Saints fan license plate approved

I just got back from a few weeks in New Orleans and can report there isn’t a business in town that isn’t selling Saints championship memorabilia of some sort.

Now the state is ready to get in on the act.

The Saints and the state of Louisiana will work together to design a new fan license plate, although it may not have the famous “Who Dat” phrase on it.

Florio wrote about a possible “Who dat” license legislation, but the sponsor of that bill withdrew his plan because he wanted to avoid litigation, according to New Orleans Times-Picayune.  There have been lawsuits about the ownership of the “Who Dat” phrase.

The NFL and the Saints have had input in the process of a license plate to avoid any legal problems.  The extra $25 fee will be spent on parks, recreation and youth fitness programs.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
28 Responses to “Saints fan license plate approved”
  1. watson says: Mar 31, 2010 10:03 AM

I have a Phrase for the first License plate that comes off the line. “NVRAGAIN”……

2. TheDPR says: Mar 31, 2010 10:03 AM

3. khuman says: Mar 31, 2010 10:07 AM

so no who dat, no fluer de lis, how is this a saints license plate?

4. khuman says: Mar 31, 2010 10:07 AM

so no who dat, no fluer de lis, how is this a saints license plate?

5. EG says: Mar 31, 2010 10:09 AM

“The NFL and the Saints have had input in the process to avoid any legal problems. The extra $25 fee will be spent on parks, recreation and youth fitness programs.”
    isn’t this cause important enough for the whole “who dat” argument to be put on the backburner???

6. Poo Flinging Monkey says: Mar 31, 2010 10:10 AM

Pennsylvania lawmakers have approved a similar plate for Steeler fans: “Who Raped”.

7. KyleOrtonsArm says: Mar 31, 2010 10:11 AM

awesome

8. billsenior says: Mar 31, 2010 10:13 AM

Why not make the plate saying, “Duh Who Dat”?
    Who Dat sounds like someone with very limited education. “Duh” would just underscore that.

9. ChrisD says: Mar 31, 2010 10:13 AM

Dat Nguyen!

10. peskys_pole says: Mar 31, 2010 10:13 AM

The 1,200 season ticket holders who are losing their seats, should get these plates for free

11. Gordon-Geico-Gekko says: Mar 31, 2010 10:20 AM

Ebonics now represents all of Louisiana.
    Now that’s class.
    [ / I guess "Busta Cap" wouldn't fit? ]

12. Captain says: Mar 31, 2010 10:30 AM

if i get one, i’m afraid a viking will blitz my car like the saints blitzed favre.

13. Cranbo says: Mar 31, 2010 10:31 AM

What the heck does it even mean? Who are they? Is that really a rallying cry? I hate hearing it with a passion heretofor reserved for Nancy Pelosi.

14. jwill007 says: Mar 31, 2010 10:39 AM

“I would constantly think about runing my vehicle right into the back of anything sporting a “Who Dat” phrase.
    While I’m happy for the Saints and their fans, I desperately would love to see that phrase go away. You won a Superbowl. So far there have been 43 other champions, so move on and get ready to try to win one again.”
    “LOL all you righteous PERFECT people who cant stand less educated terms….You have DR’s saying it. Its the sign of recognizing your team and fans…relax a little everyone wont talk as PROFESSIONAL and Accomplished as your self….”
    and the NFL needs to back the hell up and quit tryin to run shit all the time….The state needs money let em get some…..

15. billsenior says: Mar 31, 2010 11:15 AM

to : jwill007
    I am relaxed, my doctors all speak a language you can understand. Duh
    I guess doctors down there examine you with a straw hanging out of their mouths as they speak their on form of bayou lingo.
    Where I come from you don’t need another form of English to root for your team. And incidendly, I did root for the Saints without the “Who Dat” because I knew who they were.

16. NoKoolaidCowboy says: Mar 31, 2010 11:16 AM

The evolution of a now infamous phrase…
    Who is it Dat?
    Who was it Dat?
    What was it Dat?
    Who is it that was it Dat?
    What the Dat?
    and of course ultimately…
    Who Dat?
    Ebonics, alive and well!

17. Louis says: Mar 31, 2010 11:43 AM

Watson You must be a crybaby Viking fan. For your team it never was never will be.

18. Louis says: Mar 31, 2010 11:48 AM

Who Dat?
    If you must know.
    Weese Dat

19. watson says: Mar 31, 2010 1:05 PM

No Louis Im AMERICAS TEAM Fan. Just thought New Orleans got lucky. in other words”
    NVRAGAIN”

20. Ilovefoolsball says: Mar 31, 2010 1:08 PM

Hey everyone I’m so happy that you all have so much love for the Saints and the beloved Who Dat phrase! Any post mentioning the Saints has gotten loads of attention due to people now hating the Saints because the Saints ARE SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS!!!
    Sorry that your teams blew it and couldn’t hold on to the ball but better luck next year! To the haters saying that the Saints won’t ever win another superbowl, you sound like a bitter teenage girl who just lost her boyfriend to another more pretty, intelligent girl.
    It’s ok because every year is a new year and maybe for once the Vikings will actually win a Superbowl!

21. billsenior says: Mar 31, 2010 1:09 PM

Ebonics. Did you say Ebonics. Duh
    Now I understand. Wuzup wit da yuz dudes? Weez b woopin wit dat ting, duh. Ya’ll know wut I mean? Go Saints yup yup.

22. hankstramcbsradio says: Mar 31, 2010 1:17 PM

Saints fans are the biggest bunch of crybabies. Going on and on about how they never get respect and how insulting the OT rule change as to them. I don’t think they should be worried about fan license plates. They need to worry about getting on with their lives and stopping their constant complaining and crying.

23. Mark B. Dunay says: Mar 31, 2010 1:24 PM

TERPS 1
    After ’02 National Championship
    Fear the Turtle, baby !!

24. TorVikeFan says: Mar 31, 2010 1:56 PM

I tried to get “Who Dat Greased Refs in NFC Title Game” but it was way too long.

25. jwill007 says: Mar 31, 2010 3:31 PM

if everybody talked like Billsenior this world would be boring as hell…..
    Im glad we are not….Thats why its called the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA you have many different people speaking many different ways….Move to Russia if you want everybody to talk the same feel me dog???? LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You cant change so dont read it….you aint a fan anyways….lol

26. MasterShake says: Mar 31, 2010 10:53 PM

TheDPR says:
    March 31, 2010 10:03 AM
    “Am I the only one who thinks the ability to legally “own” a phrase is a bad thing for society?”
    I completely agree with you. Unfortunately for you, I own that phrase you typed so you have to apologize and pay up.

27. MasterShake says: Mar 31, 2010 11:25 PM

Does this come with a brown paper bag to cover the plate when the team starts to suck again?
    Surely that’s not legal, but it is L.A.

28. whodater1978 says: Apr 13, 2010 9:55 AM

to: jwill007
    Apparently you aren’t from here. Who Dat is a part of New Orleans. To be a true Saints fan is to be a Who Dat. If you are going to comment stupid yankee comments about us keep it to yourself. No one here in New Orleans needs negativity. And yes, we are very intelligent people. Just because we talk with an accent or with slang doesn’t make us unintelligent. Maybe you’re unintelligent for making such a comment! WHO DAT BITCH!