Jimmy Clausen continues to describe himself as "loving" and "caring"

On Wednesday, Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen described himself as a “loving, caring person” in response to criticism of his leadership skills.

We’re starting to wonder whether he’s written that phrase on his hand.

In an ESPN interview with Jim Rome, Clausen once again described himself as a “loving, caring person.”

Jimmy, please.  Give it a rest.  You’re doing more damage to yourself with this “loving, caring” crap than Marty McShay could ever do.

Frankly, I’d much rather have an asshole prick rat bastard on my team than a guy who’d described himself on consecutive days as “loving” and “caring.”  And if I did have on my team a player who had described himself on consecutive days as “loving” and “caring,” I’d check to see whether someone replaced his vitamins with estrogen, Longest Yard style.

Permalink 71 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
71 Responses to “Jimmy Clausen continues to describe himself as "loving" and "caring"”
  1. marktg30 says: Apr 1, 2010 4:59 PM

[i]Frankly, I’d much rather have an asshole prick on my team than a guy who’d described himself on consecutive days as “loving” and “caring.” And if I did have on my team a player who had described himself on consecutive days as “loving” and “caring,” I’d check to see whether someone replaced his vitamins with estrogen.[/i]
    One of the most ignorant statements I have ever heard you make… and that is saying a lot. What a jerk.

2. I Hate You says: Apr 1, 2010 4:59 PM

Might as well say “loving guys in person”.
    Am I Right?

3. Poo Flinging Monkey says: Apr 1, 2010 4:59 PM

He certainly loves his Speedo.

4. holycow says: Apr 1, 2010 5:00 PM

What’s the problem?

5. Joel_mac5 says: Apr 1, 2010 5:00 PM

Loving and caring… Hope and Change…
    “Frankly, I’d much rather have an asshole prick on my team than a guy who’d described himself on consecutive days as “loving” and “caring.””
    That’s why Bill Polian picked Manning, and you’d have taken Leaf.

6. Draconian says: Apr 1, 2010 5:04 PM

Florio, you are a real shirt-head, criticizing Clausen for showing his feminine side….

7. brian forster says: Apr 1, 2010 5:04 PM

Wow… usually I roll my eyes when I see comments bashing you Florio, but this article is ridiculous and a non story.

8. Citizen Strange says: Apr 1, 2010 5:04 PM

So Clausen’s a Goddess spirited, shaman, nurturer? So what? Who cares?

9. Draconian says: Apr 1, 2010 5:05 PM

Hey Shirt-Head—Jimmy-boy’s just trying to show off his feminine side…don’t be a hater!!

10. The Hoff says: Apr 1, 2010 5:07 PM

+1 to Joel_mac5

11. Freebird2010 says: Apr 1, 2010 5:07 PM

Clausen is starting to sound like Joey Harrington and not in a good way. I can imagine Siragusa questioning Clausen at some interview in the future whether he’s a “champagne and strawberries” kind of guy.

12. pjhurley says: Apr 1, 2010 5:07 PM

Frankly…who cares? If the kid can play ball, which he has demonstrated that he can through his success in a pro-style offense, then who cares what he characterizes himself as? The only characterization that I care about is “winner” and that is earned on the field, not in interviews so, once again, who cares?

13. Chapnasty2 says: Apr 1, 2010 5:07 PM

Clausen is proving himself to be a giant flappy piece of woman genitalia. I refuse to swear on this website.

14. Butt Plug says: Apr 1, 2010 5:08 PM

Where all the dudes at?

15. Facts Domino says: Apr 1, 2010 5:09 PM

He’s two three things and two of them start with P-U
    NK
    SSY
    oh and the 3rd. O-V-E-R-R-A-T-E-D.
    I’d rather have his brother Casey @ 30 years old or whatever he is these days.

16. MitchBergerSaysKissTheRingBitch says: Apr 1, 2010 5:10 PM

I hate Jimmy Clausen as much as the next guy but you are starting to pile it on a bit much.

17. Freebird2010 says: Apr 1, 2010 5:10 PM

This is an April Fool’s joke…isn’t it?

18. SnydersLapDog says: Apr 1, 2010 5:11 PM

I wonder if he’d get more popular comments from the press/bloggers/readers if he described himself as “well endowed” and “flatulent” ?

19. minhw0714 says: Apr 1, 2010 5:13 PM

Too many Catholic school jokes to write in one place . . .

20. Clevelander says: Apr 1, 2010 5:13 PM

There is such a thing as reporting TOO MANY things. This article is proof.

21. Rev. Dr. HollywoodWags says: Apr 1, 2010 5:13 PM

Maybe he was talking to Brady Quinn about advice for trolling free agents…”free agents”.

22. NinerNation says: Apr 1, 2010 5:14 PM

The last paragraph was the funniest thing I’ve read on your site…and if anybody didn’t like it(Marktg30)…don’t come back.

23. mustbechris says: Apr 1, 2010 5:22 PM

having a bad day, florio?

24. Henchman #24 says: Apr 1, 2010 5:22 PM

Well, if he ends up in Washington, he needs to watch his back for Chris Simms. Kyle Shanahan might be susceptible to Clausen’s charms as a loving, caring guy.

25. Onderin says: Apr 1, 2010 5:22 PM

…is it wrong to be a “loving” and “caring” person? It doesn’t mean he’s going to start hugging opposing defensive players during the game.

26. prmpft says: Apr 1, 2010 5:23 PM

…overated qb – but he’ll make a great little scout leader -

27. prmpft says: Apr 1, 2010 5:25 PM

…or maybe he’s pre-loading – doesn’t want chicks to think ALL pro qbs are are bad…

28. iusedtobeteddybayer says: Apr 1, 2010 5:26 PM

And Charlie Weiss is a really huge asshole.

29. Bwa Ha Ha says: Apr 1, 2010 5:27 PM

Ben Roethlisberger, Now THAT guy is loving and caring!!

30. mnmaverick says: Apr 1, 2010 5:28 PM

Now watch Florio show you pictures of his son and run a libby auction for the Children’s Fund.
    Loving and Caring goes beyond words much like hypocrisy does.
    How can you rub our faces in it and then reprimand it?
    Is it Jeckyll and Hyde or what?
    Touchy-Feeley here and Satanic there?
    LOL

31. Andyman says: Apr 1, 2010 5:34 PM

Honestly Florio, what is wrong with you? First busting on Tebow for non-stories and now this. I mean c’mon…

32. David Bowman says: Apr 1, 2010 5:34 PM

You have a problem with that?
    You gotta calm down. I’d rather have wes welker than TO.

33. Matt Cribbin says: Apr 1, 2010 5:35 PM

Loving, caring, love guys(as some players do), just play ball and make your reads.

34. yoko166 says: Apr 1, 2010 5:44 PM

Are you gonna cry about it?

35. fleet10 says: Apr 1, 2010 5:45 PM

Florio, your hypocracy astounds me.
    Did you really just say that?? Your whole site is based upon the bashing of these athletes when they act like dildoes. Seriously, let’s just take today for example. How much “news” did you really report today? let’s examine………….
    1 inflated Donovan McNabb trade rumor
    2 Big Ben acting like a dildoe
    3 Shawn Rogers acting like a dildoe
    3 Santonio Holmes acting like a dildoe
    4 Leroy Hill acting like a dildoe
    and
    5 Joey Porter acting like a dildoe
    WT flying F would you write about without these “asshole prick rat bastards”? But Clausen says loving and caring and it’s taboo????
    But Tebow can call you and he, or should I say, HE, walks on water? Oh, look at me, I play football, that makes me qualified to tell the nation whether or not abortion is bad. Oh, I’m a Gator, I’m one of the “finest individuals to walk the face of the earth”

36. prmpft says: Apr 1, 2010 5:55 PM

…maybe he should throw in “nurturing & gay”…just to cover all the bases – you never know what these crazy coaches want in the mix for the huddle…

37. tatum32 says: Apr 1, 2010 5:57 PM

Phillip Rivers is a jerk, too. He WINS, though. As long as Clausen could do that, it doesnt matter. What the comments do reveal , is that he is bad with the media.

38. SteveC says: Apr 1, 2010 5:58 PM

Like Jimmy Clausen really cares what a run of the mill TMZ Football site thinks…

39. GirthyOne says: Apr 1, 2010 5:58 PM

Agreed. A nasty, kick-your-ass attitude is what teams like.
    He should say something like, “There are 32 teams in the NFL and one of them will benefit from my leadership, winning attitude, hard work and talent. “What’s his name, should keep quite when he doesn’t know what he is talking about. I haven’t commented on how bad his reporting is.”
    Shows confidence. Sticks up for himself and slams McShay by acting like he doesn’t know his name.

40. SterilizeTHenry says: Apr 1, 2010 6:21 PM

Joel_mac5 says:
    April 1, 2010 5:00 PM
    Loving and caring… Hope and Change…
    That’s why Bill Polian picked Manning, and you’d have taken Leaf.
    —————————————-
    Joel_mac5 just PWNED Florio.

41. jamesowen237 says: Apr 1, 2010 6:29 PM

I really don’t get what your problem is with this self-description. It’s really weird that it rubs you the wrong way.
    Daddy issues?

42. Ryan35 says: Apr 1, 2010 6:59 PM

Lol,
    Thats hilarious, more and more everyday do I see the jealousy that runs through florio’s veins. I think maybe baby florio is a victim of some elses bad Kharma. Poor baby never had a chance because his family is full of idiots.
    Kharma is a bitch and works in mysterious ways.

43. Playoffs?! says: Apr 1, 2010 7:00 PM

@ fleet10
    I agreed with everything you were saying in regards to Florio’s hypocracy….. until the excessive use of “dildoe”. And the exclamation point at the end “Boner”. Very questionable choice of words….just sayin

44. Florio-is-a-tool says: Apr 1, 2010 7:02 PM

“loving and caring” are code words for him admitting he’s a douche. It’s okay but daddy’s little cro-magnon is attempting to earn a living playing against some very bad men.

45. barnj37 says: Apr 1, 2010 7:10 PM

Ok Florio…you had your fun today. Now it’s time for bed so the adults can talk. What a vicious attack. Does Clausen have pictures of you with a unicorn or something?

46. porterbela says: Apr 1, 2010 7:12 PM

I don’t really care about Clausen. And this is just a non story. Are you really going to not draft someone because they say they are caring and lovable?
    Florio must REALLY REALLY hate Clausen. This is the second day in a row he wrote an article about these exact comments.
    Florio, how in the world do you have a job?

47. Osterhouse says: Apr 1, 2010 7:13 PM

“We’re starting to wonder whether he’s written that phrase on his hand.”
    NBC corporate over lords want you to insert that line?

48. porterbela says: Apr 1, 2010 7:15 PM

Really Florio? Keep up the excellent work. Dumb Ass.

49. Slow Joe says: Apr 1, 2010 7:29 PM

Clausen is starting to sound like Joey Harrington and not in a good way.
    ————————–
    IS there a good way?

50. LiLsWISHA says: Apr 1, 2010 7:32 PM

Thats not very loving or caring, Florio. We’ll just assume wifey isn’t putting out, which should explain everything

51. deaddogseye2 says: Apr 1, 2010 7:43 PM

What a puss. Does antbody remember Champaign and Piano playing Joey

52. Bious says: Apr 1, 2010 7:48 PM

Everyone knows what a prick he was at ND off-the-field and he did jack crap on it
    Never won anything and introduced himself to the world by going to ND like a douchebag
    It is his fault he has this rep

53. Joseferus says: Apr 1, 2010 7:48 PM

Coached responses to questions are always awkward especially when they’re repeated over and over to different interviewers, but this “loving, caring” self appraisal is odd, transparent, and a little desperate. This is a very strange QB class. The “pro-ready” QB’s like Bradford and Clausen are a bit disconnected and dull, but “project QB’s” like Colt McCoy and Tebow are the most comfortable in their own skin. If my team were at the top of the draft, I’d be praying they take the biggest monster available. This is a terrific draft for the big uglies, not the skill postions.

54. Ferrari_Driver says: Apr 1, 2010 8:10 PM

Florio,
    According to your requisites, you’d make an all pro quarterback If you had any athletic skills.

55. seven-turtles says: Apr 1, 2010 8:32 PM

Florio,
    What are you doing? Please stop trying to be the Olbermann or O’Reilly of football.

56. Drat says: Apr 1, 2010 8:41 PM

This is hilarious. Any follower of the site knows that Florio is deeply in love with Rome. He swoons over Rome and posts things from Rome’s show immediately. Florio and Rome share the same fake, put-on macho, the greasy hair, the too-tight suits, the tough talk, coming out of miniature wind-up bodies with tiny fingers. This Notre Dame QB exposes Florio’s little toughman act and fragile psyche.

57. WingT says: Apr 1, 2010 9:18 PM

Clausen’s comments are just so out of place and off the wall . Sounds to me like he’s just echoing what his agent is telling him or his mommy, lol.
    One thing for sure though, if Notre Dame had of had any resemblance of a defense , Clausen would probably be strongly considered for the 1st overall pick. The guy sure was cool under pressure and consistently lead his team back from being down.
    His best hope is to land with Washington – a team whose head coach has experience with dealing with a head case at QB – and Jimmy boy is certainly a case :)

58. DirtDawg55 says: Apr 1, 2010 9:36 PM

So Florio says he’d take rat bastard dirt bags over a decent human being any time … this from a guy who runs a turd watch and dishes dirt on every rat bastard out there.
    But we all know Florio is not a real journalist … because he will tell us every second post. Except for he is a journalist. Because … ah … that’s the point of a blog associated with NBC, isn’t it? Isn’t that why you get credentials to hang out at the Pro Bowl and Super Bowl and draft day and whatever other event the NFL is putting on. So, either you are a journalist and try to have some pretense of objectivity, or you stop doing what you are doing in the form you are doing it with the major media force behind you and go back to your basement and blog from there. Oh, sorry, I forgot. You are in your basement. Watching TV with Flacco and his mom. Sorry – couldn’t resist the Flacco shot. :)

59. oxycode30 says: Apr 1, 2010 9:55 PM

Ahh the Florio bashers are out again. A funny breed, methinks the average Florio basher is an overweight, out of shape, closet queen. Wearing flannel and drinking beer to appear to be a “real man” the average Florio basher in private loves man on man massages and reads interior design magazines. The whole “I’m a regular on the message boards on PFT” is cover.
    Bottom line (ooh, sorry to get you excited Florio bashers!) on THIS story though is that Florio is right. Clausen’s use of “loving and caring” is weird. Red flag time. I too would prefer a total jerk who can play football to Clausen (or the average Florio basher.) Perhaps the two should meet??

60. DoomsDayD75 says: Apr 1, 2010 10:00 PM

Yeah whatever Florio. You were talking mad shit about Tony Romo last year for reasons that were just as stupid. Don’t think I haven’t forgotten about that. “The Redskins will win the Super Bowl and the Cowboys will be terrible because Tony Romo doesn’t care about football”. How’d that work out for you genius? All Tony did was turn in his best season ever, win the NFC East for the 2nd time in 3 years and lead us to our first playoff victory in 12 years. And on top of all that, Romo is a genuinely good person who could definitely be described as “loving and caring”.

61. AJD says: Apr 1, 2010 10:31 PM

Sounds like you have questions about your man-card Florio. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

62. GaryClark says: Apr 1, 2010 10:34 PM

@DoomsDayd75–
    Go troll somewhere else to try and get a reaction. Your boy, Romo, would hate your gutts and rather see you shopping for a male order bride on a Russian Dating Service website. Romo loves and cares about your Mom’s funbags.

63. GoBrowns19 says: Apr 1, 2010 10:52 PM

Damn Florio, you been drinking tonight? Haha, I think a teenager has taken control of your computer while you’re out.

64. quadya says: Apr 1, 2010 10:53 PM

thats because your an idiot florio

65. pfii63 says: Apr 1, 2010 11:33 PM

Here we go again Florio…
    I understand that your image of a football player is a macho prick. Now please give it a rest. The guy is a human being and there is more to life than football. If he wants to show that he is more than just a player that is his business. Heckling it doesn’t make him look bad, it makes you look like an idiot.
    I repeat… give it a freaking rest.

66. mnmaverick says: Apr 1, 2010 11:48 PM

Just remember, Mike, you got your first taste of major media spotlight while covering half-time of NOTRE DAME games this past year. I wouldn’t be pissing on your bread and butter. You were basically put on the map with the major sports media through that gig.

67. spliffbunker says: Apr 2, 2010 1:50 AM

it would be kind of cool with all the new PFT technology if rather than pontificating in the studio they could go outside & throw a football…just to see their mechanics & such like
    dont want to offend any race or ethnic group but i would guess a very high % of the talking heads/media throw for lack of a better term like a girl…
    not sure why anyone would pay attention to Jim Rome anyway…does he still interveiw live or does he just rip in the safety of the studio? isnt he the guy that impregnated Nancy Grace…
    i do think there is a much higher % of loving caring people in the league than not…& it would be cool to see you interveiw any ” asshole prick rat bastard ” you want on your team…
    actually from reading here since 2005 you could probably fill out a 53 man roster & coach that expansion team in London…kind of like the Mariel Boat Drop…

68. SFrancis1680 says: Apr 2, 2010 8:11 AM

FLORIO, IF you’re going to get your panties in a bunch over Clausen making the “loving & caring ” comments two days in a row, what do you think about another high profile college QB CRYING on the sidelines in the final moments of a loss to Alabama? Maybe you’re in the wrong profession, & you should become an agent, what with the idiotic advice you’ve been giving Clausen & Dez Bryant in the past couple days.

69. Opie says: Apr 2, 2010 9:18 AM

@ oxycode30: So, you’re saying I’m above average……well, that is a nice and caring thing to say.
    As for Cornflorio: not sure what to make of your comments. I’m not a big fan of his description of himself, but your rant is a little curious. You rally against alleged “schisms” that are caused on a team based on the aforemetioned “rat, prick, bastard,” but then you pound on a guy who isn’t……
    Familiar with hypocrisy?

70. Rex Grossman says: Apr 2, 2010 10:26 AM

Mike Florio: ALPHA MALE
    The worst.

71. SterilizeTHenry says: Apr 2, 2010 11:12 AM

@ Oxycode: “Methinks” your post might be the gayest thing I have ever read.
    Aside from that, your football knowledge is garbage. This article is awful and totally contradicts everything Florio has ever written. He rips on people everytime they act like jerks, but then says he would rather a jerk on his team instead of a loving and caring guy.
    Why did he write it? It’s simple. He (and doucebag McShay) have a personal interest in trying to get kill Clausen’s draft stock. Nobody can convince me otherwise.
    Florio will praise Tebow everytime he does something “loving and caring”, but he crushes Clausen for saying he is loving and caring, which he probably isn’t. He is just saying that because so many people think he is cocky and arrogant and he is trying to rebuild his image.
    And McShay will harp on Clausen’s surgically repaired toe (yes, a friggin toe) for an hour before bringing up the fact that Bradford demolished his shoulder twice in one season.
    I don’t care who the better QB prospect is, but these two idiots are being completely unfair.