McNabb's agent: Trade to Redskins "was the desired outcome"

The agent for Redskins quarterback Donovan McNabb didn’t answer directly when asked whether McNabb engineered his trade from Philadelphia to Washington by refusing to talk to other teams that were interested in his services. But agent Fletcher Smith did say playing for the Redskins was what McNabb wanted.

“Well, the outcome was the desired outcome,” Smith told the Washington Post. “Donovan has a lot of respect for the other teams involved in the process, and I won’t reveal them for many reasons, but when we sat down and reviewed all the opportunities, we believed Washington provided the best one.”

Smith said McNabb is happy to be working with Redskins coach Mike Shanahan and that he’s optimistic about agreeing to a long-term deal that will allow McNabb to play for Shanahan for years to come.

“I don’t know if it will happen, but I would say I’m hopeful or optimistic that a deal will get done,” Shanahan said. “Usually when you have a trade of this magnitude, teams want to get an extension done because of the commitment they’ve made to acquire the player. The trade was just consummated, and my first goal was to make sure the trade happened, so that’s where my focus has been.”

Said Smith of McNabb’s mindset now, “Donovan’s desire was to play for the Washington Redskins, that’s happened, and he’s very happy it happened.”

Permalink 47 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
47 Responses to “McNabb's agent: Trade to Redskins "was the desired outcome"”
  1. Ryan_Mack says: Apr 5, 2010 8:04 PM

Sad day to be an Eagles fan. One that actually supports their QB at least.
    I hope he throws for 5000 yards with 40 TDs and zero picks.
    But also a 3-13 record.

2. flavordave says: Apr 5, 2010 8:09 PM

CORRECTION: Snyders wallet was the desired outcome.

3. polakojones says: Apr 5, 2010 8:12 PM

with that oline, his desire will be to walk again.

4. robert ethan says: Apr 5, 2010 8:12 PM

Now why couldn’t Undead Ted Thompson of the GB Packers be as reasonable when dealing with a venerable team veteran who was being phased out of his starting role?
    Dumbass Packers probably could have gotten a high first round pick (Percy Harvin?) and more from the Vikings a couple years back for Brett Favre. Now they get nothing except cold revenge twice a year.

5. 1NationRaiderNation says: Apr 5, 2010 8:14 PM

for years to come….oh I see he is going to play in his late 40’s

6. snnyjcbs says: Apr 5, 2010 8:14 PM

And so is this Raiders Fan, thank you Donovan, thank you so much.

7. soberjoe says: Apr 5, 2010 8:15 PM

I’d wanna play anywhere else too if I was a great QB and the fans STILL hated me

8. Dustin Chandler says: Apr 5, 2010 8:17 PM

this is just bizarre. I don’t get it. It’s like Romo wanting to play for the Eagles…. or Brandon Jacobs wanting to play for the Cowboys.
    I don’t get it, but whatever…

9. oneGIANTloss says: Apr 5, 2010 8:19 PM

I’m still in shock that they traded him in the division. I know they claimed they wanted to do him a solid but they’ve paid him 100 million dollars plus millions he’s earned in endorsements that he got from playing in a big market like Philly. He didn’t even do them a favor and bring them a championship!!!

10. bmorefan says: Apr 5, 2010 8:21 PM

Bottom line is, if the Redskins O.Line doesn’t gel this season behind McNabb, he won’t last 6 games.

11. kingfenris69 says: Apr 5, 2010 8:22 PM

I would suppose he is extremely happy , it seems like most older players who are past their prime are very happy to make Dans acquaintance indeed. I maintain hope that this was a move made to package him but if not im hoping he can at least match his typical journeyman level of play for another 2-3 years while we find a franchise qb. We will have an awesome team on Madden next season.

12. toddm6d says: Apr 5, 2010 8:23 PM

McNabb’s a lucky guy.
    If he was playing for Unca’ Teddy *hic* Thompson he’d never have the chance to kick his old team’s @ss twice a year.

13. Fonetik says: Apr 5, 2010 8:25 PM

I think it was less “I want to play for the Redskins,” and more “I want to play in the NFC East so I can try to shove this back in Philly’s face.”
    The Redskins were just the only option in that regard. Personally, I wish him all the success in the world, but I don’t think he’s going to the Super Bowl any time soon…

14. WildBirdOffense says: Apr 5, 2010 8:30 PM

What a prick. “Class act” my ass

15. mann1976 says: Apr 5, 2010 8:36 PM

agent speak nothing more. if they traded him to a local homeless shelter the agent would have said the same thing

16. Elleclouds says: Apr 5, 2010 8:38 PM

Too much Mcnabb news. What’s the purpose? I understand we rarely see trades of this magnitude in the NFL, but this was expected by everyone who has followed the offseason the past few years. This Mcnabb overload will cause me to visit other sites for fresh news rather than this re-hashed Mcnabb crap. Either give us a break or report something worth reporting. Between Donovan and Favre, idk who I’m starting to dislike more due to all the unecessary press.

17. GaryClark says: Apr 5, 2010 8:41 PM

Love this move! Now we can get off of Clausen’s Stick and talk about more serious things…Like Albert eating Campbell’s sandwich…Not nice Albert…You will be traded if you do anything like that again!

18. eaglemafia says: Apr 5, 2010 8:45 PM

Jeeeez its sounds weird hearing that ” redskins quarterback donovan mcnabb” that’s just crazy sounding. Oh well good luck mcnabb enjoyed watchin u play and having fun at the same time. You really enjoy this game and that’s what any good team would want in a QB.

19. Ryyaaaaan says: Apr 5, 2010 8:46 PM

Speaking of agents and quarterbacks and all that jazz, when are you going to admitt that Gcobb.com was probally right about Kolb’s extension. Actually, I believe he WAS right because word leaked today that Kolb was unwilling to do an extension until he was named starter. Who mentioned this? YOUR SITE!!! PFT used to be so on point.

20. brownsfn says: Apr 5, 2010 8:53 PM

I’m so sick of hearing about McNabb already!!! I almost want to here some Favre news…

21. wwwmattcom says: Apr 5, 2010 8:56 PM

My desired outcome is send Campbell to Buffalo.

22. bluestree says: Apr 5, 2010 8:58 PM

Did Reid get Favred? Maybe Donovan let the Eagles know he could be TO on steroids if he wanted, and if they were going to get anything for him, they’d have to let him go to Washington (tampering?). One explanation for the trade inside the division is a gun to the head.
    No doubt, Donny isn’t worried about Snyder being afraid to pony up for a new contract. I bet he get’s a whopper.

23. NoKoolaidCowboy says: Apr 5, 2010 8:59 PM

Desired outcome? Sounds like McNabb is looking for that dish best served cold.
    A little revenge.

24. Fan of Football says: Apr 5, 2010 9:03 PM

Ted Thompson, take note. This is how you do it with class.

25. darthokeefe says: Apr 5, 2010 9:07 PM

Please..have fun in Washington Donavan…This suck hole franchise is equally as bad as the Raiders right now..with an owner who is meddlesome beyond believe…unrealistic fans…and a bunch of overrated veterans who make too much money to ever be motivated to actually do something unexpected …like win games ( that include the megalomaniac Mike “Pay Me” Shanahan…..Washington is just a place to go to get your last big paycheck and fade into obscurity

26. Jaydub says: Apr 5, 2010 9:19 PM

He wanted to play for Washington because…
    Say it with me, people:
    HE WANTED TO GET PAID
    He knows where the free and easy money is. One look at Haynesworth and it was a done deal.

27. GaryClark says: Apr 5, 2010 9:27 PM

@Darthokeefe–
    What happened? Your anti depression Rx just expired? Geeez dude…Get a hobby away from football. You need it. Try chicks!

28. edgy1957 says: Apr 5, 2010 9:30 PM

oneGIANTloss says:
    He didn’t even do them a favor and bring them a championship!!!
    ***************************
    After Norm Van Brocklin led the Eagles to a championship, he came the closest to doing so (21-24 vs 10-27 for the guy who jealously blasts him, Jaws).

29. dogma1 says: Apr 5, 2010 9:37 PM

Redskins have the worst O-Line in football, good luck McNabb.

30. jackybadass says: Apr 5, 2010 9:39 PM

i feel bad for you donavan having to play for scamaham! you have no recievers like you had in filly. you are screwed ! tell danny boy to get you some help. just take his moneyand let freddy call the plays!

31. FloriosLegHair says: Apr 5, 2010 9:52 PM

Nothin wrong wiv wantin’ to git paid

32. Beer Cheese Soup says: Apr 5, 2010 9:57 PM

Fan of Football says:
    Ted Thompson, take note. This is how you do it with class.
    ____________________________________
    Right. Ted doesn’t take note of anything that he doesn’t come up with himself. He can’t learn from his mistakes or emulate others’ successes, his ego won’t let him.
    I did like how you were able to put “Ted Thompson” and “class” in the same paragraph though. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone else be able to do that.

33. waterboy says: Apr 5, 2010 10:04 PM

The Eagles are about to go back to being the bottom feeders that they were prior to McNabb getting there! I’m glad to see this move I’ve never liked the Eagles!!

34. MagicMan407 says: Apr 5, 2010 10:07 PM

The Redskins really just need a left tackle. There seems to be a few tackles in FA which could play right tackle if needed too. But, I love hearing all the hate for the Redskins cracks me up! The same people that wished to GOD Mcnabb would be playing for thier team. I never even wanted Mcnabb because I hate him for being an Eagle. I just hope Campbell gets to a decent team and you idiots who down Campbell just wait.

35. jpk6044 says: Apr 5, 2010 10:26 PM

Given the choice of playing for Mike Shanahan and the Redskins, Tom Cable (dead man walking…) and the Raiders or Chan Gailey and the Bills, well, it’s an easy decision and you can’t fault McNabb for making it…Plus the Redskins had the highest second round pick of the three.
    But Andy Reid is an idiot.

36. notag says: Apr 5, 2010 10:37 PM

i think culpepper had 5 tds against dolphins the year they released him. i hope mcnabb has 7 bolth games. he never had anyone to help (recievers or a real rb). what a loss for philly ..

37. Fan of Football says: Apr 5, 2010 10:39 PM

Jaydub says: April 5, 2010 9:19 PM
    He wanted to play for Washington because…
    Say it with me, people:
    HE WANTED TO GET PAID
    And what of the Raider’s fiscal past lead you to believe he wouldn’t with them?

38. Floriosadouchebag says: Apr 5, 2010 10:50 PM

I can’t wait for Donovan to stick it to the front running Philly fans for years to come. Lowell Rikert and the rest of the Eagles fans better get use to last place.

39. Tdk24 says: Apr 5, 2010 11:40 PM

As much as i wanted to see him in silver and black, i have to thank Mr. Davis for not giving up that much for him. Eagles were obviously desperate to unload him to make a deal with the skins.

40. encinitasraider says: Apr 6, 2010 12:15 AM

yeah…he will do great…lol.
    the Redskins have no running game and no oline….they have 1 wr….and a TE comming back from injury……The Redskins will be lucky to be 4-12

41. bobinpuertorico says: Apr 6, 2010 12:39 AM

Having been a McNabb fan since his days at Syracuse, I hope he enjoys his time with Washington. However, the Bills with Chan Gailey will win more games this year than the Redskins with Shanahan.

42. P-way Eagles says: Apr 6, 2010 1:26 AM

Oakland woulda payed him the money too…Oakland is just a mess, and i think he loved the fact that he gets a chance at revenge. Washington is so close to philly too.

43. FMWarner says: Apr 6, 2010 2:42 AM

WildBirdOffense says: April 5, 2010 8:30 PM
    What a prick. “Class act” my ass
    _____________________________________
    Exhibit A for why he wanted the hell out of there. The guy is consistently one of the 5 best QBs in the NFL for most of his career and is still one of the 10 best, and what does he get for his trouble? People siding with T.O. and even Vick against him, and a foot in the ass on the way out the door.
    I’m an Eagles fan, through and through. And I hope they go 14-2 next year. Enough wins to get the #1 seed and two choice losses to shut the fans the hell up. Pay attention, Kevin Kolb. You’re next.

44. FMWarner says: Apr 6, 2010 2:43 AM

WildBirdOffense says: April 5, 2010 8:30 PM
    What a prick. “Class act” my ass
    _____________________________________

45. We need linemen says: Apr 6, 2010 7:33 AM

MagicMan407 says:
    April 5, 2010 10:07 PM
    “The Redskins really just need a left tackle.”
    I think that’s a tad optimistic.
    We have a huge need a left tackle. Right tackle needs a massive upgrade. I’d love to believe that Heyer is suddenly going to turn into competent tackle, but he just doesn’t have the athletic ability. Hicks couldn’t start for the Vikings but is probably our best right guard. Dockery, at left guard, is huge and slow, seems a poor fit for Shanahan’s zone blocking schemes. Rabach has been poor for the last couple of years. The change in scheme might actually suit him better but he is getting pretty old and is starting from a low baseline.
    The o-line was very poor last year. It’s not one player away from working, it’s four or five.
    I am really hoping I’m wrong but I think we really need to get lucky in the draft and with undrafted rookie free agents if we are going to have an o-line good enough to keep a quarterback upright for more than 2-seconds.

46. Raiders757 says: Apr 6, 2010 8:50 AM

Dustin Chandler says: April 5, 2010 8:17 PM
    I don’t get it, but whatever…
    ————————————————–
    I think playing for Mike Shanahan may have had more to do with it that the actual team itself. Then there’s that reputation of the Skins owner throwing around cash like grows on trees. Add those tow together and it’s easy to see why he’s happy to be a Redskin.

47. Raiders757 says: Apr 6, 2010 8:57 AM

jpk6044 says: April 5, 2010 10:26 PM
    But Andy Reid is an idiot.
    ————————————————–
    I agree, but the thing your forgetting here, is that it wasn’t his decision to make. The team with the highest bid was where he was going to end up. His agent is just saying he got his preferred outcome.
    Also, there is still no real evidence as to who the other teams involved were. It not have been just the Bill and the Raiders. Hell, some of the more trusted Raiders beat writers are claiming the Raiders weren’t even all that involved, or all that interested.