Goodell comments on decision to face World Series

Commissioner Roger Goodell said the decision to schedule a game this season opposite the World Series was simple.  People want their football.

“The rationale is that Sunday Night Football has become a staple,” Goodell said on NFL Network Tuesday night.  “People want to watch football for the entire season.  We didn’t feel like it was appropriate to take it off any more.”

The NFL is not prone to taking half-step measures, so they scheduled a whopper for October 31: The defending champion Saints versus the Steelers, annually among the league’s biggest draws.

“We felt like it was best to continue on with that great franchise (SNF) every night of the season and allow the consumer to be able to choose whether they want to watch Sunday Night Football or the World Series.”

What the consumer decides could mark an embarrassing moment for the men running that other sport.

Permalink 85 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
85 Responses to “Goodell comments on decision to face World Series”
  1. wvugrad00 says: Apr 21, 2010 9:57 AM

I know I will be watching the world series since I could care less about the Steelers or the Saints

2. Dayton Dolfan says: Apr 21, 2010 9:57 AM

Baseball just got the bitch slap it deserves

3. myspaceyourface says: Apr 21, 2010 9:58 AM

Bury the past time.

4. jd says: Apr 21, 2010 9:58 AM

Damned straight. National past time my ass.

5. Big Stretch says: Apr 21, 2010 9:59 AM

Usually I am very critical of Goodell, but this is a great move. Football is America’s past time and it’s about time the leagues takes it’s place as such.
    Baseball is boring enough to watch that you can just flip over during the commercial breaks and still not miss much action.

6. Vikingbill1 says: Apr 21, 2010 10:00 AM

and rather than let everyone make their money, he needs to be a greedy f*cK

7. Nevisyakker says: Apr 21, 2010 10:01 AM

And so the battle lines are drawn and any spirit of cooperation between the league offices is dead.
    Counting the cost of battles, especially those not essential to your cause, is always good wisdom. This seems hasty and unnecessary.
    Fans of both the NFL and MLB will suffer in the long run.

8. irishsamurai says: Apr 21, 2010 10:01 AM

good for him,now i will not be forced to watch a sub-par product,very good mr. goodell,thank you

9. GirthyOne says: Apr 21, 2010 10:01 AM

Good.

10. Chitown says: Apr 21, 2010 10:02 AM

The people that run MLB are morons they deserve everything they get.

11. Drithe says: Apr 21, 2010 10:03 AM

Complete disrespect to baseball, an honored past time. But even in this I cant help to think but only one thing.
    The Carolina Panthers suck.
    End of Line.

12. straverse says: Apr 21, 2010 10:03 AM

Hardball talk? I like baseball, but give me a break.

13. Hosstyle In Tampa says: Apr 21, 2010 10:03 AM

No Brainer…

14. Chapnasty2 says: Apr 21, 2010 10:04 AM

WOW! Bold move, hope it pays off.

15. GoBrowns19 says: Apr 21, 2010 10:04 AM

Who cares that the Yankees win their 1000th world series with guys they bought mid season? I’ll be watching football.

16. Superbelt says: Apr 21, 2010 10:05 AM

It’s easy. Baseball can just move that particular game.
    Why does Football have to make the concession?

17. pats suck, blow and cheat* says: Apr 21, 2010 10:07 AM

Baseball and Selig blow as much as another entity I know…

18. joelvis72 says: Apr 21, 2010 10:08 AM

He’s taking on the World Series and the Great Pumpkin on the same night, and will go home to Jane Skinner. Woot!

19. Levito says: Apr 21, 2010 10:10 AM

I do like baseball, but not nearly as much as football. Not even close. Unless my team is in the WS, I’ll be most likely be watching football.

20. kennethnoisewater says: Apr 21, 2010 10:10 AM

None of this will matter if that “thing” gets off the island

21. WarrenMoonGOAT says: Apr 21, 2010 10:11 AM

Football is now Americas past time

22. MarkTroy says: Apr 21, 2010 10:12 AM

Excellent!
    America will find out that a mere regular season NFL game will embarrass a sissy MLB championship game ratings-wise.

23. brownsfn says: Apr 21, 2010 10:12 AM

I’d rather watch paint dry than have to watch a Steelers game..

24. nedirect says: Apr 21, 2010 10:13 AM

its a new day. give us what we want big games on the big nights and run over anyone that gets in the way of the shield. i don’t agree with everything the league office does but this schedule and decision to go head to head with the world series are great moves. now hammer out that cba and keep it up.

25. Buckeye2280 says: Apr 21, 2010 10:14 AM

Will be watching the World Series sorry NFL. I hope you understand now that what goes around comes around, so don’t complain if someone ever does it to you.

26. GreenAndGold says: Apr 21, 2010 10:14 AM

Great decision. Thank you.

27. RhinoSteel56 says: Apr 21, 2010 10:14 AM

“The defending champion Saints versus the Steelers, annually among the league’s biggest draws.”
    Should be
    “The defending champion Saints versus the Steelers, The 6 time champs

28. Action Dan says: Apr 21, 2010 10:15 AM

Love it. Baseball is a second-tier sport and should be treated as such.

29. dboom92 says: Apr 21, 2010 10:16 AM

Baseball? Really?

30. LexusBrian says: Apr 21, 2010 10:16 AM

Finally, a move the commish makes that I actually like.

31. AndyReidIsABadCoach says: Apr 21, 2010 10:19 AM

Probably a mistake since the Steelers will be terrible this year.

32. ClownBurger says: Apr 21, 2010 10:20 AM

FINALLY!
    I don’t know how anyone can take baseball serious after the FIXED home run flurry that came RIGHT AFTER THE STRIKE.
    Follow me here: Baseball has a lousy rep after the strike. Suddenly, 2 players break the home run record the same season and guys who used to get only 20 HR’s per season are regularly hitting 40. The league wanted to do something to get fans excited and to get their mind of the strike.
    Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out they juiced the balls.
    No salary cap, so it’s pretty much a “Let the team with the highest payroll win” situation year in and year out for the most part.
    The integrity and history of the game has been compromised and ruined.
    Baseball is dead to me.
    GOOD CALL GOODELL!! GOOD CALL!!!!

33. FlourideSoldOut says: Apr 21, 2010 10:20 AM

I’m sure the stinking baseball game will still be going on after the “real” game is over, heck they’ll probably still be in the 3rd inning.
    Watching Baseball on TV, it just feels like I’m wasting my time.

34. nshima dot com says: Apr 21, 2010 10:21 AM

Hurray! Now please get rid of the “Bye” weeks.

35. Krow says: Apr 21, 2010 10:22 AM

F’k baseball…. the same teams buy into the playoffs every year. Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs. Baseball is a bore.

36. Huckle says: Apr 21, 2010 10:22 AM

I never understood why Baseball is considered the “Great American Sport” when Football is the only sport played exclusively by Americans. Other countries blast us for it, there’s no Canadian NFL teams, and I can’t think of any Japanese players in the NFL.
    Someone from Europe once asked me about how important “American Football” was to the US. I told him, “Let me put it to you this way, if the Olympics were on just 3 hours of one day, and that day was the same day as the Super Bowl, nobody in the US would be watching the Olympics.”
    Football is the real Great American Sport.

37. ravensos says: Apr 21, 2010 10:22 AM

MLB blames reduced attendance on everything!!! I can already see them typing up their excuse for the World Series

38. Rex Grossman says: Apr 21, 2010 10:26 AM

THANK DA LAWD!
    In 2009, the World Series had 11.7 million viewers (8.4 million in ’08). In 2009, season 4 of “How I Met Your Mother” had 9.4 million viewers, more than the World Series had in 2008. So basically it was like skipping football for a moderately successful sitcom starring Doogie Howser.
    Bottom Line: baseball sucks
    Oh by the way, last year’s Super Bowl had 106.5 million viewers. ‘Nuff said.

39. hineswardcriesafterfumbling says: Apr 21, 2010 10:26 AM

What happens if the Pirates are in the World Series?
    I forgot, Steeler fans from outside of Pittsburgh are Redsox fans…nevermind.
    Oh wait, what happens if the Redsox are in the World Series?
    What if the Redsox play the Pirates in the World Series?
    If that miracle happened, I guess Steeler “fans” and Steeler fans would have a choice to make.

40. Gautam says: Apr 21, 2010 10:26 AM

I like that. I hated that Sunday in the middle of the season when there was no football to watch during dinner.

41. darlak says: Apr 21, 2010 10:27 AM

what is this thing they call the world series….i’ve never heard of it.
    is it a rival league of the UFL?

42. budro9 says: Apr 21, 2010 10:27 AM

“WAAAAAH My mom raised me on energy drinks and beef jerky, so I can’t understand Baseball!”
    I have no opinion on the 2 sports competing as I will be watching whichever game I have the greater rooting interest in, but this Baseball hate is lame. Football is obviously our most popular sport by far, but aren’t we a little old for a “My dad can beat up your dad” argument. Baseball is a great game to those who understand what is going on, as is Football.

43. norton99 says: Apr 21, 2010 10:27 AM

Why wasn’t this done sooner? I believe the only reason the NFL backed off until now was because of shared stadiums where baseball was the primary tenant and therefore held first rights to host an event.
    With the Twins moving out of the Metrodome who is left with shared stadiums? Oakland is the only one I can think of offhand and I don’t believe there’s likely to be a conflict soon with the state of the Raiders and A’s.

44. Dixon29 says: Apr 21, 2010 10:28 AM

Anyone who bashes baseball just doesn’t understand it. There it nothing better then watching your team play in a World Series. That being said, this particular NFL game will most likely win the ratings war.

45. BirdsFan4Life says: Apr 21, 2010 10:31 AM

Seeing as New Orleans doesn’t have a baseball team and the Pirates chances of playing that late in October are 0% – my guess is baseball will win out in the cities (Philly & NY?) that are still playing baseball….
    This was a no brainer for Goodell…

46. gooboy6 says: Apr 21, 2010 10:32 AM

baseball needs to go back to day games for world series anyway so kids can see it….what would be the problem with having one day ws baseball game you ask ? Because the sunday afternoon CBS game would kick the world series ass also

47. realitypolice says: Apr 21, 2010 10:32 AM

Wow- I was wrong about this. I posted yesterday that it was in the TV contract that they wouldn’t conflict and it would never happen. Gotta admit, I was off on that one.
    Stupid me for thinking the NFL would hold off on doing anything that would advance their sport at the expense of others.
    If it’s Yankees-Cubs, or Red Sox-Dodgers, or something along those lines, big market teams with national followings, baseball might win the night. Otherwise, they’re gonna get Poop Canned.

48. realitypolice says: Apr 21, 2010 10:33 AM

In the days of TIVO and DVR, does any of this really matter?

49. Beer N Donuts says: Apr 21, 2010 10:33 AM

I, for one, am happy that I will be able to watch the National Sport on that Sunday night.
    I understand that baseball is the national pastime, but, c’mon, it isn’t even the best pastime… that distinction belongs to jarts. :)

50. Bell63 says: Apr 21, 2010 10:35 AM

Baseball hardly gets a bitch slap – ratings for MLB playoff and Word Series games always are higher than a regular season NFL game. Ratings aren’t based solely on what an NBC blogger prefers to watch.

51. the Shoeman says: Apr 21, 2010 10:35 AM

Sunday night is for the betting-public.
    Don’t fool yourselves .. the World Series and Sunday Night Football (if your team isn’t involved) will be watched by the betting-public !
    the winner will be which side,
    has the best betting prop .. and best lines.

52. PackerFanTastic says: Apr 21, 2010 10:40 AM

We can watch the entire football game and then catch the last 4 hours of the world series game if we can stay awake.

53. Veritas Amber says: Apr 21, 2010 10:42 AM

Wait, people still care about the Roids Ball Series? LOL Okay all joking a side, Baseball is irrelevant because only a few teams really compete year and year and out and plus their season is just plain too long.

54. jb10 says: Apr 21, 2010 10:45 AM

i don’t know why they didn’t do this long ago. great decision.
    screw baseball!

55. Filbertkiwi71 says: Apr 21, 2010 10:47 AM

I am laughing at all of these comments, reading how all of these people want to see baseball crushed.
    How is that NFL labor deal going fellas? Hey, Rosendouche, what are you going to be doing when the NFL work stoppage occurs, play video games with Florio in his basement?
    I love to here how you gloat about all of this NFL crap and all you do is cover the sport.

56. Steeler4life says: Apr 21, 2010 10:47 AM

Good move!
    Go Steelers!!!!!!!!!!

57. Gregjennings85 says: Apr 21, 2010 10:48 AM

About time someone put cricket…er…baseball in its place. We don’t have 162 games. Our games matter.
    National sport = football.

58. Alexander says: Apr 21, 2010 10:50 AM

If a league’s championship game cannot outdraw a regular season NFL game, then that is totally on that league. I always wondered why the NFL would never schedule a game the day of a WS game. They have nothing to be afraid of. I love this move! Teach them who is king of the hill.

59. psubeerman says: Apr 21, 2010 10:56 AM

Putting more games overseas. Suspending players without any proof of wrongdoing. Going toe-to-toe with the World Series. All of this smacks of arrogance, which you can understand considering they are number 1. However, bad decisions are born in ignorance and arrogance, and eventually it will catch up with Goodell.

60. mookieburns13 says: Apr 21, 2010 10:59 AM

I love baseball played it all my life and coach it now….however, the World Series has become a joke, playing baseball in Philly, New York, Detroit, Boston, Minny….ect in LATE OCTOBER is brainless…they need to cut about three weeks off season

61. hnirobert says: Apr 21, 2010 11:00 AM

Goodness gracious!

62. Nancy Pelosi says: Apr 21, 2010 11:01 AM

This is proof the damn commissioner is going to move an NFL team to Europe. This a-hole has no respect for tradition. Not even my good friend Obama is this greedy, well maybe he is, but he shouldn’t be. I think I’ll shove goodell in a bathroom and have my way with him.

63. Ralph says: Apr 21, 2010 11:01 AM

Baseball simply doesn’t belong in the month of October. Their season just got too long and what little interest I have in watching the game is long gone by Halloween.

64. Hap says: Apr 21, 2010 11:02 AM

The NFL will easily defeat tthe World Series in ratings. I’d look for a reschedule by Bud Selig before I’d look for Goodell to do anything, which RG WONT do.

65. ChiVikes says: Apr 21, 2010 11:07 AM

I wonder what all of your opinions will be if the players get locked out due to union issues. Either way, it is obscenely rich men playing boys sports.
    Baseball will forever be America’s pass time.
    The NFL won’t be able to always put up a great game against the world series every year.

66. Verbal Kint says: Apr 21, 2010 11:08 AM

Suck it Halloween! You just got served!

67. stetai says: Apr 21, 2010 11:16 AM

It’s about time the NFL went head to head. All TV shows do this, all companies do this. It’s part of the business, and since the NFL and MLB are not owned by the same people, that makes them competition. simple.

68. Maximus says: Apr 21, 2010 11:19 AM

Well, baseball can cry foul all it wants and complain about a lack of “cooperation” but why should the NFL leave tens of millions of dollars on the table that it would lose by not showing a Sunday night game?
    Cooperation is one thing but this is now big business. If baseball was less boring and could compete (it can’t and it won’t and it will be a huge embarassment), this wouldn’t even be an issue.
    Baseball is not the national past-time. It is a sport that is past its time – time to put it out to pasture.

69. Cougar Bait says: Apr 21, 2010 11:23 AM

If the Fall Classic didn’t run into November, this wouldn’t be an issue. Pretty simple.
    But, if there’s an NFL lock-out in 2011, then MLB has nothing to worry about.

70. mookieburns13 says: Apr 21, 2010 11:25 AM

Thank you chivikes for using the correct term…it’s PASS time not PAST time people

71. bigfranky75 says: Apr 21, 2010 11:25 AM

PUH-LEASE!
    this is a total no brainer and the NFL will CRUSH in ratings that night. no one cares about baseball anymore…. I haven’t watched a World Series since the 94 lockout and am better for it. I havent missed it.
    There is a reason the NFL DESTROYS baseball… nobody cares anymore. I cant wait for the MLB to be HUMILIATED. only think more embarrassing is Mike Florio.

72. Howboutdemcowboys says: Apr 21, 2010 11:31 AM

I can’t wait to hear about the ratings!!!! Great move Goodell!!! F- baseball in its big steroid infested, past its prime, 10,000 games a year, juiced balls, corked bats, lazy fat tobacco chewing hole!!!!!!

73. frenchy says: Apr 21, 2010 11:38 AM

Now all you losers can chase your Sunday afternoon loses on Sunday or you can hope and pray that Drew Brees gets you the 22 points you need to win your fantasy football matchup. So you can maybe win $100 after spending half the year hoping you win the championship. That’s why you watch. You’re not football fans as much as you are degenerates. You know it but won’t admit it. When was the last time you watched a game without action that didn’t involve your favorite team? Thought so. Have a good day.

74. darth_vincent says: Apr 21, 2010 11:47 AM

I don’t recall baseball ever being appreciative on this noble gesture by the NFL by reciprocating on Monday night’s… but then I never watch baseball (small b – right? bud? small b)

75. hineswardcriesafterfumbling says: Apr 21, 2010 11:54 AM

@Frenchy
    Every Sunday. Thanks,

76. mattgso says: Apr 21, 2010 11:59 AM

You know if baseball would work on speeding up the game, they capture a bigger audience. I can appreciate the dual between batter and pitcher. I really can.
    But it’s endless between the pitcher stepping off the mound and the batter constantly calling time out.
    Call a strike on the batter if he steps out more than twice, call a ball on the pitcher if he keeps stepping off the mound. Every other major sport limits the number of time outs and delays. MLB needs to step up with the times.
    And call the freakin strike zone like you should!! If it gives the pitcher an advantage, give the picher a “shot clock” (pitch clock) on put pressure on him to keep the pace up.

77. birdmancometh says: Apr 21, 2010 11:59 AM

I’ll be watching the world series thank you very much. And I never thought i’d say this, but I now hope the Yankees make the world series and it blows football out of the water. Arrogant SOB’s. At least they were smart enough to pick two football teams that will not have an obvious rooting interest in the World Series. It would have been funny to see them schedule Giants vs. Rams or something that would clearly get it’s ass kicked by a Yankees/Cardinals World Series.

78. birdmancometh says: Apr 21, 2010 12:07 PM

@Howboutdemcowboys –
    Are you F’n serious? “F-baseball in its big steroid infested,…” No PED’s in football right? You are as naive as you are ignorant. Oh and nice math, it’s about 5,000 games. There is probably less cheating in baseball now than there is in football. At least they are taking the initiative to try to clean up the sport while the NFL just sweeps it under the rug. If you like football more, fine, but damn. Try to make some sense when you talk.

79. Howboutdemcowboys says: Apr 21, 2010 12:08 PM

@ frenchy
    You have no idea. I live in Tampa and think the Bucs are the most boring team in the league. I have no Tampons on my fantasy team, yet I watch their game every week @ 1:00. Why? Because I am a football fan. As a kid baseball was my first love but I never watched a game unless it was one of 5 teams. Now I would watch the Lions vs. Rams all day instead of a Yankees vs. Redsox game 7 days a week.

80. heavyj39 says: Apr 21, 2010 12:14 PM

Is it wrong to like both sports? I love football and watch as many games as I can, so does that mean I cant enjoy the Fall Classic too? I will be flipping back and forth. I dont get all the hate for baseball. They know they cant compete. They dont try too.
    The real question is who will be the Steelers QB for that game? Ben? Byron? Dixon? Clausen???

81. spliffbunker says: Apr 21, 2010 12:26 PM

if the Yankees are in the series the football game should end around the 4th inning…

82. Stone says: Apr 21, 2010 12:38 PM

This should put MLB on notice that they have become a joke in terms of the amount of playoff games they play. The MLB is like the NBA now, playoff series run on and on and on. Get your damn playoffs done with and get the hell out of the way of the NFL.

83. SpartaChris says: Apr 21, 2010 5:59 PM

Buckeye2280 says:
    April 21, 2010 10:14 AM
    ====================================
    Riiiiight. It would take an epic failure of biblical proportions on behalf of the NFL for ANYTHING to come even remotely close to competing with the NFL playoffs, let alone the Super Bowl. The only two major sports running at that time are Basketball and Hockey, neither of which has anything close to resembling the following of the NFL.

84. SpartaChris says: Apr 21, 2010 6:52 PM

frenchy says:
    April 21, 2010 11:38 AM
    =====================================
    Every time it’s on. Not a gambler, but absolutely love the game. Thanks for trying though, asshole.
    Baseball has been largely irrelevant for the past 16 years or so. One reason why is there’s no sense of urgency to create any kind of excitement. Since there’s no clock, a game can go on for four hours and still be 2/3 of the way over. Since they play 162 games a season, you can afford to miss 50 or 60 games and you still won’t have missed anything.
    If baseball wants people to care, the first step would be to lower the number of games each team plays per season. Cut the season in half to only (Only!) 81 games a season and you’ve created a bit more incentive to watch as every game now carries far more meaning. Find ways to speed up the game (The idea of awarding a strike or a ball should a batter/pitcher step out of their zones was interesting) and you’ll minimize the boredom.
    The same can be said for Hockey and Basketball. Drop the number of games played per season to 50 and folks will be a bit more interested come playoff time.

85. StevenM says: Apr 22, 2010 12:40 PM

I lost interest in MLB in 2002. It gets what it deserves & the used-car salesman who is in charge is an joke too.
    That said, if you do care about MLB, ever hear of PIP? Then again, this is a non-issue for me since I would watch exhibition football games on tape-delay!