Golden Tate says playing in Pittsburgh would be an "ideal situation"

When former Notre Dame receiver Golden Tate met with the Steelers, he didn’t really think he was on their radar screen.  Once Santonio Holmes was traded, Tate suddenly picked up a different vibe.

“[N]ow that Holmes is gone, I’m seeing it’s a
possibility
,” Tate told Troy Clardy of 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh on Sunday.  “I’m anxious to see which direction they take. . . .  It would be an
ideal situation.  I’ll be going into a great situation because I would be
learning from a guy that I like to model my game after, Hines Ward.  I don’t
think it could get any better than that.  I’m going to have the chance to help
the team but also learn the game more from a veteran.  In my eyes, this would be
an ideal situation, and I could definitely see myself going there and wearing
black and gold.”

But can he stay out of trouble, a subject about which Steeler Nation suddenly is acutely concerned?

“Being at Notre Dame, you’re used to being under the microscope, so I’m used to
having all eyes on me,” Tate said.  “Anything I do, anywhere I go.  My mother and my father
taught me what’s right and what’s wrong, so I don’t think I have a problem
making any tough decisions.”

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
39 Responses to “Golden Tate says playing in Pittsburgh would be an "ideal situation"”
  1. ar1888 says: Apr 18, 2010 7:30 PM

He will say that about any team as long as he would go in the first round.

2. Paycents says: Apr 18, 2010 7:33 PM

go listen to anti america greenday with your son weasel

3. Whatsthepoint? says: Apr 18, 2010 7:34 PM

No one cares where you go till the second round its all about Dez Bryant. I have a question say the dolphins trade down to number 20 something to grab MT. Cody what else would they give and get? Who would they trade the pick to

4. Whatsthepoint? says: Apr 18, 2010 7:36 PM

5. geo1113 says: Apr 18, 2010 7:36 PM

“that last line could make things a little awkward in the locker room”
    Not Tate’s problem. Poor little Ben, might actually have to look in the mirror.

6. comment_submission_error says: Apr 18, 2010 7:38 PM

Tate better learn to turn his head like Linda Blair if he’s going to emulate Hines Ward.

7. stnmmc says: Apr 18, 2010 7:38 PM

—————————————————
    Um, you are an asshole Florio. While Ben has done everything he can to provide us all with evidence of his personal goal of beating Wilt Chamberlain by any means necessary, he lost his mother at a young age (12 i think). He did not have that female influence going through puberty and adolescence due to cancer. This does not excuse his behavior, but may provide some insight as to why he treats women with such disrespect (that and the over inflated ego that comes with being a high profile athlete/celebrity)
    I do think Tate could fit in well with the Steelers, because Randle El and Arnaz Battle just aren’t going to cut it.

8. robert ethan says: Apr 18, 2010 7:38 PM

I heard he was taken off Pittsburgh’s list completely.
    His parents won’t allow it.

9. Chiefs2010 says: Apr 18, 2010 7:39 PM

Well Golden Tate’s apparently never been to the city of Pittsburgh. What’s next on his list Baltimore, Cleveland?
    I’d rather go to Miami, Dallas, New York, San Diego..
    I had a job interview in Pittsburgh, it’s like my home rural town but with bigger buildings..
    Nothing to see here, folks.

10. shoe says: Apr 18, 2010 7:40 PM

They should draft Tebow too.

11. The Real Shuxion says: Apr 18, 2010 7:40 PM

Kind of hard to be drafted there by saying: “That town sucks ass.”
    I am 100% sure that any team would be an ideal fit. That being said, it wouldn’t be a bad draft pick (Though they may want Kyle Wilson (Boise State CB) more)

12. Igottz5onit says: Apr 18, 2010 7:47 PM

What the hell are you talking about Paycents?

13. blackglass says: Apr 18, 2010 7:50 PM

“Ideal situation”? Why, is here a wife beater or a sexual predator?

14. this class sucks says: Apr 18, 2010 7:52 PM

I like anyone saying anything positive about anything is implying something negative about someone else now days. “[I] was taught whats right and wrong” = “Big Ben is a rapist.”

15. finney2112 says: Apr 18, 2010 8:01 PM

Uh huh, I’m sure you meant every word of that…http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/2168510,CST-SPT-bear17.article

16. Kevin West says: Apr 18, 2010 8:04 PM

“I would do a lot to play for the Bears,” he (Tate) said excitedly. ”They’re a great organization, and for a Notre Dame guy, that would be huge. A lot of people [at the school] are from Chicago, and it would be great for fans and for myself.”
    …and the Bears don’t even have a 1st Round pick. For a Sociology major, he knows a lot about marketing.

17. sharkattack says: Apr 18, 2010 8:08 PM

I guess nobody has told Mr. Tate he will be catching balls from Charlie Batch and Dennis Dixon.

18. Gautam says: Apr 18, 2010 8:08 PM

“Um, that last line could make things a little awkward in the locker room, since it implies that certain parents of certain players who wear a certain single-digit number certainly failed when it came to teaching the right-wrong lesson.”
    sometimes I really hope that the earth opens up and swallows you

19. geo1113 says: Apr 18, 2010 8:10 PM

ar1888, I guess you missed the part about Tate not thinking he was on the Steelers radar screen. Wonder how Ben answered his character questions during his interview with the Steelers.

20. winslow says: Apr 18, 2010 8:15 PM

Golden Tate is more like Dexter Jackson than he is like DeSean Jackson. Pittsburgh should be able to get either Pouncey or Iupati at 18. The Steelers need to fix the interior of their offensive line.
    Nice shot at Ma and Pa Roethlisberger, though. I remember Chris Long saying he behaves himself so that father Howie doesn’t kick his ass. I seem to remember Larry Csonka saying the same thing about his father – that even as an adult playing in the NFL, Larry was not willing to do anything that would embarrass and therefore provoke his dad.
    Big Ben apparently has no such paternal deterrent.

21. Greenantz says: Apr 18, 2010 8:19 PM

He is first round talent. However there are to many line men that are also first round talent.

22. Raider Pride says: Apr 18, 2010 8:23 PM

Good Luck Golden Tate.
    Put some hand sanitizer in your waist pouch.
    You might want to use it after you catch a ball thrown to you from a QB who spends his off time in filthy, disgusting, 5 foot by 5 foot public restrooms.

23. Howboutdemcowboys says: Apr 18, 2010 8:33 PM

What does Golden Tate have to do with staying out of trouble? Just because they drafted a serial rapist doesn’t mean they are worried about every player in the draft being a trouble maker.
    This was a reach, even for you

24. lamajet says: Apr 18, 2010 8:36 PM

Yeah, this part is regrettable:
    Dude makes a comment in honor of his parents, and it has to be nit-picked and taken as dissing someone else?
    If learned blogger you wish to be, learn restraint. you will.

25. Florios'Lawyer says: Apr 18, 2010 8:45 PM

You were disbarred weren’t you?

26. gregoriorossini says: Apr 18, 2010 9:00 PM

Hey at least Golden Tate is bald like Hines Ward…

27. jackybadass says: Apr 18, 2010 9:11 PM

hey whats wrong with pittsburgh? you could be in oakland!

28. bengals4real says: Apr 18, 2010 9:20 PM

When was golden tate ever in trouble ?
    Please explain yourself,I am not aware of any trouble hes been in.
    To ask if he can stay out of trouble when hes never been in any is assanine.

29. jm0205 says: Apr 18, 2010 9:28 PM

Hope they get him in the 2nd round

30. funi says: Apr 18, 2010 9:32 PM

Chiefs2010 says:
    I’d rather go to Miami, Dallas, New York, San Diego..
    I got to those places also..ON VACATION! Miami no Super Bowl since the 70′s, Dallas 1 playoff win in 13 years, Jets have too many ego’s and G’man run the ball and S.D. never won a S.B.!!! You like some loser teams chiefs2010..oh wiat YOU ARE A CHIEFS FAN SO YOU KNOW ABOUT LOSING!!!!!

31. Shawn says: Apr 18, 2010 10:08 PM

I would like the Steelers to draft a CB in the first round and they should. I explained in a seperate post that the Steelers need major help at CB more than any other position because of teams in the division either getting better at the WR or QB position. Need to beef up the defense to the way it was when they won SB 43 or better if even possible.

32. Klytus says: Apr 18, 2010 10:10 PM

Mr. Florio, you just couldn’t help yourself. You had to give Ben and his family one more shot. Yes, I believe Ben has been scared by the loss of his mom. Most problems can be traced back to family.
    Ben needs to settle down and create a family. He might look for a woman at his age or a little older. Someone who has been around the park so to speak. Meeting her sober would be a big plus. He isn’t going to find happiness living in the past with a bunch of emotionally immature college girls.
    A good woman could solve the problems that Ben doesn’t even know he has. His secrets will be safe with her.
    GO STEELERS!

33. robert ethan says: Apr 18, 2010 10:38 PM

Pittsburgh the “ideal situation’? Who does he think he is, Dez Bryant?

34. WarriorMonk says: Apr 18, 2010 11:00 PM

Seriously Florio?
    You ought to join Cirque du Soleil because you can stretch & contort with the best of them.

35. Cylon_Detector says: Apr 19, 2010 12:22 AM

I wonder if Goodell shouldn’t just take Pittsburgh’s 1st round pick this year.
    Its certainly no place for a top level talent to play, being exposed to serial rapists, wife-beaters and guys who think its a good idea to lay the beat down on a paper towel dispenser.

36. tatum32 says: Apr 19, 2010 12:42 AM

Probably fits in…Tate is as feisty as Hines Ward.

37. Brown Julius says: Apr 19, 2010 5:51 AM

Golden Tate would be a good fit as Pittsburgh seems to like undertalented but very hard working receivers. And he seems to not be a threat to Hines Ward which is what will get you shipped out of Pittsburgh. Hines Ward must be the best receiver on the team and must get the most attention.
    Santonio Holmes didn’t learn this and had the gall to win a Superbowl MVP. Now he’s out of town despite his talent.
    Yes, he has a drug suspension too but Ward politics hard inside a locker room to make sure the other guy is “poison” or a diva or just not a “steelers kind of guy”. The Steelers offense has regressed in the off season and their O-line has still not recovered from Faneca leaving because the ownership wouldn’t pay him. Now they are also thin at the running game. Frankly, they are lucky to have a rugged experienced QB like Roethlisberger; it could easily be Trent Edwards, Tavares Jackson or Jamarcus Russell and there really is no qualified backup to him. How good is Batch this point? How has he aged on the bench.
    At the same time, the defense looks very average whenever Troy Palomalu doesn’t play.
    This team won’t win their division and may well not make the playoffs.

38. steeelfann says: Apr 19, 2010 8:54 AM

The Steelers – The Real America’s Team.
    Of course, Tate wants to play for the greatest team and the best-blocking wideout ever to play the game.
    Well done Tate. You are not alone.

39. PGH_Fan says: Apr 19, 2010 12:26 PM

FYI – Golden Tate played at Heinz Field against Pitt last year and in 2007. He has been in Pittsburgh.