Brian Waters skips Chiefs offseason workouts, again

Guard Brian Waters, the 2009 Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year, has yet to report for the team’s offseason workout program, according to Adam Teicher of the Kansas City Star.

But Chiefs fans shouldn’t be alarmed.  Waters has become a regular irregular at the out-of-season lifting-and-running sessions.

“”I haven’t participated in the offseason program fully in five or six
years,” Waters told Teicher  “That’s nothing new.  I would never miss out on [offseason practice] because of displeasure with the team.  I’ll be
participating for sure in everything mandatory.  Everything else will be
my prerogative to choose if I’m going to be there.”

A year ago, Waters was displeased with the team, requesting to be traded or released.  After a meeting with new coach Todd Haley, the matter apparently was resolved.  Now, he said that he “definitely” wants to remain in Kansas City.  “Honestly, the truth is:  Whether I want to play for
the Chiefs or not, I want to play football and I have a contract with
the Chiefs.  So it really doesn’t matter what I want,” Waters said.

Though we already liked Waters because of his off-field charitable endeavors and his donation of both a Pro Bowl jersey and a signed, game-used helmet to the recent auction for Baby Mason, his comments reflect that he “gets it.”  Professional football players are grown men.  Grown men who sign a contract should realize that it’s a two-way commitment.

Plenty of pro football players don’t.  Waters, to his credit, does.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
12 Responses to “Brian Waters skips Chiefs offseason workouts, again”
  1. SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says: Apr 1, 2010 10:12 AM

More obligatory azz-kissing from Mike Florio to a player or coach or broadcaster who greases his palm with Vaseline.

2. Tony DeHoff says: Apr 1, 2010 10:12 AM

Waters is a veteran and knows what he needs to do to be ready. He will be good to go for the season.

3. Harm City Homer says: Apr 1, 2010 10:30 AM

It is not a two way commitment. The player has to “honor” the “contract” the team does not.
    The player should not even have to explain his “absence” from “voluntary” work.
    Waters knows his obligations, but it sounds like he would like to be let out of his agreement.

4. gooboy6 says: Apr 1, 2010 10:43 AM

Waters is a seasoned vet who needs family time, unplug time, get away from the grind time. He is an All-pro caliber on and off the field and he will be there for the mandatory practices like he said.
    NFL needs more people like Brian Waters

5. AZ Red Bird says: Apr 1, 2010 10:45 AM

OMG – You got PAID OFF Florio – YOU ARE worthless!
    Any and every player in the past you destroy for not showing up…most recently the SF players….
    but this guy gives you a few items for Baby Mason and ‘he gets it.’
    You are a (insert cuss word) sell out!

6. aDickRunsThisSite says: Apr 1, 2010 10:45 AM

im more impressed with his pitching in to help save an innocent kid than i am that he ‘gets it’ in NFL parlance.
    good football player
    better man than player
    who realizes ‘this could be my son’ whos in
    dire need.

7. Aso21 says: Apr 1, 2010 10:51 AM

“Honestly, the truth is: Whether I want to play for the Chiefs or not, I want to play football and I have a contract with the Chiefs. So it really doesn’t matter what I want,” Waters said.
    …. ah that really doesn’t sound like a guy that “definitely “wants to remain a chief, it sounds more like the truth which is he’s still unhappy being there

8. clintonrb says: Apr 1, 2010 11:09 AM

hes happy to be a chief,the whole team seems stoked to be working under the new coordinators

9. Common Sense says: Apr 1, 2010 11:41 AM

Who are the chiefs?

10. kcchiefs70 says: Apr 1, 2010 11:53 AM

Can the greedy owners not see that they are killing all pro vets like Brian before their time with 16 game seasons!! Lets move back to 14 game seasons. Thank you owners!!!!!!
    And now to the players union… All draft picks are signed to 3 year contracts. 3 million for #1s per year and down to 350,000.00 per year for the last pick. Thank you players union!!!!!!
    PS: Let me know if you need help with rounds 2 through 7.

11. War_Paint says: Apr 1, 2010 12:28 PM

“Common Sense says: April 1, 2010 11:41 AM
    Who are the chiefs?”
    The Chiefs are better than the Raiders, get over it!

12. dabarber says: Apr 1, 2010 1:08 PM

Yeah, like anybody cares about this crap–these guys are overpaid anyway…they should play 18 games!
    ___________________________________
    kcchiefs70 says:
    April 1, 2010 11:53 AM
    PS: Let me know if you need help with rounds 2 through 7.