Rams scrap plan to have "neutral" doctor look at Sam Bradford

For quarterback Sam Bradford, his shoulder has provided the biggest unknown in the weeks preceding the draft.  The St. Louis Rams apparently believe that those concerns have been answered.

According to Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Rams have scrapped plans to have a “neutral” doctor take a look at the ball-and-socket in Bradford’s torso.

“At that point, [the shoulder) was such a big question mark,” Devaney
said Wednesday, per Thomas.  “Since then, we’ve talked to so many people that have
looked at him from other teams.  And our doctors — they’ve gone over him
with a fine-tooth comb — we’re completely satisfied.  We don’t need a

The development marks an impressive recovery from Bradford, who experienced a Grade 3 shoulder separation, which required reconstruction of the AC joint.

Lost in the fact that Bradford’s shoulder has healed are broader questions regarding Bradford’s readiness for the NFL.  He has operated largely out of the spread offense, like Tim Tebow.  And the injury came on a hit from a 234-pound BYU linebacker.  What will happen if/when he takes a square hit from a guy 50 pounds heavier, or more?

Bradford’s own weight gain may address some of those concerns, but his rise to the top of the draft board doesn’t mean that he’ll automatically be the next Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.

Indeed, Packers coach Mike McCarthy seems to have been more impressed by Wednesday’s workout from Texas quarterback Colt McCoy, who also has had to overcome questions regarding his health and durability.  “I like
this workout better from the fact I thought Colt was challenged
more in his workouts
as far as the type of throws,” McCarthy said, per the Dallas Morning News.  “I
thought in Sam’s workout, he was very accurate.  But Sam’s workout
was very controlled.  He didn’t do as much movement and as many
driving throws, in my opinion.

“I thought
Colt’s workout was more challenging. He had more down-the-field,
driving type throws, which personally, I always look for because I
think you get more information out of those.”

Once again, it’s hard to trust anyone, especially as the draft approaches.  But since McCarthy doesn’t need a quarterback, his words have a bit more credibility than others.  Still, at this time of the year, no one has much.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, St. Louis Rams, Top Stories
13 Responses to “Rams scrap plan to have "neutral" doctor look at Sam Bradford”
  1. tv says: Apr 1, 2010 8:55 AM

This dude just looks fragile to me. His history has shown him to be fragile too. My feeling is that no matter where he winds up, he will have a short career.

2. last starfighter says: Apr 1, 2010 8:56 AM

They need Doctor Nick Riviera.
    “Hallo everybody! Sam Bradford has the healthiest shoulder I have ever seen!”

3. FoozieGrooler says: Apr 1, 2010 9:05 AM

“but his rise to the top of the draft board doesn’t mean that he’ll automatically be the next Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.”
    Why would he want to be a choker or a cheater?

4. DC_Bengals_Fan says: Apr 1, 2010 9:06 AM

“Since then, we’ve talked to so many people that have looked at him from other teams.”
    I’m not saying they’re lying, but why in hell would you trust other teams about a player leading up to the draft?

5. Staubach says: Apr 1, 2010 9:08 AM

He may not need a quarterback, but he might like to pump up McCoy in order to have the option of trading down with a team in the early 2nd round that is desparate to land a QB.

6. DB26 says: Apr 1, 2010 9:10 AM

The last “Fragile” Oklahoma talent that was passed on by many is one of the top RB’s in the league with no injury history while with the Vikings. Peterson carried the same questions marks. Type of offense and injury history.
    I don’t think Bradford will disappoint, though, I think Claussen is the best QB in this draft. 2nd best Bradford/McCoy? Nope…. Jarrett Brown of WVU. Give this guy 2 seasons behind a proven professional and with a coach that can develop talent and he will be the best from this class.

7. Veritas Amber says: Apr 1, 2010 9:15 AM

Or maybe the Rams have just decided not to draft Bradford but to take whomever they can if no trade comes and try to get McCoy later in the draft? Or this could be an elaborate April Fools prank ;)

8. cheddar ed says: Apr 1, 2010 9:39 AM

Before you go too far on McCarthy’s praise, remember, he picked Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers.

9. ADogDC says: Apr 1, 2010 9:51 AM

NEws Flash:
    You can’t be the next Tom Brady if you’re drafted 1st overall…..He would have to come out of the one of the last 2 or 3 rounds to accomplish that…..
    Mock Draft 3.0
    1. Bradford
    2. Okung
    3. McCoy
    4. Spiller
    Book it!

10. MagicMan407 says: Apr 1, 2010 9:55 AM

This guy will need a very good offensive line.

11. last starfighter says: Apr 1, 2010 10:36 AM

# cheddar ed says: April 1, 2010 9:39 AM
    ————————————————————–
    Most people would have picked Smith at the time. Rodgers is a great player because he had time to develop, got good coaching, and was surrounded with solid offensive weapons.

12. finsbooyah says: Apr 1, 2010 10:52 AM

1 – J. Clausen
    2- C. McCoy
    3- S. Bradford
    Yes, I know everyone will say I’m stupid, but that’s just how I see it. I actually watched these guys play in college, and saw Colt improve year after year for 4 seasons.

13. shadowflames43 says: Apr 1, 2010 12:28 PM

As underrated as I see Colt McCoy (who should be an easy third, as opposed to a distant third), Bradford has all the advantages in build.