Belichick: "Plenty of calls" about second round picks

Speaking at his annual pre-draft press conference, Bill Belichick said he’s received “plenty of calls” about his three second-round picks already.

“That isn’t surprising to me,” Belichick said. “I’m not saying that anything will or
won’t happen. I think that’s pretty common at this point in the process,
a week or so before the draft, where you start to talk to teams and try
to get a feel for whether they would or wouldn’t be interested in
moving a particular pick. It expedites the process a little bit when you
get to draft day.”

Belichick shed some light on how conversations go this far before the draft.

“It’s not so much a specific trade of ‘I’ll give you this, you give me
that,'” Belichick said. “It’s more of ‘Would you be interested in
moving this pick, moving up, or moving down in the first round, or
whatever it happens to be?’ It’s more in that nature.”

No team loves making moves (almost always down) more than the Patriots, and we don’t expect that to change this year with so much ammunition this year.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
34 Responses to “Belichick: "Plenty of calls" about second round picks”
  1. The Real Shuxion says: Apr 14, 2010 12:54 PM

“It’s not so much a specific trade of ‘I’ll give you this, you give me that,'” Belichick said. “It’s more of ‘Would you be interested in moving this pick, moving up, or moving down in the first round, or whatever it happens to be?’ It’s more in that nature.”
    ————————————————-
    I can see him and Rex Ryan on draft day:
    Belichick: I will give you this 30 pack of snickers for that Double Down chicken sandwich.
    Ryan: Well I was planning on eating all 6 of them but give me the 30 pack along with some cookie dough and I will give you two.
    Belichick: Deal, let me call Roger and relay that information.
    Jets Assistant: Mr. Ryan do you want a drink?
    Ryan: Diet Coke.
    GO PATS Draft a pass rusher!!!!!

2. Matt Walsh says: Apr 14, 2010 12:58 PM

The rest of the NFL thanks you.

3. Dr. Kenneth Noisewater says: Apr 14, 2010 1:02 PM

Spy Gate joke. Cheating joke. Jets Super Bowl prediction.

4. prophet of the light says: Apr 14, 2010 1:03 PM

The patriots like to move up after round 3 usually. They just don’t like being in the top 15 and paying those salaries (not because they are cheap but because of how it forces you to operate down the road)

5. Dolphinatic says: Apr 14, 2010 1:08 PM

WHOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO BRANDON MARSHALL !!!!! ooppss wrong board..lol.. Well since I’m here. Cheatriots, Bellicheat.Video Tapes, nuff said.

6. hairyfupa says: Apr 14, 2010 1:11 PM

The 49ers called the Patriots and asked them about moving up if McClain or Bryant are on the board at 13. They also asked New England if they’d be willing to trade out of the first round if Anthony Davis is around at 22.
    Look for the 49ers to swap the 13th pick for the 22nd pick, and add an extra second rounder in the process. The 49ers will then be sitting with picks 17, 22, 47 and 49 in the NFL Draft.
    That spells Iupati, A.Davis, Koa Misi and Dexter McCluster.

7. Dolphinatic says: Apr 14, 2010 1:12 PM

LOL @ Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

8. The Real Shuxion says: Apr 14, 2010 1:13 PM

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater says:
    April 14, 2010 1:02 PM
    Spy Gate joke. Cheating joke. Jets Super Bowl prediction.
    ————————————————-
    I am totally serious when I say this. You are the F’n Man.

9. Ken West says: Apr 14, 2010 1:22 PM

I just hope the commissioner has told Belicheat to stop fleecing the senile old man in Oakland.

10. Iron Wolf says: Apr 14, 2010 1:22 PM

The Pats made a bad deal when they traded a 3 and a 5 to Oakland for Burgess, and I am sure they would like to get these value picks back.

11. jliskiew says: Apr 14, 2010 1:35 PM

LOUD NOISES!

12. PFTiswhatitis says: Apr 14, 2010 1:36 PM

“Matt Walsh says:
    April 14, 2010 12:58 PM
    Keep moving down and passing up players like Clay Matthews for turds like Ron Brace. ”

13. ampats says: Apr 14, 2010 1:36 PM

Hairyfupa???
    Nice theory but I doubt you heard those conversations between the Patriots and 49ers unless your name is York.

14. WarrenMoonGOAT says: Apr 14, 2010 1:44 PM

did the pats relase Burgess?

15. Chiefs2010 says: Apr 14, 2010 1:45 PM

The Seymour and Burgess move were mistakes, in my humble opinion.
    Be cool if the Pats could get a stud running back, although I do hate them.

16. Other Bears says: Apr 14, 2010 1:48 PM

Let’s hope an early 2nd goes to Chicago for Olsen.

17. CapsLockKey says: Apr 14, 2010 1:56 PM

I don’t see how you can trust ANYTHING a coach or GM says leading up to the draft regarding picks and prospects. For all we know he actually has received zero calls and is trying to stir up interest with this.

18. Matt Walsh says: Apr 14, 2010 2:06 PM

Ron Brace sat on the bench the entire year and couldn’t beat out a UDFA for playing time.
    LMFAO, keep em coming joker.

19. HomelandDefense says: Apr 14, 2010 2:18 PM

“Ron Brace is a turd? Brace was able to step in and become a player almost immediately. The guy has a great future. Keep ‘em coming moron. We already know you’re a fn idiot, now we see you know nothing about football too.”
    Any Patriots fan worth his salt knows that Brace didnt do anything last year. He only got into 9 games, and had 8 tackles. That isnt what you want from a 2nd round pick.

20. meatbat says: Apr 14, 2010 2:21 PM

the seymour move was more about being able to sign wilfork. you couldn’t afford both seymour and wilfork. they made the right decision and got a top 10 pick next year out of the deal to boot.

21. rusH1023 says: Apr 14, 2010 2:22 PM

For you “football fans” who like to talk about the Pats trading down out of the first round and selecting turds (you know who you are), look no further than two years ago when they moved UP to #10 and selected the future ROTY.
    Dumbdumbs.

22. SKINSFANTOM says: Apr 14, 2010 2:33 PM

please take fatass for a 2nd bill. i promise he”ll play hard for the cheater-um- i mean the patriots.

23. neilp says: Apr 14, 2010 2:35 PM

As a Pats fan I hate to tell you this but we moved down from 7 to 10 to take Jerod Mayo!

24. DB26 says: Apr 14, 2010 2:41 PM

I doubt we see the 49ers move down….. Most likely moving up to secure one of the top Tackles. Sorry Charlie, but their aren’t too many Tackles in the NFL that weren’t Top 10 picks. Bottom line, Anthony Davis is projected #22 for a reason….. He isn’t as good as Bulaga, Campbell, Williams, or Okung. They could also be interested in Claussen too, which they would need to move in front of Buffalo and Oakland for any of the Top 4 Tackles or Claussen. If you try to tell me they are content with Smith too, I will let you borrow the extra 2 million dollars that I have in an offshore bank account located in Switzerland.
    The moves you suggest make sense, but the Pats won’t move up, EVER in the 1st. Moving down from the 22…. Possible, but I more so see SF moving up, still having 2 picks in the 1st, and selling that #49 to get one of the top tier LT’s or Claussen + Spiller @ 17.

25. ampats says: Apr 14, 2010 2:52 PM

Sorry rusH but they had #7 pick and traded back to 10

26. tomservo24 says: Apr 14, 2010 2:53 PM

Matt Walsh you ignorant douche. Pats picked Darius Butler with the trade down with the Packers, who should be a starting corner for the Pats this year. They also got Brandon Tate, WR who was on IR, Julian Edelman, who will replace Wes Welker while he’s out, and the 44th pick this year from that deal. Yeah, what a moronic decision.
    And yeah, Brace didn’t do anything last year, and Pryor, a 6th rounder NOT and UDFA, played better than him, but calling him a bust after 1 year? Give the guy a chance.

27. Midway Monster says: Apr 14, 2010 3:07 PM

Other Bears says:
    “Let’s hope an early 2nd goes to Chicago for Olsen”
    I certainly am not going to hope that Chicago gives up a decent TE for an unproven draft pick. Are you going to tell me that you are really that confident that the Bears staff will make good on that pick? I hope its defense or O line if they do it.

28. Ranoversquarells says: Apr 14, 2010 3:34 PM

Olsen likes Bears …

29. Matt Walsh says: Apr 14, 2010 4:23 PM

Hilarious, none of the marble mouthed bandwagon chowds know a damn thing about they’re own team.
    Bwahahahahhahahahahahhahaha

30. DolphinDave says: Apr 14, 2010 4:31 PM

tomservo24, you must be slow…. Ron Brace IS a turd and Darrius Butler is your retort? You mean the guy that Miami passed up for their TWO other STARTING CB’s in last years draft. S. Smith and V.Davis make Butler look like a CHUMP! Enjoy the bottom of the AFC East Pats fans!

31. DolphinDave says: Apr 14, 2010 4:33 PM

and Julian Edelman…. REALLY? One good game and he’s the next Welker? Come on, get real

32. Ralphie says: Apr 14, 2010 5:13 PM

MattWalsh and YawnFlorio are actually the same poster.
    AssTard, if you’re really getting tired of logging in and out of your multiple PFT accounts just wrap em’ all up into a single poster.
    I’m sure “All_My_PFT_Personalities_Hate_The_Pats” is still up for grabs.

33. TheWizard says: Apr 14, 2010 11:14 PM

Enjoy the bottom of the AFC East Pats fans
    They have to dump Ginn already and you’re crowing about the Pats?
    Jesus Christ man, get a grip.

34. biggregmoney says: Apr 15, 2010 11:39 AM

@ DolphinDave
    Idiot!
    V Davis was a 1st round pick as predicted and the # 1 rated CB going into last year’s draft meaning Butler was probably not gonna get picked before Davis. Dolphins didn’t have to think too much there.
    S Smith was drafted AFTER D Butler so you’re beloved porpoises (hat’s what a Dolphin is just in case) didn’t have a shot at Butler.
    Follow the numbers if you can.
    Davis started 9 games and had 4 INTs with 64 return yards and 1TD and made 45 tackles (btw, it’s not good when your corner has 45 tackles) and 11 passes defensed. Real good!
    Smith started 16 games (why is the 2nd rounder starting all 16 when the “stud” 1st rounder only starts 9?). He had ZERO INTs with ZERO return yards and ZERO TDs and 31 tackles with 12 PD. Not bad.
    Butler started 5 games with 3 INTs for 91 return yards and 1TD and 32 tackles and 8 PD. Again, not bad. And better stats than the guy who started 16.
    Edelman was a SEVENTH round pick and a converted college QB who caught 37 passes for 359 yards and 1TD with 7 starts as the 3-4 receiver. He is NOT Welker, but that’s pretty damn good for a 7th round converted college QB.
    All four guys are real good. I just can’t stand it when people like you are blinded by hatred in your assessment of other teams.
    Brace? Bad rookie year as a 2nd rounder. I expected more as a Pats fan and a BC alum! I hope he’s better this year.