Report: Jets, Taylor deal "imminent"

Though we’re having a touch of the Groundhog Day vibe on this one, we think it’s worthwhile to point out that Orlando Alzugary of WQAM in Miami reports that a deal between the Jets and linebacker Jason Taylor is “imminent.”

Taylor and the Jets have been flirting for a couple of weeks.  Initially, it appeared that Taylor wanted to get the Dolphins to, ahem, crap or get off the crapper.

It didn’t work.  The Dolphins continued to drag their feet, and the final straw appeared to come last week, when coach Tony Sparano canceled a meeting with Taylor.

Under the “Final Eight Plan,” the Jets may sign (for now) one unrestricted free agent whose contract expired after the 2009 season, given that they have lost one UFA, kicker Jay Feely.  All other acquisitions came via trade (Antonio Cromartie, Santonio Holmes) or the signing of a player who was cut (LaDainian Tomlinson).

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
24 Responses to “Report: Jets, Taylor deal "imminent"”
  1. ff1220 says: Apr 20, 2010 2:20 PM

J. Taylor suks period let him finish his career in miami. I want Sharper as our safety and i want Hughes in the draft.

2. nyj-gate D says: Apr 20, 2010 2:22 PM

how many times has this story been posted Florio? why can’t you just wait until he is ACTUALLY signed?

3. Dayton Dolfan says: Apr 20, 2010 2:25 PM

I think the Dolphins want Adalius Thomas. Think about it. Wouldnt Rex Ryan want Adalius? He coached him in Baltimore. Now under the Final Eight Rule, by the Dolpins allowing the Jets to sign JT, they cant sign Adalius, who the Dolphins may sign. The Dolphins canceling a meeting with JT is clearly intended to push him out the door.

4. johnny1979 says: Apr 20, 2010 2:25 PM

I would be more excited about this move if it was the year 2000, not 2010

5. iusedtobeteddybayer says: Apr 20, 2010 2:27 PM

“Lil” Napoleon, can you all make up your minds?
    I used the word “bulllshit” about a year ago, and was censored. Now I see “shit” all the time. But you’re acting gay [not that there’s anything wrong with that] when you write, “ahem’. I mean, which is it? What are the rules on language, censoring, no more turd meter…it’s one thing to only be the size of a small woman, but it’s another thing entirely to write, on a pro football website of any measure, “ahem”.
    This is why I love this site, you rumor-mongoring, conspiracy- theorizing, [gay] Italian leprechan. Living the dream, aren’t ya, buddy?
    Ahem, indeed.

6. hnirobert says: Apr 20, 2010 2:29 PM

I love the Big O but he’s just a commentator and not an “insider” unless it comes to scouting.

7. caljetsfan says: Apr 20, 2010 2:30 PM

I hope he stays pissed at Miami and signs. He will be a nice addition. Now the Jets just need to draft some depth & maybe a safety thats good enough to start this year

8. blackglass says: Apr 20, 2010 2:31 PM

Everyone likes to bash the Patriots picking up washed up has beens….what do you call this, Jet fans?

9. JIM says: Apr 20, 2010 2:37 PM

DAYTON DOLHASS if A Thomas becomes available it would be be cause he is released there by nullifying the UFA rules for Jets and he is free to him..dont think for a sec if he get sreleased the jets will sign him a hell of alot quicker than the fins..who would you rather go to..its a no brainer and rex’s affiliation would make it a done deal shut and closed so N O the fins will NOT sign Thomas

10. thegoldengod says: Apr 20, 2010 2:38 PM

@dayton dolfan
    Thomas would be cut…and Jets could still pursue. Given they sign Taylor, I don’t think they pursue—unless they clean house of Gholston and B. Thomas.

11. ebr362 says: Apr 20, 2010 2:39 PM

Parcells better have a better option as Wake isn’t as polished as Taylor. Clearing up this position prior to the draft free the fins to focus elsewhere. Maybe Adalius is in play because not picking up JT on the cheap as a stop gap till a better option or player develops is an accident looking for a place to happen.

12. Ray says: Apr 20, 2010 2:39 PM

Sorry Dolfan, but if the Pats CUT A. Thomas the Jets can sign him too. We’ll take them both, thanks.

13. owenc says: Apr 20, 2010 2:53 PM

Dayton Dolfan
    ——————————————–
    final eight rule only applies to players whose contracts expired last year.
    adalius thomas does not apply to the final eight rule if he is released by pats.
    jets could sign both taylor and thomas if they so desire.

14. owenc says: Apr 20, 2010 2:54 PM

Dayton Dolfan
    ——————————————–
    final eight rule only applies to players whose contracts expired last year.
    final eight rule does not apply to any team signing adalius thomas if he is released by pats.
    jets would not be hindered in signing thomas by adding jason taylor.

15. JasonW says: Apr 20, 2010 2:58 PM

blackglass says:
    April 20, 2010 2:31 PM
    __________________
    I’m a jets fan and I hope he tears his acl in training camp.

16. JetsFan80 says: Apr 20, 2010 3:02 PM

Very disappointing. I’d have to estimate 90-95% of Jets fans do not want this guy. He is a piece of trash. He hates the Jets and their fans and we hate him. He could have 10 sacks and I’ll still hate this fool. Stay out of New Jersey di*khead

17. Realistic Jet Fan says: Apr 20, 2010 3:06 PM

Antoher guy we arent investing alot in and may get a great return. Say what you will but we didnt sign any of these criminals, degenerates or babies to big deals and give away anything valuable to get them. If they work out great if they don’t they can go hangout with Pacman.

18. patpatriotagain says: Apr 20, 2010 3:14 PM

DaytonDolfan i don’t think you understand the rule. Adalius is not a free agent, he has to be cut first, at that point, anyone can sign him, including the jets. the 1 for 1 rule only applies to unrestricted free agents.

19. BKILBY13 says: Apr 20, 2010 3:17 PM

Adalius Thomas is still under contract in New England. If he were to be cut, he wouldn’t be held to the same “Final Eight” restrictions.

20. Rangenius says: Apr 20, 2010 3:18 PM

ff1120…
    Agreed, I don’t understand why Jets don’t go after Sharper. Maybe he wants too much money? Jets are limited by the Feely deal thanks to that new Final 8 rule.
    I also think Jets will regret not keeping Feely.

21. bodymore says: Apr 20, 2010 3:21 PM

The Jets are the new Redskins. Pick up every big name player. Don’t they know this doesn’t work?

22. blackglass says: Apr 20, 2010 3:39 PM

JasonW says:
    April 20, 2010 2:58 PM
    blackglass says:
    April 20, 2010 2:31 PM
    __________________
    I’m a jets fan and I hope he tears his acl in training camp.
    __________________
    Spoken with the class I have known every Jets fan to have.
    Oh, and if you want Adaluis Thomas you can have him. There in no Final Eight rule about the number of old, washed up, has been pieces of crap reside on the Jets roster.

23. JasonW says: Apr 20, 2010 4:18 PM

# blackglass says: April 20, 2010 3:39 PM
    JasonW says:
    April 20, 2010 2:58 PM
    blackglass says:
    April 20, 2010 2:31 PM
    __________________
    I’m a jets fan and I hope he tears his acl in training camp.
    __________________
    Spoken with the class I have known every Jets fan to have.
    _________________
    Im not classy because I don’t want a player who had talked shit about Jets fans in the past and is only coming to the Jets to get his second career in tv going?

24. blackglass says: Apr 20, 2010 6:54 PM

No, you’re not classy because you are wishing injury on a player. I don’t want Adalius Thomas on my team, but I would never hope he breaks his leg.