DeSean Jackson: Youth movement brings "new energy" to Philly

The Philadelphia Eagles’ decision to trade Donovan McNabb and declare Kevin Kolb their starting quarterback was the most significant step in a movement by the team to get younger in 2010.

One of the Eagles’ youngest players, 23-year-old wide receiver DeSean Jackson, says that movement has made the team more energetic than it was in his first two seasons.

“Not to say when McNabb was here it wasn’t fun,” Jackson said. “We were always able to have fun. It just feels like some new energy is coming around and guys are pumped up.”

The average age of the Eagles’ projected 2010 starters on offense is 25, and Reuben Frank of the Burlington County Times quotes several of those projected starters making statements about their enthusiasm for the team’s youth movement — even as they’re careful not to say anything that would be perceived as a slight to McNabb, Brian Westbrook or any other departed veteran.

“There are a lot of guys there that have proven themselves young,” Kolb said, “and we’re not afraid to go out there young and prove it again.”

Permalink 64 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
64 Responses to “DeSean Jackson: Youth movement brings "new energy" to Philly”
  1. Envyisyoursin says: Apr 12, 2010 9:55 AM

Let’s just hope that Philly made the right choice by trading McNabb and handing the keys to the kingdom to Kolb.

2. Krow says: Apr 12, 2010 9:57 AM

I know he’s just a kid… but what a douchebag. Shut up child. There’s no reason to make any comments. There’s nothing helpful you can say.

3. myeaglescantwin says: Apr 12, 2010 10:04 AM

I feel Kolb fits the Philly offense better than Dmac. Imagine our O when the qb can complete more than 58% of his passes. get this cat another stud O-linemen & watch.
    & Mornhenweg, you’re fired. Andy told me to let you know. Get your things and go back to Detroit

4. stevemcguigan says: Apr 12, 2010 10:06 AM

Not gonna lie. I’m excited for the season. Let’s see what the kids can do.
    Most importantly, it’s a reboot of fan expectations. With so many young guys starting, it’s the first time in about 7 years the city won’t be in “Win the Super Bowl or the entire season is a complete failure” mode.

5. Hosstyle In Tampa says: Apr 12, 2010 10:06 AM

Careful what you wish for, Philly fan, you might not like what you get…

6. Eagles4life says: Apr 12, 2010 10:07 AM

Hope they are right. I think the team has quite a few holes to fill before this youth movement really gets any thing done.

7. RegalEagle says: Apr 12, 2010 10:13 AM

I love what Djax brings to the game…but for the love of god…..SHUT UP!
    I have heard this dude in interviews all around philly and he has NO personality. He has really good football talent and will do very well this year, but he needs to shut up and be a leader.

8. WarrenMoonGOAT says: Apr 12, 2010 10:14 AM

can’t wait to see how things will change by week 8 when there not in playoff contention

9. downwithdansnyder says: Apr 12, 2010 10:16 AM

If I hear any more about their youth movement I’m going to puke. We get it. Move on.

10. bluestree says: Apr 12, 2010 10:16 AM

Youth is wasted on young. Get ready to lose some ballgames, maybe a lot of ballgames.

11. hotep999 says: Apr 12, 2010 10:16 AM

Young peoples philosophy on team upgrades = more young people.

12. eaglemafia says: Apr 12, 2010 10:16 AM

FLY EAGLES FLY!!!!!!!!

13. allday28 says: Apr 12, 2010 10:17 AM

yeah a losing movement.
    The Eagles have no idea how bad they messed up

14. surefooted says: Apr 12, 2010 10:18 AM

There is a paragraph that you and Florio keep mysteriously omitting in your talk about McNabb.
    “This overhaul is the product not only of the season-ending 24-0 and 34-14 losses to the Cowboys but of a five-year stretch from 2005-09 in which McNabb won only two playoff games and the Eagles dropped three straight years in the NFL offense rankings – from No. 2 in 2006 to sixth in 2007, ninth in 2008 and 11th last year.”

15. PPinDC says: Apr 12, 2010 10:19 AM

There are a lot of unknowns to be sure about Kolb going into the season, but one thing is for sure, the kid sure has the confidence and attitude to captain the ship going forward. Pretty refreshing after hearing McNabb be noncommittal and “aw shucks”.

16. irishgary says: Apr 12, 2010 10:21 AM

This guy continues to stick his foot in his mouth.

17. GrimJack says: Apr 12, 2010 10:22 AM

I can’t wait for the first ball Kevin ‘Lobs’ to DeSean. He’ll really understand the phrase ‘new energy’ when the DBs have that extra second to close on his kidneys.
    But at least he’s built to take that kind of abuse…oh, wait.

18. tombrookshire says: Apr 12, 2010 10:25 AM

That last statement by Kolb is puzzling. Does he mean that they have made youthful (stupid) mistakes before and will make more of them? Or, does he mean that they have a lot of youthful energy and it will be fun to watch? Kolb should keep quiet at this point. Jackson is the offense’s leader now and should do all the talking. Kolb should let his play speak for him for the time being, until he is ready to assume the reigns of leadership. Otherwise, he will appear idiotic for talking the talk before he has walked the walk.

19. rh44 says: Apr 12, 2010 10:26 AM

It’s not a controversial statement if it’s blatantly obvious and true.

20. StephB says: Apr 12, 2010 10:26 AM

and the disrespect from the Eagles continues….

21. Youngone says: Apr 12, 2010 10:27 AM

I hope this team falls flat on their face without any Veteran’s there to pick them up and dust them off.

22. Opie says: Apr 12, 2010 10:28 AM

Damn, damn, damn! Why can’t everyone just keep their mouths shut and play ball. The exuberance of youth is sometimes wasted…..

23. KingJoe! says: Apr 12, 2010 10:31 AM

New energy is fine – for the love of god do not allow Kolb to dance or play air guitar on his way out to the field.

24. Dawkamaniak says: Apr 12, 2010 10:32 AM

It better!!!

25. daffx4 says: Apr 12, 2010 10:47 AM

Younger is better!!!… Especially when we’re talking about 18 year old Christina @ the local Tilted Kilt…

26. Hap says: Apr 12, 2010 10:48 AM

If 1 player being gone made their avg age of starters 25, it could not have been much more with a 33 yr old qb starting. BAD correlation here, MDS. Last time I checked, teams had 22 starters (not including special teams).
    Did 0-3 against The Cowboys PROVE IT, Kolb? Oh, I guess it actually did prove they were young.

27. nasheagles says: Apr 12, 2010 10:50 AM

until they get 2 OLB and 2 Safeties the D is not good? the young Studs on offense will need to outgun everyone.

28. JerseyJoe says: Apr 12, 2010 10:51 AM

I hope the Young guns win the SuperBowl and shut all you Ealge haters to hell up once and for all.

29. JollyRoger says: Apr 12, 2010 11:05 AM

Youth movement? Child please.

30. dieselthebulldog says: Apr 12, 2010 11:11 AM

The Eagles trade was well worth it. They should be able to trade there #24, #55, and #121 picks to Cleveland for the #7 overall pick. Then they could draft Eric Berry and still keep there high end 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks.

31. jan van flac says: Apr 12, 2010 11:25 AM

all they need to do is run the ball more, not make Kolb win games by himself and also take pressure off of the D and they will be fine.
    I maintain that there really isn’t anything wrong with their defense, it’s hard to have great stats when you’re on the field 2/3s of every game.
    the Mike Bell signing, the Weaver resigning indicates that they know that though.

32. hotep999 says: Apr 12, 2010 11:26 AM

For anyone screaming about the 3 Cowboy losses in 09:
    There was a posting here a few weeks back from Keith Brooking in regards to the offensive & defensive predictability of the Eagles in 09.
    Last time I checked, the coaches were not part of this McNabb trade. I guess DeSean feels this youth movement or “new energy” will produce faster execution of predictable plays.

33. scorpiodsu says: Apr 12, 2010 11:28 AM

I’m an eagles fan and I just want everyone to shut up. Games aren’t played in April and desean needs to keep quiet. Yeah for his last 2 years he was in the NFC championship and playoffs. Let’s see how the “energy” is if we don’t make the playoffs and the qb can’t launch the ball 60 yards down the field.

34. DJ says: Apr 12, 2010 11:31 AM

Who is this guy “Veteran” and why does he have a “there” that picks up things and dusts?

35. realitypolice says: Apr 12, 2010 11:32 AM

Every time this knucklehead opens his mouth, I’m reminded of the classic Anchorman scene:
    ” Take it easy, Champ. Why don’t you sit this next one out, stop talking for a while.”
    Seriously DJ, put a lid on it for awhile.

36. Bwa Ha Ha says: Apr 12, 2010 11:32 AM

Time moves on.
    When Cunningham replaced Jaworski, it was time
    When McNabb replaced “all them other guys” it was time.
    Now that Kolb has replaced Mcnabb, it is time

37. Bigbluefan says: Apr 12, 2010 11:44 AM

Thank you Filthy egals you just made it easier to win the East
    One hit on deshan and it is deover
    Kolb needs protections and he better pray he gets it.
    Egals at the end of the year let us know what it is like to finish 4ths
    BTW 11 SBs won by current NFC East Teams that is 25% of all Trophies are in Dallas , Washington or the Meadowlands
    And ZERO in the land of making love to your brother

38. Dapollock says: Apr 12, 2010 11:45 AM

The one side-effect of the youth movement is that it leads up to a lot of full diapers.

39. sportnut says: Apr 12, 2010 11:56 AM

It doesn’t matter who they have in there. As long as they keep passing the ball as much as they do the results will be the same every year. They should of let Reid go as well.

40. sportnut says: Apr 12, 2010 11:59 AM

The Eagles will never win a superbowl as long as Reid is the coach.

41. Bigbluefan says: Apr 12, 2010 12:15 PM

This is going to be fun twice a year cheering for the Skins #5 when he beat the egals

42. RedRaider58 says: Apr 12, 2010 12:23 PM

I’ll say it again….
    Same Coach
    Same Offensive Gameplan
    =
    Same results.
    It DOESN’T MATTER who is the QB. Throw the ball 60% of the game with a non existent running game, the results will be the same. When you decide to pass 3 consecutive plays in a row, starting on your own 20, in the 4th quarter with the lead… you are GOING TO LOSE.
    Does anyone really think that Kolb makes a difference in any of the Cowboy games last year? Does anyone believe that Kolb would have been able to avoid the pass rush by D. Ware last year during the playoff game, when Jason Peters is belly flopping on the ground in front of him?
    As an avid Eagles fan, I truly hope that Kolb proves me wrong… because they’re going to have to pass 60 times a game with that defense they’re going to have……

43. HappyBunny says: Apr 12, 2010 12:39 PM

Listening to Kolb and Jackson made me flash back to an episode of Family Guy, when Peter and his buddies got everyone all worked up about their newly-formed band and as soon as they got ready to perform for the first time on stage, Peter said, “Oh my God, I just realized we don’t know any songs.”

44. DJ says: Apr 12, 2010 12:43 PM

@realitypolice
    I know you’re too stupid to realize this, but I was referring to another idiotic posting by another twit that doesn’t know the basic rules of grammar and punctuation.
    Do keep trying to sound like you have the first clue.
    It wouldn’t be the first time. Let us hope it is the last.

45. DJ says: Apr 12, 2010 12:57 PM

There is a school of thought where there won’t be so much passing because the QB can and will complete many more high percentage throws than the former had.
    Think about it. McNabb’s comp % was so low, and he was in top 5 (when healthy) in attempts every season.
    If he completed just 10% of those high percentage attempts (5-10 yds), it would lead to a high completion percentage, that would result in more 1st downs, more TOP, more yardage, and, conceivably, more points.
    Given the fact the offense is predicated on those HPP, and Kolb has shown in a limited amount of exposure that he can execute those throws better than McNabb, you might see a dropoff in pass attempts as a result.
    …………Or not.

46. RedRaider58 says: Apr 12, 2010 1:23 PM

@ DJ…. not….

47. Kevin from Philly says: Apr 12, 2010 1:47 PM

Even with a young QB, the offense will be fine. It’s the defense we have to get back up to par.

48. P-way Eagles says: Apr 12, 2010 1:48 PM

Yea…..You posted this last week…You just added one sentence at the end of the story. Horrible.

49. realitypolice says: Apr 12, 2010 2:00 PM

DJ says:
    April 12, 2010 12:43 PM
    @realitypolice
    Do keep trying to sound like you have the first clue.
    It wouldn’t be the first time. Let us hope it is the last.
    =============================
    Listen, you arrogant jerk off- I wasn’t referring to you. Your post wasn’t even up when I typed that (check the times retard- yours was 11:31, mine 11:32, and they were posted simultaneously).
    I was referring, you blow hard douchebag, to DeSean Jackson– You know (or maybe you don’t, waterhead) D as in DeSean, J as in Jackson.
    The world doesn’t revolve around, moron. I wasn’t telling you to stop talking before, but you know what?
    I AM NOW.

50. doubldipp says: Apr 12, 2010 2:13 PM

I like D Jackson and Maclin as WR but it takes a WR a few years to know how to get open in this league. speed is not just going to get it. When your a young player you need help from the Vets to show you how to play in the NFL, because teams watch alot of film on you and can shut you down. Now you add an inexperience QB.

51. realitypolice says: Apr 12, 2010 2:18 PM

DJ says:
    April 12, 2010 12:43 PM
    @realitypolice
    Do keep trying to sound like you have the first clue.
    It wouldn’t be the first time. Let us hope it is the last.
    =============================
    Just in case they don’t post my first response because it’s so nasty, I will also post a more subdued one.
    I highly doubt your smarter than me, because if you were you would realize that I was referring to DeSean Jackson when I typed “DJ”…….because, you see, those are his initials.
    And how would you know I was referring to him and not you?
    Because, you idiot, your post (which I understood completely by the way) was put up on the board AT THE EXACT SAME TIME MINE WAS and I could not possibly have been commenting on your post because I hadn’t seen it yet.
    *eyes rolling*

52. eaglesfan723! says: Apr 12, 2010 3:06 PM

I am a loyal Eagles fan of 44 years, I find the comments about this team crazy. When Dmac was here all the post wanted him gone. Now he is gone and now everyone is upset the Eagles traded him and are upset at the youth movement. If you have been a true fan like me. I have a few words that will put this all into prospective. Rich Kotite and Ray Rhodes. Does anyone remember those stellar teams? How soon we forget……. If you don’t like the moves this team makes, don’t pay to watch at the Linc or watch on TV. Or hey better yet just buy the team and run it like you want. You don’t write the checks so let the people who run it do their job this is professional football not fantasy league……………….

53. Mooch says: Apr 12, 2010 3:18 PM

McNabb taught Jackson what exactly? For a decade, whenever the team went down by more than 2 scored, McNabb would wander off and sulk by himself at the end of the bench. He never l;ooked at film on the sideline, and the only phone I ever saw him on belonged to the NY Giants.
    C’mon, you saw the same thing. he never talks to teammates when they are losing or struggling.
    Every game for a decade+. It’s on film. We all saw it.
    I think Avant has a lot to share. Kid has half the talent of Desean and has been very productive.

54. DJ says: Apr 12, 2010 5:36 PM

@realitypolice
    Just so there is no confusion..
    And that matters how? All that signifies is that it was POSTED BY THE MODERATOR AT THE SAME TIME. Has absolutely zero relevance of when you did or didn’t see my post and seeing that it was one minute later only means he was sending out posts en masse, given the fact that there was an additional post AFTER mine.
    Besides, you specifically and directly used my “name”. Maybe YOU should be more direct and specific about who or what you are referring to or talking to or about.

55. Footbawler says: Apr 12, 2010 7:08 PM

McNabb was not responsible for Jackson’s multiple dropped passes at the Cowboys games.
    DeSean was so busy looking fearfully at the big defenders headed his way that he forgot to (look-it-in) at the ball.
    Cluck, cluck, DeSean. You were acting like a chicken up against the Cowboys.
    Maybe when you get a little OLDER you’ll be able to take the hit and catch the ball. Too bad McNabb and Westbrook didn’t have time to teach you how.

56. Footbawler says: Apr 12, 2010 7:10 PM

Jackson’s comments make me think of that song: Girls just wanna have fun.
    Cluck, cluck.

57. Bious says: Apr 12, 2010 7:13 PM

Philly fans will turn on the starters before you can say EAGLES

58. LATRELL843 says: Apr 12, 2010 10:24 PM

I think Desean JAckson BIG MOUTH is gonna get him in alot of trouble this season

59. Playoffs?! says: Apr 12, 2010 10:39 PM

New energy doesn’t necessarily mean wins. Good luck going 5-11 0-3girls!

60. Duck Fallas says: Apr 13, 2010 7:41 AM

DeSean Jackson will go to the Pro Bowl.

61. Mooch says: Apr 13, 2010 1:19 PM

“Yea well lets see how the energy is when they start losing games and/or don’t win the Super Bowl next year”
    Probably it’ll be similar to 2008 and 2009, when they lost to almost every winning team (unless they were missing their starting QB and RB) and didn’t win the Super Bowl.
    PS – Desean didn’t need 20 guys to drop out in order to make the Pro Bowl. Someone else did, though.

62. BleedsEagleGreen says: Apr 13, 2010 9:12 PM

I am so sick of watching DMac miss passes or not see the open man then return to the sideline with that big smile as if to say this is fun and only a game. Bull, this a fun, yes, but this is a business and a fan based sport. A fan base that expects to go deep into the playoffs every year. DMac lost his internal fire. I want a QB like Brady, Big Ben or even Garcia, somebody with fire and a pair big enough to carry the team. Smiles are great after the game has been won! DMac will always have my respect and gratefulness for all the good times he provided but I for one am happy I won’t have to see that big smile as he comes off the field at 4th and whatever! Go Young Guns!

63. yeahyeahyeah15 says: Apr 14, 2010 10:17 AM

I am an Eagles fan, and of course I feel a certain camaraderie with my fellow Eagles fans, but I must say you people sound like a bunch of losers with your idiotic comments. It is downright embarrassing that the entire country thinks Eagles fans are a bunch of whiners… It is because of you.
    Do you think that by being consistently negative you are somehow effecting the team’s outcome and the decisions of the front office? Just shut the #&%! up! Players make comments because reporters are constantly thrusting microphones in their face and asking them questions. You are different. Nobody wants to hear what you think.
    Expressing your opinion is one thing, but for god’s sake stop whining! The past was good and the future will be better. But it has nothing to do with you. You are merely a spectator.
    Do… you… u-n-d-e-r-s-t-a-n-d?

64. Mooch says: Apr 16, 2010 4:12 PM

So, by your own rationale you should not have posted that shrill rant.
    Genius.