Rolando McClain now says he doesn't have Crohn's disease

Following Alabama’s Pro Day, linebacker Rolando McClain revealed that he has Crohn’s Disease. But now he says he doesn’t.

“In all my talks with my doctors in the past two weeks, with all the tests we’ve done, they don’t even feel I have Crohn’s disease,” McClain told the Birmingham News.

McClain says he’s not sure why he was diagnosed with the disease in ninth grade, but that he’s gone through thorough medical testing in recent weeks and been told he doesn’t have the illness.

“I have no idea,” he said. “All I can say is, the doctor who diagnosed this, it’s his job to diagnose it. All I can do is go by his rules. I don’t have any signs of it right now.”

Crohn’s disease is a disorder that causes inflammation of the digestive tract, with symptoms including pain and diarrhea. Whether McClain has it or not, it didn’t appear to bother him during his All-American 2009 season at Alabama. McClain is expected to be selected in the top half of the first round on Thursday.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
24 Responses to “Rolando McClain now says he doesn't have Crohn's disease”
  1. Reptar says: Apr 18, 2010 2:50 PM

It’s widely-misdiagnosed. He wouldn’t be the first to spend years believing he has it, only to find out he doesn’t.

2. CUJO says: Apr 18, 2010 2:52 PM

“…including pain and diarrhea.”
    Sounds like all someone had was IBS.

3. GoBrowns19 says: Apr 18, 2010 2:54 PM

Translation: He has Crohn’s disease.

4. lotusfather says: Apr 18, 2010 3:03 PM

CUJO says:
    “That’s still grounds for dropping a few spots in my opinion. You can’t have your middle linebacker shitting his pants on 4th and inches.”
    I lol’d

5. gregoriorossini says: Apr 18, 2010 3:06 PM

“I don’t have any signs of it right now.” = “I don’t have diarrhea right now”

6. robert ethan says: Apr 18, 2010 3:21 PM

Turned out to be just a mild case of spinal stenosis. Which has Rob Gronkowski doubled over crapping himself.
    Besides, isn’t it just bent over old people with warts on the end of their noses that have Crohn’s disease?

7. SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says: Apr 18, 2010 3:22 PM

I aint no doctuh butt may bee he doant eet guud.

8. GoBrowns19 says: Apr 18, 2010 3:38 PM

lotusfather says:
    April 18, 2010 3:03 PM
    CUJO says:
    I lol’d
    —————————————–
    I did too. Good one Cujo

9. thegenerel says: Apr 18, 2010 3:58 PM

—————————————————
    no, f-tard

10. Xenu_D_Alien says: Apr 18, 2010 4:01 PM

Sounds like he just had a severe case of mud butt, maybe he’d better cut back on his intake of ribs.

11. Bob Sacamano says: Apr 18, 2010 4:09 PM

Didn’t SOMETHING flare up during his pro day, causing him to get fatigued to the point that he had to take a knee? It was after that when he talked about his condition with Crohn’s.
    So if he doesn’t have Crohn’s, WTF was bothering him during his pro day?

12. BroncFanOr says: Apr 18, 2010 4:14 PM

Good news for the Broncos.

13. VoxVagina says: Apr 18, 2010 4:18 PM

This is weird. I heard a report that the Eagles are more intrested in trading up for McClain than Berry or Thomas, which wouild be just plain stupid considering safety is a bigger hole

14. DB26 says: Apr 18, 2010 4:20 PM

As one poster stated, Severe IBS and Crohns have very similar symptoms. Not to be ruled out, he could also have an ulcer which can cause stomach pains (severe) and some bowel issues.
    Lets just hope, for the sake of whomever drafts him, that he doesn’t get Bobby Hurley disease!!! :o

15. jliskiew says: Apr 18, 2010 4:30 PM

Tebow must have “layed hands” on him at the combine

16. CYGNUS X-1 says: Apr 18, 2010 4:34 PM

I don’t get it all the tebow hate,I realy don’t don’t get it from florio though.here is a guy who is always writing about all bad things athletes do and the trouble they get in and along comes a guy who does nothing but try and do the right things and gets killed for it.florio likes to say it’s nothing personal or anti-relgion but then rips on any and everything he does.same with the othe other hacks who write for this site,let’s see we don’t have any dirt on him so lt’s rip him for making money on his name cause we all know he is not supposed to earn a living or raise money for his causes from anything other than football.I don’t even go to church but I want the guy to make it just so assholes like florio and the people who write all the hateful things about him have to admit they were wrong . I have never heard him say he was better than anyone else,he chooses to live his life a certain way and stands up for it,good for him! and the fact this upsets you tree hugging left wing liberals makes me root for him all the more.

17. bronco_TD says: Apr 18, 2010 4:51 PM

Cue Eddie Murphy from Trading Places:
    “I can see! I can see! I got legs! Hallelujah! It’s a miracle! Praise the Lord!”

18. bronco_TD says: Apr 18, 2010 5:00 PM

Actually, I’m not real sure how good of an idea it is to mention this just before the draft. Everybody was saying that Crohn’s Disease would not inhibit him from playing football, but now teams may wonder what he might have if it’s not Crohn’s and whether it will have an impact. I still see either McClain or—especially if the Broncos can trade down—Pouncey as the Broncos’ first pick.

19. robert ethan says: Apr 18, 2010 5:13 PM

@thegenerel…..
    Ya sorry, generel, must have been Old Crone’s disease I was thinking of. Sir!

20. MasterShake says: Apr 18, 2010 5:47 PM

I crapped myself reading this. Really? It has come to this? How many days until we get to talk about real football?

21. gregoriorossini says: Apr 18, 2010 6:10 PM

If he eats the same food as Terrence Cody and Andre Smith… No wonder he had diarrhea all the time…

22. dboom92 says: Apr 18, 2010 6:52 PM

CYGNUS X-1…. Try to keep your rage on topic.

23. RaiderhateR4Life says: Apr 18, 2010 7:36 PM

CUJO– That was hilarious

24. SleazyWhipcashPersonalInjuryAttorney says: Apr 18, 2010 11:57 PM

I think we should all know by now that it’s damn easy to find a doctor who will provide the opinion that you pay him for.
    Just like the whiplash doctor your attorney sends you to; you can be damn sure that he’ll attribute whatever he can to the injury claim, and provide an opinion that you are gravely and permanently injured, for this suits the personal injury attorney, plaintiff and doctor’s mutual interesting in squeezing as much money as possible out of the recovery opportunity.
    NFL team doctors provide opinions that are 100% on the opposite end of the scale. All injuries are dressed down, and cast in a minimalist light. Players need a minimum of treatment before they are released back to the field, and there is no talk, whatsoever about the permanency of their injuries. They are paid to provide a service to the team, and their opinions conform to their employer’s need, accordingly.
    Then you have the doctors who prescribe Adderall and other amphetimenes to athletes, for “ADD”, testosterone/HGH for “low testosterone count” and other dubious uses of medicine, again, conforming their opinion and diagnoses to their employer’s needs.
    So in this case, it would appear that McClain’s camp found a doctor who is willing to provide an opinion that he does NOT have Crohn’s disease, despite the prior admission of same. This really doesn’t mean squat. It really should be no trouble at all for an Agent, with their financial resources, to find a doctor willing to work for them like this.
    We are raised believing that doctor’s are trustworthy and have taken up their noble profession for the sole purpose of healing people. In reality, those doctors are outnumbered by doctors who are in it for financial gain, more than healing, and who put their own financial self-interests over that of their patients. I’d recommend that you keep this in mind, next time a doctor gives you an opinion. They may simply be acting to pad their wallet, than to heal you. Doctors cannot be trusted.