Walker recalls offering to give Raiders money back

Upon Javon Walker’s release, we explained why his contract may have been the worst in the history of NFL free agency.

Making it even worse: Al Davis had the chance to get out of the contract, and passed.

“It wasn’t my fault because obviously the Raiders gave it to me, Walker recently told Melissa Jacobs of TheFootballgirl.com.
“Everybody knows how Al Davis is.  What fans don’t realize is when I
signed that contract I offered to give it back.  I don’t take money just
to take it.  People need to give the money back and they said no.”

As hard as it is to believe, this really did happen.  Chris Mortensen reported as much back in August 2008.  Walker wanted to retire, and Davis wouldn’t let him.

Walker says he’s going to prove this year he’s just as good as he ever was.  We suspect he won’t get the chance.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
41 Responses to “Walker recalls offering to give Raiders money back”
  1. brownsfn says: Mar 31, 2010 2:39 PM

Good ole Senile Al Davis….DUMBASS

2. Bobby Bushay says: Mar 31, 2010 2:39 PM

Al, if JaCarcuss wants to give some money back, TAKE IT!

3. Big Stretch says: Mar 31, 2010 2:41 PM

the UFL needs a few more names.

4. Outfoxed says: Mar 31, 2010 2:41 PM

What are you all expecting from this post? Something as meaningful as the above article?

5. suvantar says: Mar 31, 2010 2:46 PM

“Javon has never been in trouble. Javon doesn’t have a criminal record. Javon has never been caught up in anything detrimental to a team as far as my character. I’m not scared of nothing. I’ll come in there. I’ll workout with the team.”
    *******************************************
    This isn’t specifically about Javon Walker. I honestly don’t know much about what happened with him. The last time I really remember him playing much was in Green Bay.
    I just think the situation is a little bit screwy when a professional athlete uses his lack of involvement in criminal activity as a selling point.
    Really? Can I bring that up in my next job interview?
    “I’ve never committed a crime, so you should hire me.”

6. Common Sense says: Mar 31, 2010 2:46 PM

Is this a Raiders site?????

7. Butt Plug says: Mar 31, 2010 2:49 PM

“Walker wanted to retire, and Davis wouldn’t let him.”
    So AL Davis is a slave master of some sorts? This is pathetic. It was 2 yrs ago and Lane Kiffin talked him( Walker ) into staying b/c Kiffin was the guy that wanted to sign him in the first place. If Walker would have quit 1 month after signing, then Kiffin would have been in the doghouse. Needless to say none of that matters now. This story is hogwash!

8. Cereal Blogger says: Mar 31, 2010 2:54 PM

What is wrong with Al Davis,,,,I mean really. Is he the worst owner in sports ? He & Peter Angelos must be friends

9. Sasquatch says: Mar 31, 2010 2:55 PM

Bears should roll the dice. If he stinks, he stinks. No real downside especially when you look at the rest of the competition at WR in Chicago.

10. Tdk24 says: Mar 31, 2010 2:57 PM

hey, at the time, we needed all the wr help we could get. we took a chance on him and it didn’t work. it’s not the first time that has happened. can we know get back to talking about how bad the bengals were in the 90′s? remember all those bad picks? i do. how bout the jets and all their bad picks for like 150 years in a row. how bout the lions? the rams anyone? the browns?

11. Citizen Strange says: Mar 31, 2010 2:57 PM

“…..What fans don’t realize is when I signed that contract I offered to give it back. I don’t take money just to take it. People need to give the money back and they said no.”
    But then Walker’s agent stepped in and said “Shhhhh Javon, the grownups are talking.”

12. WarrenMoonGOAT says: Mar 31, 2010 2:58 PM

nobody will pay Javon Walker a dime….

13. Ilovefoolsball says: Mar 31, 2010 3:02 PM

The Raiders should defect to the UFL.

14. theTRUTHwillSETuFREE says: Mar 31, 2010 3:02 PM

WTF??? Your bringing up Raiders news from 2008 now? At least you were right about 1 article on the Raiders. Too bad it was from almost 2 years ago…….what a joke!

15. pedey01 says: Mar 31, 2010 3:03 PM

Walker is quoted as saying: “People need to give the money back and they said no.””
    What does that even mean? Does he really refer to himself in third person as “people”?
    On another note, how long until the citizens of Oakland remove Al Davis by force and take their team back? He has become a real embarassment to the NFL and its fans

16. The Real Shuxion says: Mar 31, 2010 3:04 PM

Commitment to Excellence

17. karmathaitch says: Mar 31, 2010 3:04 PM

I hate the waiderz, but thats a true story. He wanted to quit, and devil davis talk’d him back into it. What a fool. Let ur kids run that organization or the crazies in the black hole. They’ll do better..

18. SPORTS1969 says: Mar 31, 2010 3:04 PM

javon good luck in the future,your done

19. Poo Flinging Monkey says: Mar 31, 2010 3:08 PM

“# Bobby Bushay says: March 31, 2010 2:39 PM
    Al, if JaCarcuss wants to give some money back, TAKE IT!”
    Jacarcuss?!?! That’s perfect!

20. Dolphinatic says: Mar 31, 2010 3:09 PM

Remember when Walker got knocked out and robbed in an alley, in Vegas, in the early a.m. ..Lucky he was even around to collect that free $$. …

21. Action Dan says: Mar 31, 2010 3:10 PM

I wish I could feel for Javon with regard to losing his friend Darent Williams, but I can’t.
    He was a class-A asshole in Green Bay
    He was a class-A asshole in Denver before the shooting
    He was spraying champagne bottles around AFTER the shooting.

22. Ray Guy says: Mar 31, 2010 3:13 PM

The ONLY silver lining to this story is that maybe Al will go broke and have to give up running the team.
    Please sign ME Al. I could use a few mill for doing nothing (see Javon, MeAngelo, Decoy HB, Marijuanovich and JaFatone, et al)

23. GirthyOne says: Mar 31, 2010 3:20 PM

I would think that some team would give him a look and see if he has anything left. If it is true that he was hurt (appeared to be lacking passion) and now he is healthy, it would be a great signing for someone. He was a great talent.

24. Brewster says: Mar 31, 2010 3:24 PM

Walker wouldn’t be a bad pick up for the Panthers or the Jags. He can be had cheap and if he is as good as he thinks he is he can contribute immediately on either team while they develop someone behind him.
    The Panthers certainly have done much worse in FA WR pick ups over the years.

25. nerd says: Mar 31, 2010 3:31 PM

His knee is totaled. If I was a desperate team like the Bears, I might give him a chance for the minimum. But I’d probably cut him in training camp.
    Dude had alot of skills when he started out. I think when Favre called him out for trying to hold out and so he decided to play after all, then blew out his knee in the first game, something snapped in his head.

26. the big bronco says: Mar 31, 2010 3:37 PM

Please Raider fans, do not and I repeat DO NOT disrespect Mr. Davis,
    and his fantastic personal moves.. Here in Denver , we greatly approve of making sure Javon Walker did not retire, and the Raiders spending a roster spot, and all that money.. We feel that it was worth every penny..
    Long live Al Davis and his roster decisions.. We love you Al.. Please live forever..

27. The Centurion says: Mar 31, 2010 3:54 PM

Action Dan says: March 31, 2010 3:10 PM
    He was a class-A asshole in Green Bay
    He was a class-A asshole in Denver before the shooting
    He was spraying champagne bottles around AFTER the shooting.
    parts 1&2 TRUE, Part 3 untrue, good work, that was Brandon Marshall and Cousin actually. I don’t see why a team doesn’t just bring him to camp and cut his ass if he doesn’t work out, he wont command a whole lot of leverage at the bargaining table.

28. RFM says: Mar 31, 2010 3:54 PM

I remember word of Javon Walker being in a fragile psychological state around that time, reportedly talking about suicide and all that. It’s perfectly reasonable that Al Davis saved this prick’s life by keeping him in a team atmosphere.
    The rest of you haters can suck on Al’s diaper.

29. Mattchew182 says: Mar 31, 2010 4:00 PM

Maybe he can give some of that money back to the family of Darrent Williams who was shot for Javon being a dumbass. Oh yeah I remember reading how he blew off the funeral and was seen in Vegas that weekend spraying champagne still. Classy guy.

30. blacktoothgrin says: Mar 31, 2010 4:03 PM

suvantar says:
    March 31, 2010 2:46 PM
    Really? Can I bring that up in my next job interview?
    “I’ve never committed a crime, so you should hire me.”
    ***************************************
    I’m sure he is either refering to when Darrent Williams was killed or when he was mugged/beaten up in Vegas

31. theTRUTHwillSETuFREE says: Mar 31, 2010 4:10 PM

# the big bronco says: March 31, 2010 3:37 PM
    Please Raider fans, do not and I repeat DO NOT disrespect Mr. Davis,
    —————————————————————
    It’s pretty sad that after all of our terrible roster decisions we still kicked your ass last year isn’t it??? Nice choke job last season by the way…..keep the funny jokes coming Donkey!!

32. Raiders757 says: Mar 31, 2010 4:15 PM

If I recall correctly, Walker offered to give money back and wanted to retire as he said. The thing is, it wasn’t that Al “wouldn’t let him”, it was that Al talked him out of retiring.

33. Action Dan says: Mar 31, 2010 4:16 PM

# The Centurion says: March 31, 2010 3:54 PM
    Action Dan says: March 31, 2010 3:10 PM
    3. He was spraying champagne bottles around AFTER the shooting.
    #3 = TRUE
    here’s J-Walk doing the champagne spray nearly 18 months after it got Williams killed, and which subsequently got Javon hospitalized.
    This is why I have no sympathy for him.

34. Butt Plug says: Mar 31, 2010 4:21 PM

The Broncos suck. That is all.

35. LighTsouT says: Mar 31, 2010 4:36 PM

# Sasquatch says: March 31, 2010 2:55 PM
    # pedey01 says: March 31, 2010 3:03 PM
    ________________________
    @Sasquatch: Bears need to stop being stupid and give T.Holt a chance with a real QB.
    @pedey01: Maybe he’s referring to JarMarcus “Lethargic Addiction” Russel or Darren McBadden? How about that STUD safety taken, I believe it was, 8th overall named Michael Huff? Raiders sure do a hell of a job of drafting. Two best players they’ve drafted in the last, we’ll say, 10 years: Asoghmua (end of first round, great pick up) and Michael Bush (5th rounder I believe? what a freaking steal. I am actually upset the Rams didn’t take him first.)

36. seventy7 says: Mar 31, 2010 4:46 PM

I hope that Miami is willing to kick the tires on Javon Walker…you can probably get him on the cheap (similar to the byron leftwich contract in tampa bay) and if it doesnt work out, it will cost you nothing if you cut him before start of the season…

37. Wrathchild says: Mar 31, 2010 4:58 PM

Huh, how about that…zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

38. jb10 says: Mar 31, 2010 5:12 PM

the big bronco how are all those personnel moves working out for your broncos? when was the last time they won a playoff game? let’s not forget your team signed javon first.
    talk about some bad drafts? how about ashley lelie? jarvis moss? maurice clarett? willie middlebrooks? maybe marcus nash? great drafts by shanahan and company!

39. BigBenBangedBarbisBackside says: Mar 31, 2010 5:26 PM

Talent wise Walker is Gifted as hell…He is just a mental mess….If He could ever get his head right he could have been great! I wish he would have…amazing talent!!!
    Vikings should sign him to 100% incentive contract……who knows!

40. G MACK says: Mar 31, 2010 5:26 PM

what a putrid organization, the lions are better runned.
    GO LIONS

41. joetoronto says: Mar 31, 2010 6:20 PM

jb10 says: March 31, 2010 5:12 PM
    ==========================================
    Exactly. Big Bronco is a big jackass.