The Dolphins won't sign Jason Taylor before the draft

Jason Taylor has a tough choice.

“[Taylor and his agent] know our stance,” Dolphins G.M. Jeff Ireland said at a pre-draft press conference Thursday.  “That’s where I’ll leave it. We have to evaluate things after draft.”

One positive in the Dolphins’ favor is that the Jets can’t offer him that much money. They did offer him a helicopter ride and a nice hotel in Columbus Circle in Manhattan.

(I offered my couch, but didn’t hear back.)

All things even close to equal, Taylor wants to stay in Miami. The Jets offer probably isn’t going away after the draft, but there’s no guarantee door two will even open for him.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
41 Responses to “The Dolphins won't sign Jason Taylor before the draft”
  1. hnirobert says: Apr 8, 2010 1:20 PM

This regime is losing its luster with us Dolphans.

2. KILLER FIN says: Apr 8, 2010 1:21 PM

cheap ass Ross needs to tell the trifecta to keep Taylor or it WILL haunt the Fins 2 times this year!!! This defense needs the leadership in the locker room!!!

3. endzoneview says: Apr 8, 2010 1:28 PM

Most will probably say that this was an obvious (and failed) attempt to force the Dolphins into a decision.
    Doubtful in my opinion.
    Jason Taylor can have the best of both worlds signing with the Jets. A real shot at a Super Bowl and another avenue for his after football career (Hard Knocks)
    Slam dunk if you ask me.

4. Duan says: Apr 8, 2010 1:33 PM

It’s not like the Jets and Dolphins are the only two teams in the league!?
    Jason Taylor will land on his feet somewhere, just like Joey Porter landed in Arizona.
    Miami is his home in the off season, he has tons of cash – so I am pretty sure he will receive offers once the dust settles, if he doesn’t want to go to the Jets.

5. Coach D says: Apr 8, 2010 1:33 PM

If Miami can address their other needs, Taylor will be back. Probably not much past next year but he’ll be back…

6. dedhed says: Apr 8, 2010 1:33 PM

taylor ineffective last year…. let him walk

7. ampats says: Apr 8, 2010 1:41 PM

Taylor also knows there is a door#3
    New England Patriots

8. MANNY says: Apr 8, 2010 1:43 PM

He won’t play in NY. He’s a complete coward.
    he doesn’t have the testicles to leave Miami and face the pressure of playing in NY.
    He’ll wait and beg Big Fat Ass Tuna to take him back.

9. MANNY says: Apr 8, 2010 1:44 PM

He won’t play in NY. He’s a complete coward.
    He’ll wait and beg Big Fat Ass Tuna to take him back.

10. we'vegot6howboutu? says: Apr 8, 2010 1:45 PM

You better save that spot on the couch for Tiki!

11. ttommytom says: Apr 8, 2010 1:50 PM

‘After Draft’. Is that like ‘After Prom’. Used to be ‘THE Prom’. Then ‘Prom’. Used to be ‘THE Draft’. Now it is ‘Draft’.
    I need a date for Draft.

12. 305DOLFAN says: Apr 8, 2010 2:04 PM

JT is one heck of a player and I dont blame him for even considering the jets. The Dolphins pushed him to the side when this guy is sure fire hall of famer who has been nothing but a great professional.
    Looking at the broader picture im not all that convinced about the jets. There a 9-7 team that backed into the playoffs and peaked at the right time. I must admit however that they are being aggresive in the offseason but are they selling there souls to 2 or 3 years of good football? I think so. sincerely, FRUSTRATED DOLPHINS FANS

13. BRUTUS9448 says: Apr 8, 2010 2:04 PM

Yea I’m sure the Jets are ready for a superbowl ring. They got lucky last year the the colts laid down and they got into the playoffs. And after this year they’ll have a lot FA’s the Jets will suck always have always will

14. dietrich43 says: Apr 8, 2010 2:11 PM

Mike Greenberg offered effusive praise and a man-crush (or, maybe just a crush) if Taylor would sign with the Jets.

15. Crowder911 says: Apr 8, 2010 2:14 PM

if your couch looks as ugly as your suites…then you dont have to wonder yourself why he didnt jump on your invitation…

16. ebr362 says: Apr 8, 2010 2:17 PM

This is an agent ploy, plain and simple. JT would become footballs biggest hypocrit if he signs with the jets. He lives in South Florida, how do you think the fans are going to treat him and his family if he signs with the classless Jets?
    As for the trio, they need to knock off this attitude that they walk on water before we lose another quality player, they had Clark in the palm of their hands and would have cleared up a glaring need, but Tuna’s ego only allows himself to be shown love with his own all or nothing walkaway contract. Had he shown Rolle or Clark just a glimpse of simular love we could be going into the draft with one less need!

17. Matt Walsh says: Apr 8, 2010 2:18 PM

Jason,
    Bill Belicheat has a microphone waiting for your shoulder pads and Tom Brady likes to snuggle.

18. BernieMac says: Apr 8, 2010 2:19 PM

dedhed says:
    April 8, 2010 1:33 PM
    taylor ineffective last year…. let him walk
    What games were you watching?

19. InBBWeTrust says: Apr 8, 2010 2:21 PM

Um, can someone tell me why the Jets think they have a chance of going to the Super Bowl next year?

20. tacious says: Apr 8, 2010 2:30 PM

You people bashing the Jets can whine all you want… but at least know what you’re talking about.
    Yes the Jets were 9-7… but 6 of their 7 losses were by 4 points or less, so it’s not like they were terrible and got blown out. Also, That’s when Sanchez, a Rookie QB, went into his funk and was throwing interceptions like Florio posts repeat stories.
    As for the comment(s) about the Jets being lucky to “peak” at the end of the season… are you kidding, when else should they peak, at the beginning?

21. PFTiswhatitis says: Apr 8, 2010 2:38 PM

“He can accept what’s behind door number one, a guaranteed job with a great defensive coach in New York. Or he can choose door number two, and hope the Dolphins want him after the draft.”
    OR there’s always door #3, wait and see how many other teams come knocking after the draft. There will be several.
    “endzoneview says:
    April 8, 2010 1:28 PM
    Doubtful in my opinion.
    Slam dunk if you ask me.”
    Just another Jests fan kidding himself. Get real. Its the Jets.

22. cubano109 says: Apr 8, 2010 2:48 PM

Predictions for 2010:
    Mark Sanchez bust’s hs leg by the 4th in-season game.
    Too much dependancy on the run game leaves Greene with last year’s shoulder injury getting worse and ultimately taking him on IR for the last half of the year.
    Sanchez sneaks a Hamburger in while on the bench for having 13 INT’s within the first 3 games.
    Rex Ryan cries……….twice…..after each Miami victory.
    And Henne will Again look like Marino as he picks apart the Jets.
    Bank on it.

23. Howboutdemcowboys says: Apr 8, 2010 2:53 PM

The male model will be 36 years old when the season starts. The Dolphins know what their doing, they wont sign him until after the draft in case they cant get Brandon Graham, Derrick Morgan, or Jason Pierre Paul.
    I’m sure he can be the next old spice spokesman.

24. ltbw038 says: Apr 8, 2010 2:54 PM

JT would improve the jets at QB. So would Bernie Madoff

25. JIM says: Apr 8, 2010 2:57 PM

The Jets are the logical better choice..better defense and defensive scheme..better upside for QB who gathered immeasurable (until after the season begins) BIG game playoff experience…for all the Jet haters..ye..the colts laid down but the Dolphins CHOKED against SAINTS HOUSTON PITT and even with them beating the Jets twice luckily..they could not get in…Ronnie Brown will be suspended one or 2 games for DWI and New York Dolphin fans suck and are from hell and gutless….He will be a Jet..LT will call him and say “Dont waste your time down there…better team, better exposure, better coach..DONE DEAL

26. overkil2 says: Apr 8, 2010 3:04 PM

“MANNY says:
    April 8, 2010 1:44 PM
    He won’t play in NY. He’s a complete coward.
    He’ll wait and beg Big Fat Ass Tuna to take him back.

Manolito, last time I checked, Tuna was in better shape than Rex and that’s without having to resort to surgery.

27. overkil2 says: Apr 8, 2010 3:09 PM

If he wants to go to the Jets, then go ahead. It’s a business. No longer are the days where players play their careers for one team. He isn’t the player he once was and the Fins are waiting to see what they pick up in the draft before looking at his situation. If you think the Fins can’t win without him, two years ago proved that theory wrong.
    I’m just tried of reading the same crap. Either sign with the Jets now or STFU being a whining little bitch and wait for the front office to give you a call after the draft.
    Hey, are the Redskins looking for a pass rusher?

28. spyboots says: Apr 8, 2010 3:30 PM

@InBBWeTrust, who said, You won 2 playoff games and you wouldn’t have even won those if Indy hadn’t laid down for you!
    So true!

29. ltbw038 says: Apr 8, 2010 3:34 PM

Rex Ryan a better coach? In what reality? What has he ever done, except cry? Oh, and that brilliant bit of insight, “Uh, I guess were out of it” Jets fans will be screaming for his head within two years.

30. JetFanLivinInMiami says: Apr 8, 2010 3:50 PM

@cubano109
    “And Henne will Again look like Marino as he picks apart the Jets. ” Are you serious… i’m not even a dolphin fan, and that is an insult to Marino.
    I’m sorry, yes Henne is a good player. He will never be a Marino.
    That coming from a Jet fan.
    The rest of your post, doesn’t even need to be addressed.
    Go Jets!

31. finsbooyah says: Apr 8, 2010 4:01 PM

JIM says: “better coach..DONE DEAL”
    Hahaha Jim, you must be delusional… Good luck trying to find a coach in the league who has done more with less than Sparano and his crew. Rah-Rah fat Rex is nothing compared to Tony, who out coached him twice last year. Oh and don’t forget who taught Rex Ryan how to run a 3-4 defense. Yea, that’s right, Mike Nolan, who is now running the D in Miami.
    Sparano 2, Ryan 0
    The Dolphins have the better coaching staff, the better QB and are far more talented than they were two years ago when they went 11-5 and won the AFC East. So we’ll see what happens this year, but you haven’t won sh*t yet. Except of course, for the preseason Super Bowl for the 3rd straight year. Congratulations

32. Jarod says: Apr 8, 2010 4:16 PM

Go to the Patriots please J.T we need a Vet. Come on Bill make J.T a deal.

33. jetboy says: Apr 8, 2010 4:27 PM

I just wonder what Taylor must be thinking when he goes back home to that nasty ass bubble they practice in Davie, Fl., after leaving a state of the art training facility, plus not mention a brand new updated stadium, not a rainbow colored Sun Life Stadium, o boy, really guys, gay, really gay like their loser ass fans, we know the Tuna sent him up there to spy but thats going to back fire, Taylor is going to be like wow thats how the NFL really is wow, see ya Miami I wasted my hole career on a shitty team with the most fair weathered fans in NFL. I love you New York please sign me please…

34. GreenAsGrass says: Apr 8, 2010 4:38 PM

Realistically, the Jets should challenge for a spot in 2010 playoffs. They certainly can play at least 1 game better than last year, a 10-6 record is in the playoff conversation. If they make playoffs 2nd straight year then you have to consider them a decent team and if they catch lightning and win a few playoff games again who knows.
    The Colts are still the class of the AFC. Other strong teams are Patriots, Chargers, Ravens and there are several that have something to prove – Steelers.
    You must admit Sanchez played extremely well for a rookie QB in the playoffs in 2009, and any team with SB visions needs QB to be solid.

35. jetboy says: Apr 8, 2010 4:46 PM

BernieMac says:
    April 8, 2010 2:19 PM
    dedhed says:
    April 8, 2010 1:33 PM
    taylor ineffective last year…. let him walk
    What games were you watching?
    Yeah what games were you watching? O wait he’s a Dolphfan they don’t watch football, they have their camera’s pointed at their star studded ownership suites.

36. WickedDolphan says: Apr 8, 2010 4:49 PM

I have been a die hard Dolphin fan for over 25 years now and most of that time has not been kind to us. One of the teams that always has been a thorn is the Jets — I hate them .
    But, boy are they doing everything I wish the Fish would do –trading for Edwards, going and getting Scott, trading up for Sanchez, signing Tomlinson— probably signing Taylor.
    Lets face it our team is cheap — they have been for some time and we will have a hard time over
    the next 10 years getting past the Jets and the Pats —
    I have to wonder how much longer I can take it —
    Dolphins ownership can’t even spell Super Bowl.
    If i was the NFL , I would not give Miami another Super Bowl until they showed they even cared about winning.
    Signing Dansby does nothing for me — trading to get Marshall does, signing Cromartie would have—
    Close to done with them —

37. jetboy says: Apr 8, 2010 4:53 PM

InBBWeTrust says:
    April 8, 2010 2:21 PM
    We believe in our team every year not like your crappy fan base in Miami, O by the way it’s called DEFENSE, thats how we think were gonna get to the Super Bowl, and I believe we also have a great O line, great running backs, good receiving core, and a quarterback that has no where to go but up.

38. TheSleepness says: Apr 8, 2010 7:51 PM

hey the saints just won the superbowl and the cards almost won it the previous year. I think the jets are for real. the afc east is gonna be brutal between the fins/pats/and jets..sorry bills…idk where u guys been for the past decade.

39. ltbw038 says: Apr 8, 2010 8:30 PM

No where to go but up, yes thats true. When you are on the bottom, Sanchez can only go up, or out.

40. monropoobah says: Apr 9, 2010 4:24 AM

finsbooyah
    :Oh by the way, I’m from Jersey, and the Jet fans around here are the lowest form of ignorant trash. Need an example? I’m glad to give you one. When I was 11 or 12 years old at a Dolphins/Jets game at the meadowlands with a friend my same age (while his parents sat in a different section). I forget what the score was, but the Fins had scored a TD in the second half and I jumped and and cheered as all little kids would do. This prompted some assh*le sitting behind me (who was at least in his mid 40s) to dump his beer on me. Real classy. I’ve had nothing but hate for the Jets and their fans ever since.
    i’m sorry about this guy. what a piece of crap. don’t you get the feeling that he probably posts on here? for years the best games i’ve watched as a jet fan have been between the jets and fins. what ‘firefights’. often the jets have sucked. but they’ve had some great wins too. with tuna and sparano down there and the jets improved direction, there’s some great football ahead. i can’t wait. i wish i could buy you a beer bud. if that happened anything near how you told it, the guy is a pathetic douche. (i don’t use that word in real life, only on here.)
    go jets!

41. finsbooyah says: Apr 9, 2010 10:21 AM

monropoobah, that’s how it should be. It’s good to see some people still actually know how to be passionate about football without being a total jackass… I talk trash but it’s all in good fun… Some losers take this stuff wayy too seriously. Anyway, I stand by my story, but I still go to games at the meadowlands whenever I get the chance and nothing quite like that has happened since (I’m 25 now).
    Dolphins/Jets rivalry is one of the best in the NFL. No matter how good or bad one of the teams is, the games are always a dog fight.