St. Louis waits for Kroenke to state desire to keep Rams in town

Many of us non-Missourians assumed that the intention of Stan Kroenke to buy the 60-percent chunk of the Rams that he doesn’t currently own means that the franchise would remain in St. Louis, given that Kroenke is a Missouri native.

Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch makes a great point in this regard.  Kroenke’s statement of his intention to buy out Chip Rosenbloom and Lucia Rodriguez says nothing about the franchise’s location.

“I wasn’t the only person who picked up on that,” Miklasz writes, later adding that if Kroenke wishes to comment on the team’s future in St. Louis, “there’s no shortage of STL media folks who will be pleased to get the word out.”

Meanwhile, Los Angeles Times columnist T.J. Simers (via Miklasz) points out the connections between Kroenke and L.A., and concludes that the Rams could return to Southern California as soon as 2015.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, St. Louis Rams, Top Stories
24 Responses to “St. Louis waits for Kroenke to state desire to keep Rams in town”
  1. marktg30 says: Apr 14, 2010 10:56 PM

The football gods are smiling on LA… I hope the Rams are pulled out of that dump, STL.

2. Brewster says: Apr 14, 2010 10:59 PM

That doesn’t work. He can’t buy the Rams and move them to LA and still be a majority owner.
    Kroenke can only own a NFL team in Denver without selling the Avalanche & Nuggets, without some trickery. And selling the Avs & Nuggets and simultaneously acquiring the Rams, unless he already has some back pocket deal done, is highly improbable.
    Keep an eye on Bowlen & the Broncos in this deal.

3. CheersAdam says: Apr 14, 2010 11:06 PM

It’s never fun for the fan base when their team relocates. Root against the team, but don’t root for them to relocate because if you do you are rooting against their fans. Rooting against another teams fans is, i.m.o., trolling at best.

4. Tim says: Apr 14, 2010 11:06 PM

@marktg30: You can talk bad about St. Louis all you want, but don’t act like LA isn’t the largest dump in the country.

5. BigBear123 says: Apr 14, 2010 11:10 PM

Spags will have the Rams turned around just in time for the move.

6. cballlv11 says: Apr 14, 2010 11:14 PM

The Rams NEED to stay in St. Lou… They are the only thing keeping my Chiefs from being the worst team in the state!!!!!

7. Sourdough says: Apr 14, 2010 11:15 PM

@Brewster: Word is Kroenke is going to ‘transfer’ ownership of the Nugs/Avs to his kids.

8. sniperhare says: Apr 14, 2010 11:18 PM

I think Detroit is the biggest dump, but LA and NY share the biggest cultural dumps.

9. trademcscab says: Apr 14, 2010 11:24 PM

why should la get another chance at a team when they had 2 and still couldnt figure it out

10. C.J. says: Apr 14, 2010 11:29 PM

All they need to do is break ground in Walnut/Diamond Bar once a team says it’s coming. and Kroenke doesn’t talk to the media. Not even in Denver. Thus his nickname out here: “Silent Stanley.”

11. hfthomp says: Apr 14, 2010 11:47 PM

As a St. Louis resident I was much more comfortable when Khan was going to buy the team. I’m pretty sure that Kroenke is going to move the team, but not to LA. My money would be on him moving it to London actually. The NFL obviously wants to expand there and Kroenke has the connections over there.

12. HellsGrimTyrant says: Apr 14, 2010 11:49 PM

Whatever, just don’t leave the fans in either city twisting in the winds please.

13. KeepDaNFLnSTL says: Apr 15, 2010 12:26 AM

Brewster says:
    ****************
    Sorry to burst your bubble punkie brewster, but I guess you didn’t hear that Stanley is transferring his ownership of the Avs and the Nuggets to his bratty-a$$ offspring… This is a pretty serious situation if Shaka-Khan from Champaign-Urbo can’t close escrow and buy this freakin’ train wreck of a team right now, cuz Robert Irsay Kroenke is packing up the Mayflower trucks and will be heading west when the lease runs out.

14. LighTsouT says: Apr 15, 2010 1:08 AM

@bigbear123: agreed. Spags is the right man for the job.

15. Tim says: Apr 15, 2010 5:14 AM

@bigbear123
    I hope your joking, Spags is a great defensive coordinator, the type that will coach in this league for 30 years, but as the defensive coordinator. Nothing he did last year as a head coach led me to think he might be successful. And I am a Giants fan. I love Spags and would love to see him don Giant blue again but I just dont see him having what it takes to lead a team…

16. smithopher says: Apr 15, 2010 6:58 AM

It would be a smart move for the franchise, LA is one of the biggest markets in the country and there is not currently an NFL franchise there. I think there are only a few cities, like New York, Boston, and Chicago, that can match the revenue stream that LA would bring in for its sports teams. The money doesn’t necessarily flock to middle america.

17. Mean D says: Apr 15, 2010 7:54 AM

When LA had a team one of their major problems was the bulk of the fans showing up near halftime.

18. GoBrowns19 says: Apr 15, 2010 8:34 AM

This reminds me of something…I can’t put my finger on it….
    I was at the last game in old Cleveland Stadium and it was the most surreal experience of my life bar none. It’s impossible to describe unless you were there. Belicheck even said he was shaken and that dude’s a wooden post.
    That being said, I just don’t see alot of public outcry coming out of St. Louis the same way….they’ve been through this before and play in a dingy dome for crying out loud.

19. Ammo says: Apr 15, 2010 9:13 AM

As a Browns fan, I would hate to see another city lose their team. I was 8 when the Browns left…all I can say is thank God I wasn’t 18 because it would have been that much more brutal to me.
    That said, Cleveland eats, sleeps, and breathes Browns, even with LeBron James right down the road. (that’s not saying we don’t appreciate LeBron, we LOVE LeBron, but Cleveland is forever Browns town)
    St. Louis is a baseball town and there is no question about that. But who am I to judge another team’s fanbase?

20. SATAN567 says: Apr 15, 2010 9:41 AM

DO IT, STAN!!!

21. Cereal Blogger says: Apr 15, 2010 10:19 AM

I was 3 when the Colts left Baltimore. I didnt care at the time but remember my peeps being bummed out. I would be devastated if my Ravens left….I feel bad for the people of St Lou but think it may be best for the league to have a team in LALA land. How about this…
    Jags to St Lou
    Rams back to LA ???
    Tagliabue scrwed up when he put a team in JAX. Nobody really cares there. Oh & I never felt bad for the Browns d bag fans when they left…they did it to themselves. Modell rules !!!

22. Dawg4Life says: Apr 15, 2010 12:58 PM

Cereal Blogger says:
    April 15, 2010 10:19 AM
    Know the facts before making an ignorant statement like that…….
    maybe your problem is that you were only 3 when the Colts left, but I would think if anyone understood what we went through it would be someone from Baltimore……by the way, if Modell was right in what he did why has he never shown is sorry @s$ in northeast Ohio since?

23. GOVIKES|GOVIKES says: Apr 15, 2010 4:21 PM

…but…but…but..I thought it was the Vikings that were supposed to go to LA like every Vikings hater chimes in during a Vikings story.
    And lol to whoever called him Shaka-Khan,
    P.S. GO VIKES!!

24. RAMS says: Apr 15, 2010 10:02 PM

Just put the beautiful Rams back in LA were they belong. Talk about far weather fans, when the Rams were winning you couldnt get a ticket in St.Louis if you go now the stadium sounds like a long dark cave ECHO ECHO ECHO!