Jimmy Clausen may want to clam up, too

Receiver Dez Bryant isn’t the only guy who should consider saying not another word until after he’s drafted.  Quarterback Jimmy Clausen would be wise to zip it, too.

Clausen has responded to Marty McShay’s assertion that the former Golden Domer lacks leadership skills and maturity.

I have no idea why he says that,” Clausen told Jason Reid of the Washington Post.  “People are just going to say what they want to say.  But at the end of the day, I am who I am.  And the people who really know who I am, know the type of person that I am — a loving, caring person [who's] a pretty good football player and a great leader on the field and off the field.”

A loving, caring person?  Really?

Clausen might actually be loving and caring.  But he shouldn’t describe himself that way.

The better approach would have been to point out that he was voted a captain by his teammates.  That pretty much answers any and all criticism that McShay or anyone else could direct to Clausen’s leadership.

Permalink 52 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
52 Responses to “Jimmy Clausen may want to clam up, too”
  1. TealDeal says: Mar 31, 2010 5:19 PM

I knew he wath tho lovable. He’s thhooooo Fantabuloth!
    I

2. The Wishbone says: Mar 31, 2010 5:20 PM

The best part of his quote is where he calls himself “a pretty good football player”. That’s McShay’s point. He’s not great, and shouldn’t go high in the draft.
    Thanks, dumbass, for admitting it.

3. Brewster says: Mar 31, 2010 5:20 PM

Hey, at least he didn’t say he was blessed.

4. funi says: Mar 31, 2010 5:21 PM

Jimmy Clausen will be liek all aother overrated ND qb’s! Brady Quinn,Ron Pawlus, Tony Rice!

5. this class sucks says: Mar 31, 2010 5:21 PM

I’ve known this kid since high school. He is neither mature nor a leader.

6. PFFFFT says: Mar 31, 2010 5:22 PM

You can do better than Marty McShay.

7. artkang says: Mar 31, 2010 5:23 PM

so…..what’s your point? another article suitable for the garbage can.

8. Balla says: Mar 31, 2010 5:24 PM

I can’t decide which quarterback in this draft that I hate more- Clausen or Tebow. They are both insufferable.

9. Seeryer says: Mar 31, 2010 5:25 PM

Being voted team captain of a 6-6 Notre Dame team is not something I would be touting. Sort of like being elected mayor of Wasilla, AK. Maybe if he was the team captain and they went 10-3 and didn’t lose to heavy hitters like Navy, McShay wouldn’t have much of an argument. If you are the leader of a team that goes 6-6, what does that say about where and how the team is being led. Clausen’s signature win in his career is a comeback win at Purdue against a sub .500 team. Yeah, how could McShay ever question such a leader?

10. WarrenMoonGOAT says: Mar 31, 2010 5:26 PM

Florio STFU who the heck made u the moral police officer of all things football?
    man i wish someone could throw a football at your head

11. umcouldbe says: Mar 31, 2010 5:26 PM

Florio is now captain of the semantics police. YOU should be the one to clam up any time you feel the need to write one of those snappy one-liners–you are anemia in the blood bank of humor.

12. wryly1 says: Mar 31, 2010 5:26 PM

You don’t have to be investigative reporters of the Woodward & Bernstein caliber to find out what kind of a schmuck Clausen is. Many people in the booming metropilis of South Bend, IN know all to well – including some of his teammates and classmates.

13. mrqtte says: Mar 31, 2010 5:28 PM

agreed

14. Speedy says: Mar 31, 2010 5:30 PM

why the HELL would he need to answer to McShay?both he and Kiper were saying Rams had to take Suh a month ago,even tho their qb situation is far worst than Detroits was with Kitna a year before and said Stafford was the pick

15. eagles_5_beast says: Mar 31, 2010 5:30 PM

Well at least we can understand what he’s saying

16. CapsLockKey says: Mar 31, 2010 5:31 PM

When I read him saying “loving and caring” why do I have the image of the speedo boat picture of his in my head?

17. 4ever19 says: Mar 31, 2010 5:34 PM

Funi, was Tony Rice drafted? Not sure what you mean by overrated? And Powlus never was drafted so not sure how you mean overrated? Do you mean coming out of high school?

18. Fonetik says: Mar 31, 2010 5:35 PM

Hahaha what a fag.

19. ReallyFlorio? says: Mar 31, 2010 5:35 PM

another amazing report Florio, please tell us something news worthy for a change.

20. jamaltimore says: Mar 31, 2010 5:37 PM

Seriously any Major College Program QB who lost to NAVY should not be considered a first round draft pick. I don’t care if he is “loving and caring”!

21. GoBrowns19 says: Mar 31, 2010 5:37 PM

Eh, who cares. I don’t think he’s any more or less mature for saying he’s loving and caring. Maybe gay, but not a worse QB.

22. RaiderFredin SD says: Mar 31, 2010 5:38 PM

“not that theres anything wrong with that…”

23. rhage13 says: Mar 31, 2010 5:38 PM

He does talk about Captain status Florio- read the whole article.

24. StevieMo says: Mar 31, 2010 5:39 PM

“…like all the other overrated ND QB’s….”
    How ’bout Joe Montana?

25. itsalwayssunnyindetroit.com says: Mar 31, 2010 5:42 PM

I have never known this kid, but he looks like an emu.

26. mwcarolina says: Mar 31, 2010 5:42 PM

I don’t blame him for saying this. McShay is trashing his character and saying that he’s bad and can’t lead an ant farm, so i can’t blame him for responding, as for his playing skills, he’s not going to say he’s great, every quarterback admits they CAN get better.

27. litemater says: Mar 31, 2010 5:47 PM

How can he be a caring, loving person? That belongs to Saint Timothy!

28. DoverShores says: Mar 31, 2010 5:47 PM

lol… and what was so horrible about what he said?

29. jibfest says: Mar 31, 2010 5:48 PM

Everyone who complains about Florio’s updates needs to Clam up. Don’t come onto the website if you think the headlines are stupid. I’ve never seen so many people whine and complain about a website, yet they still come on here, read the articles and post comments.

30. Tdk24 says: Mar 31, 2010 5:52 PM

I thought he was the stunt double for the alien Predator.

31. rolltide says: Mar 31, 2010 5:54 PM

I’ve never heard an answer from pro-Clausen folks as to the Brady Quinn comparison. Sure both being from the same program doesn’t make them the same player, but what is supposed to set Clausen aside is the “pro system” he played in at ND that didn’t seem to benefit Quinn, who also seems bigger and stronger.

32. SterilizeTHenry says: Mar 31, 2010 5:56 PM

Agree with Speedy.
    McShay is the worst. Clausen shoudn’t have to explain why McShay thinks what he thinks, becuase not even McShay HIMSELF knows that.
    Every mock-drafter with a website who lives in their parents basement had the Rams drafting a QB #1 shortly after the season ended, whether it be Bradford, Clausen, or Locker (before he announced he was going back to school).
    Now McShay is slowly coming around to the logic that everyone else already knew: QBs win championships, not DTs.

33. DB26 says: Mar 31, 2010 6:07 PM

Everyone keeps comparing him to Quinn…. Why? Leadership? Check – Stong Arm? Check – Accuracy? Check – Makes all necessary throws? Check
    Brady Quinn is not accurate, cannot throw the deep ball, cannot make all the throws, and goes through his progressions way too quickly.
    My money is on Claussen to be THE BEST QB in this draft…. Yes, above Bradford, McCoy, and Tebow for all you morons that want me to mention his name.

34. rhage13 says: Mar 31, 2010 6:13 PM

@StevieMo- dont forget Theismann

35. Florio-is-a-tool says: Mar 31, 2010 6:48 PM

He sounds like the perfect BFF to Peter King if/when his current BFF ever retires. I wonder if Clausen is good at texting.

36. Edgy6 says: Mar 31, 2010 7:00 PM

Haha…”side adjust”…it’s sight adjust. Hoping he was mis-quoted, happens often with football jargon and not-so-bright-so-called-sports-writers.
    Having said that…I still don’t like Clausen. Every time I see him, I just want to punch him in the face. That’s just too much ammo for d-linemen who are usually angry to begin with. Bold prediction: Tim Couch, Jr.

37. SFrancis1680 says: Mar 31, 2010 7:07 PM

first it was Dez Bryant, now it’s Clausen, …now you’re giving these kids advice on what to say? FLORIO, you seem a little cranky today, did someone hide your toupee?

38. LuvThatDirtyWatah says: Mar 31, 2010 7:26 PM

LOL @ TealBeal

39. Beast says: Mar 31, 2010 7:27 PM

They should make this a rule…Don’t draft ND QB’s in the 1st or 2nd round. It’s not worth it. They all end up sucking the big one. Or as OchoCinco likes to say..Kissing the baby..lmaoo.

40. brasho says: Mar 31, 2010 7:31 PM

Jimmy Clausen may want to clam up, too
    Posted by Mike Florio on March 31, 2010 5:16 PM ET
    Receiver Dez Bryant isn’t the only guy who should consider saying not another word until after he’s drafted. Quarterback Jimmy Clausen would be wise to zip it, too.
    “I have no idea why he says that,” Clausen told Jason Reid of the Washington Post. “People are just going to say what they want to say. But at the end of the day, I am who I am. And the people who really know who I am, know the type of person that I am — a loving, caring person [who's] a pretty good football player and a great leader on the field and off the field.”
    A loving, caring person? Really?
    Clausen might actually be loving and caring. But he shouldn’t describe himself that way.
    The better approach would have been to point out that he was voted a captain by his teammates. That pretty much answers any and all criticism that McShay or anyone else could direct to Clausen’s leadership.
    Permalink 39 Comments Latest stories in: Latest News and Rumors, NFL Mobile Exclusives – Rumors, Top Stories
    Previous: No charges to be filed against Joey PorterNext: PFT Daily: Little or no market for RFAs39 Responses to “Jimmy Clausen may want to clam up, too”
    TealDeal says:
    March 31, 2010 5:19 PM
    I knew he wath tho lovable. He’s thhooooo Fantabuloth!
    I
    The Wishbone says:
    March 31, 2010 5:20 PM
    Thanks, dumbass, for admitting it.
    _______________________________
    It’s called being humble, asscan.

41. thecrazytomato says: Mar 31, 2010 7:45 PM

Ive still yet to understand why readers click these pages, if they always seem to hate the articles. The comments are so much more sensible Weekdays from 7am-2pm. Go figure that is when the children are in school.

42. John_Claytons_Football_Career says: Mar 31, 2010 7:57 PM

Well welcome to the NFL Jimmy, your loving and caring attitude fits right in with the commish. Roger Goodell will be over soon to hand you a skirt and flags. Tom Brady wears a size XXL so we went ahead and pre-ordered for you.

43. Sasquash says: Mar 31, 2010 8:29 PM

I have to disagree. This doesn’t seem that bad

44. TryTheVeal says: Mar 31, 2010 8:36 PM

Damn,,,,,,,They still play football at ND?…..I thought after they became the service acadamies bitches they gave it up….

45. jebdamone says: Mar 31, 2010 9:19 PM

part two of florio’s meager attempt to wish clausen dropping to the vikings at 30. personally not that high on the kid but still don’t think there is a chance in hell he drops that far.

46. JimmySmith says: Mar 31, 2010 10:31 PM

Just watching the kid being interviewed after the ND games, I find it hard to believe he even attended college much less the University of Notre Dame. He might have talent but leadership might begin with learning to speak at a grade level higher than 6th grade.

47. Mainbucsfan says: Apr 1, 2010 4:25 AM

Jimmy clausen-immature and lacks leadership skills=Ryan leaf

48. patpatriotagain says: Apr 1, 2010 5:37 AM

funi – you forgot a few – joe theismann, joe montana,

49. X-AML says: Apr 1, 2010 8:20 AM

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t there more than one player on the team? They all went 6-6 not just Clausen. I thought he did a damn good job. Quinn was a good college QB but not NFL material.I agree with DB26, Clausen will do better than Quinn ever thought he would. But don’t get me wrong I like Quinn also, maybe he just wasn’t in the right program.

50. green&bold says: Apr 1, 2010 8:23 AM

What? football players can’t give hugs? WTF?

51. The Hoff says: Apr 1, 2010 9:51 AM

worthless article. He didn’t say anything that would elicit and “article” suggesting he not talk.
    weaksauce. step up your game.

52. JayBot says: Apr 1, 2010 3:23 PM

He really should keep quiet, because the teams that may consider drafting him are probably more concerned with his inability to handle media scrutiny than anything being said specifically by McShay.