Colt McCoy says that Tim Tebow "can walk on water"

In a Friday appearance on The Dan Patrick Show, former Texas quarterback Colt McCoy spoke passionately about his abilities, in comparison to the other top quarterbacks in the draft.

And McCoy thinks he’s the best of the bunch.  “I feel like if you don’t feel like you’re the best quarterback in
the draft, than something’s wrong with you.  I’m a competitor and playing
quarterback is what I love to do, and I feel like I’m the best,” McCoy said.

In response to further questions (and, at the risk of kissing Patrick’s ass too obviously, excellent questions at that) regarding McCoy’s commitment to his excellence, McCoy elaborated.  “I think I’m better than every quarterback in this draft,” McCoy said.  “I think every
quarterback has to have that mentality.  You have to do that.  So for me, I
don’t compare myself to anyone else.  I tell them what I’m going to do
when I get there.  I tell them I’m going to work my tail off, I tell them
I’m going to do exactly what I did at UT.  I earned my job, I earned the
respect of my teammates and my coaches.  Nobody worked harder than me,
nobody was more prepared than me going into a game, and I’m going to do
the same thing when I get to the NFL.  It’s football, I love the game and
you’re going to want me on your team.”

Asked Patrick in response (and in jest):  “Can you perform circumcisions?”  He then pointed out that Tim Tebow can.

Said McCoy, “Tebow can walk on water.”

Though McCoy was laughing as he said it, we could see some folks taking issue with McCoy’s comment, especially since it came on Good Friday.  Others may appreciate the humor in McCoy’s words, and his ability to think quickly on his feet.

Permalink 87 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
87 Responses to “Colt McCoy says that Tim Tebow "can walk on water"”
  1. formerly dystopianow says: Apr 2, 2010 9:57 PM

That’s it! I’m going to need to pick up a Colt McCoy jersey.

2. alexr5111 says: Apr 2, 2010 9:57 PM

Isn’t McCoy REALLY religious himself?

3. joelvis72 says: Apr 2, 2010 9:57 PM

He may be able to walk on water but he’s got to wipe his ass just like every other schmuck on this planet.

4. billsfanaddict says: Apr 2, 2010 9:59 PM

luv it, hilarious, great timing

5. Setobakura says: Apr 2, 2010 9:59 PM

Aren’t Colt and Tim friends? Stop reading into things Florio

6. tonysservice says: Apr 2, 2010 9:59 PM

Tebow can also suck it.

7. ninjapleazee says: Apr 2, 2010 9:59 PM

McCoy see’s the light

8. billsfanaddict says: Apr 2, 2010 10:00 PM

…..and the circumscision thing helps him appeal to the jewish denomination also, covering his bases, smart.

9. Winston Wolfe says: Apr 2, 2010 10:00 PM

Well now we know that Colt McCoy can call an audible.

10. bullheel says: Apr 2, 2010 10:00 PM

Who cares what the kid said, have you seen his girlifriend? WOW! Colt good luck at the next level.

11. snapthejap says: Apr 2, 2010 10:01 PM

I wonder if the Good Ol’ Boys (and Girls) deep in the heart of Texas chose to look the other way instead of being off-put by the religious (misconstrued as) mockery by McCoy’s words in regards to Tebow. To me, he’s a good kid giving a VERY good interview (as he usually does on the Dan Patrick Show).

12. Bubby Brister says: Apr 2, 2010 10:02 PM

Not a big deal. And he’s right. The media worships him. It’s almost like all of this hoping and praying that he’ll succeed in the NFL is wishful thinking from a bunch of fanboys who don’t want to accept the fact that the guy they all idolize might someday be perceived as a failure.

13. FLYBOY says: Apr 2, 2010 10:02 PM

I hear McCoy wants to try the new “Ruthlessonfurburger” burger that’s going to be sold at Heinz this season.
    He wants to eat it before the game as he feels it’ll make him invincible.

14. CrackerJackson says: Apr 2, 2010 10:04 PM

sweet baby jesus

15. mustbechris says: Apr 2, 2010 10:08 PM

is “i don’t care” a sufficient response?

16. Albatross says: Apr 2, 2010 10:09 PM

I’m a Christian and I think all of it was pretty funny. Blessings on Dan, Colt, Tim, and even you, Mike. God created humor, and I think it was one of his top ten greatest hits.

17. Jersuza says: Apr 2, 2010 10:16 PM

Tebow and McCoy at best 3rd round picks. This draft is much too deep in most positions with the exception of QB.

18. mcgr8569 says: Apr 2, 2010 10:25 PM

Everybody better be careful because Tim is watching and listening right now…

19. Mean D says: Apr 2, 2010 10:30 PM

Still not a word out of Tebow’s mouth, and still non stop talk about him. Hey jealousy.

20. homerunharrigan says: Apr 2, 2010 10:31 PM

Well, it’s still a free country, so say whatever you want McCoy…. At the very least, the comment was clever.

21. litemater says: Apr 2, 2010 10:31 PM

oh no position on this? That’s a FIRST!

22. jaywon says: Apr 2, 2010 10:31 PM

And that’s why Colt will be good in the NFL…..quick reaction, right on point.

23. GaryClark says: Apr 2, 2010 10:37 PM

He can walk on water? He can suck at football too, something much easier to do! Tebow will be writing a sweet deal on a 0% interest for 60 months deal on a new Stang in about three years. Just sit tight.

24. oaklandx510 says: Apr 2, 2010 10:37 PM

You think he is saying that cause he is a white quarterback out of texas and jamarcus russell being clearly black and out of LSU and being a lazy, he feels he needs to show he cares rather than just having an excellent pro day and collecting a check like fat ass did in oakland….i wouldnt be surprised if oakland took a quarterback in the first round……or even a WR!!!!

25. AlanSaysYo says: Apr 2, 2010 10:40 PM

Forget the walking on water comment. This is what I’m more interested in:
    ” So for me, I don’t compare myself to anyone else.” “Nobody worked harder than me, nobody was more prepared than me going into a game…”
    To summarize, Colt McCoy doesn’t compare himself to others, he just knows that no one works harder than him or preps more, two things you’d only know if you made a comparison.
    What an idiotic thing to say.

26. Real Vikings fans wouldn't cheer for Favre says: Apr 2, 2010 10:44 PM

Incase anybody was offended, take a look at this small part from McCoy’s wikipedia profile and realize he has a sense of humor and obviously meant no disrespect.
    McCoy is a member of the Church of Christ, and attends Westover Hills Church of Christ in Austin, Texas.[134] When living in Buffalo Gap, Texas, Colt attended and was very involved with the Oldham Lane Church of Christ. McCoy has participated in a church youth group since 2002.[19] His work has included landscaping yards for the elderly, visiting nursing homes, helping with meals on wheels and ministry.[19] Fellow quarterback Tim Tebow said of McCoy, “I was really proud of him because I think he represents college football and his faith extremely well, too, which I really respect as well. I think he’s done a good job with everything he’s going through.”

27. ClownBurger says: Apr 2, 2010 10:46 PM

Florio is unaware that religious people have senses of humor too.
    Florio is a total ignorant ass on certain subjects.

28. tacious says: Apr 2, 2010 10:49 PM

Tattle Tale!

29. Craxus says: Apr 2, 2010 10:49 PM

OMG, Florio you really are the little kid on the play ground that hears one kid say something about another kid; then run over to the kid that was being talk about and repeat it and add a whole bunch read between the lines garbage.
    Tim, “Colt is a cool guy.”
    Florio, ” I heard Tim say Colt was cool. Not very nice since Colt is from Texas and it’s hot there, so he was referring to his personality. This is very bad sine it’s on April second. You know the day after April Fools day.”

30. ATLien says: Apr 2, 2010 10:49 PM

The only thing to take issue with in terms of McCoy’s interview is that he thinks he’s the best QB in this draft. Ummmm….no.

31. 8man says: Apr 2, 2010 10:50 PM

The NFL draft and evaluation process has evolved considerably over the years. It’s not the dart board science it used to be.
    That’s why Tom Brady was the 199th pick. Right where he should have been.
    Oops.
    Translation: we won’t know enough until 2015.

32. SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says: Apr 2, 2010 10:55 PM

Well I’m no angel now, I admit. I made a few bad moves, yeah, I shoulda regret.

33. WingT says: Apr 2, 2010 11:04 PM

This years QB class reminds me of the class of 83 (?) with Elway, Marino and Kelly.
    Bradford, McCoy, Tebow and Clausen – all could be great QB’s for a long time . Of those 4 I just mentioned, Clausen is the question mark. imo

34. Mooch says: Apr 2, 2010 11:05 PM

35. Sid Bream's Moustache says: Apr 2, 2010 11:13 PM

@Mooch
    Agreed. You would have had to chain Tebow to the bench to keep him off the field with that injury.
    Not a huge knock on McCoy… but I did question it at the time.

36. DG0122 says: Apr 2, 2010 11:17 PM

lighten up, Francis

37. AlanSaysYo says: Apr 2, 2010 11:23 PM

Mooch, I’m no Texas fan but even I know they wouldn’t let McCoy back in that game. The trainers made him throw outside the locker room and he couldn’t even move the ball 10 yards. Wasn’t his choice.

38. YawnFlorio says: Apr 2, 2010 11:31 PM

8man says:
    April 2, 2010 10:50 PM
    That’s why Tom Brady was the 199th pick. Right where he should have been.
    Oops.
    Translation: we won’t know enough until 2015.
    _____________
    Wonder what ever happened to the SIX players that the Pats drafted BEFORE they took a stab at Brady?
    Translation: PURE LUCK on their part in picking Brady, since if they really thought that he was SOOOOO good, they wouldn’t have risked missing out on him by picking the six STIFFS that they chose BEFORE picking Brady.
    REAL translation: Pure LUCK.

39. RossyRoss says: Apr 2, 2010 11:34 PM

What (some) people may not know is this, this draft overall is stacked. At really every position. Some that aren’t talked about at all are going to be serious studs in the NFL. So why do we keep talking about these dopes like MCcoy or Bradford, Clausen. Will see! It’s all a crasp shoot.

40. ItalianArmyGuy says: Apr 2, 2010 11:39 PM

Mooch@ “Anyone else think Tebow would’ve come back and played in that title game? I am not ripping McCoy for not returning, I just sense that Tebow would’ve.”
    =============
    EXACTLY what I’ve been saying for weeks now!!! Colt AND Bradford both decided to hang it up, based in part on considerations about not wanting to damage their draft prospects because of injury.
    You would have had to have shot Tim Tebow dead to keep him out of a national championship game.

41. Rasta says: Apr 2, 2010 11:52 PM

Mooch
    not unless Jesus told him to. Tebow is so blessed.

42. stadanko says: Apr 2, 2010 11:59 PM

Tebow could have returned and played in that title game because he doesn’t need his arm to run that offense.
    Funny comment by McCoy who is openly religious and friends with Tebow. I understand your scraping for stories this time of year, Mike, but it’s no big deal.

43. ceetown22 says: Apr 3, 2010 12:11 AM

non issue

44. burntorangehorn says: Apr 3, 2010 12:38 AM

Setobakura: no, McCoy and Tebow are not friends. Not even close. McCoy and Bradford each spoke enthusiastically about having become friends in NYC for the Heisman ceremony, but when the person interviewing McCoy on that then asked about Tebow, McCoy completely clammed up on the topic. He was quite obviously not a fan.
    But there are worse things to do than follow the “if you can’t say something nice” rule.

45. robert ethan says: Apr 3, 2010 1:12 AM

Who said he was joking?
    It might have been funnier if Patrick said “exorcism”, but I think the Old Sodomite wanted an excuse to pull out his penis for Colt.

46. yankeh8r says: Apr 3, 2010 1:12 AM

well i’m not one to defend florio much but why are u calling him ignorant and lacking humor when he acknowledged the comment was in jest and he deferred making an opinion about if it was out of line etc. he basically said here’s what they said and i have no comment – you decide. somehow this makes him ignorant? i think maybe you are ignorant craxus and clownburger.

47. yankeh8r says: Apr 3, 2010 1:14 AM

it’s all moot mooch. is that your spider sense or the force you are using to ponder things that never happened or ever will happen?

48. Pantherfan10 says: Apr 3, 2010 1:37 AM

Mean D says:
    April 2, 2010 10:30 PM
    ==============
    Tim’s too busy making commercials about saving rape babies and trying to change his throwing motion to one that isnt useless

49. Pantherfan10 says: Apr 3, 2010 1:40 AM

Mooch says:
    April 2, 2010 11:05 PM
    =============
    Have you ever tried lifting your arm above your head much less throw something after pinching a nerve and not being able to feel your arm? Apparently you haven’t
    Would you rather him stay in and possibly hurt his team more? Teabow can use his legs to bail him out as most of his big stats were rushing, McCoy relys on accuracy and is a pocket passer. 2 total different beasts

50. The Devil says: Apr 3, 2010 1:56 AM

good god – don’t freak out these religious freaks on EASTER WEEKEND
    Florio, these jesus freaks will come out of the woodworks and burn your site to the ground (in the name of god of course)
    Oh the bapists dont drink but they will mess around with their own daughter
    the catholics all like little boys – just like Michael (alledgely)
    this is all crap

51. PatricktheDookie says: Apr 3, 2010 2:06 AM

I’ve been saying it for awhile now – McCoy is going to be spectacular in the NFL.

52. QB_of_the_Future says: Apr 3, 2010 2:23 AM

I agree w/ Mooch…Tebow would have had to have a broken shoulder to come out. But their offense is different and they could get by with other plays. At the same time, I never thought McCoy was very tough, and he came up small against Oklahoma and Nebraska–those teams’ lack of a decent QB kept Texas undefeated until the BCS game.

53. AUBlitz says: Apr 3, 2010 2:27 AM

@joelvis72
    his agent has him rebuilding his asswiping technique to be more compact and to use a tighter release

54. Chg91 says: Apr 3, 2010 2:29 AM

lmao @ comparing this class to ’83.
    Also, who cares?

55. bamol says: Apr 3, 2010 3:45 AM

If, as he says, he does not compare himself to anyone else, how can he say he is the best?

56. FlyingHaggis says: Apr 3, 2010 4:45 AM

colt physically couldn’t throw mooch! and if tebow had gone in he would’ve lost, then cried and been laughed at even more than he already is every single day.

57. pghguyy33 says: Apr 3, 2010 5:14 AM

i like this guy already

58. Bob S. says: Apr 3, 2010 5:50 AM

What kind of @-hole would ask a football player “if he could perform circumcisions?”

59. Drat says: Apr 3, 2010 6:16 AM

Those folks who think Florio is not religious: ah, think again. He’s got his own hard little view of how it all works, expressed often enough here in sometimes overhanded fashion. His problem with Tebow is exactly because Tebow doesn’t fit his own very standard but earnest middle-America Christian view. The intrinsic humor of one’s own metaphysical beliefs escapes Florio.
    My view? I think Tebow and Florio are both lost in a child’s magic wonderland. Give me Santa Claus any day, it’s a much more sophisticated myth.

60. wvugrad00 says: Apr 3, 2010 7:08 AM

I listened to the interview, it was funny

61. BernardPollardIsAnAss says: Apr 3, 2010 7:55 AM

Man, would I love to see the Pats trade up just a little in the second to get this guy. He needs to add some size but it would be great to get him under Brady for two or three years and then let him take the helm. Going to have to happen sometime.

62. Boozman says: Apr 3, 2010 8:00 AM

colt is supposed to be a Christian, at least thats what he says. but apparently his jealousy of tebow overrides that…jeesh colt, get over him…

63. Starr1962 says: Apr 3, 2010 8:16 AM

I have no issue with the “walk on water” remark, and saw the humor and the “audible” in it. Still, all that confidence in his ability and leadership, with limited production does not fly. And, Mooch, I think that Tebow would have made a strong case to get back in that game. This is more of my senseless banter (see: compare apples to oranges). It just seems to fit his character. I hope Colt and Tim succeed in the NFL.

64. Popeye says: Apr 3, 2010 8:19 AM

i actually saw tebow walk on water and then he tuned my water to wine.
    Id draft him just because he can perform miracles…

65. NoseBleedFan says: Apr 3, 2010 8:26 AM

I can’t wait to see what this QB class is going to be doing in 5 years…I can’t help but wonder which one of them will be “the man.”

66. GoBrowns19 says: Apr 3, 2010 8:32 AM

If I die on a Friday, I sure hope they don’t call it “Good Friday”. I’d hope it would be “The Worst Friday Ever”.

67. Girth Brooks says: Apr 3, 2010 8:41 AM

I am amazed that saying “can walk on water” can be considered offensive! how about “shit doesnt stink” or “can do no wrong”. All the same.

68. Chg91 says: Apr 3, 2010 8:43 AM

Oh yeah? Well I’ve seen Tebow turn water into.. funk!

69. Mav69r says: Apr 3, 2010 8:55 AM

Isn’t there already a failed Tim (Couch) and a Colt (Brennan) in the NFL??

70. BigMikey says: Apr 3, 2010 9:05 AM

“Sid Bream’s Moustache”……truly the screen name of the day (two thumbs up).
    I can still see that guy rounding third, with them knees, just chuggin and churnin and diggin….
    Well played, sir, well played.

71. GoBrowns19 says: Apr 3, 2010 9:23 AM

There’s a species of lizard that can walk on water. It makes more sense to worship the lizard than a spaceman that was made up by middle east lunatics 2000 years ago.

72. medic406 says: Apr 3, 2010 10:16 AM

If you people (Posters, Florio, Colt, etc.) don’t cut out all of this backstabbing, Tebow may develop an eating disorder.

73. BigBear123 says: Apr 3, 2010 11:58 AM

Not a big issue saying it on Good Friday, it has been said enough to not be an issue.
    Funny stuff though.

74. pondbridge says: Apr 3, 2010 12:27 PM

“We’ll take no position on this one, deferring instead to those of you who may be inclined to comment.”
    Translation: ‘Tear ‘em apart, couch lizards!’

75. JaMarcus Russell #2 says: Apr 3, 2010 12:46 PM

McCoy is a pretty darn good quarterback, I don’t know if he’s better than Bradford but he is still real good and someone is going to steal him in this years draft

76. oxycode30 says: Apr 3, 2010 12:58 PM

Score one for McCoy!
    Tebow’s infantile attachment to superstition and fable proves to me that he is an idiot who has no business leading anyone, let alone an NFL offense.

77. Mooch says: Apr 3, 2010 4:10 PM

Seriously, I was not ripping McCoy – I stated that in the post.
    You Texans are so thin skinned.

78. Bob S. says: Apr 3, 2010 4:25 PM

I actually owned a racehorse, a mare called Walk on Water. She won a bunch of races for me, including in the slop.

79. Shamrock says: Apr 3, 2010 5:01 PM

Tebow might well be able to walk on water, but he doesn’t have the arm strength to throw a deep out.

80. gurnblanston says: Apr 3, 2010 5:34 PM

Draft Colt.

81. Bious says: Apr 3, 2010 10:46 PM

Anyone who took offense to it must lead a miserable life where they bitch and moan about everything

82. botchedextrapoint says: Apr 4, 2010 2:58 AM

Could almost see a Colt smirk with that comment. Love a bit of sarcasm!

83. Purple People Eater says: Apr 4, 2010 9:16 AM

Maybe Tebow can walk on water, but McCoy certainly needs to learn to heal himself. He may be good. Of course we never got to see it because he was always hurt. If he thinks college players hit hard wait til he gets to the pros. I dont think we will hear about McCoy because he is too injury prone. I think that otherwise he would be the best in the draft.

84. Palaceofsin says: Apr 4, 2010 11:45 AM

@The Devil
    “The moroms, well we all know the crap they sell up in SLC – No caffiene, NO CAFFEINE – oh wait, we own part of COKE now – drink more coke YEAH”
    Wait what? who are the moroms? I assume you mean the mormons, who by the way as a group do not hold any ownership in Coca-Cola(NYSE:KO).
    I’m not exactly what you might call a fan of the mormons but let’s at least get our facts straight when bashing them.. there are way too many true things to poke at.. like believing that god lives on the planet Kolob in the galaxy Kokaubeam.. good stuff

85. azure says: Apr 4, 2010 1:52 PM

We all know Tebow will be a horrible quarterback in the NFL….i still can’t believe people hold him high in the draft. HE CAN’T THROW…..HE CAN’T THROW. He can run…..that’s about it. HE CAN’T THROW.

86. utahphinsfan says: Apr 5, 2010 12:45 PM

re: Popeye says:
    April 3, 2010 8:19 AM
    “i actually saw tebow walk on water and then he tuned my water to wine.
    Id draft him just because he can perform miracles…”
    I’ve heard that St. Timmy can change water into (drumroll, please) Gatorade.

87. Joel_mac5 says: Apr 5, 2010 6:00 PM

…As we have already blasted religion at every corner because we are smarter than everyone else.