Target Field could help the Vikings get their new home

We give baseball a hard time around here.  But we’ve got to give the game that used to be America’s pastime some credit.

The new baseball stadium built for the Minnesota Twins apparently has helped the folks in the Land of 10,000 Lakes warm up to the notion of public funding for a new football stadium.

Sid Hartman, veteran scribe at the Minneapolis Star Tribune, believes that the positive reaction to Target Field has helped the Vikings’ cause

The football-only facility is expected to cost $870 million, $250 million more than Target Field.  The Minnesota Legislature currently is considering proposal that would contribute $40 million per year to the effort.

45 responses to “Target Field could help the Vikings get their new home

1. Ticket prices for the Twins increased 45% over last year. They will fill the stadium regularly this year due to the novelty of the thing, but after that it will be a hard sell.
    If the Vikings expect to do the same sort of thing, they will be playing in front of a half empty stadium every game after year one. Prices for tickets to the Dome are exorbitant already.

2. It makes me want to vomit every time I hear some meathead Packer fan calling our beloved Vikings the L.A. Vikings. Shifty’s telling you the Vikes are going to be in Minnesota for a long long time. Good for you dork Packer fans. Now get back to your job at McDonald’s.

3. Didn’t Pervy say it was already in the works? He knows all…so I am going to listen to him and go from there.

4. They have a McDonald’s in GreenBay? …lol
    shiftyshellshocked says:
    April 9, 2010 2:39 PM

5. shiftyshellshocked says: April 9, 2010 2:39 PM
    ——————-
    You may not like them being called the L.A. Vikings, but it doesn’t mean that it won’t happen or that the Vikings will get a stadium. Hell, they couldn’t even get legislation passed during a budget SURPLUS, you think they’re going to get one now? There was a recent pre-easter vote that was 132-0 for using any of the money for a jobs creation bill towards a stadium. The only chance you have of getting one is if it’s payed by some sort of gambling, slot machine, lottery ticket scheme. Even if that ends up being the case, expect the Native American tribes to file lawsuit after lawsuit for infringing on their monopoly.

6. Has Brett aprroved the possibilty of a new stadium?…Has he been consulted?….Afterall, the Vikings and their pathetic fan base spend their entire lives kissing his ass, you might want to inform the queen bee…..

7. Ticket prices for the Twins increased 45% over last year. They will fill the stadium regularly this year due to the novelty of the thing, but after that it will be a hard sell.
    This is the idiot that thinks gas should still be .50 cents a gallon. The tickets to Target Field are not out of line at all. Try to buy a ticket to a Cubs game you fool…….The Twins have one of the more reasonable ticket packages in the majors….
    I can not stand stupid people…..get a clue!

8. Milhouse, thats ridiculous. Half empty stadium?
    Bring an exciting winning product to the field, and they will come. Nothing else to it.

9. @ LBPACKFAN- I knew the acts were in motion. All L.A. talk was fantasy for haters. So you are going to listen to me? Good! Now go get me a beer bitch!

10. # shiftyshellshocked says: April 9, 2010 2:39 PM
    **************
    L.A. Vikings

11. jwesty –
    The Fan Cost Index (four average tickets, two beers, four soft drinks and hot dogs, parking, two programs and two adult caps) for the Twins this year is $11.80 higher than the MLB average. The average cost of an individual ticket is the 7th highest (out of 30) in MLB. Your perception of “more reasonable” is obviously different than mine.

12. shiftyshellshocked says:
    April 9, 2010 2:39 PM
    It makes me want to vomit every time I hear some meathead Packer fan calling our beloved Vikings the L.A. Vikings. Good for you dork Packer fans. Now get back to your job at McDonald’s.
    __________________________________
    You should be in LA ……….writing for TV or the movies. I have never read anything so original. “…meathead Packer fan…” OMG that’s some funny stuff. Where do you come up with it? “…dork Packer fans….” STOP! YOU’RE KILLING ME! “….”Now get back to your job at McDonalds….” PHFFFTT. I just sprayed my coffee all over the place. Oh man….you cannot make this stuff up, that is some funny original stuff. Keep up the good work!

13. Florio, you are comparing apples and oranges. The Twins = Class organization that has produced 2 World Champions and a competitive team on an annual basis. The Vikings = 40 plus years of Zero Championships and horrible ownership year after year after year.

14. Glad to see you’re still in good form Perv. Congrats on the positive talk. Hopefully all the LAS talk disappears soon. Too many storied rivalries in the NFC North to muck it up.

15. Hate to break it you Vikes fans……but if teams like the Baltimore Colts and Cleveland Browns can be moved so can the Vikes. There are a handful of “untouchable” teams in the NFL and Minnesota is not among them. Don’t woryy though……a team called the Vikings wouldn’t make much sense in Los Angeles. They’ll probably change the name after the move call them the Los Angeles Quakes or something.

16. I hate public funding for stadiums that the owners and players then profit from. Why should the public pay for the stadium, so the team can screw them in prices for tickets. When you hear the public clamoring for a new stadium, then you can ask them to kick in. When its the owners, then they should carry the entire cost.

17. Pervy Harvin says:
    April 9, 2010 3:08 PM
    ————
    Shut your hole Pervy. KFC is on its way.

18. I’m a Bears fan, I still think it’s bad sportsmanship to hope the Vikings move to LA. My opinion is the Vikes and the Lions need to ditch those domes, make the other divisions play outside in the cold whenever the play the NFC North.

19. The Vikings will be in MN for a very long time and as long as they win, they could build a new stadium and have it be feasible to fill. Pat Kessler mentioned the other night that a bill will be drawn up and a vote will happen this year, but it’s very unlikely to pass. Imagine a city with a new Big 10 stadium, Baseball stadium, and Football stadium…. Would be sweet.
    And for the dumb rubes on the site, I support this because watching the Pack destroy the Vikes in a dome is just plain LAME.

20. I don’t understand all the Packer fans wanting the Vikes to leave Minny. I am a huge Vikes fan, but i would never want GB to move to another city. They are the team that I love to hate and if they were to move somewhere else it just wouldn’t be the same. So why do the Packer fans want the Vikes out?

21. sorry- It’s going to make more than a blurb from a 100 year old columnist who’s about as clueless as a box of rocks to convince me that people have “warmed up” to the idea of yet another stadium. And I’m a guy who would be just fine if they build it.

22. They just need to find some suitable corporate sponsor, one that fits in with the team’s history… Avis Stadium, perhaps?

23. AP Guy –
    I agree…generally, we say that to get a rise out of the Vikes fans…just like they can take “Favre lit you up twice” jabs at us.
    I never want to see the Vikes leave…the rivalry is too much fun (and stressful at times!)

24. # shiftyshellshocked says: April 9, 2010 2:39 PM
    ***********************************************
    This baby is already crying before anyone even says anything about the L.A. Vikings. I’m going to invest in kleenex knowing there are criers like that out there.

25. @ rulz- Been trying to get into the club!
    @ LBPACKFAN – MMMM You know the good high octane stuff! Could I get a pack of Newports with that?
    Supersuckers- I don’t eat that crap! I want Red Lobster! With a side of chitlins

26. I as a Packer fan would never want the Vikings to leave Minnesota just as I would always want the Bears to be in Chicago. The history between the teams is so thick that anything else would be a disappointment.

27. TryTheVeal says:
    April 9, 2010 2:54 PM
    ————–
    Whoah hold on…lets back this up a second. Vikings and their pathetic fan base spend their entire lives kissing his ass? Lets see, Brett briefly played for the Falcons before he went to have a long career with the Packer. Spent one season with the Jets and then last year with the Vikings. So by your disrespect towards sanity and math you decided that one year with the Vikings equates to Vikings fans kissing is ass all their lives? PLEASE come back and respond to this comment because I would surely like to know where you got that from…pretty please.

28. The Viking fans might be warmed up to the idea of a new stadium but have they warmed up to actually buying tickets?
    The only reason LA is even mentioned is because Ziggy knows how hard it is to hit up the local Mpls based businesses every time a black out is mentioned. He would rather be a hero in LA where only the women wear dresses, not the head coach of his own football team.

29. Sid is old and clueless. The Twins are a class organization and they play way more games, hence get far more use out of it. I wasn’t crazy about the idea of not putting a roof on it, but after seeing last weekend, glad they didn’t.
    The Vikings have an east coast owner who would have had a stadium built in Blaine if not for screwing around and using them to try and get a better deal in Minneapolis. JUST SAY NO TO ZIGGY TOWN!!!

30. I’ll be very surprised if the Vikes get public money for a new stadium. Minneapolis is a lousy sports town – they even have problems selling out playoff games. I do admit there are some fervent fans but not in the numbers to support public financing. I do hope they get it built and stay in town.
    If money was needed for an art museum or the Guthrie they wouldn’t even take a vote, they would just allocate.

31. Pervy Harvin says:
    April 9, 2010 4:44 PM
    @ rulz- Been trying to get into the club!
    ———————
    Pervy you whigger. you eat fried chicken and you know it

32. is it really that complicatred Contra…….Really………The entire Minnesota fan base kisses the ass of a division rival, cause he now plays for you…….Nothing but a BUNCH of front running kiss asses…………back up for all the seconds you want……….Kiss ass……………Like i said……….PATHETIC

33. TryTheVeal says:
    April 9, 2010 5:42 PM
    ————–
    I understand but you said we kiss his ass all our lives yet he has only been with the Vikings 1 year. Youre the one who needs to slow down and think before posting. YOU are the one who is PATHETIC!

34. It’s been a few years since a pro sports team ditched the twin cities. Isn’t there some quota they need to fill?
    L.A. Vikings …. coming to the west cost soon.

35. It’s been a few years since a pro sports team ditched the twin cities. Isn’t there some quota they need to fill?
    L.A. Vikings …. coming to the west coast soon.

36. Contra….im gonna have to agree with veal…its pretty pathetic.
    Imagine if Derek Jeter got traded to the Red Sox late in his career. Do you think Red Sox Nation would embrace him as a hero? no.
    Because Sox fans (unlike queens fans) have some pride.

37. Caldon says:
    April 9, 2010 3:35 PM
    =====================================
    So by your logic, you shouldn’t be able to get a loan to buy a house or car or start or expand a business. After all, it’s other people’s money paying for those things, so perhaps if you want them, you should buy them yourself?