Steelers sign a trio of restricted free agents

The Steelers surely are happy to issue a press release that doesn’t mention the name of a certain quarterback who currently is as embattled as any player who wasn’t arrested or charged ever has been or will be.

The team has announced that tight end Matt Spaeth, cornerback William Gay, and tackle Willie Colon have signed their restricted free agency tenders.

Spaeth was tendered at the level of his original draft round, the third.  He played in all 16 games last season with seven starts.

Gay also received an original-round tender.  Though he started 14 games last season, no one was willing to sign him to an offer sheet, even though he could have been had for a fifth-round draft pick.

Finally, right Willie Colon (who was present the night the dude with the devil T-shirt went down to Georgia) inked his first-rounder tender.  He has started 50 straight games for the team.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
25 Responses to “Steelers sign a trio of restricted free agents”
  1. CD_Ridge says: Apr 16, 2010 12:56 PM

Nice Charlie Daniels Band reference.

2. Ravenmaniac says: Apr 16, 2010 1:01 PM

Willie should not associate with the likes of ben!!!

3. Rnay says: Apr 16, 2010 1:07 PM

Nice use of the Charlie Daniels song, Florio, even though you obviously meant “WENT” down to Georgia, not “when”.
    I guess we should all just be grateful you didn’t tie the last names of the players (Gay, Colon) together in some obvious way that might earn you another punch-in-the-face threat.

4. robert ethan says: Apr 16, 2010 1:12 PM

With all the lies coming out in the GBI investigative report, I have no problem believing Colon’s Sgt. Shultz routine.
    “I see nUUUthing, I know nUUUthing..”. The guy has never been in the right position to keep Roethlisberger from harm in his entire career.
    Fat Willing Colon as the defensive ends who sodomize him on a weekly basis affectionately call him.

5. AllThat says: Apr 16, 2010 1:13 PM

did they sign a couple of extra restricted 20 year olds chickies for Benny?

6. yazman of steel says: Apr 16, 2010 1:14 PM

Can’t leave it alone for one second

7. mixman34 says: Apr 16, 2010 1:22 PM

I bet Gay hopes he doesn’t have to see AP again… HAHA that was ridiculous.

8. Chiefs2010 says: Apr 16, 2010 1:33 PM

Art Rooney’s in a bind..
    cause’ he’s way behind…
    willing to make a deal..
    /boring Friday at work.

9. ECS - Brougham Boys 74 says: Apr 16, 2010 1:46 PM

Unfortunately, they will all be cut before the season starts because none of them are RAPISTS. The Steelers are only loyal to players who are RAPISTS.

10. schpetz says: Apr 16, 2010 1:47 PM

Good…now trade Ben to Arizona for Rogers-Cromartie and draft pick.

11. PFT_thug says: Apr 16, 2010 1:56 PM

What is PFT* all about?
    Well, we have a lawyer (1) pretending to be a journalist (2) who prides himself on thoughtful, factual reporting (3) on a website devoted to sports topics (4) that caters to sports fans (5) in a supposedly fan friendly forum (6) where intelligent discussion is encouraged (7).
    Welcome to PFT, the new TMZ.
    (1) who doesn’t practice law for reasons still unknown. However, reading a few of his “articles” may help to clear this up.
    (Who did he screw/cheat/rape/kill?)
    (2) a job at which he totally sucks. A more fitting occupation would be as a game show host, in Iran.
    (3) “Just because Jerry Jones didn’t mention having a sex change in order to marry Brett Favre, it doesn’t mean it won’t happen!”
    Remember, innuendo sells, and generates more page hits. Flame-bait & Race-bait highly preferred.
    (4) where topics that have anything whatsoever to do with actual sports are becoming almost non-existent. Tabloid quality articles rule; “Tom Brady is really a CIA droid!” “Footballs are modeled after dinousaur turds!”
    (5) most of whom can’t recite the differences between a period, a quarter and an inning. Anyone surprised?
    (6) showing support for ANY team, will automatically make you the sworn blood enemy of every other fan base represented here. They will want you and every member of your family dead, right now, and nothing less. Class acts all.
    (7) laughable – most morons here couldn’t complete a cohernet sentence without the aid of their caseworkers. PFT would prefer you were
    a) pre-pubescent, b) a criminal, c) a nutcase or d) the village idiot (combinations of these are what’s really encouraged).
    You automatically qualify if you’ve ever said “My computer’s got it all. Mice, keys, a screen, and if I push this button a cup holder comes out.”
    *PFT = Penny-ante Florio Tabloid.
    Only in America.

12. dietrich43 says: Apr 16, 2010 1:59 PM

Good news – you signed three of your key RFA’s.
    Bad news – they helped you miss out on the playoffs last year.

13. HandsofSweed says: Apr 16, 2010 2:01 PM

I bet Gay DOES hope to see AP this season, if only that they would meet in the Super Bowl. (But, that was kinda funny. Not so much had the Steelers lost to the Vikes, I admit).

14. grimsleeper78 says: Apr 16, 2010 2:05 PM

Rnay says:
    April 16, 2010 1:07 PM
    ——————————————–
    Dude, you might be dyslexic. Florio got it right man, you misread. My only issue is, why arent we referring to Ben as Rapistburlar more often in these reports??

15. SixburghSteelers says: Apr 16, 2010 2:07 PM

Two things:
    Move Colon back to guard, and there was a reason no one wanted to sign a Gay CB….he SUCKS!!!!!

16. kpweaver27 says: Apr 16, 2010 2:09 PM

PFT-thug just spent half an hour complaining to Florio that his posts are stupid and waste time by posting a long stupid post that wasted his time. Irony is delicious. Yeah, sometimes Florio’s posts are inane but, when I come across one, I go to the next one. It’s all about volume. He still has a way higher success rate than SNL skits.

17. Chiefs2010 says: Apr 16, 2010 2:10 PM

PFT_Thug –
    Rough day, bro?

18. WhoDeyFans says: Apr 16, 2010 2:17 PM

@PFT_thug
    That was hilarious, I love how you devoted so much time into ripping a site and the visitors it brings. The best part, which is probably lost on you, is you wrote it on the site you hate. Clearly you respect the audience to waste so much time. You must read most of the articles and comments to have built up such opinions.
    The medal for the most idiotic post goes to you sir.
    There is another button on your machine that can help you get over your fear of this site. it is a little “X” in the top right hand side of the screen. Go ahead, click it and get back to your miserable life.

19. Hosstyle In Tampa says: Apr 16, 2010 2:34 PM

@PFT Thug
    You’re an OxyMoron…

20. ItalianArmyGuy says: Apr 16, 2010 2:57 PM

Glad to see that the Steelers are bringing back the whole crappy group from last year – minus the one guy who could get open downfield (Holmes).
    It will be so thrilling to root for my team as they go 8-8 or 6-10, with an O-line that still can’t block, a bunch of D-backs who still can’t cover or make interceptions, and a tight end (Spaeth) who can’t block or run. Ben – I guess you can take off the whole year – it’s not as if you are going to the playoffs anyway.

21. SamWycheForPrez says: Apr 16, 2010 3:30 PM

Nice to see the Steelers getting comfortable and cozy in 3rd place in the AFC North. At least you have the mess that is Cleveland to keep you from sinking all the way to the bottom.

22. Cornerdenizen says: Apr 16, 2010 3:43 PM

@ Deb:
    Not only do you make the consistent attempt at intelligent discourse, there are times when you actually get others to participate. I am amazed by this feat. Your patience is far greater than mine.
    I must say that your posts -and the subsequent reaction to your posts are my only reason for visiting this place. I even saw where someone used a derivative of your name in order to discredit you. Hell, thats freakin folk hero status!
    Lately, I’ve found that this is a good place to visit for “anthropological” purposes only. Im assuming that theres a part of you –apart from your passion for the game–that’s motivated by a similar purpose.
    As such I was hoping to speak to you about your take on all of this. Should you be so inclined, I can be reached at this email address. Its the name of Daedalus’ son and the following suffix:
    __flies@yahoo.com

23. GoBrowns19 says: Apr 16, 2010 4:19 PM

You sure it wasn’t OJ Simpson, Rae Carruth, and Charles manson?

24. tryagain says: Apr 16, 2010 6:47 PM

PFT_thug says: (7) laughable – most morons here couldn’t complete a cohernet sentence without the aid of their caseworkers.
    speaking of laughable, is ‘cohernet’ one of them there new funky type o words that us challenged folks ain’t heard of- or one of the combo words like brangelina- as in being COHERent on the interNET? if the latter, i made up one of those myself awhile back, complinsult, which means confusement at a comment made, was it a genuine compliment or an sly insult? in a way, similar to the backhanded compliment yet different because the receiver was unsure of the motivation of the speaker. you can use it if you want.

25. Deb says: Apr 16, 2010 7:02 PM

@Cornerdenizen …
    Hi there! Thanks for the positive feedback. Yes, I have many motives for frequenting PFT ;-)
    Unfortunately, I sometimes get carried away with this little hobby–which can put me behind on my work. But since the hobby has a practical side, I need to find a balance.
    Can’t promise I’ll get in touch. But if I ever do, I’ll reference our original conversation so you’ll know it’s me.
    One question about your address: Is there a space or a _ between the son’s name and flies or is it all one word?