The "underage drinking" component of the Roethlisberger case

Lurking on our list of story ideas but never quite making it onto the Rumor Mill over the past several days has been the question of whether Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger could have been charged with providing alcohol to a minor under 21 on the evening that culminated in an accusation of sexual assault.  Pushing the issue to the top of the stack were the recent comments of Michael Santicola, attorney for Big Ben bodyguard Anthony Barravecchio.

Santicola, who has shown a propensity to exercise his vocal cords in an ill-advised manner, had this to say regarding whether any laws were broken that night:  “The only crime that I’ve seen committed right now is the crime of this
girl.  She’s underage, she’s bombed out of her mind and she’s in a bar
she shouldn’t be in.”

Nice.

District attorney Fred Bright addressed during his April 12 press conference/sermon the issue of underage drinking.  And Bright was blunt — but for the alleged victim’s desire to move on, Roethlisberger could have been prosecuted for providing alcohol to an underage minor.

“First of all, he, Mr. Roethlisberger, there’s a crime called
furnishing alcohol to a minor under 21, OK?” Bright said.  “And she, the victim, there’s
another crime called underage drinking.  Both of these crimes are
misdemeanors.  Now, if we’re going to prosecute one, we’ve got to
prosecute the other.
Let’s talk about him furnishing alcohol to a minor under 21.  The only
way we can prosecute him is through her testimony.  As for her, she’s
gone through enough already.”

So, yes, Roethlisberger could have been charged for providing alcohol to an underage minor.  And the alleged victim could have been charged for underaged drinking.  Thus, the next time Santicola decides to pop off on the matter, he should be sure to also include the potential responsibility of his client’s boss.

Better yet, maybe Santicola should just quit popping off.  He’s doing nothing to make himself, his client, or Roethlisberger come off as even remotely sympathetic.

UPDATE:  Several of you have raised in the comments that Roethlisberger would have had no way of knowing that the alleged victim was under 21.  As explained by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on March 7, persons under the age of 21 are permitted to enter the bars but not drink.  Those over the age of 21 wear a wristband.  The nightclub at which the alleged incident occurred is believed to be “one of the stricter enforcers” of that policy.  So if the alleged victim had testified that she wasn’t wearing a wristband, that Roethlisberger gave her alcohol, and that she was close enough to Roethlisberger for him to see that she had no wristband, a conviction could have been obtained — unless he were willing to take the stand in his own defense and testify that he didn’t see that she didn’t have a wristband.

Permalink 120 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Legal, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
120 Responses to “The "underage drinking" component of the Roethlisberger case”
  1. SeeUInTheSuperbowl says: Apr 18, 2010 6:27 PM

How can anybody ever cheer for this guy ever again. He makes me sick.

2. Sporkdevil says: Apr 18, 2010 6:32 PM

Gotta agree, Florio. He’s trying to get publicity for himself, and is really just making Ben look even more guilty than he looked before. Someone should be yanking his license to practice and/or beating him with a whiffle bat.

3. Draft King says: Apr 18, 2010 6:33 PM

“Underage minor” isn’t quite correct for this, is it? You’re no longer a minor at 18. I get it that the girl was underage as far as the arbitrary 21 drinking age Congress strong-armed the states into putting into effect 25+ years ago, but at 20 you are an adult.

4. last starfighter says: Apr 18, 2010 6:34 PM

I think rape is a bigger deal than furnishing alcohol to a minor.

5. embarrassedsteelerfan says: Apr 18, 2010 6:34 PM

He won 2 Super Bowls that makes him innocent.
    Or at least that’s what all my fellow Steelers fans keep telling me.

6. Benny Mendenberger-Ward says: Apr 18, 2010 6:34 PM

Go enjoy your Sunday Florio, this stuff you are putting out today is bushleague son. I dont care who double parks at the Redskins facility. No shit, Shanahan is strict. You arent breaking any news.
    “Girl was underage and drinking in a college town before she got bent over a commode!”
    This stuff isn’t news, it happens everyday, you ever visit the Indiana University of Pennsylvania?

7. geo1113 says: Apr 18, 2010 6:35 PM

I’m sure Santicola never had a drink before he was of legal age!!!!

8. Dawn says: Apr 18, 2010 6:35 PM

I doubt Goodell will do anything about furnishing alcohol to a minor under 21.

9. robert ethan says: Apr 18, 2010 6:36 PM

LOL, Santicola accusing Fred Bright of grandstanding for attention.
    Pittsburgh area police have received several complaints lately from tourists attempting to shoot home video of the cities sights.
    Apparently a “stocky, swarthy, Hispanic looking man” in a suit pushes his face in front of their cameras, adjusts his tie, puts on a frozen smile, and says “Let me know when you’re ready”.
    Even an elderly local couple trying to watch seagulls on the river through binoculars had a similar experience recently.

10. Jordiway73 says: Apr 18, 2010 6:36 PM

Maybe the club should’nt let underage girls in the door. How was he suppose to know they were underage?

11. BUNYAN says: Apr 18, 2010 6:36 PM

Roethlisberger could not be prosecuted for buying alcohol for a minor. Anyone that is in that club must be of drinking age. The owner of the club is responsible for making sure that anyone he lets in is of legal age to drink. Another customer, in this case Roethlisberger, is not responsible.

12. I HATE mike florio says: Apr 18, 2010 6:39 PM

LET it GO florio, move on like the young lady is doing. Surly there is something else to reach on and start up rumors. Hey, the Draft is this Thursday.

13. Ceedub says: Apr 18, 2010 6:40 PM

Roethlisberger has been whistling past the graveyard lately. Sounds like the only reason he wasn’t charged with giving alcohol to a minor was that the minor in this case would have been charged with under age drinking. Has anyone been charged with anything?

14. Raider Pride says: Apr 18, 2010 6:41 PM

Sorry Mr. Florio.
    You got this one wrong. Ben did not own this club, nor was it in his home.
    Only the establishment could have been charged, and CONVICTED.
    It would be his presumption that if she was in the club her I.D. was checked by the establishment and she was of legal age.
    You should know that?

15. Catamount says: Apr 18, 2010 6:42 PM

I hate Ben, but in fairness, the bar should be responsible. She should not be there.

16. Uncle Leo says: Apr 18, 2010 6:43 PM

Let’s not rush to judgement.
    Wait until Deb calls her brother and delivers her Sunday sermon to us all.

17. MistrezzRachael says: Apr 18, 2010 6:43 PM

Underage drinking or supplying an underage drinks is MINOR to that loser standing there w/his little manhood exposed….God didn’t the girl have any teeth??..Would have taken care of his signal calling for a while.
    So, in the public eye…who is worse???…Tiger or little ben???…..I say ben

18. 8ball says: Apr 18, 2010 6:43 PM

Does anyone know if “the bodyguards” were armed ?

19. anonymus says: Apr 18, 2010 6:45 PM

Somebody please tell me why the bar itself is not in trouble with the ABC Board for serving alcohol to a minor. A legal-aged “front” buying shots or drinks for underage bar patrons is the oldest trick in the book….especially in a college town bar.

20. realdeal1813 says: Apr 18, 2010 6:45 PM

Ya, but if I’m in a bar and I buy a girl a drink, shouldn’t I assume that she’s 21? It’s not my job as a customer to find out if girls are illegally in a 21 and over establishment. And in no way I am I trying to condone or defend anything Big Creepy Ben did, I’m speaking more in generalities.

21. Bun McSticky says: Apr 18, 2010 6:46 PM

The rapist should be put down.

22. 24dan1 says: Apr 18, 2010 6:46 PM

If she is allowed into the bar then that fall on the bar itself. Ben is a scumbag but is not responsible for checking here ID, the bar is. A cute girl and a fake ID often result in one getting admitted into a bar.

23. cunn9305 says: Apr 18, 2010 6:46 PM

Give it a rest. Listen closely now … the girl was in a drinking establishment for age 21 and over. He was buying drinks for everyone at the bar. It is not his responsibility to verify that everyone ( or anyone ) in the bar is of legal drinking age. That is the responsibility of the establishment in question. If it’s at his house it’s a different story. You’re REALLY reaching on some of this stuff now. Are you SURE you’re really an attorney ???

24. boknowscornell says: Apr 18, 2010 6:47 PM

It is very sad that a person would get away with crimes just because they are famous athletes. Ben should never play another game in the league. He belongs in jail not on the playing field. I feel sorry for the young woman who Ben took advantage of.

25. spyboots says: Apr 18, 2010 6:47 PM

And the bar would also be at fault and receive a fine.

26. Prime Time says: Apr 18, 2010 6:47 PM

I think the NCAA should investigate the University of Miami (Ohio) because there is no way this dumb ass could have passed any classes at this high level university.

27. Florios'Lawyer says: Apr 18, 2010 6:48 PM

SeeUInTheSuperbowl says: April 18, 2010 6:27 PM
    “How can anybody ever cheer for this guy ever again. He makes me sick.”
    As Florio reels in another fish…..
    Attaboy, keep that flame bait coming Mikey.
    The idiots will never catch on.

28. purpleguy says: Apr 18, 2010 6:48 PM

I wonder if Santicola has a daughter, and how he’ll explain his 3 1/2 munutes of fame-grubbing comments to her.

29. vikings rule says: Apr 18, 2010 6:48 PM

isn’t it the bar’s responsible for carding it’s customers of are we all supposed to check every girl ID before we buy the drink? She’s a worthless slut and got what she wanted. He’s a pig & a serial rapist,,Can we move on now???

30. MaxiPad Starks says: Apr 18, 2010 6:50 PM

So he sees a girl drinking in a bar and hes wrong to assume shes 21?
    Lock me up then cause ive done the same shit.
    I dont agree with what he did but underage drinking is the least of it.

31. robert ethan says: Apr 18, 2010 6:51 PM

Too bad there’s no law on the books prohibiting “underage thinking”. Santicola would be too busy in the courtroom defending his clients to find time to pop off to the media.

32. joethaplumber says: Apr 18, 2010 6:51 PM

I have a good friend from school who is from Pitt. He goes to some of the same watering holes as Ben, and told me point blank to my my face that Ben is an obnoxious drinker. When he’s wasted he says anything that comes to his head to women. A lot of the times they are so offended that they don’t even care that he’s a star.
    The Rooney’s are “RAPIST” enablers for keeping Ben and helping him beat rape cases.
    BOYCOTT THE STEELERS AND THE RAPIST PAYING ROONEYS!!!!!!!
    (WITH MULTIPLE WITNESSES!!!!!) To something shady going down with that HALF PASSED OUT 20yr old white girl!!!! Ben “Take the PU$$%” Roethlisberger aka Pepe Le Pew should be in orange jumpsuits right now and you know it. THE TAPE GOT ERASED? AFTER THE POLICE HAD IT AND DIDN’T MAKE A COPY…….. YEH RIGHT!!…….. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    According to one, Nicole Biancofiore, the alleged victim “did not want to report the incident to a random police officer,” the case file shows.
    Ms. Biancofiore called a friend, Baldwin County Sheriff’s Deputy Shawn Tapley, to ask for advice. He told her to report to an officer downtown.
    “Biancofiore also stated that [the woman] did not want to report it because she did not want people to know about the incident and was embarrassed by what had happened.”

33. rustytrombone says: Apr 18, 2010 6:53 PM

Shouldn’t the owner of the bar be the one at fault for providing alcohol?
    I can say I’ve never carded a girl I’ve bought drinks for at a bar…

34. GirthyOne says: Apr 18, 2010 6:54 PM

I guess you forgot about the report that she had a fake ID.
    Seriously, can you write about some other stuff. Let this end. Yes, I know everyone, including me, is posting in these threads but please lets talk some football.
    Every story should have a section on how it affects a player, a team or the league. If not, it shouldn’t make the cut.

35. JJMADDOG says: Apr 18, 2010 6:55 PM

In an obvious PR move, Ben has decided to open a half-way house for girls that don’t want to go “all the way”.

36. joethaplumber says: Apr 18, 2010 6:55 PM

BOYCOTT THE STEELERS AND THE RAPIST PAYING ROONEYS!!!!!!!

37. SDiegoSteel says: Apr 18, 2010 6:56 PM

I didn’t know that Roethlisberger was working the door that night. So you’re telling me that if I’m in a bar, I shouldn’t buy somebody a drink unless I go and check whether that person is 21 or older? What’s the purpose of the guy at the front door checking IDs then?

38. Ken1313 says: Apr 18, 2010 6:57 PM

Bunyan is correct….Ben is a sleaze…but it’s not HIS job to card club patrons. If they are in the club..then it was the responsibility of those at the door, to ID everyone.

39. silverreign says: Apr 18, 2010 6:58 PM

jordi– no excuse. it’s like sleeping with 1 5 year old because you picked her up at a bar. it’s a strict liability crime. you’re guilty because you did it. there is no mens rea in the crime.

40. UckTheFeagles says: Apr 18, 2010 6:58 PM

This guy’s a predator, nothing would surprise me at this point. My bet is either accusations about roofies or another victim comes out of the woodwork by the middle of next week.
    Is the steelers organization really going to turn a blind eye to all this???

41. CT Stiller says: Apr 18, 2010 7:01 PM

“Better yet, maybe Santicola should just quit popping off. He’s doing nothing to make himself, his client, or Roethlisberger come off as even remotely sympathetic.”
    I would give you the same advice, Florio. You’re doing nothing to make your site, yourself, or your employer come off as even remotely objective.

42. abfish15 says: Apr 18, 2010 7:01 PM

Um, false Florio. Unless she showed Roethlisberger her ID when they were in the VIP and told him she was underage, he would (justifiably) assume that she was over 21. Unless there’s no mens rea component to the crime, and it’s a strict liability standard in Georgia, there’s no way that charge would stick. It’s the bar’s job to ensure that everyone there is over 21. Not Ben’s.

43. Tony Snow says: Apr 18, 2010 7:01 PM

You’re not gonna root for the Steelers again! Don’t then, you sound like whiny kids! Who then!?!? The lions? The Chiefs? The Titans? The Redskins w/Snyder? The Cowboys with Jerry Jones? The panthers? No, let me guess… The Rams? LOL! You’ll be back!
    This is football, based on athleticism, Not conduct. The Steelers realize all these players have been caudled since high school and all have issues. The Steelers only add more emphasis to conduct, than most teams…even before this policy began. There’s only two type of players in this league. Caught and Not Caught…. Kinda like spygate. (sorry Pats fans. :(…jus makin a point. If you look up to any of these guys other than for their play on the gridiron… You have issues, anyway. And if indeed he us as bad as you say, …what kind of punishment is Trading him? Bottom line… The law didn’t make the choice of cutting him justified…. And this game is about building a winner With athletes not priests.

44. CT Stiller says: Apr 18, 2010 7:02 PM

embarrassedsteelerfan says:
    “He won 2 Super Bowls that makes him innocent.”
    Are you still trying to make people believe you’re a Steelers fan? You’re horrible at trolling.

45. Fonetik says: Apr 18, 2010 7:03 PM

I’m pretty sure BUNYAN is right on the money. She was supposed to be carded before being allowed into the club. Once she’s let through the door, it’s unrealistic to expect another patron to figure out she’s underage. The club is liable here, not Roethlisberger.

46. imjustsaying says: Apr 18, 2010 7:04 PM

Why is it illegal to drink if you are under 21, but you sure as hell are old enough to go die for your country….something is wrong with this shit..
    Just sayin….

47. CYGNUS X-1 says: Apr 18, 2010 7:08 PM

of all the crap you have written about this case this is the dumbest.let me see if I get this straight you go to a bar to drink which means you should be 21 to get in right?but he and any other guy is suppose to check her id before he buys a girl a drink? yea that happens all the time if anything the club should be prosecuted not him.isn’t that why they check id’s at the door?even if they took her fake id she was still in the bar right?doesn’t mean she should get raped but please it is not his job to check and see if she is legal.

48. imjustsaying says: Apr 18, 2010 7:09 PM

I read in the police report that one of Bens body gaurds paid for the drinks…can’t charge Ben for something he didn’t do….just sayin

49. Free_Ryan_Leaf says: Apr 18, 2010 7:09 PM

UHHH…. This incident happened in a nightclub. Any nightclub I’ve been at has at least a couple bouncers checking I.D. at the door and if not then the responsibility falls on the cocktail waitress or the bartender. Ben is a lot of things in this incident… but culpable for furnishing alcohol to a minor is NOT one of them. Give me a break…now we are really reaching for stories.

50. Karl says: Apr 18, 2010 7:10 PM

It’s not Ben’s responsibility to check whether the girl is 21. It’s up to the bar-the actual furnisher of the alcohol-to determine whether she’s legal to drink.

51. Snibs says: Apr 18, 2010 7:11 PM

Florio again you have proven without a reasonalble doubt that you were absent the day they taught law in law school.

52. Wardo says: Apr 18, 2010 7:13 PM

“She’s underage, she’s bombed out of her mind”
    And a classy move by ben and his body guards is to get he into the bathroom.
    I would hope she has a brother or old man that kicks the living shit out of ben. Guys like this should be neutered

53. Tomthebombtracy says: Apr 18, 2010 7:14 PM

The holder of the liqour license is ultimately responsible for the use of it on their premises.
    They are responsible for determining the legal age of the users and for the abuse of alcohol relaed to overconsumption.
    Had that women been in a car accident 100 miles away that night and alcohol was determined to play a role, the establishment would still have been responsible.
    You can see a civil suit coming that implicates the bar as being responsible and BBR altho I wouldnt be totally surprised if she goes after the bar alone. They would have to offer her a juicy settlement seeing that 90% of all civil cases arer settled and never go to trial.

54. The Real Shuxion says: Apr 18, 2010 7:14 PM

# Florios’Lawyer says: April 18, 2010 6:48 PM
    SeeUInTheSuperbowl says: April 18, 2010 6:27 PM
    “How can anybody ever cheer for this guy ever again. He makes me sick.”
    As Florio reels in another fish…..
    Attaboy, keep that flame bait coming Mikey.
    The idiots will never catch on.
    ——————————————————
    How dare Florio make this saintly man look bad. Shame on you Florio.
    He is in great shape too.

55. Spoonthis says: Apr 18, 2010 7:16 PM

@boknowscornell
    I don’t feel sorry for the young (but of legal age to have sex) women who was in three different bars that night. Maybe the college student should have been at the library. Ben was stupid but how can he be responsible for her underage drinking? She was not at his house, she was not standing outside of a liquor store (like I used to do) asking Ben to go inside and buy he alcohol. She was inside a drinking establishment. It is not the job of the patron to ID everyone in the bar. It is the responsibility of the employees (the bouncers, the bartenders and the waitresses). Quit crying about her age. She was smart enough to obtain a fake ID. If she was 26, 36, 46 would this make the whole story any better?
    @joethaplumber
    “HALF PASSED OUT 20yr old white girl”
    Where do you get your facts? Where you there? Now that I think about it, your right, she is white.

56. PirateFreedom says: Apr 18, 2010 7:16 PM

I hope Rapeburger hears chants of
    NO MEANS NO!
    NO MEANS NO!
    NO MEANS NO!
    at every road game and, ideally every home game.
    because that would be comedy gold

57. 6lombardis says: Apr 18, 2010 7:19 PM

Let it go people. He was not charged with a crime. Come September, Ben will start throwing TD’s again and all the steeler faithful will love him again. For all the haters, well, tough luck. Your dreams of having to face the Steelers without Ben have been dashed. I laugh at your bad luck. You all can go to hell.

58. Draft King says: Apr 18, 2010 7:23 PM

Rules vary by state on under-21s getting into bars. In Indiana, for example, you have to be 21 just to get into a bar. In Alabama, it’s 19 to get in and 21 to drink. In Florida, it’s 18 to get in and 21 to drink. Does anyone know what the rule is in Georgia?

59. Free_Ryan_Leaf says: Apr 18, 2010 7:25 PM

UPDATE: Several of you have raised in the comments that Roethlisberger would have had no way of knowing that the alleged victim was under 21. As explained by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on March 7, persons under the age of 21 are permitted to enter the bars but not drink. Those over the age of 21 wear a wristband.
    *****************************************
    That has got to be the dumbest policy I have ever seen. How the f@#k do you enforce that? How long does it take to pound a shot of jager? Wow. No wonder she was DTF.

60. SoFlor Steeler says: Apr 18, 2010 7:34 PM

I still think the “why is Michael Irvin in the HOF” seeing as how he was also accused of rape story is a bigger idea Florio..

61. Brakadamaas says: Apr 18, 2010 7:36 PM

Wardo nailed it.
    Grown men out trolling for college chicks, the majority of whom are under 21. And Ben has the $$$ to take trolling to a whole new VIP level. Anybody that defends Ben in this matter in any way doesn’t have the brains that God gave a Roethlisberger.

62. Buffalo says: Apr 18, 2010 7:37 PM

I love how people blame Big Ben but his girl is also at fault maybe she needs to grow up and learn her lesson.
    First of all she didn’t even press charges so BIG BEN IS INNOCENT PEOPLE GET LOST !!!!!!!!!!.

63. thesloppy says: Apr 18, 2010 7:39 PM

Purely for the record:
    Capital City is an 18-and-over nightclub. She didn’t need a fake ID to get in the door(whether she had one or not, I have no idea). She probably didn’t need an ID to get in the VIP area. She probably would’ve needed an ID to buy a drink…but she didn’t.
    Should Ben be carding girls in nightclubs? If they’re 18-and-over nightclubs and he’s the one doing the serving, then yes he probably should.
    Lastly, I love how many of you seem to think that you understand the GA legal system better than the DA. Second guessing Florio or other posters is one thing, but if the DA said Ben could be found guilty of a crime, I think I’ll take his word over yours. That said, just because he didn’t specifically say that the bar would also assume some legal responsibility in an underage drinking case doesn’t mean they would not.

64. Skippy20008 says: Apr 18, 2010 7:42 PM

How on earth could a guy as stupid as Santicola pass the bar exam?

65. Sportsbozo1 says: Apr 18, 2010 7:43 PM

How stupid is this DA? Ben Roethelisberger isn’t responsible for a girl being in the Bar and her drinking,that responsibility falls on the owner of the Bar and the girl herself. So Mr.(not so)Bright go get you a job as a dog catcher,as you have no actaul knowledge of who commited what crime! If I were Ben and his attornies I’d be suing you and your office for releasing the results of your investigation and your personal views being interjected into the press,this in case you don’t realize it is Defamation of character.,and worse yet is the fact that you used your office of the District Attorney as a Shioeld to perpetrate your Defamation.

66. WCRaider says: Apr 18, 2010 7:44 PM

He would still be guilty regardless of whether or not he saw a wristband.

67. Kevin DuBrow says: Apr 18, 2010 7:46 PM

watching him walk away from all this is just as frustrating as watching his team get handed super bowl and regular season wins by the referees. sickening. someone should investigate the entire organization.

68. snnyjcbs says: Apr 18, 2010 7:52 PM

As I have said many times, if it walks like a duck and stinks like a duck it is a duck. The dude is PERVERTED pure and simple and has a screw lose. Last, the DA does not need the victim to be willing to go along to charge a person with a crime. It is done every day all over the country because the crime was not just committed against the girl but the people of the State as well. Justice has a funny way of hitting the poor and allowing the rich to walk. You call 911 and all you get is a clean up crew.

69. The Devil says: Apr 18, 2010 8:02 PM

she was wearing an wristband…
    It clearly stated she was DTF
    in fact she showed LITTLE BEN that she was DTF….
    Now after he whipped out little ben how was she supposed to say the wristband was wrong?

70. Snibs says: Apr 18, 2010 8:02 PM

Florio is an assbag

71. nflqb says: Apr 18, 2010 8:02 PM

If anyone is at fault it is the bar for serving alcohol to a minor, you don’t need a law degree to see that and if you do have a law degree you should be embarrassed to post such nonsense!
    What about the fact that this woman was following/stalking a celebrity from bar to bar?
    It is funny how people are acting Like Ben followed this girl around and forced her into a bathroom, while the fact is when someone follows you from bar to bar their actually the stalker looking for something like I dunno maybe peeling off a million from the 100 million dollar contract?

72. zabam says: Apr 18, 2010 8:09 PM

The club has a liability to serving underage drinkers as well – regardless of who was buying. If the DA is confident of that portion of the facts, the club should have their liquor license suspended.

73. robert ethan says: Apr 18, 2010 8:11 PM

Santicola is flapping his fat lips about the age of the girls and the fact they were drunk, but how old is his client Anthony J. Barravecchio, of the Corealis, Pa. police department? Or his “friend” Ed Joyner a Pennsylvania state trooper?
    Those two have been wiping Pig Pen’s ass for the last 5 years or so, you have to think they must be in their 30s at least. Allegedly both were “sober” at the time. Yet they stood by and let all this happen. Aided and abetted it by all believable witness testimony.
    I’ve seen two polls on this situation. One regarding Roethlisberger’s guilt and whether or not he should be suspended. 95% affirmative on both counts. The other on whether Barravecchio should be disciplined or not. Allegedly started by his fellow police officers. 90% to the affirmative.
    Someone tell Santicola the jury has already reached it’s verdict and he can stand down now.

74. BonnieD says: Apr 18, 2010 8:27 PM

If she was obviously bombed out of her mind, and he’s having sex with her while her judgement is impaired, then that is rape IMO. Something is wrong with Ben R. Either he has an alcohol problem or he is indeed a predator. Why does he need to have sex with strangers in bathrooms? He’s a rich guy. I’m sure he has a nice place and could actually go on a date with a woman if he wanted.

75. Mooch says: Apr 18, 2010 8:28 PM

Big Ben will die in prison. As soon as he doesn’t have the money to get out of these situations he’s done. Look at OJ.
    Too bad, he had tons of talent and was one of the best clutch players I ever saw in the NFL.
    And, of course, too bad for him that every single ‘gold digger’ in America chose to target Ben – and ONLY Ben – from the thousands of targets that exist in pro sports and entertainment. That whole universe of women never targets anyone else. Just Ben.
    How odd. How very, very odd.

76. BenInAZ says: Apr 18, 2010 8:34 PM

Jeez, folks. The club is 18 and over. If you’re under 18 you don’t get a wristband. If you’re over 21 and are caught giving alcohol to someone without a wristband it is against the law….a misdemeanor. If she wasn’t wearing a wristband and he gave her just one of those shots, then he broke the law. It is both the club and the over 21 crowd’s responsibility to keep the under 21 group from drinking.
    Is everyone keeping up now?

77. brainiac9x says: Apr 18, 2010 8:34 PM

I went to a big name university in the north east. As far as I can recall from my time being there, if you went to the hospital, regardless of the circumstance, and were underage and intoxicated, you were charged. Is there a reason she didn’t get busted for underage drinking? Maybe it’s the sexual assault angle but I don’t get it.
    And even if Ben handed her a drink at the bar, the bar is at fault. Technically he is not supplying the alcohol – the bar is. Just like at a party with underagers. It doesn’t matter who hands you the drink, it matters who supplied it.

78. Florios'Lawyer says: Apr 18, 2010 8:41 PM

The Real Shuxion says: April 18, 2010 7:14 PM
    “I didn’t get reeled in, Ben is a hero and did nothing wrong. He is a man amongst men, the king of NY, we should all be proud of him.”
    Go away gay boy…
    The Real Shuxion says: April 9, 2010 9:08 AM
    “I just want to say there is nothing Gay about MMA.
    Sure guys are on top of each other in very sexual positions rubbing their bodies together hands all over each other, sweating on each other.”

MMA may not be gay, but “the Real Shuxion” sure as hell is…

79. CT Stiller says: Apr 18, 2010 8:49 PM

I have to say, I did enjoy watching so many of Ben’s critics’ judgment meters come back to a normal level with this one.

80. cgc1969 says: Apr 18, 2010 8:55 PM

nobody cares about this story anymore! who cares the case is closed!

81. funi says: Apr 18, 2010 8:58 PM

Dd Ben bring her the alcohol or did the waitress? Did Ben tell her to drink it? This girl is a drunk, needed to be arrested for public drunkeness since she blew a .20, name made public and she gives the name DTF to guys she wants to have sex with in the bathroom stall!! This spell SLUT!!!

82. Supersix says: Apr 18, 2010 9:09 PM

The DA had no evidence. Ben is guilty of bad judgement/lifestyle but not rape. DTF- her necklace/nickname says all one needs to know. What is that college’s team name? The Milledgeville Sluts?

83. Jordiway73 says: Apr 18, 2010 9:10 PM

@SILVETTEIGN sleeping with a 15 year old girl and buying an 18 year old drinks isnt even in the same ballpark CREEP, do us all a favor and keep your mouth closed because everytime you open it big chunks of STUPID come flying out!!!!!!!

84. Rogue says: Apr 18, 2010 9:24 PM

FLORIO MAYBE YOU SHOULD STOP POPPING OFF AND READ WHAT THE ER HAD TO SAY ABOUT HER THAT SHE HAD TWO WRISTBANDS ON. UNQUOTE”’

85. C.Bass says: Apr 18, 2010 9:58 PM

A lot fo people here mixing fact with their opinion.
    FACT: The girl did not scream while in the bathroom.
    FACT: THe girl did not scream when she left the bathroom.
    FACT: She didn’t report anything upon leaving the bathroom (her friends conveinced her to do it).
    FACT: She initially told the cops she wasn’t raped.
    FACT: She later told the cops she didn’t know if she had sex.
    REad the police report people. You wanting Ben to be guilty does not make him guilty. THis country is based on innocence until proven guilty. Stop acting like nazis and the KGB.

86. CT Stiller says: Apr 18, 2010 10:05 PM

“It is both the club and the over 21 crowd’s responsibility to keep the under 21 group from drinking.”
    You forgot one other person. Her.

87. realitypolice says: Apr 18, 2010 10:07 PM

SDiegoSteel says:
    April 18, 2010 6:56 PM
    ==============
    Just one of many people who either didn’t read the whole article are isn’t intelligent enough to understand it. I will try to explain it to you:
    At that bar, and many many others (the law is different from state to state) people between 18 and 21 can enter the bar. People over 21 get wrist bands allowing them to purchase alcohol. If it can be proven a)that the defendant wasn’t wearing one, and b) a reasonable person could assume that BR had seen her wrists and knew she wasn’t wearing one, then BR would be guilty of furnishing alcohol to an underaged person.
    The bar would also be liable for not stopping BR from doing it.

88. Jungle Juice says: Apr 18, 2010 10:19 PM

Chris Henry was charged for providing alcohol to a minor and the girl was not charged.
    They couldn’t even tell if he actually purchased it or the girl brought it with her. Plus, she was a known prostitute and addict anyway.
    This prosecutor just wants to stay away from messing with going up against high-profile attorneys.
    How is a guy not arrested on the spot and bar video siezed when a girl runs immediately to the cops with injuries and witnesses?
    They are all hanging onto Ben’s Jock!

89. SayItAin'tSoFlorio says: Apr 18, 2010 10:22 PM

Mike, I think, based on the above responses, this post lost in the Court of Public Opinion.

90. Matt says: Apr 18, 2010 10:22 PM

joethaplumber says: April 18, 2010 6:51 PM
    *********************************************
    Has anybody else noticed that this guy posts the same thing, verbatim, over and over? I’m pretty certain “joethaplumber” is actually a bot, or else he has a schtick written up in a Word document that he uses every time a Roethlisberger article pops up on PFT.
    At any rate – I don’t always agree with Gene Collier from the Post-Gazette, but he’s dead on with regard to the Rooneys on this matter: they’re in a screwed-if-you, screwed-if-you-don’t situation. The purpose of an NFL franchise, at least primarily, is to produce a quality product, in this case a winning team. Dropping Roethlisberger is, given the alternatives, antithetical to this purpose, at least in the short term. On the other hand, Roethlisberger has proven to be a liability to both himself and the organization, and appears to be incapable of conducting himself like a normal human being. Short-run results versus ethics/morals.
    People act like Ben should simply be dismissed and that the choice is clear-cut and simple. Most of the people making the matter out to be simple obviously have never owned a business or had to balance multiple interests in a high-stakes setting. From a business standpoint, the decision is definitely not simple, and any other management group in the NFL would be struggling just the same to deal with this matter. At the end of the day, I think the Rooneys will do what’s best. I would prefer to see Ben go, but I don’t think I could fault the Steelers, given the stakes, for deciding otherwise. Then again, I’m neither a female nor a parent.

91. Pittman76 says: Apr 18, 2010 10:25 PM

MIKE,
    First of all, I’m not a Roethisberger supporter, but this is where all this Internet investigation and heresay make this issue much worse than it actually is. Please go to this part of the police report:
    Go to page 28, which is the account of Officer Lopez of the Milledgeville Police Dept. speaking about the accuser when he got to the scene:
    “LOPEZ noticed that she had at least two arm bands from” the clubs on her arm.”
    Hmmmm, could it be that she had a fake ID once again? The Police also confiscated fake ID’s from her sorority sisters, one of which the girl was very hesitant to turn over. They had to speak to her mother to force her to turn it over.

92. queenie says: Apr 18, 2010 10:25 PM

The haters are out tonight I see and still crying about Big Ben’s freedom. Poor big babies…we Steeler fans feel so bad for you…..NOT!
    GO STEELERS!

93. Klytus says: Apr 18, 2010 10:26 PM

Keep the mob in a lynching mood, Mr. Florio. Your bias against Ben is so blatant that one might assume you have some emotional interest in Ben’s story.
    My understanding of the event is there were a couple hundred people at the bar. Perhaps Ben’s attention was directed elsewhere when they first met. What was her blood alcohol level when they met? Perhaps she was drunk when she arrived?Also Ben was drunk! How observant are you when you are drunk? If you’ve never been drunk then you have no idea what you are talking about.
    So why did the victim with DTF on her T Shirt go into a bar to be given FREE DRINKS? Perhaps, she wanted a FREE BUZZ and to socialize. Since neither of us were there, all this is pure speculation.
    GO STEELERS!

94. MikeFlorioIsMyBitch says: Apr 18, 2010 10:36 PM

realitypolice says:
    April 18, 2010 10:07 PM
    SDiegoSteel says:
    April 18, 2010 6:56 PM
    ==============
    The bar would also be liable for not stopping BR from doing it.
    The police report states she was wearing two wristbands when she arrived at the hospital…hmmmmmmmmm

95. Dr. Steve says: Apr 18, 2010 10:41 PM

Ben has some basic character defects that keep causing him serious personal and professional trouble:
    First, he believes himself to be so important, he does not need to care how his choices and actions effect others. He is not even capable of foreseeing the consequences of his self-centered behaviour.
    Second, he believes he does not need to listen to the advice or counsel of others. He, alone, knows what is best for him.
    Third, he believes he is entitled to do as he pleases without reservation or restriction. Worse, he expects others to allow him and help him to do whatever he pleases.
    Fourth, he believes that “No!” does not apply to him. He has no regard for another person’s boundaries; especially if those boundaries obstruct him from having his way.
    The problem with these character defects is that they define, not what Ben does, but who he is. That is, who he is as a person. They infect his every thought, word and deed. To get him to change is not a matter of requiring him to modify his behavior, that would be easy, it is a matter of helping him to revise his basic outlook and approach to life. That would require Ben’s willingness to put himself into the hands of people who can help him transform his basic character. A very scary prospect.

96. 60eagles says: Apr 18, 2010 10:43 PM

As a resident of PA I would hope these two cops are not allowed on duty again. I’m sure they were packing heat. Absolutely.

97. botchedextrapoint says: Apr 18, 2010 10:45 PM

Dawn says:
    “I doubt Goodell will do anything about furnishing alcohol to a minor under 21.
    Nothing happened to Matt Leinart relating to the beer bong party at his home a couple of years ago. Based on what I read, it was verified that some of the young women in the pictures were underage.”
    That may be true of then but the mood of the league is changing and this may be the rap they can pin on Ben to say “Stop being a prat!”

98. Pittman76 says: Apr 18, 2010 11:04 PM

MikeFlorioIsMyBitch says:
    ============================
    So you don’t believe she had them on at the club? Is that what you’re insinuating? I don’t believe anyone has ever claimed she didn’t have an armband on. The girl had already used a fake ID once before and didn’t get into trouble. With the VIP area photos they have in evidence that night, I’m sure it can be proven is she had one on. That is, unless you want to claim that they were photoshopped in.

99. Raiders757 says: Apr 18, 2010 11:05 PM

Being that this happened in a bar, it would seem that said bar would be at fault for serving a minor, not big Ben.

100. JerryCola says: Apr 18, 2010 11:22 PM

She lied about her age with a fake ID and had a wristband on that’s given to people with the proper ID. Or did she lie about that too?

101. Rafterman says: Apr 18, 2010 11:55 PM

Florio,
    You are a ass-wipe and don’t think for a minute that the Steelers and Roethlisberger’s lawyers haven’t been here reading and downloading. Your witch will not go unpunished. I can see NBC cutting you loose and many other good things happening. Carry on ass hat you will get everything you deserve and more.

102. 90ragtop says: Apr 19, 2010 12:24 AM

Ruthlessbanger should be charged with underaged dorking

103. antalicus says: Apr 19, 2010 12:29 AM

This is why you don’t go to under 21 bars… just asking for trouble.

104. Rasta says: Apr 19, 2010 1:20 AM

Did you say the bar let pitbulls in, and Roethlisberger served thim shots then raped one of them.

105. Bart says: Apr 19, 2010 1:37 AM

I gave Ben the benefit of the doubt after the first incident in Nevada,but after another incident,it really puts doubt on him.I don’t see how he should not be suspended for less than 8 games and truthfully it should be for the season.

106. contract says: Apr 19, 2010 1:50 AM

“So, yes, Roethlisberger could have been charged for providing alcohol to an underage minor.”
    Florio: You are an attorney? Seriously? You’re the DA and your going to put a 20 year old on the stand … when her own testimony will show that she was knowingly and willingly violating the law all night long? You are going to subject her to a cross examination that will reveal that she has done the same repeatedly in the past and had at least one forged ID confiscated from her recently? You think anyone on any jury is going to believe that a college student who has knowingly attempted to pass herself off as > 21 before … decided to be truthful about her age on this occasion?
    Please! The reason the DA didn’t pursue this charge is the same reason that he didn’t pursue ANY charge. He simply had nothing to work with. There was no physical evidence and no witness to anything with even a modest level of credibility. He didn’t file charges because he didn’t want to get humiliated in court.

107. contract says: Apr 19, 2010 1:55 AM

btw has it even been proven that Ben was the one paying for, pouring or serving the drinks?
    According to one document it was Willie Colon who payed the bill at a previous bar that night.

108. bodhisattva says: Apr 19, 2010 5:30 AM

BonnieD says:
    April 18, 2010 8:27 PM
    This.
    We can jaw-off all we like but the punishment he receives will be the punishment he receives. Ben Burger has major issues and has hopefully, irrepairibly, tarnished his legacy.

109. Spoonthis says: Apr 19, 2010 6:28 AM

@Dr. Steve
    So when did you interview / clinically see Ben to find out what he believes? Your fourth point is the worst. “he believes that “No!” does not apply to him.” Where do you come up with this babble?
    @60eagles
    Why are you so sure the cops were packing heat? Did they have it in their carry on luggage at the airport?

110. Steeler-lady says: Apr 19, 2010 7:07 AM

Well they would of lost this case,because one of her friends said they followed Ben to another club where they took their seats AT THE BAR where they purchased some of their own drinks.. SOOO the club did serve her. The whole bracelet thing isnt common knowledge.. This same club took this girls fake id just weeks before so im sure she got another one.. Theres no way a customer is responsible to know whos legal n who isnt.This could happen to anyone… Especially since they got served @THE BAR.
    There shouldnt be no such thing as an under 21 bar.. how stupid.. you know damn well they are drinking.

111. the big bronco says: Apr 19, 2010 8:14 AM

This case is simple.. Giving alcohol, and having sex with the underage girl is a crime for you and me.. we would both be going to jail.. But big Ben has won two superbowls, that means that he is innocent and for that reason should not be prosecuted.
    Moral of the story, Win two superbowls, do what you want, nothing is illegal for you. The rest of us pay.
    If you want to drink and have sex with little girls, better start winning superbowls..

112. Pittman76 says: Apr 19, 2010 8:52 AM

First of all, I am a Steeler fan, but I think Roethlisberger is a scumball and a moron and needs to have a significant suspension. It won’t break my heart to see him traded either. However, I love how all these people that haven’t been following the case closely just glean little tidbits out of the story and get on their high horse to start casting stones.
    As far as Roethlisberger knowing the girl was under 21, let’s not jump on that as being gospel. As I stated before, Officer Lopez reported that she had at least two over 21 armbands on that night. This girl also wasn’t making the best decisions either. The “Down To F**K badge, hanging all over Roethlisberger, drinking heavily, and wearing a “miniscule” dress, as it was stated by one of the witnesses. And “no” means “no” regardless of those circumstances. The thing is, nobody knows what was said or if anything she has said in her statements are true or the result of being in a .2 BAC fog. There is no evidence that sex took place. Not that I’m saying it didn’t happen either. I certainly think something of a sexual nature happened.
    But yeah, she is 20 years old and barely out of her teen years, so her behavior sounds more understandable. However, as a parent I wouldn’t be real proud of my daughter acting that way. Roethlisberger on the other hand is a 28 year old rich NFL QB. Being in a college bar and handing out alcohol to young girls he was just asking for trouble. The guy needs professional help. He’s probably going to get it. Hopefully he uses this to get his act together.

113. Pittman76 says: Apr 19, 2010 9:06 AM

114. texasPHINSfan says: Apr 19, 2010 11:48 AM

what kind of club or bar allows under-21 types in it though?
    this speaks even less of roethlisberger that he picks all-ages joints to go hang out. If it wasn’t an all-ages bar (does that even make sense??), how it is Ben’s responsibility to card every girl he talks to?
    Not defending him there, just doesn’t make sense….
    if i’m at a club and buy a girl a drink, am i expected to card every patron girl in the club? isn’t that the bouncer/doorman’s job?

115. boknowscornell says: Apr 19, 2010 12:02 PM

I woudl be stunned if the Rooneys keep Ben on the team. Just because he wasn’t convicted does not mean he didnt commit a crime.. Ben Rothliesberger should be ashamed of himself. A new haircut doesn’t make you look innocent, Ben..

116. CKL says: Apr 19, 2010 12:55 PM

Skippy20008 says:
    April 18, 2010 7:42 PM
    How on earth could a guy as stupid as Santicola pass the bar exam?
    ______________________
    He’s a real-life “My Cousin Vinny” type, that’s for sure.
    If the chick was wearing an over 21 wristband, BR has ZERO practical responsibility for buying her drinks IMO.

117. STEELERS Girl says: Apr 19, 2010 5:28 PM

Ben definitely needs rehab and counseling, in my opinion anyways.
    Agree that the underage drinking was not his responsibility to police.
    Did anyone else see the police report provided by GBI, where one of the sorority sisters invited Ben back to their sorority house? Can’t remember which girl — wish I had noted the file/page number. But apparently she invited and he told her that it would not be a very good idea.
    Not that that will change anyone’s idea of whether he is guilty or innocent, but it at least shows that he had the forethought to watch his back, I think. So, it would tend to make me think that he wouldn’t be so dumb to do what was alleged, unless he got so drunk that logic went out the window.

118. STEELERS Girl says: Apr 19, 2010 6:12 PM

Also, from the police report, which was recorded when the girl went to the station, she apparently told the police that she was sitting on the toilet when Ben had sex with her.
    Umm, how? He was laying on the floor? Your average toilet is about what, 2 feet off the ground, if that? Even if he was kneeling, it would be such an awkward position, and probably impossible for someone 6’5” to get into, in the first place.
    That right there makes me write-off the whole idea of him penetrating her with little ben. I could agree with the idea that he used his finger; however, she states that she didn’t know whether or not he ejaculated; so that right there is telling me that she claimed intercourse.
    Again, it seems physically impossible.

119. Cy says: Apr 20, 2010 4:41 PM

It’s nice to see so many people run to the defense of a rapist. My personal favorite was the guy who tried to be very factual (fact fact fact). I especially love how he points out as fact that she was too drunk to remember if she had sex.
    I think if people stop and consider that Ben clearly was trying to take advantage of someone who was too drunk to concede to anything that puts him in the category of rapist. That is not in dispute. Sure there are different kinds of rape, violent, coerced, drugged, etc.. but they are all rape. It doesn’t matter if her skirt was short, if she was getting drinks from a bartender or ben or if she was 18.5 or 21 years of age. We are only haggling here over what kind of rapist he is. The rest is immaterial. If you try to sleep with someone when they are unable to decide or remember they cannot show consent and that makes the person who can make decisions an(at least) attempted rapist. Stop haggling over if it was her fault if she was drunk or if Ben should check ID’s. He should not be dragging a defenseless young woman into a bathroom when he represents more than just his own interests (because he is a famous representative of multiple established organizations). He has done this before, and at a certain point, you have to stop even examining the victim(s) for immaterial details like who she got the drinks from and see the NFL has a serious problem on its hands. It had to deal with a dog killer which is small potatoes compared to a serial rapist who probably will have more allegations coming forward every day now…

120. Bious says: Apr 20, 2010 5:14 PM

It is funny to see people getting mad that Ben was hanging out with an underage girl even though everyone in the bar was SUPPOSED to be 21+
    Why is it illegal for him to be at a bar at his age?
    People realize that people of his age and older still go to bars, right?
    Or maybe we should enact laws not allowing 25+ year olds to visit bars?