Hargrove signs tender; Saints say he'll return in 2010

Saints restricted free agent defensive lineman Anthony Hargrove has signed his tender offer, and the team announced that he’ll be back in New Orleans in 2010.

That Hargrove signed the tender is no surprise; it was reported yesterday that he would sign it today. But there was some talk that signing the tender would be the first step toward the Saints trading Hargrove, potentially to the Detroit Lions.

Now the Saints say that’s not in the plans. The team’s official announcement cites Saints Executive VP/General Manager Mickey Loomis as saying Hargrove will return to New Orleans for the 2010 season.

In 2009 Hargrove played in all 16 games for the Saints, starting six and recording five sacks. That represented a major comeback for a player who was suspended for the entire 2008 season for a third positive drug test.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
13 Responses to “Hargrove signs tender; Saints say he'll return in 2010”
  1. Smitty Gill says: Apr 5, 2010 3:25 PM

DAMN STRAIGHT……………..I’m Happy !!!

2. mikeyclaw says: Apr 5, 2010 3:32 PM

I hope the Saints choke on AH. I, a Lion’s fan , was never big on picking him up.
    Mayhew is playing the right cards, at the right time.
    Who dat?

3. Beave says: Apr 5, 2010 3:43 PM

I’m starting to agree that there’s some collusion going on. About 5 minutes before you posted this the Detroit/Seattle trade was announced and I figured the Lions were making room on the roster for a better DE.
    Not one poison pill since then, in a year there are A LOT of RFA’s, many young talented guys, and many were tendered at pretty low levels.

4. KingOkra says: Apr 5, 2010 3:45 PM

Nice to have him back. Much better than a third-round draft pick.

5. LIONPRIDE says: Apr 5, 2010 3:49 PM

So am I missing something here ???? We just got Sims and Seattle had signed his RFA! How is this any different other that N.O. coming out and ssaying they want to keep him I guess. If thats the case and we want him bad enough than get ready to swallow the poison pill! We dont have anyone they can pull the trigger that we wont be sad to see go anyway.

6. Calgaryhawk says: Apr 5, 2010 4:12 PM

LIONPRIDE,
    You may want to brush up on the rules of RFA’s. Once Hargrove signed his tender you can’t sign him to a contract poison pill or otherwise.
    Detroit can work out a trade with NO if the Saints are agreeable. If they want to keep him you can’t do anything about it.
    Seattle wanted to get rid of Sims. They were holding him out of all team activities while they tried to work out a trade. Sims only signed his tender to facilitate a trade both he and the organization knew was coming.
    Again, if the Saints want to keep Hargrove the Lions can’t do a thing about it.

7. MonkeyHustle says: Apr 5, 2010 4:17 PM

Lionpride … you know your my boy, so let me clear it up for you … the reason the Lions were able to pull off a trade for Sims even though he signed his tender is because the Seahawks WANTED to part ways with him, so signing the tender allow for the trade because as we all know you cant trade a player thats not under contract.
    Hargrove on the other signed his tender and the Saint WANT to keep him so there is no way to work out a trade

8. MonkeyHustle says: Apr 5, 2010 4:19 PM

there will be NO poison pill from the Lions

9. jasncondit says: Apr 5, 2010 4:30 PM

Since Mayhew is doing so well for the Lions I know dub the next who ___ slogan to be Who Yhew? for the Lions. First Who Dey with the Bengals, Then Who Dat with the Saints, and know Who Yhew?

10. LombardiSaint says: Apr 5, 2010 4:31 PM

mikeyclaw says:
    April 5, 2010 3:32 PM
    Mayhew is playing the right cards, at the right time.
    Who dat?
    I hope you enjoy choking on whatever Bust WR ya’ll choose in the 1st rd!
    LIONPRIDE says:
    April 5, 2010 3:49 PM
    That is a sad commentary on your organization.

11. awoods1906 says: Apr 5, 2010 5:04 PM

mikeyclaw says:
    April 5, 2010 3:32 PM
    Mayhew is playing the right cards, at the right time.
    Who dat?
    Well I have been quiet since the SB but it’s kind of hard to read foolishness like the above.
    Yes the guy had problems but has only shown improvement. Also, I could see why you wouldn’t want him – he only becomes the best DE on your roster – why want that?
    By the way to all of Lions fans not named mikeyclaw, the team is moving in the right direction.

12. Rez Burna says: Apr 5, 2010 5:17 PM

I like Hargrove. I’m glad the Saints plan to keep him.

13. BigEasy says: Apr 5, 2010 8:56 PM

The “poison pill”-Lions fans forced to buy tickets to watch that crap!!
    Who Dat!