Rob Sims declares Detroit to be a "football town"

In his first press conference as a member of the Lions, guard Rob Sims compared his new city to his old one, Seattle.

This is a football town,” Sims said Tuesday, per John Niyo of the Detroit News.  “Cleveland,
Pittsburgh, Detroit.  I mean, that’s football.  Football and cars.  This is
more of what I’m accustomed to.  Out there [in Seattle] the stars are
Bill Gates and Paul Allen and the people that run Boeing. This here is
what being in the NFL is supposed to be about, [standing] up here at the
mic talking to reporters and stuff.  In Seattle, it’s not like that.  It’s drinking coffee, sittin’ down and chit-chatting.  This is a change,
but it’s a change that I’ve been looking forward to.”

It’s unclear how long Sims will be playing in his new football town.  He’s operating under a one-year tender offer that he signed last week, with no current negotiations regarding an extension.

“Right now, we’re not talking about anything,” Sims said.  “Hopefully, I
can prove to them that I deserve one.  I would like to be here long-term.
I hope this isn’t just one year and out.  But I’ve got to earn that.
I’ve got to come in here and show them that I belong and show them I can
be here for a long time.”

The Lions had better be careful.  If they get too many guys who think like Sims, they may actually win more games than they lose.

Permalink 103 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
103 Responses to “Rob Sims declares Detroit to be a "football town"”
  1. Fonetik says: Apr 6, 2010 11:52 PM

Exactly how hard is it to earn a contract extension for the Detroit Lions?

2. jb1996 says: Apr 6, 2010 11:55 PM

wut the hell is he on cuz im sure detroit fans would love some of it

3. lionsfan82 says: Apr 6, 2010 11:57 PM

Ya damn straight Detroit is a football town! Just cuz we had in idiot in our front office for a whole decade does not mean we don’t love our football…

4. QB_of_the_Future says: Apr 6, 2010 11:59 PM

Out there [in Seattle] the stars are Bill Gates and Paul Allen and the people that run Boeing. This here is what being in the NFL is supposed to be about, [standing] up here at the mic talking to reporters and stuff. In Seattle, it’s not like that. It’s drinking coffee, sittin’ down and chit-chatting
    As a transplant to the Seattle area…yeah, he’s right. It’s just not as engrained in the culture. But Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Detroit (his examples) have had teams for what, 50 and 77 and 77 years? New York and Washington for as long, Green Bay and Chicago for longer than that.
    Did anyone tell him, though, that Detroit is actually HOCKEYTOWN? I mean, it says so at the Joe.

5. BALLHAWK says: Apr 6, 2010 11:59 PM

6. VASeahawk says: Apr 7, 2010 12:00 AM

Well, he didn’t show anything in Seattle, so better luck in Detroit with its barely three-fourths full dome, raging unemployment, hopelessness, crime, and blight. Seattle not a football town? Maybe THAT was his problem in Seattle, his vision is so poor he couldn’t see the packed house every week and too hard of hearing to hear the 12th man. Glad the Giants O-line could hear them.

7. Raider Pride says: Apr 7, 2010 12:04 AM

Does he even know that Detroit has “The Red Wings” and it is Hockey Town USA?
    He sounds like a bad car sales person, making original contact , with a client, on the cracked black top of a degenerating auto industry city.
    If he sells this sales pitch, he will be able to buy one of those homes in Detroit that are selling for $1,500 dollars as long as one is willing to kick out the crack addict squatters and replace the broken windows.
    Yep… Detroit is a far better city than the beautiful emerald city of Seattle.

8. raiders177 says: Apr 7, 2010 12:05 AM

But I thought Detroit is HockeyTown

9. CanadianVikingFan says: Apr 7, 2010 12:12 AM

Hopefully they can get at least 6 or 8 wins this season. Division opponents or not, it’s sad to see the Lions constantly lose and the city continue to go down hill. Hell it would be cool to see them come second, behind Minnesota of course.

10. LombardiSaint says: Apr 7, 2010 12:15 AM

jb1996 says:
    April 6, 2010 11:55 PM
    wut the hell is he on cuz im sure detroit fans would love some of it
    I have been to the Silverdome.
    You can buy crack from the ushers.

11. Passrusher76 says: Apr 7, 2010 12:15 AM

Detroit is the biggest sesspool in the U.S.. One large dump

12. Poo Flinging Monkey says: Apr 7, 2010 12:18 AM

“This is a football town.”
    Translation: “The Lions were my only option!”

13. MrKasualHawk1 says: Apr 7, 2010 12:19 AM

Rob Sims is a Bust! He doesn’t know what he’s talking about when it comes to playing football. He actually called detroit a football town? Please. He is injury prone and won’t last 2 seasons. Good Luck!

14. Kevin C says: Apr 7, 2010 12:19 AM

Seattle is the worst city in the country? Really? Seattle is beautiful, laid-back, and clean. I’ve seen people in Detroit throw trash out of their apartment windows. It’s run-down and everyone with money is leaving or left already. Just like every other city in the mid-west, with the exception of Chicago.
    Fonetik… I don’t think you have ever been to Seattle. You’re an idiot.

15. jimmy_b says: Apr 7, 2010 12:21 AM

So he is glad to be a Detroit Lion? He must be high.

16. nyj-gate D says: Apr 7, 2010 12:23 AM

actually Detroit’s nickname is “hockeytown” but at least Sims was close with “football town”

17. Annuvin says: Apr 7, 2010 12:24 AM

The only reason you ever mention football in Detroit is if you are looking to get your ass kicked.

18. pacificamike says: Apr 7, 2010 12:27 AM

With a solid draft, i think we’re lookin at 8 wins in the D next season.

19. PRIDEin253 says: Apr 7, 2010 12:32 AM

@Fonetik
    Yeah, you’re right, Seattle is the worst city in the country. And man, you’ve got such a finger on the pulse of everything that every Seattleite does. You must be some kind of domestic Rick Steves or something.
    Ignorant prick. Where are you from, anyway?

20. chewy724 says: Apr 7, 2010 12:38 AM

Yes, I would love to work in a town where Ford and GM are my options instead of Microsoft and Boeing. I would love to own a $50k home instead of $500k. And who wouldn’t want to be in Top 5 murder market in the country.

21. G MACK says: Apr 7, 2010 12:44 AM

man if we get Suh, or okung were are one year away from winning the division…..2011 believe it bastards

22. Jamarcus says: Apr 7, 2010 12:46 AM

Whatever he is on, they have it in Detroit.

23. sergep says: Apr 7, 2010 1:02 AM

Rob is a Douche… I fly to seattle twice a year, and i’d rather have a house there on Mercer Island then a house in Detroit Cleveland and Pitsburg combined. Yes there is a starbucks there its all business when i go there, Cleveland and Detroit dont compare to Qwest Field he is on crack.

24. Laracco says: Apr 7, 2010 1:07 AM

Seattle the worst city in the country?!?!?! Classic. Nicest city in America when the sun is shining…..and that’s alot more than people know about. It rains more in Boston than here and the people are much more friendly. I rather be around a bunch of dirty hippies than the A-holes on the East Coast that think that they are better than everyone else. Please, please , please stay away.
    And Rob Sims is high. He knows for a fact that this is a great place for football. 12th man idiot. Good luck in Detroit loser.

25. MrKasualHawk1 says: Apr 7, 2010 1:11 AM

He’s a bust and his comments show for it.
    Detroit a football town? Not since Barry S. Long time ago.
    Come on Rob. Quit kissing A** and Play hard. Injury Prone and lack of football knowledge . Good Luck!

26. DINO says: Apr 7, 2010 1:20 AM

i’m shocked they r not trying to extend his contract… get him cheap before he performs above expectations… we finally have a legit left guard.. I don’t see Mayhew getting such a great deal only to lose him in a year… sign him

27. SINCITYCHEEZE says: Apr 7, 2010 1:20 AM

I know 1000 or more fans over at Seahawkblue.com that will disagree with you Mr. Sims.

28. JayZee32 says: Apr 7, 2010 1:22 AM

I grew up in Seattle and I always enjoy hearing the same tired stereotypes regurgitated from people who’s frame of reference on the city is solely based on never walking more than four blocks from their downtown hotel. Although you forgot to mention how much it rains here – come on man! Rob can bench press a lot but other than that his other unique skills were consistently letting his man get to the QB or missing assignments. At least now he’s going to a real football town where he can get regular drip for $1.

29. FumbleNuts says: Apr 7, 2010 1:27 AM

Seattle has a sewer pipeline that ends in Detroit.

30. bronco_TD says: Apr 7, 2010 1:27 AM

Now they just need a football team and they’ll be good to go.

31. 1up says: Apr 7, 2010 1:36 AM

I travel a lot for work too and have been to both cities on more then one occasion. Lets just say that between Detroit and Seattle, well the latter would be the choice every time, even if it takes twice as long to get out there.

32. Tom says: Apr 7, 2010 1:47 AM

Fonetik you are an Idiot! You must not have gotten a chance to know Seattle (One of the best and most beautiful city, and surrounding areas in the country) We do have annoying hippies and stuck up snobs but we also have some die hard fans. Can tell you I have been to football games in Chicago, San Francisco, Arizona and Miami and the Hawk fans are much better. In Chicago they didn’t even want anyone to stand up and get in the way of their seat. I would much prefer live in Seattle then a 15000$ home in Detroit. For the record I have a good job wash every day and drink Folgers coffee. So Shut the F up!

33. Wukong says: Apr 7, 2010 2:00 AM

I thought Detroit was an economically depressed, decaying, crime ridden, dying town. But I guess that play something sort of like football there, too.

34. NoHomeTeam says: Apr 7, 2010 2:25 AM

Fonetik says: “He is right about Seattle, though. I’m out there several times a year for business, and it’s, bar none, the worst city in the country. Bunch of unwashed hippies drinking $4 frappuccinos….”
    I’ll have to guess that you don’t actually get to a lot of places, Fone, if you truly believe that Seattle is the worst city in America. My experiences in the city have always been positive. It’s got Arts, fine dining, professional sports . . . and in case you hadn’t noticed, you can get a $4 frappuccino in just about any city with a population of 35k+. I’ve never been accosted by the “unwashed hippies” that seem to bother you so much, either.
    Maybe we just frequent different parts of the city.
    I think I will decline to start throwing stones here, but I’ve been to more than a handful of cities, both major and minor, that rate quite a bit lower on the quality of life scale than Seattle.

35. wee2424 says: Apr 7, 2010 3:47 AM

I bet he won’t be happy after they win 4 games and the fans put paper bags over their heads

36. Igottz5onit says: Apr 7, 2010 4:04 AM

Really? You definitely wouldn’t think that Seattle is a bunch of latte drinking whiners since they never cry about how they think they got robbed in super bowl XL despite the actual game showing otherwise… oh wait…

37. Colts18 says: Apr 7, 2010 4:22 AM

It truly is depressing up here in Seattle, I cant wait to go back to Cali. Bikini Clad girls never gets old

38. metaldeth says: Apr 7, 2010 5:39 AM

The way he plays, no wonder nobody in Seattle cares about football anymore. Now he’s gone Seattle can start getting some decent offensive linemen

39. purpleman527 says: Apr 7, 2010 6:41 AM

“The Lions had better be careful. If they get too many guys who think like Sims, they may actually win more games than they lose.”
    ————————————————
    LOL !!!
    I lived in Lion country for 11 years. I was forced to watch the Lions every week, and laughing while I watched. (I was too cheap to buy Sunday Ticket)
    Florio’s statement is dead on !!

40. last starfighter says: Apr 7, 2010 6:43 AM

I realize it’s tough to blame them but here in Detroit, alot of fans have supposedly forsaken football saying they will never support the Lions again. If the lions are competetive again in a couple years do you think they’ll jump on the bandwagon? They only sold out a couple games last year. Even though the economy is down, even lowly U. of Michigan is selling out the 100,000 seat big house.

41. GoBrowns19 says: Apr 7, 2010 6:54 AM

He’s right…the northern half of the east and midwest are NFL country. Everyone else is just a team.

42. FAS says: Apr 7, 2010 7:01 AM

Of course it is, like Chicago is a baseball town.

43. wryly1 says: Apr 7, 2010 7:08 AM

As someone who lived in Motown for nearly 20 years, I can tell you it is absolutely WAY more of a Basketball, Hockey and Baseball town than it is for football.

44. Munze Konza says: Apr 7, 2010 7:11 AM

Actually the stars in Seattle are Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Jimi Hendrix and people cut down trees. The boats from the ‘Deadliest Catch’ are harbored in Seattle. But when you make as much money as he was you may not associate with the working class of Seattle.
    I think what he meant was ‘Dedtroit is more blue collar’. Although the heroes in Detroit are Lee Iacoca, Ford, and other CEO’s right Mr. Sims?
    Nothing non-football about Seattle. Nothing non-football about Detroit. It all is a matter of perspective.

45. JakeDSnake says: Apr 7, 2010 7:21 AM

The easy thing would be to zing Detroit here, but I got to give Motown some credit: year after year after year of losing and still the Lions have a base to build a new stadium and …oh wait, Arizona had the same thing but actually started winning in the new digs. Ah well, with all the unemployed mid-20th century skilled workers Detroit has, there won’t be any need for Sims to be worrying about folks walking around with expensive lattes.

46. DirtMcGirt38 says: Apr 7, 2010 7:39 AM

@Fonetik:
    Sure, because only in Seattle do people go to Starbucks and buy $4 cups of coffee. And the “bar none, the worst city in the country”? Really? I think New Orleans, Cleveland, El Paso, and many others would like a word with you.

47. Thor says: Apr 7, 2010 7:50 AM

I think of Detroit more as a “Crime and Poverty” town myself

48. Jeff says: Apr 7, 2010 7:52 AM

Ummm…. I’m trying to think of any other team that in Detroit that has won the top prize, and has captured the glory/honor of the town… I know the Red Wing were in the original six, but I haven’t heard of them lately. And the Tigers… they haven’t been to the World Series lately…
    I’m being facetious…

49. mookieburns13 says: Apr 7, 2010 8:45 AM

50. the_hook says: Apr 7, 2010 8:47 AM

All you idiots who like ripping on either city, when most of you haven’t even been to them, are killin me. I have been around this country. It has nice places all around. Guess what. I live in Michigan on a lake, and wouldn’t trade it for too many other places. Michigan is about lake-living, and I am not talking about mud-ponds that you cannot see 6 inches in, I am talking clear water, boating, fishing, hunting, skiing (winter & summer), Hockey, Football. Detroit certainly isn’t a jewel by any standard, but what is up with all you low-life scum that feels the need to rip a city, where real Americans live?

51. the_hook says: Apr 7, 2010 8:50 AM

wryly1, for someone who lived here for 20 years, you have no idea what Detroit is about. Football is king here, followed by Baseball & Hockey. Clueless.

52. damnitall says: Apr 7, 2010 8:57 AM

@Annuvin says:
    April 7, 2010 12:24 AM
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    You’re such an idiot. That was so stupid it’s actually funny. In an ‘Airplain’ movie sort of way.

53. Bobby Bushay says: Apr 7, 2010 9:02 AM

No, it’s Detroit… ROCK CITY!

54. milocoman says: Apr 7, 2010 9:13 AM

I have been to the Silverdome.
    You can buy crack from the ushers.
    UMMMM that was Pontiac 20 years ago!! Ford Field is a very nice stadium….I just hope Sims works better in our power blocking scheme!!

55. thousandcasts says: Apr 7, 2010 9:24 AM

“Just because the Lions havn’t won lately doesn’t mean Detroit/ Michigan is not a Lions town…People boycott the games because most Lions fans HATE WCF HATE……Trust me if the Lions EVER start winnng the roof will blow off Ford Field….the Tigers, Pistons, and Even the Wings will become a distant second……”
    Exactly. The Redwings can call it Hockeytown all they want, but if the Lions start winning games and actually turn into a team that can contend, most people will quickly see where the Redwings actually fall in the pecking order…and it won’t be #1.

56. LionSunBlock says: Apr 7, 2010 9:30 AM

I agree that the poster who disparaged Seattle was definitely in the wrong, but the torrent of bad-mouthing that followed his post- all directed at Detroit- was just as wrong. If you’ve never been to the city, don’t knock it based on the stereotypes you hear; otherwise, you can expect nothing but the same regarding your own city.
    If you have been to Detroit, then I fail to see how your experience could be what you say it is. Detroit isn’t a bad town. I’ve lived here for years and haven’t had one bad experience. Is it suffering an economic downturn? Yes. Are there quite a few closed buildings? Yes. Are you going to be robbed, raped, or murdered because of those things? It’s a risk, but not any more than you would be in most other big cities.
    Detroit is about football and hockey more than baseball and basketball… but we are a SPORTS city, through and through. It just depends on who you ask. I am more of a football fan, so I would say it’s a football town first. Ford Field sold out 50 consecutive home games, until the recent “blackout” era.

57. Lou Spudhole says: Apr 7, 2010 9:33 AM

All of this bashing from people who never set foot in Detroit. I’ve never been to Seattle so I won’t say anything negative about the city.
    How are the Seattle Supersonics doing this year? Are they retiring Shawn Kemps jersey this season?

58. LionSunBlock says: Apr 7, 2010 9:42 AM

And if people want to get into Detroit’s names… here’s your list. Pick whichever floats your boat.
    Motor City
    Motown
    Hockeytown
    Rock City
    City of Champions
    Arsenal of Democracy
    The D
    D-Town
    3-1-3
    Detroit is the nation’s 11th most populous city, and coincidentally the 11th most populous metro area. It also one of just 13 cities to have all 4 professional sports represent the city.

59. damnitall says: Apr 7, 2010 9:45 AM

@Jeff says:
    April 7, 2010 7:52 AM
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    You just wake up from a really long nap? The Wings were in the Stanley Cup finals last year and won the Cup the year before. The Tigers were in the World Series something like three years ago. Unfortunately, the Lions haven’t done anything since ’55.

60. lezmaka says: Apr 7, 2010 9:48 AM

Huh, I thought Detroit was a ghost town. You learn something new every day.

61. LionSunBlock says: Apr 7, 2010 9:57 AM

@damnitall — read all of Jeff’s comment. He was being sarcastic. :)

62. Patrick says: Apr 7, 2010 10:00 AM

Now go get Flozell Adams, drop down a few spots in the draft(Redskins for a running back and/or Haynesworth?) & take a top OL who can start 1st season.Then draft for D…Maybe S/DBs …Earl Thomas or a Nate Allen if still there would be nice…GoLions!

63. vanhelsing says: Apr 7, 2010 10:03 AM

of course it’s a football town. U of M is very popular here.

64. bredd71 says: Apr 7, 2010 10:21 AM

What is it with you people who want to wish despair on the people of detroit? I promise you, what you have experienced from this economy, we have been dealing with for twice as long. Detroit currently is not what i would call a “football town” but that is because we had a moron acting as our gm for eight years or so. Look at his idiotic picks! WR Mike Williams at no. 10 when he hasnt played football in a year. Charlie Rogers had million dollar talent, and a ten cent brain! Our man at the top making the decisions always felt the need to be the smartest guy in the room and got burned on it over and over. And people consider him a “great football mind” lol. But i promise all of you, this team is heading in the right direction, they are building a lot of talent. No Rob Sims is not the OL stud of the century, but he is a major upgrade from Manny Ramirez and Daniel Loper! And when we do actually field a decent team people will fill ford field EVERY week. We arent gonna pay to see what weve been given the last 10 years, noone would! Not any one of you. So dont be so quick to bag on the people of detroit. We just know when weve been sold a bill of goods that doesnt live up. But we also know this team is FINALLY doing things right behind Schwartz, Mayhew and co.

65. Kirmie says: Apr 7, 2010 10:22 AM

lionsfan82: You and Sims are both wrong. Detroit isn’t a football town. It is a sports town. Detroit and the area are all about everything sports.
    “# BALLHAWK says: April 6, 2010 11:59 PM
    He’s a dbag… Qwest Field most false starts… Come on Rob you are garbage thank God you’re gone… just a bum! Good luck winning 3 games next year son.”
    Lets play a game called name the Seahawks offensive linemen with more penalties than Sims. Ray Willis, Max Unger, Sean Locklear, Chris Spencer, and Brandon Frye. Wow, not only did every other player on the starting line have more penalties, but a backup as well. Sims committed 2 penalties and 1 was declined or offsetting.

66. lionskeet says: Apr 7, 2010 10:28 AM

Maybe if people in Seattle stopped diddling with their iPads and learned how to drive Rob might have stayed around. Any city that has had this bad of a football team and still sells most of their tickets, deserves the title “Football City.” Does it rain often in Seattle? Seattle is God’s shoulder to cry on. What a sensitive and cute city.

67. Reggie Cleveland All-Star says: Apr 7, 2010 10:31 AM

If it wasnt for Toledo, Detroit would be Americas armpit.

68. Darren says: Apr 7, 2010 10:53 AM

I’ve lived in the Detroit metropolitan area for nearly 45 years. Is it as nice as Seattle? No, its not. Its a 309-year old city that needs some improvements. At least there is a new mayor and council in place who seem to have a plan. Honestly, it can only get better, infrastructure-wise, or at least we hope so. As for Seattle, it is a beautiful city. I was out there last summer for a family reunion. The people are indeed laid back. Neither is a “better sports city”. Both have passionate fans. I can tell you thought, that metro-Detroiters LOVE football. UM, MSU and our sad-sack Lions. Ask any sports radio station or news reporter and they will tell you the Lions are the #1 loved team. They generate more buzz than the Red Wings or Tigers. This town is starving for a winning football team. The fans have been loyal beyond belief.

69. topcide says: Apr 7, 2010 10:55 AM

Anyone who says detroit is not a football town obivously doesn’t live here.
    The Lions dominate talk on local sports radio all year, followed in close second by the tigers and wings.
    I also love how people rip the city of detroit, true the city is in bad shape, but ANY big city has bad areas. When people say detroit, the only think the city proper, not the surrouding areas. Google oakland county and tell me that it’s ghetto.

70. irish4life says: Apr 7, 2010 11:03 AM

What is Rob Sims talking about? Seattle’s not a football City? Being from Seattle I have to rep my city to the fullest and say that we are a football town. You don’t have one of the loudest stadiums in the NFL without fans who have love the Seahawks.
    Simms is just mad he got ran out of town for being apart of the worst line in football the last 2 years. I don’t want to talk bad about Detroit but he’ll see the difference in the 2 cities come football season.

71. damnitall says: Apr 7, 2010 11:05 AM

@LionSunBlock says:
    April 7, 2010 9:57 AM
    @damnitall — read all of Jeff’s comment. He was being sarcastic. :)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Sorry, must have been sitting pretty low in my chair when I read it ’cause it went right over my head.

72. last starfighter says: Apr 7, 2010 11:15 AM

# Reggie Cleveland All-Star says: April 7, 2010 10:31 AM
    If it wasnt for Toledo, Detroit would be Americas armpit.
    ———————————————————-
    I like Toledo and Detroit much more than Cleveland and decent portion of Detroit is on fire at any given time! Toledo has a better baseball team than cleveland also

73. The Curse of Bobby Layne Part 2 says: Apr 7, 2010 11:47 AM

Ah yes, Detroit is so crappy……
    Feel free to pile on folks, when the government finally taxes Microsoft and Boeing to death, and you have to outsource everything to China and India, the same way things have gone for our auto companies, you’ll be seeing the same deterioration of your city.
    It might take a little longer, but the socialism you idiots all voted for WILL have a cost that the smug, arrogant folks of the western states will have to pay for!!!
    Not to mention that Microsoft products will be going by the wayside to cloud companies such as Google, who, gee, is just down the road from Detroit in Ann Arbor and doing quite well!
    Boeing? Your professional unions will ruin that company and run it into the ground the same way unions did to Ford GM, and Chrysler….Who’s going to buy American planes? Why should we? We don’t owe anything to the smug, bloated airplane-making companies of the west who make all that money!
    Back to Sims’ point, yes, this IS a football town! Our owner is THE WORST in any major sporting franchise. If that moron could put a winning group together, Ford Field would have to triple in size. We used to fill the 100,000-seat Pontiac Silverdome, with 9-7 teams……
    We WANT a winning football team in here badly! I would argue that people care about our crappy Lions waaaaay more than we even care about our beloved Wings, Tigers, and Pistons.

74. Raidersmojo says: Apr 7, 2010 11:54 AM

“my city is better” “no, mine is, yours sucks” “waa waa”
    you know each one of you proclaiming your city is better just makes you sound like a tool right?

75. The Curse of Bobby Layne Part 2 says: Apr 7, 2010 12:02 PM

…and the best part about being from Detroit….
    When you tell someone you’re from Detroit, they practically pee their pants in fear!
    That’s right, I’m an Engineer who went to a tough school in the upper penninsula, and when I tell people around the country I’m from D-Troit, you can see the fear and respect in their eyes…….We are a tough, stubborn group here in Football Town! If you can’t kick ass, you won’t make it here long!

76. DetroitSportsFan says: Apr 7, 2010 12:08 PM

I don’t know much about Rob Sims or Seattle but I did see he took at least 75% snaps last year, gave up 1 sack and had 2 penalties with 1 declined or offset. Rated #6 among guards in 2009 who took at least 75% snaps.
    They say he didn’t fit the offensive scheme out there so…… we’ll see.
    Talk the trash if you feel offended by his comments but you can’t say he gave up sacks or penalties.. at least not last year.

77. stetai says: Apr 7, 2010 12:12 PM

Forget about the which is a better city debate, and focus on his initial sentiment that Seattle was not a football city and Detroit is.
    As someone who grew up in Green Bay, a city that is completely run on obsession with the NFL and the Green Bay Packers who lives in Seattle for 5 years, he is 100% right.
    Seattle only has passion for the Husky’s and that’s about it. The enthusiasm for the Seahawks ends as soon as you step out of that stadium. There’s only about 4 sports bars in the entire city, Seattle only had one championship team and they literally voted them all the way to Oklahoma City.
    When the Packers lose a regular season game, for 48 hours, it’s like the walking dead in Green Bay and the economy practically shuts down. When Seattle lost the friggin Super Bowl, no one in Seattle even batted an eye. Seattle fans don’t live and die on sports. That might make them better more productive people and the city is great overall, but a sports town, it definitely is NOT.

78. MonkeyHustle says: Apr 7, 2010 12:22 PM

The Midwest = REAL AMERICANS … period

79. Kuya 206 says: Apr 7, 2010 12:32 PM

It just shows Sims as a classless SOB. What will he say if Detroit doesn’t offer him an extension?
    I’m not gonna bash on any city because each city has it’s own personality… that’s what makes US so great.
    Every city has people that sip coffee and chit chat. Because Seattle has Starbucks, we are stuck on that stereotype.

80. texasPHINSfan says: Apr 7, 2010 12:50 PM

Fonetik’s first post couldn’t be more wrong. I currently live in seattle, and i have lived in detroit.
    everyone think seattle people all drink coffee and eat salmon, but that’s not the case at all. if you’re a tourist here and go to the touristy places, yeah you’ll think that’s the case because all the tourists pack the starbucks and fish market. the locals don’t go near those places, so nice try.
    seattle seahawk fans also tend to be pretty damn loud & rabid, as evidenced by Qwest being one of the loudest stadia in the league – also lead the league in false start penalties over the last 5 years. If you’re going to tell me Detroit fans are more hardcore than Seattle fans, i’d question that. Detroit fans may be loyal, but i wouldn’t paint that a “football” town.
    Sims picked poor words there.

81. mookieburns13 says: Apr 7, 2010 12:54 PM

All Sims is saying is that Seattle is not a “blue colar city” as Detroit, Pittsburg, and Cleveland, are know to be. Being from around here he feels he is a blue color guy that fits it with the culture better. I don’t think he is ripping Seattle, he is just sayin he is a beer and peanuts kinda guy as apposed to Latae’and whatever ever you eat with a latae’…kinda “guy”

82. SoCal says: Apr 7, 2010 1:24 PM

I think ALL of you are missing the whole point of his comments.
    “This here is what being in the NFL is supposed to be about, [standing] up here at the mic talking to reporters and stuff. In Seattle, it’s not like that. It’s drinking coffee, sittin’ down and chit-chatting. This is a change, but it’s a change that I’ve been looking forward to.”
    REALLY??? That is what the NFL is all about? No wonder he let so many defenders to the QB. He wanted to stand there and talk to them while they wanted to do their job. Sorry Rob, but not going to miss you.

83. Robert says: Apr 7, 2010 2:33 PM

Rob Sims is right. Listening to sports talk radio stations around here in Detroit, more people will call in about the Lions than anything else combined. This is NOT Hockeytown…Noone cares about the Pistons anymore, and people jump on and off the Tiger bandwagon all the time around here, but they all stick with the Lions, even through 0-16.
    We love our football, even when the teams are bad…we still go to the games and look forward to August (and April).

84. CDAseahawk says: Apr 7, 2010 2:43 PM

Its hilarious that Lions fans think Sims will improve their line. The guy was terrible in Seattle, anyone who saw a Seahawk game last year saw the middle of the line collapse over and over again. Sims somehow got a rep as a power guy that doesnt fit Seattle’s new zone scheme and thats why they wanted to get rid of him but in reality that seems to be a ploy to get someone with a man/power blocking scheme to take him off Seattle’s hands for some compensation rather than them just releasing him.

85. funi says: Apr 7, 2010 3:17 PM

Dude, never compare Detroit and Cleveland with Pittsburgh as football towns! Steelers have ten times the fans as both of these teams COMBINED! Pittsburgh has Super Bowls Championships while Detroit as a WINLESS SEASON and Cleveland has a team who left the city!

86. irish4life says: Apr 7, 2010 4:21 PM

When was the last time Detroit was even relevant when it comes to football? Oh yeah when you guys went 0-16…

87. robrown says: Apr 7, 2010 4:59 PM

I’m not from Detroit so I don’t take sides in the debate, but I have to point out that the Seattle fans posting on this site sure are thin skinned — Did Sims hit a raw nerve??

88. robrown says: Apr 7, 2010 5:02 PM

I’m not from Detroit so I don’t take sides in this debate. But I can’t help but notice that the Seattle fans sure seem to be thin skinned— Did Mr. Sims hit a raw nerve?

89. dewalt2990 says: Apr 7, 2010 5:38 PM

“detroit a football town” = 80 negative responses = 80 people scared that the lions are getting better.

90. Wildcat67 says: Apr 7, 2010 5:51 PM

I find it hilarious the Seahawks fans that are saying things like
    “Too busy talking to reporters and allows sackS in the process”
    “He was terrible in Seattle, I’m glad he’s gone.”
    So, being the #6 rated OG in the NFL and allowing 1 (count’em 1, NOT PURAL, as in 2) sack and 2 pressures is terrible?
    Good luck with his replacement last year. It is gonna be tough for him to live up to that.

91. hitman127 says: Apr 7, 2010 6:12 PM

detroit has the fifth largest sports network in the country so ummmm…..he might know what hes talking about….not just a football city…its a city that loves its sports more than most…
    seahawk fans sound like cranky byches whinning cause they dont know its time to rebuild and stop trying to beef up that dying team…tear down and rebuild not reach for every big name players tube via free agency or trade…

92. ToledoLions says: Apr 7, 2010 6:33 PM

Yea I’m sure Seattle is such a great city! It’s a bunch of coffee drinking, hippie pussies. No wonder it has the highest suicide rate almost every year. I would want to off myself if I lived in a city full of pansies where it rains all the time too.

93. jibfest says: Apr 7, 2010 6:42 PM

Now all they need is a football team to go with the passion for the sport.

94. ToledoLions says: Apr 7, 2010 6:48 PM

Have any of you Seattle pansies ever been to Detroit or the state of Michigan? Downtown Detroit is probably one of the funnest places to be in the Midwest with the all of the casinos. Outside of the “inner city” (which is about par with every other major city in America) Detroit and the surrounding areas are filled with suburbs that are loaded with $500,000 homes and up. The suburbs actually have a LOT of money in them. And the small towns and countryside in Michigan are some of the most beautiful in the country. The coast of Seattle and Washington have nothing on Macinac Island, Saginaw, and all the beautiful places dotted along the Great Lakes coastline.

95. ToledoLions says: Apr 7, 2010 7:18 PM

@Reggie Cleveland All-Star:
    If it wasnt for Toledo, Detroit would be Americas armpit.
    I was born and raised in Toledo. I still live here. And i have been to Cleveland many times. Can you tell me why Cleveland has the highest decreasing population rate in Ohio? And the 5th highest population decrease in America? Oh because it is the single largest sh*thole in America. Yes way worse than Detroit or Toledo. Toledo is now the 3rd largest city in Ohio and will soon be overtaking that garbage dump called Cleveland. Why? Because jeep just added 1,500 jobs and we have a booming Solar Panel industry with First Solar, Xunlight, Glasstech, and the new 250,000 sq. ft. plant that Wesley and Kelsey Solar Group LLC. are building. You can’t say anything negative about other cities if you live in Cleveland.

96. Bious says: Apr 7, 2010 7:51 PM

They are slowly upgrading their overall talent
    They have pieces to work with at QB, RB, and WR now
    They just need some speed on D
    8-8 is 2 years away, imo

97. The Real Shuxion says: Apr 8, 2010 9:09 AM

ToledoLions says:
    April 7, 2010 6:33 PM
    ————————————————-
    That may be true but Seattle has a lot of hot asian chicks.
    “They will do what you want…..oh you better believe it they will do what you want. Cause they know, they know…..”
    -Peter Griffin

98. DocBG says: Apr 8, 2010 10:36 AM

my parents said that if you can’t say anything nice you shouldn’t say anything at all. seeing as the presser was scheduled, what was he supposed to say?
    Detoit is a toilet plain and simple. its what 40 years of complete socialism will get you, know suprise at all. Seattle 10 years ago would have been a fantastic place to move to, but right now its going to be steady decline, especially if the defense budget continues to get slashed. Boeing makes money only when they are making airplanes. the technology industry is actually moving massive amounts of operations to the carolinas because the taxes are so much cheaper.

99. Kuya 206 says: Apr 8, 2010 1:20 PM

Sims is oft-injured and was a liability for the run game. He missed many assignments and is dumb as rocks when talking to reporters.
    You can go to your little websites to find a so called rating system, but when fans watch him play, he does suck.
    The only thing he got is his youth… so good luck in thinking that you got a great player!

100. CDAseahawk says: Apr 8, 2010 2:35 PM

It might be a “football city” but its still a crime-infested slum with no work and no future. Seriously, how could anyone be proud to live in Detroit?

101. jthom19802 says: Apr 9, 2010 5:08 AM

First of all is all of the city bashing neccessary? Detroit and Seattle both have their nice and their bad areas. I’m sure Seattle outweighs Detroit in the nice category but still. All big cities have their issues.
    However, I am posting not for that but rather for the “football town” hate. Everyone giving Rob grief about this comment is simply not paying attention. There is a big difference between not being a football town and not buying tickets to support a poorly ran (working on that), lack of talent (working on that too) barely passable NFL football team.
    As others have said, if the Lions started racking up a few wins and resembling a competative NFL team the other three sports – especially baseball and basketball – would not even come close to holding a candle to them.

102. uncle fester says: Apr 9, 2010 8:38 AM

@Wildcat67 – Tough to replace him? Not really. You can buy revolving doors from lots of places these days. The O-line stank this season (and last). If he was as good as you’re trying to make out, Hass wouldn’t have spent the season running for his life.

103. hawksnest says: Apr 12, 2010 12:31 AM

THIS IS WHAT FOOTBALL IS ABOUT
    standing and talking to reporters