Panthers kicker makes rare leap from smoothies to the NFL

As Florio mentioned Tuesday night, now he’s Carolina’s kickoff specialist.  Dan Feldman of the Flint Journal has the story of how the Grand Valley State kicker got his big chance.

Carter doesn’t plan to let it go.

“If I start doing bad they might [bring in competition],” Carter said. “But that ain’t going to
happen. I ain’t going to let anyone take my job.”

Unless that job is making Blimey Limey smoothies.

(Thanks to Darin Gantt of the Rock Hill Herald for pointing this out.)

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
17 Responses to “Panthers kicker makes rare leap from smoothies to the NFL”
  1. The Real Shuxion says: Apr 7, 2010 4:35 PM

“Less than a year ago at this time, Todd Carter was working at Tropical Smoothies in Flint, Michigan for 18-24 hours a week.”
    ————————————————-
    He works 12 more hours a week than about 95% of PFT nation.

2. BleedGreen says: Apr 7, 2010 4:36 PM

I want a Blimey Limey smoothie :(

3. Bird Man says: Apr 7, 2010 4:41 PM

“Kickoff specialist?”

4. DCPowerGator says: Apr 7, 2010 4:45 PM

I think the real issue here is that a degree from Grand Valley State only nets you a job at Tropical Smoothies in Flint. Yikes!

5. Douchebaggery says: Apr 7, 2010 4:48 PM

Sounds like Robbie Gould’s story too, he was a construction worker.

6. Nobe says: Apr 7, 2010 4:49 PM

….and he and McNabb had a smoothie together before McNabb got traded to the Redskins.

7. jibfest says: Apr 7, 2010 4:54 PM

Todd Carter made a mean smoothie, the community will suffer. I’m glad this guy is being selfish and only thinking about himself while us real smoothie lovers have a gaping hole in our hearts. :( Yeah go ahead and make your little kick, or miss it. Todd Carter voodoo dolls will soon be available in the Flint, Michigan area.

8. downwithdansnyder says: Apr 7, 2010 4:56 PM

Maybe Fat Albert Haynesworth should work at the smoothy place a while. He needs some of this guy’s attitude. Sorry non-skins fans. I just couldn’t resist.

9. jibfest says: Apr 7, 2010 5:16 PM

Carter could make the smoothies and Warner could put them in the bags.

10. Drithe says: Apr 7, 2010 5:43 PM

The Carolina Panthers …….. they suck.
    End of Line.

11. irishfan4life says: Apr 7, 2010 5:57 PM

wow……it’s great to see a good story come out about my hometown! i think this guy made me n my girl a smoothie once at the genesee valley mall….lmao

12. Memp! says: Apr 7, 2010 6:54 PM

WHY WOULD YOU WASTE ROSTER SPACE ON A KICKOFF SPECIALIST??? IF YOUR KICKER CANNOT REACH THE END ZONE, CHANCES ARE HE IS WEEEEAAAAKKKKK!

13. Real Vikings fans wouldn't cheer for Favre says: Apr 7, 2010 7:14 PM

I don’t think a kickoff specialist is a waste.
    I’ll take Ryan Longwell over 95% of kickers for a field goal under pressure but the field position he gives on a kick off is weak, Rhys Lloyd‎ was a good addition.

14. pilot08 says: Apr 7, 2010 8:53 PM

The Panthers also had 2 fullbacks on the team last year… but, Kasay is a HOF and was money last year and still has 2 more years on his contract..
    Plus, Kasay is a captain and a HUGE leader on the team. There would be a riot within the roster if Kasay is let go… He’ll be in Carolina for at least 2 more years.

15. Rat says: Apr 7, 2010 10:34 PM

I went to Grand Valley State, and my degree has been just as useless. I wish I could kick a football really far.

16. RCPanthers says: Apr 8, 2010 2:52 AM

“I think it’s great that they gave this guy an opportunity and I hope it works out for them BUT I have a question.
    Kasay is weak. He needs to retire or move on. He’s old and the last standing player from the innaugural 1995 season so J.R & Fox keep him around. ”
    Okay, oh Mr. overlord of all things football….But, wait a minute….hmm…Let’s say this kid can kick every single ball through the endzone on kickoffs….If that were happen how many kickoff (not punt) coverage players would you need?
    The answer would be none! That is 10 roster spaces…Now that is not really a plausible argument and it is an extreme tie in, but notice the Panthers just released their highest paid “gunner” Dante Wesley.
    He was set to make over $1 million this year. That is enough for 3 rookie contracts! Lloyd was also set to make over a $1 million (basically 3 more rookie mini deals…all for positions like guners, kickers etc…)
    Though Wesley was released before the kicker was even signed, you know that Fox and Hurney knew they were looking for and were 100% going to sign a new kick off specialist with a cannon leg as they cut Wesley. Even though money along with Wesley’s new contract due to him was what sent Wesley packing it did not help his case to stay in Carolina with the coach and GM knowing he was overpriced and the small fact that he may just not be needed very often in the kickoff game.
    Chew on it….don’t choke….
    There was a bit of depth at the gunner’s position and now they have room to add on at least 3 extra players (money wise) due to the savings in not keeping Lloyd and Wesley. Remember, Lloyd’s numbers fell off a good bit from his 2008, record setting season. The Panthers do have some free roster spots and the team knows just how important it was not to spot your opponents the 35 or 40 yard line after each kickoff (as Kasay had begun to do in 2007 and once in 2003 at the SUPERBOWL)….
    The Panthers keep Kasay for two reasons. Kasay is the team leader and he is money from 50 yards and in. He (Kasay) will be the first one to stand up and retire should he suddenly become inconsistent but by having a kickoff specialist on the roster seems to have helped save Kasay for field goals and it helps keep him a bit stronger for the one thing he is great at….winning games with 5 seconds left, from 48 yards out!

17. Guy Incognito says: Apr 8, 2010 9:40 AM