Agent: Jason Taylor to visit New York Wednesday

Jason Taylor could leave the Dolphins for another AFC East team, but not the one most people expected.

Speaking on the Joe Rose Show in Miami, agent Gary Wichard said Taylor will visit the Jets Wednesday.

Taylor has made it clear he wants to return to the Dolphins this offseason, but it’s uncertain if the interest was mutual.  A report Tuesday said Taylor would be content waiting until after the draft to sign.

This could just be a negotiating ploy aimed at getting the Dolphins to act.  Taylor said almost exactly one year ago today he had no interest in playing for the Jets.  Jeff Darlington of the Miami Herald writes the Jets have made a “heavy pitch” for weeks just to get Taylor to consider them as a real possibility.

The Jets are limited by the “Final Eight Plan,” making them unable to sign an unrestricted free agent until after kicker Jay Feely signed with the Cardinals.

The rules also states that a “player contract for the new player (Taylor) shall have a first year salary of no more
than the first year salary of the player contract signed by the previous player
with the new club.”

Feely is reportedly scheduled to earn $1.5 million in 2010 pay; thus, that’s all the Jets can pay Taylor in 2010.  Because the “Final Eight Plan” limits future growth to 30 percent of the 2010 salary, the Jets could only raise his pay to $1.95 million in 2011.

Then again, Taylor made only $1.5 million last season and he’s no longer in high demand.  He could probably work out things with Jets fans.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
32 Responses to “Agent: Jason Taylor to visit New York Wednesday”
  1. pjhurley says: Apr 7, 2010 10:15 AM

Just as a random comment, if Jason Taylor made comments one year ago that he had no interest in playing for the Jets it would’ve been before they drafted a franchise QB and made it to the AFC Championship…if that doesn’t increase your interest from “none” to “some” then I don’t know what does.

2. Mooch says: Apr 7, 2010 10:15 AM

Here’s another washed up vet that was hailed as a game-changing superstar by the Redskins.
    Wasn’t he also going to bring home a SB? Like Big Daddy Wilkinson? And Deangelo Hall? And Trotter? And McNabb?
    You’d swear the NFLPA owned the Skins with all the cash they throw at spent bullets.

3. hnirobert says: Apr 7, 2010 10:23 AM

As a lifelong Dolphins fan I would not blame or hate Jason for going to the Jets or Pats. Since Parcells got here he’s treated JT with little to no respect.

4. DanSnyder says: Apr 7, 2010 10:28 AM

This LowerMyBills.com advertisement on the right is both hilarious and creepy with this 90 year old man with the weirdest look on his face. He scares me yet I laugh at the same time. I guess they chose a good picture because I wouldnt have even payed attention if it wasn’t for that old man.

5. TampaPatsFan says: Apr 7, 2010 10:28 AM

What do you mean when you say he could probably work things out with Jets fans? Do you think Jets fans will slide him some extra cash under the table? I doubt Taylor will want to play with the Jets for the salary of a kicker unless he can work things out with Jets fans.

6. jetboy says: Apr 7, 2010 10:29 AM

Jason Taylor won’t hurt us, but he’s a dam Dolphin, he don’t wanna play for the Jets he needs some cash, he even said he would never play for us, F-ck him, let him flounder around and wait for the Fish sticks to resign him, they won’t even return his phone calls down here. Rex you were doing good for awhile but your starting to piss me off, Jay Feely was a bad move.

7. dosborne08 says: Apr 7, 2010 10:30 AM

I really hope it just “due dilligence”. The Dolphins really need to find a way to get him signed. For what they would have to pay him, it is definitely worth it. The youngster can also learn a thing or too from Taylor.

8. hnirobert says: Apr 7, 2010 10:38 AM

There’s also the Jason Taylor curse to think about. This might be a savior for the Dolphins and a nail in the coffin for the Jets.

9. mike_311 says: Apr 7, 2010 10:38 AM

can you please stop referring to both the Jets and Giants as New York?
    Say “Jason Taylor to visit Jets.”
    I hate clicking on links that refer to the gay ass jets.

10. SATAN567 says: Apr 7, 2010 10:41 AM

Waste of money. This defense doesn’t need any more help at all.

11. Austskate says: Apr 7, 2010 10:41 AM

Would definitely improve the Jets pass rush which is probably one of the weaker parts of a strong defense. Maybe he can teach that clown Gholston a thing or 2.

12. pramis123 says: Apr 7, 2010 10:42 AM

Can’t understand why the Dolphins act this way with JT when he was still one of their best defensive players and leaders last year.

13. straverse says: Apr 7, 2010 10:42 AM

These final 4 rules are the most arbitrary, ridiculous rules I’ve ever heard. Its completely insane that a FA kicker’s contract affects a pro bowl DE.

14. JetFanLivinInMiami says: Apr 7, 2010 10:42 AM

If this were to happen.. (really big ‘IF’)… This would make the Jets vs Dolphins rivary reach a new level.
    I can’t stop laughing!

15. madsqgrdn says: Apr 7, 2010 10:43 AM

I would welcome him if hes commited to working hard. I have no bad feelings against Jason taylor, for most of his career we beat Miami like a drum.

16. 305CANES says: Apr 7, 2010 10:43 AM

I think I just threw up in my mouth.

17. filthymcnasty says: Apr 7, 2010 10:47 AM

I’ll see you in Hell, Taylor.
    HAIL SUCKAS.

18. mrzazz41387 says: Apr 7, 2010 11:11 AM

I guess Jason Taylor would be an improvement over Bryan Thomas, but not much of one.

19. tacious says: Apr 7, 2010 11:14 AM

@ Mike_311
    Yeah, it must be tough and all with the Giants being so great these days…

20. Garbage Pail Kid says: Apr 7, 2010 11:15 AM

# 305CANES says: April 7, 2010 10:33 AM
    I think I just threw up in my mouth.
    =================================
    Where else would you throw up dipshit? Out your asshole? People that use this line along with “stay classy” and ALL its variants are among the biggest shit heads of the planet and deserve nothing but the utmost disdain, mockery and derision that can be mustered.

21. jkorn1818 says: Apr 7, 2010 11:21 AM

DanSnyder says:
    April 7, 2010 10:28 AM
    ___________________________________
    That’s just one of the few pictures they use, all of them are great.

22. Consigliere says: Apr 7, 2010 11:23 AM

While I also vommited in my mouth, let’s not forget that this isn’t the Jason Taylor of old. Why should Parcells kiss Taylor’s back side? At best, Taylor has 2 years left in the tank at less than 100%. Parcells views these players as “development blockers” who limit the playing time of young talent. As a Dolphins fan, I would hate to see him in gang green, but I’m all about the Dolphins and not players from the old glory days that got us ZERO rings.

23. ampats says: Apr 7, 2010 11:31 AM

If he were to leave the Dolphins, he will sign with NE. There is a very strong relationship/respect between him and BB.
    It has also been reported (not here) that he is talking with NE.

24. dolfan05 says: Apr 7, 2010 11:43 AM

If Taylor pulls this crap I will burn everything I own of his and wipe my a** with his jersey….no way he signs with them, no f-ing way!!

25. thegoldengod says: Apr 7, 2010 11:51 AM

Taylor may be passed his prime, but him and Adalius Thomas are upgrades to Bryan Thomas and Gholston. I would hate Taylor more, but the Jets dominated the Dolphins year after year during his prime…and his mic’d up for the Monday Night Miracle is priceless.

26. don't know says: Apr 7, 2010 11:53 AM

I wonder if after reading this, Snyder will realize that Taylor is no longer on his roster?

27. don't know says: Apr 7, 2010 11:54 AM

I wander if Snyder realizes that Taylor is no longer on his roster??

28. themage78 says: Apr 7, 2010 12:14 PM

mike_311 says:
    April 7, 2010 10:38 AM
    can you please stop referring to both the Jets and Giants as New York?
    Say “Jason Taylor to visit Jets.”
    I hate clicking on links that refer to the gay ass jets.
    ————————————————-
    Also dislike seeing this title and then having to click through just to see that the Giants aren’t going after this dancing idiot.

29. overkil2 says: Apr 7, 2010 12:23 PM

He’s just doing this to try and gain a little leverage with the Fins front office. He did the same crap with NE last year and eventually re-signed with the Fins.

30. 305CANES says: Apr 7, 2010 1:19 PM

Garbage Pail – life suck? I’d hate to have all that anger inside of me.
    Garbage Pail Kid says:
    April 7, 2010 11:15 AM
    # 305CANES says: April 7, 2010 10:33 AM
    I think I just threw up in my mouth.
    =================================

31. madsqgrdn says: Apr 7, 2010 1:37 PM

mike_311 says:
    April 7, 2010 10:38 AM
    can you please stop referring to both the Jets and Giants as New York?
    Say “Jason Taylor to visit Jets.”
    I hate clicking on links that refer to the gay ass jets.
    ————————————————-
    Don’t worry about it just assume all of the news it Jets related. The Giants don’t really make any news. If your just looking for Giants news you might as well not stop by this site. Giants thanks for beating the patriots now dissapear.

32. SomeGuyInIowa says: Apr 7, 2010 3:38 PM

Ryan allegedly promised Taylor 15 sacks etc, but shouldn’t he be more concerned about getting A sack from Gholston, a player that Ryan said we were all going to see a huge difference during last year’s training camp??