesn’t make him the correct answer.
    Derek Anderson had a pro-bowl season, but he clearly wasn’t the answer in Cleveland. I know it’s a bit of a false analogy to compare McNabb and Anderson, but the wrong choice is the wrong choice.
    At this point in his career, McNabb is not going to get any better as a player – he’s not going to magically restore his legs and become faster and he surely isn’t going to become more accurate. He throws too many over/under thrown balls and skipped passes for the West Coast Offense, and while he used to be able to hide that fact with his speed, he no longer can.
    The biggest issue for me is that he seems to lack the heart of a true competitor (see Brees, Brady, Manning, Rivers, etc…). If one of these players screws up a throw, you can see the anger in their faces and the determination to do better – McNabb chuckles and “air guitars” before the most important game of the season. You see Manning and Brady studying formations on the sidelines in between series – McNabb hardly does the same.
    He’s had the opportunity in 5 NFC championship games and could only win 1 – then he lost the superbowl. I know wins/losses attribute to more than a QB, but he hasn’t ever stepped up – for better or worse.
    Lastly, he’s always had a problem with Philly, so we tend to reciprocate. If you’re a Philly athlete, you’re going to be judged harshly – that’s the scenario. McNabb seems to never have gotten over the fact that he was booed on draft day. I understand how harsh it is, but when you get paid millions to play a game for a living, get some thicker skin.
    Sorry for the long, long post, but since we’re so often regarded as crass ignoramuses, I felt the need to defend the “trade McNabb” stance and those of us Philly fans who are not reactionary d-bags.

50. Crazimitch says: Mar 31, 2010 7:25 PM

51. Bruisersrevenge says: Mar 31, 2010 7:26 PM

Its the other way around, roy jones will be in the hospital. Oo yeah vick is a bum and has no chance to start over kolb or mcnabb. EVER

52. Allboutphilly says: Mar 31, 2010 7:31 PM

Dude took too many shots to the head. Vick sucks

53. famucancer says: Mar 31, 2010 7:31 PM

Poor haters..whatever will they scream when Reid says its an open competition…holler that’s not fair? LOL

54. Mooch says: Mar 31, 2010 7:43 PM

Hopkins is a champion, a man from the streets of this city, and a winner. He has belts.
    But, as always, McNabb supporters can’t build their guy up without tearing someone else down (Hopkins, Reid, TO, etc.).
    But good point…why does this matter?
    Simple. Bernard Hopkins is 100% authentic. McNabb is seen as 0% authentic. That’s what gives his opinion on #5 some extra attention.
    Now, I will admit that Bernard is a bit too vocal in his criticism of McNabb. That has to do with a situation where Bernard believes Donovan “big timed” him and brushed him off.
    Honestly, I don’t believe Donovan would do that intentionally – he isn’t that type of guy. But that was the perception Hopkins was left with.
    That’s not an excuse, just an explanation.
    Hopkins has accomplished far more in his sport than McNabb. In 20 years, we’ll see who is remembered. Most fans I know under 30 don’t really know what Jaws did. Most under 20 don’t know what Cunningham did. In 20 years, McNabb will be just another guy who won some game and never brought it home. Sad, but true.

55. sdffa11 says: Mar 31, 2010 7:44 PM

coming from a born and raised philadelphian, hopkins is an idiot. hes taken way too many hits to the head to give sound insight on the QB situation.
    plus hes still peeved mcnabb dissed him when they first met.

56. Mooch says: Mar 31, 2010 7:48 PM

“Bernard’s still pissed about McNabb supposedly mocking Bernard’s Wonderlic score while both were at a Celebrity Gold Tournament. Bernard nailed it with an Eight! He should realize he has other issues. I guess he’s too dumb to figure that out.”
    Huh? Bernard took the wonderlic? I think McNabb got a 13, so that would surprise me that he’d mock anyone.
    Who was the Bernard from Georgia that the Birds drafted early in the Rhodes era? He was a 6’8″ monster with a taste for the pot. Got busted. Eventually washed out.
    McNabb, gone and forgotten. Hopkins, eternal. That is the best revenge, he should drop this silly verbal vendetta. It’s beneath him, he’s a champion.

57. Hauschild says: Mar 31, 2010 7:49 PM

Not that I’d put much credence in what BH has to say, but this time he’s seemingly balls-on accurate.

58. WeaponX says: Mar 31, 2010 7:57 PM

Fall back Champ! You’re the man, but 5 did a lot for this franchise, my best years as a fan! Good luck against Roy Jones Jr. Seems to be a defensive struggle, but hey maybe you can knock his ass out. I’m predicting B Hop in a decision. Not gonna pay to watch these two fight though!

59. Chapnasty2 says: Mar 31, 2010 8:00 PM

@ prnandhomeless
    that was pure genius

60. eagles_5_beast says: Mar 31, 2010 8:03 PM

Roy jones jr has to rlly beat some sense into him

61. TryTheVeal says: Mar 31, 2010 8:04 PM

Hopkins just wants a fellow inmate to get paid…..From one hood rat to another…….I got your back. Eagles fan want McNabb and his pussy attitude gone, and we don’t need B-Hop with his ghetto creed to tell us who should replace him…….

62. Mooch says: Mar 31, 2010 8:05 PM

Roy Jones sucks.

63. igglesfan31 says: Mar 31, 2010 8:06 PM

@ njshane88
    It’s just the few making most noise. There are some McNabb haters, but I’m not one of them. He’s been a very good QB for a number of years. Has he been great? no..but he has been a very productive QB in this league. I would love to win a SB with McNabb but it’s just not going to happen. Saying that, I would rather have the last 11 years with McNabb over half the QB’s in the league. For me it’s just time for a change. 11 years is long enough to be “good”. I am also well prepared for a few “not so good years”. We’ll see what happens…

64. Znarf27 says: Mar 31, 2010 8:08 PM

Bernard`s comments on how Vick should start just goes to show you how stupid getting punched in the face 150 times a day makes you!!!
    Retire ,Bernard ,before you go TOTALLY retarted!!

65. B The Philly Guy says: Mar 31, 2010 8:10 PM

LOL Hopkins thinks Vick should be the starter over McNabb or Kolb? Sounds like someone has been hit in the head way to many times. I like Vick on our team but he is in no way capable of being and NFL starter, unless its on the Raiders because my little 14 year old nephew would be an upgrade for them. Ha Al Davis would probably even sign to be the highest paid QB in the league lol. Hopkins is just punch drunk, but who knows after these statements maybe he is really a Cowboys fan because obviously with Vick he doesn’t want the team to win.

66. rockboxx67 says: Mar 31, 2010 8:12 PM

He’s a QB not a RB.
    He’s smart to stay in the pocket more.
    Less chance of injury.
    ACL in 06 when running and last year against Carolina on late hit.
    Hope he stays.
    Hopkins is a washed up bloody douche.

67. Route36West says: Mar 31, 2010 8:21 PM

I love Hopkins hes my favorite fighter but everyone in Philly knows or atleast should know that the only time he brings up Mcnabb is when he has a fight to promote.
    He knows it will get play on Philadelphia area tvs, in news papers, and on the internet. So he says a couple of things about Mcnabb just to remind everyone he has a fight coming up and to be ready to shell out $45 to pay per view.

68. Sasquash says: Mar 31, 2010 8:27 PM

The Eagles should fire Jabba the Reid and hire BHOP. The man clearly understands the game more then that nitwit, moron, dope Jabba the Reid.
    The other thing BHOP understands is heart. If McFraud had any heart he too could be called a champion just like BHOP.
    Also BHOP got robbed by the officals in both J.Taylor fights. The first fight was a joke those scorers should have been arrested on the spot.

69. Route36West says: Mar 31, 2010 8:28 PM

nyjshane88 says:
    March 31, 2010 6:50 PM
    ________________________________
    Nope the Majority of people in Philly like Mcnabb and want him to stay. The media knows drama sells so they just magnify the opinions of a couple of idiots and tell the world thats what Philly thinks of Mcnabb.
    Like I said a hundred time take the draft for example. Everytime the media brings up Mcnabb they talk about how the Eagles fans booed him on draft day. When in reality there was only about 100 Eagles fans at the draft and only about 50 of them were booing him. Take into account the million+ plus fans in the Delware New Jersey and Pennsylvania area and thats about .001% of the fans.
    Still though the media wants to make it seem like every Eagles fan was booing him when he got drafted. They do the samething now about the small percentage of fans that want him to leave.

70. BUDRT14 says: Mar 31, 2010 8:36 PM

This guy is a star in a dead sport. Boxing is done and mma has made it a distant memory!! Who gives a shit about this guys opinion? Can’t compete at the highest levels???? Drop the boxing gloves and step into the octagon you bitch!!

71. stretch523 says: Mar 31, 2010 8:50 PM

Hopkins hates Mcnabb because he didn’t kiss his butt when he visited the locker room one time. Ever since then he’s openly bashed him.
    It’s time for Mcnabb to go, but not because this clown says so. He’s too erratic for a precision/timeing passing offense and he’s had 11 yrs to get it down & can’t. He’s a mismatch for the system & since Reid isn’t going he has to.
    Vick can’t play.

72. wydok says: Mar 31, 2010 8:51 PM

I think McNabb should tell this Hopkins guy how to box.

73. Mooch says: Mar 31, 2010 9:00 PM

One man is a champion, the other a stat guy who can’t beat winning teams (when was the last time he beat a team over .500?).
    McNabb fans can’t make a case for him – all they do is tear down everyone else (BHop, the defense, OL, WR, TO, on and on).
    Because there is no case to be made for McNabb being a great QB.

74. TryTheVeal says: Mar 31, 2010 9:06 PM

Wrong Route 36 ….Totally wrong……..Yes, the majority of most Eagles fans like McNabb, sure, but the overwhelming majority want him GONE, he has been given every chance to take his game to the ultimate, and over 100 million dollars later, has failed to deliver. Look, i like Donnie, doesn’t get in any PR bullshit, seems like a fun guy to have a beer with, but as far as being a CHAMPION, he isn’t now, isn’t ever going to be, he was WELL compensated during his tenure in Philly and accomplished NOTHING….How the hell can you say the majority of Eagles fans want him here?………This has nothing to do with the media, it is what it is…….

75. zod says: Mar 31, 2010 9:25 PM

The fools do abound. Hopkins is probably the toughest SOB in the country. And he does know something about championships. So McNabb is a choker, get over it.

76. proplayer3220 says: Mar 31, 2010 9:27 PM

All those hits Bernard Hopkins has taken has made him goofy. Nobody gives a sh*t about him anymore, so he’s using his hatred of McNabb to drum up some attention. The truth behind the hatred is, Hopkins was/is jealous that Donovan McNabb was more popular an athlete then he is/was/will be, and so he’s decided to slam him to get the attention on himself. I hope Roy Jones Jr. beats the piss out of him so he just goes away. He should shut his f’n mouth and not talk football. The sheer fact that he thinks Mike Vick should be the starting quarterback proves he is just stooooooopid!

77. McNabb fan says: Mar 31, 2010 9:35 PM

EX-CRACKHEAD SPEAKING,EVERYONE QUIET!!LOL!

78. HereThere says: Mar 31, 2010 9:37 PM

You Eagles fans who want McNabb gone are absolute idiots. He’s an elite QB and has led your club to the Super Bowl and the playoffs year after year. It’s not a bad problem to have. Kolb will be good, but he’s not McNabb. I kind of hope Philly is insane enough to trade the guy to a city that will actually appreciate him. As for Hopkins, of course he loves Vick: they’re both a couple of low-life ex-cons.

79. comment_submission_error says: Mar 31, 2010 9:43 PM

Ex-cons really stick together, don’t they?

80. Strick says: Mar 31, 2010 9:45 PM

Good thing Hopkins is black, else he’d be run out of town on a rail.
    Rush Limbaugh, anyone?
    I suppose it makes no difference at all that both Hopkins and Limbaugh are correct.

81. Bruisersrevenge says: Mar 31, 2010 9:49 PM

Yeah i cant stand all the mcnabb haters out there. Its because of mcnabb tgat some guys even had jobs. Guys like torrence small, james trash, toddd pinkston, and freddie mitchell. Those guys should all thank mcnabb for making them better then what they are. All though they havent won a superbowl with him, they have been one of the best franchises out there. Who is everyone gonna blame next year when #5 is not under center.

82. KM91 says: Mar 31, 2010 10:00 PM

Hopkins should stick to boxing unless he’s able to throw bullets to Desean Jackson.

83. Bruisersrevenge says: Mar 31, 2010 10:09 PM

Its funny how many mcnabb haters there are out there. Its because of mcnabb that some guys even had a job in NFL. Guys like torrence small, james thrash, todd pinkston and freddie mitchell should be thanking mcnabb for making them look better then what they really were. Peoplecan say all they want about how he has not won a superbowl but look at all the other things he has done. He has turned the eagles into one of the best franchises in the padt ten years. Whats everyone gonna say next year if the dont have mcnabb and they dont make playoffs. Wait i know what there gonna say, we should of kept #5.

84. BigBear123 says: Mar 31, 2010 10:12 PM

Jones beat his arse once before and will do so again. Took Hopkins 17 years to man up and accept another fight, and is only doing it for the huge payday.
    He knows a whoopin is waiting for him.

85. Ballz_Deep says: Mar 31, 2010 10:13 PM

The simple point he is trying to make is that it’s time for new blood to take the QB reigns whether it was Vick or Kolb. No one knows for sure what a full year of working with the first team would do. All he is trying to say is McNabb has already hit his peak and his chances winning a chip with this team have passed by.
    McNabb was NEVER MADE FOR THE WCO!

86. Mooch says: Mar 31, 2010 10:16 PM

Strick,
    So Hopkins things McNabb is overrated because he’s black?
    Really?
    Did you listen to what Rush actually said back then? Or what he pretends he said now? Because he ran, hid, and quit instead of fighting for his gig at ESPN. Because he is a coward and drug addict headed for Costa Rica (unless he’ll be a coward and backtrack on that as well).
    Multiple deferments from Vietnam because of ass boils.
    Never voted for Reagan…wasn’t even interested enough to register.
    Go back and listen to Rush tell you what to think, you obviously can’t think on your own. Or construct an argument. Or promote an opinion.
    Or donate to the Freedom Alliance, because Hannity needs more massages, pedicures, and luxury hotel stays.
    What a clown you are. You don’t even know what you are supposed to be arguing. Rush’s audience is comprised of the losers of America (low income, low education, C county and smaller), just look at any advertising sell sheet his stations will give you.
    Learn what you are talking about before you type. And buy some health insurance, your freeloading is over.

87. Ballz_Deep says: Mar 31, 2010 10:17 PM

Look at all the people being insecure for Donny. Obviously these losers go for personal attacks instead of a smart rebuttal. Shows people true colors when name calling is a result.

88. kpweaver27 says: Mar 31, 2010 10:19 PM

Is he suggesting that it could be a dogfight between Vick and Kolb?

89. Mooch says: Mar 31, 2010 10:22 PM

Bruiser, you clown. This is a business.
    The coach, owner, and GM must “hate” McNabb, because they are the ones who are holding a public auction for him. Oh, and I guess the rest of the league “hates” him too, because the best offer seems about what the Browns will give us for Gocong.
    You missed some offensive weapons we lost with.
    Terrell Owens
    Desean Jackson
    Brian Westbrook
    Brent Celek
    McNabb has NEVER made a player better than what they were. If you are great, McNabb can keep your numbers high. If you suck, you’ll continue to suck.
    He is a talented QB, but he is a Scottie Pippen. A Michael Jordan makes guys around him better, a Scottie “gets his” and impacts no one else.
    And it doesn’t matter is McNabb was coming off a career year, as opposed to an embarrassing season – he is old, not under contract after 2010, and the coach has his replacement in house in the last year of his deal. We made no FA moves of consequence, and the defense blows.
    IT. IS. OVER. No mater who starts, next season is a throwaway. Stop being emotional.
    Be an Eagles fan. Instead of a McNabb fan.

90. Repojam says: Mar 31, 2010 10:39 PM

Mooch says:
    March 31, 2010 9:00 PM
    Because there is no case to be made for McNabb being a great QB.
    ———————————–
    When was the last time he beat a team over .500? You know, last time I checked, football was a team sport. It’s hard to hang it all on McNabb.
    This is coming from the rarest of the rare, a Cowboys fan, and an Eagles fan, at that.
    The biggest problem I think the Eagles have going for them is the lack of a running game. Collinsworth said it well, when he said “For Eagles fans who don’t know what that is, it’s a run.”
    Having an unhealthy Westbrook and a weak running game in 2009 was an issue. With more of a running game, I honestly believe the games against Dallas would have been closer, and I am extremely disappointed that they were not closer.
    It’s easy to blame Donovan McNabb for the Eagles offensive problems, but it’s easy to forget during the season that the biggest issue, as a fan, I can see that the Eagles offense was one dimensional.
    Pass. Pass. Pass. Punt/First Down/Touchdown. That is a pretty easy system to defend against, and I can’t hang that all on McNabb. I can credit him and the receivers for the offense they did deliver this year, even with most teams having a clue of what was coming.

91. Raiders757 says: Mar 31, 2010 10:47 PM

This Hopkins guy is a complete moron if he thinks Vick could do any better than McNabb. Hell, Vick would be a giant step backwards for team, and they wouldn’t stand a snowball’s chance in hell at contending for a title, let alone the playoffs.

92. encinitasraider says: Mar 31, 2010 10:48 PM

MacNabb has 5 NFC East champs…..
    but Vick has killed at least 10 dogs in his life..

93. Cornerdenizen says: Mar 31, 2010 10:59 PM

@prnandhomeless :
    absolutely nothing you say has any merit.
    McNabb “never got over being booed on draft day?” This is based on what? Several years of excellent play?
    He only won one championship game? Funny, I always thought it took an entire team to win. The Dolphins, oh I mean, Dan Marino won only one championship game too. And no super bowls. Guess it was all Marino’s fault.
    You speak of McNabb not having the right comportment during a game? Not being serious enough? Funny, I’ve seen Brett Favre yuking it up during games, patting refs on the ass and ging them high fives and what not.
    Dude. Im glad you support your team and all, but you’re way off on pretty much..well, all of your analysis.

94. BwB says: Mar 31, 2010 11:25 PM

good call Hopkins, you douche bag

95. mickey ferr says: Mar 31, 2010 11:52 PM

Hopkins is on point with his opinion… Call him an idiot when hes talkin about football if you want… I’m just glad someone from philly started callin McNabb out just around the time we should have started thinking about trading him.
    So what if hes the best we ever had??? Does that mean we should settle with the fact we still havent won a superbowl because even our best hasnt done it for us yet. F that. We deserve better, we deserve a winning qb, and we shouldnt be critisized for wanting our team to win.

96. antneejay2 says: Apr 1, 2010 12:19 AM

“Hopkins would smash everyone’s face in that wants to hide behind their computer and right sh*t.” – Ballz_Deep
    There needs to be more of a focus on either education or euthanasia in this country. At the moment I’m leaning toward the latter.
    Would right sh*t be the opposite of left sh*t?

97. Bruisersrevenge says: Apr 1, 2010 12:50 AM

Mooch your a bum. Yeah the one year mcnabb had owens, u could make a case that he wad the best qb that year throwing 31 tds, 9 ints. As for jackson and celeck, um how manu years have they been on this team, o yeah like two. Oo and by the way i bleed green, huge eagles fan. Just cant stand the fans that like to bash mcnabb all the time. A true fan knows he is a good qb.

98. FMWarner says: Apr 1, 2010 2:25 AM

Bernard Hopkins should be in an episode of “When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong”.
    He’s just another in a long line of thugs that stick up for other thugs because they think being “hard” is the most important quality to have. Hopkins sees McNabb as a house negro, plain and simple. And because Hopkins is “hard”, a certain segment of idiot Eagles fans practically trip over themselves rushing to agree with him.
    Never mind that McNabb is a skilled QB and a proven winner. He isn’t black enough for Hopkins’ taste.

99. Subzero says: Apr 1, 2010 4:37 AM

Reading some of the comments on here….you would swear McNabb was the worst QB with a 40% completion percentage and 23 interceptions a season. It amazes me how much people belittle and bash him. Because he hasn’t won a ring ?? Do you people know anything about football..let alone football history? Yes he hasn’t won a Super Bowl….but that hardly makes him a horrible quarterback. There are QBs that barely win playoff games that don’t face as much bashing as him. The guy could have an almost 400 yard game, 3 or 4 passing tds(Like the Cardinals game with 1 tipped int) and people will still blame the game on him. EVERY time the Eagles lose…he’s blamed. It’s obvious many of you don’t know what it takes to win a Championship if you place everything on the QB…it’s pathetic
    And anyone who says “Hey I agree with Rush Limbaugh”…that really says a lot about your intellect

100. TheDPR says: Apr 1, 2010 7:52 AM

Hopkins is a dope. If you can’t pass from the pocket you’ll never win anything in this league.
    Mike Vick? Is he joking? The guy’s horrible. And no surprise, he’s never won a championship.
    I want the Eagles to trade 5 because it’s time to do so, not because I’m under a ridiculous delusion that Vick or Kolb are better QBs. Kolb might be someday. Vick never was and never will be.

101. Mooch says: Apr 1, 2010 8:03 AM

Bruiser and others, this is what I cannot reconcile when I talk to people like you…
    When we talk about LOSSES, you state that it is a TEAM game.
    When we talk about WINS, you give the credit to McNabb – he’s the reason we’ve been so successful and we’d never see seasons like this again with another QB at the helm.
    So, when it suits you…it’s a team game. And when it suits you…it’s all about McNabb.
    That’s inconsistent, and dishonest. Let’s talk facts.
    FACT – those weapons were good enough to rack up lots of wins and get to NFC title games. These weapons were good enough to be favored in many of those games, inclusive of several losses at home.
    FACT – McNabb has not led winning drives in big games. He has come up short (TB, CAR) or failed to deliver with the ball in his hand at the end of the game (ATL).
    FACT – this team has NEVER defeated teams it isn’t supposed to beat. A few against Dallas (one w/ Garcia), Giants, and the playoff game in Chicago are the only ones I remember saying “wow, we shouldn’t have won that game”. Maybe 7 games in 11 years. I have seen many losses to teams that we should roll.
    That last one has a lot to do with Andy, as do many team problems.
    But it doesn’t matter who is right. It IS a team game, and the team stinks aside from offensive skill positions (which are in the process of maturing). Why keep McNabb when this season is going nowhere? When you need to rebuild so much (D, OL)?
    And don’t tell me we are going to get 4 starters in the draft, you know from the record that that won’t happen. We get one, maybe two. And FA has passed, so you can only sign has-bens and make patchwork changes to personnel.
    So, McNabb is a very good QB overall, great in the regular season. But by the time the team is poised to compete, he’ll be long gone (2012). So why not cash him in and accelerate the rebuilding?
    The only reason to keep McNabb is sentimentality.

102. Mooch says: Apr 1, 2010 8:17 AM

Repojam,
    So I’m a Cowboy fan because I disagree with you? Or because I don’t drink the Spadaro Cool-Aid? Nonsense.
    “The biggest problem I think the Eagles have going for them is the lack of a running game.”
    Yep, totally agree. Won’t change with Reid – so we have to live with it. And maybe Collinsworth should get some balls and tell Andy Reid that – since we Eagle fans don’t call the plays or develop the gameplan (contrary to what he seems to think). When I’ve come on here and said we need to run more, Stepfords fans like you call me a “Reid Hater” and attack my fandom.
    “With more of a running game, I honestly believe the games against Dallas would have been closer, and I am extremely disappointed that they were not closer.”
    The losses to Dallas shocked me to the point where I want to tear it down. It proves we aren’t close. Aside from our lack of commitment to the run, the OL was in shambles at the end of the season (let’s ignore why for now). That needs to be rebuilt – RG starter and backup C /T at least.
    And defense needs a total overhaul.
    Before that game I believed we were contenders on the level of MIN, NO, and the like.
    Now, I see that we’re in the class of CIN, NYJ, GB. We’re getting farther from winning a SB, and I think that’s clear.
    Sounds like you’d rather fire Reid and keep McNabb, which is what I wanted. But it isn’t happening. And I cannot trade Reid for the picks we need to fix D and OL.
    We see the same problems and identify what needs to be fixed. The difference is I want to rebuild around Kolb and a young offensive WR/TE/RB group…and you want to double down on McNabb.
    Why?
    Now, why would you ever call me a Cowboy fan?

103. Mooch says: Apr 1, 2010 8:24 AM

Ultimately, Hopkins is trying to promote a fight.
    So maybe he’s punch-drunk like a fox.

104. Dawkphan says: Apr 1, 2010 8:45 AM

Bernard STFU !!! stick to your own sport and stop bieng a Hater!

105. SPORTS1969 says: Apr 1, 2010 8:46 AM

this comming from a guy who still takes shots to the head for a living at 44 years old ,and hes filthy rich ,don mcnabb is a good person good player

106. JBell13 says: Apr 1, 2010 8:47 AM

When it comes to the Eagles, Hopkins knows his sh!t. He was the one that called Vick going to the Eagles in the first place, and he’s dead on about McNabb becoming an “Uncle Tom” pocket passer and giving away his best attribute – his ability to run. Once teams became comfortable knowing McNabb was no longer a threat to run, they no longer had to “spy” him, and therefore, respect that weapon in his arsenal.

107. SPORTS1969 says: Apr 1, 2010 8:53 AM

philly fans they hate some dmcnabb and hes a hall of fame caliber qb,another reflection of the lunacy of the philadelphia area

108. SPORTS1969 says: Apr 1, 2010 8:58 AM

What the heck is wrong with a qb perfecting his craft as a pocket passer,McNabb is a hall of fame qb and now he s a uncle tom pocket passer ,thats nonsense he will run when he has too but how many running qbs have won super bowls,this isnt the wishbone and ok,its the nfl

109. Los Gigantes says: Apr 1, 2010 9:15 AM

Obviously Hopkins has taken more blows to the face from old washed up guys then Kendra and that’s why his predictions are so off base…
    Philly will never appreciate what they have… Hence why they shipped off Cliff Lee… McNabb has been an top tier calibur QB and the face of their franchise for sometime… He is a class act… But that has never seemed to be good enough for Philly… They would rather trade away a sure thing for the new great hope who had “two 300 hundred yard games in his two starts” or a dog killing, never was good enough to win when he was fast, no arm, no acuracy, no morale retard… I guess the new face of the franchise should fit the model of the city so I’m guess Reid will pick Vick… Congratulations on atleast one more year of not being a contender and not winning a superbowl…
    I thought everyone forgot about boxing already… This would have more credability if it came from a UFC fighter…

110. JBell13 says: Apr 1, 2010 9:39 AM

If you think Hopkins has taken too many blows to the head, OBVIOUSLY you’ve never seen him fight. He has the best defense in the sport. NEVER gets hit. Never been cut.

111. Repojam says: Apr 1, 2010 9:43 AM

Mooch says:
    April 1, 2010 8:17 AM
    Repojam,
    (snip)
    Why?
    Now, why would you ever call me a Cowboy fan?
    (snip)
    ———-
    No No No. I am the Cowboys and Eagles fans, though I understand in Philly being called a Cowboys fan is probably comparable to being accused of being an Eagles fan in Dallas, or being accused of being retarded in any other city. I guess no matter which city I’m in, I’d have to learn mock offense. I’d never accuse anyone on ProFootballTrolls of being a fan of anyone.
    Well, except for Voxveritas and his constant 0-3gles jibber.
    And as for Collinsworth, he said that on National Television, during the game. Andy Reid may not have been watching, but many of us were. It doesn’t take a genius, or even someone knowing much about football to see that the Eagle’s gameplan for 09 was for the most part a pass pass pass punt, like a backwards and even more predictable Martyball. If Andy Reid hasn’t figured that out, he deserves to be gone. Maybe he’s attempting to kick himself in the nads over the lack of a running game in 09 that led to a predictable and short attempt at the playoffs, but I can leave that part alone, since this article is mostly about McNabb, and how Vick and/Kolb are better than him according to a boxer, and all I will provide is speculation as to why the Eagles pretty much abandoned the run for 2009, especially the latter half.
    And now, A stepford fan? Let’s not get straight for labels here unless that’s your style, but don’t play up the victim so much, unless that’s how you get your jollies. If that’s the case, victim it up, call me a Stepford Fan, idiot Dallas fan, whatever makes ya feel better.

112. Mooch says: Apr 1, 2010 10:04 AM

Cliff Lee? We have someone bringing up Cliff Lee?

113. Mooch says: Apr 1, 2010 10:33 AM

Sorry – I called you a Stepford fan because I thought you were an Eagle fan calling me a Cowboy fan – because I wasn’t toting the party line. I misunderstood you.
    Eagle AND Cowboy fan, huh? That’s a tough one to balance.
    I have trouble with reconciling 76er and Knick fandom – but the woeful state of both has made that easier as of late!
    As for Vick, I reiterate, he’s a total non-factor. Seriously, I am more concerned about replacing Sav Rocca. All in all, Hopkins opinions on that are ludicrous and personal in nature. But I don’t like people bashing Hopkins, the man is a champ.

114. favre uses allens mullet as handlebars says: Apr 1, 2010 12:05 PM

B-hop is going to destory RJJ. No doubt about it. That said hes still a Jackass.
    —————————————————–
    McNabb fan says:
    March 31, 2010 9:35 PM
    EX-CRACKHEAD SPEAKING,EVERYONE QUIET!!LOL!
    —————————————————
    Thats some funny shit!
    ————————————————-
    Go ahead Philly trade him but then dont bitch when he lands on the Vikings and they kick your butt. Cause thats whats going to happen.

115. Pervy Harvin says: Apr 1, 2010 6:07 PM

I have met B Hop a couple of times. You people calling him shit would only do so in the safety of the computer room. Yah,boxers can know football and definitely know if a man has heart. So what if he tells the truth? You know,that McNabb is a pussy.

116. tbris84 says: Apr 1, 2010 10:20 PM

Who is this ? What’s his relevence to football? And why should I care?
    Back on subject… As much of a doucher as BHop may be, he makes a great point that all you DMac fans who argue that he needs weapons seem to miss.
    “McNabb was a running quarterback early in his career with the Eagles but he changed,” Hopkins said. “Somebody suggested that he should stay in the pocket. And I’m like, McNabb, don’t be an idiot. God gave you the ability — take advantage of that.”
    The reason he went from a top 3 QB in 2004 with TO to a 13th ranked QB with better weapons in 2009 has nothing to do with his targets and everything to do with his decision to switch play styles. He is what he is, a runner who can pass, not a passer who can pass well. Leave that to the PMannings, TBradys, and JMontanas. He WAS more of a SYoung style QB and was really, really good at it. DMac, why couldn’t you leave well enough alone?
    Time for a change, even if it is to Kolb.

117. jonesy1124 says: Apr 2, 2010 12:00 PM

Hopkins is plain flat out retarded. Vick should be the starter??? What a friggin jackass!!!! Look @ what 5 has done…Rumor has it Donovan either didnt recognoze him or didnt aknowledge him @ a party somewhere and since then he has gone ape-shit.
    Hopkins, just concentrate on hopefully getting your ass kicked Saturday

118. Mooch says: Apr 2, 2010 8:55 PM

Dude, Roy Jones couldn’t knock YOU out.

119. Brady-mancrush says: Apr 2, 2010 11:51 PM

“Stay classy Bernard” comments in 3..2…1…