Dominoes yet to fall following McNabb trade

The trade of Donovan McNabb will define the rest of the Andy Reid era and the start of Mike Shanahan’s run in Washington.

Before we start thinking about history, though, there are a lot of short-term dominoes to fall.

First, Jason Campbell is no longer necessary in Washington.  Any teams that were connected to McNabb (Buffalo, Oakland, St. Louis) make sense as possible suitors for Campbell.

McNabb and Kolb are also logical candidates for contract extensions.  It would shock us if Kolb didn’t get a new deal before he takes over as the team’s starter.

We’d say that the Eagles are all in on Kolb, but they don’t have the most expensive backup in football in Michael Vick.

McNabb has only one year left on his contract and it will be interesting to see if the Redskins are ready to commit to him long-term.

Permalink 48 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
48 Responses to “Dominoes yet to fall following McNabb trade”
  1. Dustin Chandler says: Apr 4, 2010 9:41 PM

LOL! I can’t stop laughing at this trade!!
    hahahahahhahahahhaha
    *snorts*
    hahahaha

2. Akshun says: Apr 4, 2010 9:47 PM

gonna be interesting to say the least.. im excited for Kolb.. i dont see how in the world Shanahan wanted an older qb to start his Redskins career tho? If he drafted Bradford or any of the young qb’s in the draft he’s got a built in excuse for the next 3-4 years as a coach but with an older qb he has higher expectations now..

3. BigBear123 says: Apr 4, 2010 9:48 PM

Don’t think Shanny would have done it without getting some reassurance from Donny about an extension.
    At this time I’d bet #5 would take a pay cut for a chance at the 0-3gles twice a year.
    With an injury to Kolb Vick could start. Little is still unsigned, but likely to. Pacman is trying to come back. Stallworth just might start for the Ravens. Burress still has time left, but wants to return..
    My question is:
    What is the maximum number of active starters the National Felon League has had at one time?
    Still young but hard to recall so many high-profile convicted felons playing actively at the same time.
    So much for Warden Goodell taking a tougher stance on players.

4. kishcollageit says: Apr 4, 2010 9:48 PM

It is simple! They all will draft a QB!

5. cs_foodie says: Apr 4, 2010 9:48 PM

stupid. the eagles will pay for this.

6. weiserm says: Apr 4, 2010 9:49 PM

St Lois is the big winner in this trade tonight. Now they have the contract leverage against Sam Bradford. If he falls out of the first slot, he will not be picked atleast until the seventh slot or even worse.

7. DeeDubb says: Apr 4, 2010 9:50 PM

I can only hope Shanny is going to flip McNabb to someone stupid like Oakland. I’m still in shock. I hate the deal apart of me is hoping I’m eating crow this time next year. McNabb in the Burgundy & Gold…say it ain’t so!!!

8. rjaxx says: Apr 4, 2010 9:51 PM

What do you think RydenDonkeys?

9. WingT says: Apr 4, 2010 9:51 PM

Redskins win big time on this deal. Finally Dan Synder gets one right – of course he has Shannahan there to direct him.
    Skins will be the surprise team of 2010

10. marcpackman318 says: Apr 4, 2010 9:52 PM

i heard a crazy rumor where tha redskins would trade mcnabb and their 4th for tha rams 1st then trade cambell to the bills for their 2nd? im not sure who came up with that scenario but wouldnt that be some crazy sh*t lol. Sounds like something id do in madden!

11. sniperhare says: Apr 4, 2010 9:52 PM

Campbell in Buffalo, Oakland or St. Louis would get killed just like he did at Washington, he’d better pray he goes to the 49ers or Vikings.

12. JLM-Hokie says: Apr 4, 2010 9:52 PM

Like I commented earlier, I will call it now. The skins will package Campbell in a deal to the Rams to trade up and draft Bradford.
    They may offer McNabb a 2-year extension but McNabb is the gap filler between the Cambpell and Bradford eras in Washington

13. Dr. Michael says: Apr 4, 2010 9:54 PM

Why would they extend him? They can franchise him.
    Also, he will be 36 after the lockout…

14. WingT says: Apr 4, 2010 9:54 PM

Hey Florio, it seems to me that the skins need Cambell more now than ever, provided of corse he is willing to ride the pine

15. JaggedMark says: Apr 4, 2010 9:55 PM

If I were Sam Bradford, here is one domino that would fall.
    I’d do like others in the past (Eli Manning) and make a loud and clear statement that I won’t play for the Rams, period!
    He’s a fabulous talent that will get destroyed there, with no weapons and no line.

16. John says: Apr 4, 2010 9:58 PM

The biggest dominoes may be in the draft. No Clausen at #4. Two big effects:
    1. Where does Clausen now land? Buffalo at #9 may be the biggest beneficiary of the move if they coveted the ND QB (In my opinion, it’s more of a curse for Buffalo – I’m not a big fan of Clauson).
    2. Washington is now most likely to go LT at #4, meaning that all of the teams from #5-#15 that were looking at a LT with their first pick just took a big hit.

17. Chapnasty2 says: Apr 4, 2010 9:58 PM

Cant wait to hear skins fans defend McNabb after years of bashing him

18. Kelly says: Apr 4, 2010 9:59 PM

Redskins saw Clausen, said no way and finally pulled the trigger.

19. Bazooka Joe says: Apr 4, 2010 10:03 PM

BigBear123 says:
    April 4, 2010 9:48 PM
    My question is:
    So much for Warden Goodell taking a tougher stance on players.
    Oh Shut the F Up you racist hillbilly and go back to fondling with your daughter.

20. GaryClark says: Apr 4, 2010 10:08 PM

This is sweet…Love the deal..Now we build an O line and get a safety. Skins back for real..

21. theTRUTHwillSETuFREE says: Apr 4, 2010 10:11 PM

# DeeDubb says: April 4, 2010 9:50 PM
    Someone stupid like Oakland? We could of picked his ass up from you if we wanted him in the first place. Seems like the only ones that are stupid here is the Eagles Front Office, and their fan base for calling for this……..let’s face it you idiots got exactly what you asked for.

22. dasnider says: Apr 4, 2010 10:15 PM

I cannot wait for the skins to kick ass on the eagles with Donovan at QB. Go redskins. I am a loyal Giant fan who hates the eagles more than Dallas…..

23. Tre-nitty says: Apr 4, 2010 10:15 PM

Jaggedmark u have no clue what ur talking about. If bradford did that he would lose about 15-20 million guaranteed dollars. If he doesn’t go to stl, he would fall all the way to #7-9 at that point. U have no leverage at that point. Trust me, condon is on the phone wit stl right now negotiating a deal. What’s would u rather, 39-41 million guaranteed or 25 million guaranteed.

24. ultimateweapon says: Apr 4, 2010 10:16 PM

Crazy rumor? Thats freekin insane! You really think the Rams will give up the FIRST pick in the draft for McNabb and a 4th? The only thing funnier than that is getting a 2nd for Campbell!!

25. lithiumfx26 says: Apr 4, 2010 10:17 PM

Washington, the off season champs once again!

26. JOldewurtel says: Apr 4, 2010 10:18 PM

So the Eagles now have 11 picks in the upcoming draft…
    Rd 1 (pick 24)
    Rd 2 (pick 37)
    Rd 2 (pick 55)
    Rd 3 (pick 70)
    Rd 3 (pick 87)
    Rd 4 (pick 105)
    Rd 4 (pick 121)
    Rd 5 (pick 137)
    Rd 6 (pick 200)
    Rd 7 (pick 243 Comp. Pick)
    Rd 7 (pick 244 Comp. Pick)
    The Eagles and the Patriots (12 picks… even though most of them are in the 6th and 7th Rds) should be big time players during the draft… which they seem to be every year.

27. LighTsouT says: Apr 4, 2010 10:22 PM

# JLM-Hokie says: April 4, 2010 9:52 PM
    ______________________________
    that sounds like the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. So, the Skins would trade their #1, Jason Campbell, and what, a 3rd maybe to move up 3 spots to draft Bradford and make him the highest paid QB ever? They lose ALL leverage in making this trade. Shanahan isn’t so retarded. And for the record, I’m a Rams fan and I want Suh, so I’d actually like this.

28. bengals4real says: Apr 4, 2010 10:24 PM

The redskins will still draft a qb…this gives them a year to groom whichever one they pick,danny boy can afford this route he knows he wasnt going to win many games with campbell.

29. WingT says: Apr 4, 2010 10:26 PM

I say that Vick will now start to really press for the starting job. Not only did the Eagles just trade away a GREAT QB, but they automatically enabled Vick’s to become a big time locker room distraction.
    Vick’s gotta go

30. funi says: Apr 4, 2010 10:37 PM

Redskins will draft a qb with the 4th pick since McNabb will bolt to AZ or Minn in 2011( if no lockout). I guess it will be Washington at Philly week 4 on ESPN or NBC! Now Philly fans can boo him when he is winning game sand Kolb is choking.

31. ceetown22 says: Apr 4, 2010 10:37 PM

@Dr. Michael says: April 4, 2010 9:54 PM
    no cba means no more franchising players… unless they include it in the next one… but right now it’s not an option.
    __________________________________________
    @DeeDubb says: April 4, 2010 9:50 PM
    I feel the same way as you… I can’t believe, think it’s stupid but hope I’m wrong! Shanny/Allen know what they’re doing, right? Hopefully this doesn’t end up Jason Taylor 2.0
    __________________________________________
    CRAZY SH!T MAN
    good thing about this is – they’re def. going LT in the draft, right? and I hate that we lost our 2nd…. I heard first that we traded A.Carter and a 4th, I would feel better about that, but apparently not true… Hopefully J.Campbell to ? for a 2nd… maybe.
    HAIL SKINS!

32. ravensos says: Apr 4, 2010 10:38 PM

why would anybody trade FOR campbell?

33. QB_of_the_Future says: Apr 4, 2010 10:43 PM

Do the Redskins trade McNabb & a pick or 2 to STL for Bradford?

34. FranKtheTanK says: Apr 4, 2010 10:43 PM

Kolb is going to have pressure similar to what Aaron Rodgers experienced……….. Not quite as much perhaps…. but he’s no Aaron Rodgers.

35. Hauschild says: Apr 4, 2010 10:43 PM

WOW – the iggles made out like gang-busters!!!

36. ravensos says: Apr 4, 2010 10:43 PM

why would anybody trade FOR campbell?

37. Oakfan23 says: Apr 4, 2010 11:02 PM

Eagles fans call Oakland stupid?? Wow. This is a stupid move, withing the division?? LOLLLLLL. Oh, by the way, we beat the eagles this past season, who’s stupid now?? LOLLL

38. se18a29 says: Apr 4, 2010 11:19 PM

FranKtheTanK says:
    April 4, 2010 10:43 PM
    And Mrs. Rodgers is no Favre! :)

39. BroncoBourque says: Apr 4, 2010 11:21 PM

There is no way the Skins will draft a QB now, McNabb is only 33 so he should have at least 3-5 good years left. This move allows them to address their bigest need at #4 and take a LT. I think they will also deal Cambell for a mid-round draft pick or comparable player. With their defense and Shanahan and McNabb leading the offense I think the Skins will surprise a lot of people next year.

40. wee2424 says: Apr 4, 2010 11:30 PM

lol and how is campbell going to go for a 2nd round pick? I have heard some whacked stuff but that is right up there. 5th round

41. wee2424 says: Apr 4, 2010 11:32 PM

42. Hans says: Apr 4, 2010 11:43 PM

Vikes should have dealt for Don. I’d rather have 3-5 years of McNabb than 1 year (at best) of Favre.

43. Pastabelly says: Apr 4, 2010 11:55 PM

Why would anyone want Campbell? What’s he ever done? The reason Washington got McNabb is that Campbell is so freaking bad.

44. BDiddy says: Apr 5, 2010 12:23 AM

First, congratulations to Donovan McNabb. It’s been a roller coaster career in Philly, but overall he has been very successful. DC should be much less of a pressure cooker, which I think will be good for him and good for the Redskins. Shanahan has done pretty special things in the past with a couple of other Pro Bowl QB’s – Young and Elway.
    Second, this is a great deal for the Eagles. Their key offensive players are all young, they have a ton of draft picks the next two years, and presumably this will leave them with quite a bit of cap space to wheel and deal (assuming the cap is reinstated).
    Third, as far as whether the Eagles should have entertained this at all or instead tried to sign McNabb long term… It was time. He doesn’t fit the offense and he came up small at huge moments too often. Not to mention the ubiquitous clock mismanagement. For all the talk about McNabb always putting the Eagles into position to win the big one, the truth is that more often it was the Eagles who put McNabb in position to win the big one. He may not have always had the best WR’s, but he always had playmakers at RB and TE, a very solid OL protecting him, and dynamic defense/special teams units that frequently won big games on their own. At Washington, he will likely have none of those things.

45. DZskipper says: Apr 5, 2010 12:26 AM

—————————————————–
    As a Cowboys fan who hates the eagles more than the giants, skins, and satan combined, I also am DELIGHTED by the thought of Donnie lighting up the Eagles for the next several years.

46. lakedog19352 says: Apr 5, 2010 12:28 AM

Bottom Line: Redskins go 8-8 this year at the bottom of the division again this coming year. Book It!!

47. nothing says: Apr 5, 2010 12:45 AM

The youth movement in Philly has begun. McNabb will at least play 5 more years. Lets start guessing the next player Philly is going to trade.

48. MagicMan407 says: Apr 5, 2010 1:04 AM

How is Campbell bad? What? Hes young passed for 3616 yards 20 tds 15 ints and a good passing completion and passing rate. Hes a top 15 QB how is he not worth a 2nd or 3rd round? Mcnabb has more to offer the Skins immediately. Campbell is a pocket passer and not built for the offense. Campbell put up good numbers with no protection last year.