Raiders select Rolondo McClain

Once again, the Raiders made a surprising first round pick.

But this time around, it looks like a good one.

Instead of swinging for the fences, the Raiders took one of the safest picks in the draft in Alabama linebacker Rolondo McClain.  Oakland badly needs help with their rush defense, so it fills an immediate need.

McClain, known for his leadership and instincts can play inside in a 3-4 defense and at middle linebacker in a 4-3.  The Raiders may show more multiple looks this year.

Kirk Morrison may not be long for Oakland now.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
43 Responses to “Raiders select Rolondo McClain”
  1. goinalldaway says: Apr 22, 2010 8:34 PM

I love this Pick

2. JJCheesehead says: Apr 22, 2010 8:34 PM

im pissed Rolando has to go to Oakland…..

3. joetoronto says: Apr 22, 2010 8:35 PM

Bouya!

4. mattraider says: Apr 22, 2010 8:35 PM

let the hate begin

5. bryce9erfan says: Apr 22, 2010 8:36 PM

a good player but i still dont get it

6. TimmySmith says: Apr 22, 2010 8:36 PM

You know what’s not surprising? When you spell his name wrong not once but twice. I thought you were supposed to know who these players are? He’s a top 10 pick for shit’s sake.
    Pro Football Talk, everyone.

7. INVAIDUH says: Apr 22, 2010 8:37 PM

YYEEEEEEAAAAYYUUHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
    R. Nation…………GFY.
    Tackle later dumps.

8. Rod Pearcy says: Apr 22, 2010 8:37 PM

Geez…I was hoping for a long snapper or something.

9. Onderin says: Apr 22, 2010 8:38 PM

A good move. A slight reach but it’s a solid choice.

10. Skin_Flute says: Apr 22, 2010 8:39 PM

Man, that poor dude. That must cause some conflicting emotions.

11. Louisq90 says: Apr 22, 2010 8:41 PM

God Job Giants!

12. Bob says: Apr 22, 2010 8:43 PM

It’s “Rolando” — one “a”, not three “o’s.”

13. theTRUTHwillSETuFREE says: Apr 22, 2010 8:43 PM

love it.

14. badraider225 says: Apr 22, 2010 8:44 PM

HELL YEAH AL GOT ONE RIGHT NOW LETS GET THE LINES TOGETHER WITH THE REST OF THE DRAFT I CAN SLEEP WELL TONIGHT

15. daniel rosa says: Apr 22, 2010 8:49 PM

And everyone thinks Al Davis was crazy. I was a little bit expecting Dez Bryant, because the way Davis rolls.

16. RaiderVol says: Apr 22, 2010 8:51 PM

We all know how easy of a target the Raiders have made themselves over the years, but can we get an occasional post about them sans contempt?

17. YHK says: Apr 22, 2010 8:55 PM

Isn’t it Rolando instead of Rolondo?

18. dogma1 says: Apr 22, 2010 8:56 PM

Good pick. Kirk Morrison is so overrated, Huge pick by the Raiders, McCalin will be a superstar.

19. 1NationRaiderNation says: Apr 22, 2010 9:00 PM

now get hayneworth, and nobody will be able to run against us.

20. masterblaster78 says: Apr 22, 2010 9:08 PM

I’d rather have seen a DT or OL. Time will tell if this was a good pick. Can’t be any worse than the past few years. Go Raiders

21. stvvon says: Apr 22, 2010 9:18 PM

I like this pick, I was thinking Taylor Mays, Good pic

22. dunkingonuts says: Apr 22, 2010 9:23 PM

Fantastic Pick…!

23. TylerDurden says: Apr 22, 2010 9:24 PM

So far so good. Now an OT or DT in round 2.

24. JSpicoli says: Apr 22, 2010 9:26 PM

Solid

25. Raider B says: Apr 22, 2010 9:27 PM

Welcome to the RAIDER NATION!

26. dunkingonuts says: Apr 22, 2010 9:33 PM

They put the writing on the wall when they tendered Kirk Morrison so low, yet none of the morons in the media picked up on it. So called experts my ass.
    The Raider Nation knew it was coming.

27. comment_submission_error says: Apr 22, 2010 10:26 PM

Greg Rothonsol says:
    Once again, the Raiders made a surprising first round pick.
    Surprising because everybody guessed wrong, you mean. I only saw one or two draft meteorologists mention “Rolondo” getting the short stick by falling under Al’s gaze. Still, it might be a smart move. They’re closer to being a good defense than they are to being a good offense, and with McClain inside they can give more looks.

28. Wiredawg says: Apr 22, 2010 10:43 PM

Great pick Al… There are more than one need, but this was a good solid pick in my opinion. Going to sleep happy.

29. raidersteve413 says: Apr 22, 2010 10:47 PM

LISTEN EVERYBODY I JUST GOT WORD THAT BIG BEN IS GOING TO THE RAIDERS FOR SECOND ROUND PICKS. PFT PLEASE CONTACT ME, I HAVE A VERY RELIABLE SOURCE, THE NFL KNOWS AND IS TRYING TO BLOCK THIS TRADE!!!!
    PLEASE PFT DONT DROP THE BALL CONTACT ME! I HAVE A PHONE RECORDING FROM A STEELERS EXECUTIVE CONFIRMING THIS AND JOHN HEERA FROM THE RAIDERS SAYING INDEED WE WANT TO GO FOWARD WITH THIS TRADE!

30. RI Raider says: Apr 22, 2010 11:29 PM

Pretty good chance Bruce Campbell is there at 8 tomorrow……Black Hole, Can you feel it???

31. dcrespo24 says: Apr 22, 2010 11:38 PM

Great pick. However, this doesnt necessarily mean that Kirk Morrison is out. He played alot at outside linebacker last year. In fact he is a better outside linebacker than a middle linebacker in the 4-3. Moreover, the Raiders oftent run a 3-4 hybrid where Rolando can be the Mike and Kirk can be the Sam.
    Get a football IQ pft!

32. the_firm_09 says: Apr 22, 2010 11:38 PM

Comments have to be ok `d by the creator , ya delete this mickey mouse membership .

33. Los_Raiders says: Apr 22, 2010 11:53 PM

I hate how idiotic people call this pick a “slight reach”… The Raiders need to stop the run and McClain is a top 10 pick… SOLID in my opinion…
    One thing is for sure, no matter what year it is, whoever the Raiders first round pick is someone will always have something negative to say against it… The haters just hate, but I for one am proud of being part of the Raider Nation…
    With all that said, there’s still quality starting left tackles available for the Raiders at #8 of the second round… As a true fan I doubt anyone would disagree with me saying they should go either LT or DT at that spot… A pair of Alabama players to Oakland perhaps…??? (McClain & Mt. Cody)…
    I’m not going to lie but Clausen to Oakland is intriguing… I wouldn’t be mad if they went in that direction… Whether people like him or not, the kid can play…

34. NJRaiderNation4Life says: Apr 23, 2010 12:25 AM

Love this pick. Our Deffense is starting to look vicious. We just got a stud MLB in McClain, Morison will stay and be moved to SAM where we be looking for a capable player for years (Sorry R.Brown, you play well above your talent and work hard a hell, but we need to shore up this spot). DE rotation looks diesel. We all know the D-Backs are well above average, I think we do need some beef at DT, which we could address in the later rounds.
    On the Offense, The Torpedo from Toledo is more than capable of running the offense. I Believe this is McFadden’s breakout season and we all know what Bush can do. Our TE is one of the best in the league 8. Our (Go head haters, let me hear it). Our WR’s, Chaz and L. Murphy have a year more of experience, maybe Hey-Bey could do something in the slot. Again, I think we need some more help on the OL, but I don’t believe it is really that bad. i think Henderson is a capable OT, they said when he was drafted, he would need a couple of years to progress and I think he progression is coming along as it should. This year I believe he will excel. I know the interior line is solid, just worry about RT. Think we could also pick up some capable bodies in the rest of the draft.
    We are playoff bound this year, if not, in the hunt till the last weeks of the season. Bronco’s are going backwards, so are the chargers, KC stinks. Go Raiders…… Let me hear it all you Raider haters………..

35. oh the usual says: Apr 23, 2010 12:30 AM

i’ve been calling this pick all day. this was the pick i wanted. this is a deep draft. we can get a quality DT or OL in round 2, but we got the best at a position of need in round one. good instincts with the pick, good anticipation, good patience and discipline. there could not have been a better pick here for the raiders. i am excited. Al usually misses in round 1 then puts together a good draft afterwards. making a good 1st round pick was exactly what we needed as raiders fans…now lets do what we usually do in the rest of the rounds. a night for rejoice.

36. Mr. Green says: Apr 23, 2010 1:03 AM

As a Chiefs fan, I admit that this is actually a great pick for the Silver and Black. McClain solidifies the core of that defense and will greatly improve Oakland’s horrible run defense. I was expecting so much worse from Al Davis, but this is a solid pick.
    The AFC West needs to take notice because the Raiders are putting together a very quality defense. Of course, the offense sort of puts a ceiling on this team’s prospects. Maybe 8-8 next year, which would be a huge step forward.

37. AcidSoda says: Apr 23, 2010 1:04 AM

I was pleasantly surprised w/ this pick. I was dreading Al “Montgomery burns” Davis was going to get Campbell. Still need tackles center and a freakin’ QB.
    As for McClain being a “slight reach” sure it was. Top inside lb decorated and a film junkie.
    Sure it was.

38. Po in the truck says: Apr 23, 2010 3:10 AM

Tommy Kelly is a prototypical 3-4 DE. Seymore is the prototype. Put putting Terrance (Kool-Aid) Cody btwn them with Howard/Whembly outside and mclain/Morrison inside. That’s a bad ass 3-4.
    Kool-Aid! is a reference to the big dude in crimson busting threw a wall and the kids yelling Koolaid. Nothing to do with stereotype about black people and koolaid. Just sayin.

39. Po in the truck says: Apr 23, 2010 3:11 AM

40. Redleg says: Apr 23, 2010 6:50 AM

I think ESPN and NFL Network were actually disappointed that the Raiders took McClain…I think they were all ready to trash Davis if the Raiders took Campbell.
    Round Two I would stay away from Clausen, the Raiders aren’t good at developing QBs anyway (see Marc Wilson, Todd Marionvich, Tui, Andrew Walter, etc.) PLUS they need to give JR another chance. If JR fails you plug in Gratsky this year and trade for Troy Smith (history with Hue Jackson) or Jason Campbell (if they can’t get him this year) for 2011.
    BESIDES OT and DT still needs to be addressed IMMEDIATELY and after Round 2 the level of talent in both areas will be gone for the most part.
    Wouldn’t hate Campbell, but would sure be interested in trading the pick for LT Jared Gaither from the Ravens…Would be great to plug in a NFL proven LT into the Raiders below average OL instead of a raw “project” guy like Campbell.
    DT wise…Terrence Cody from Alabama (Height: 6-3⅝ | Weight: 354) would be a great choice also in the Second Round if he is still available…Him and McClain were on the same team and he sure as heck could suck up blockers and free up the LBs in the Run D. He is only a two down player, but the Raiders have added a ton of rush DE/LBs in the last two years…Move Seymour to the middle on passing downs, plug in Scott/Wimbley/Groves and attack the QB from all sides.
    Don’t think Haynesworth is a possibility (Redskins want too much), plus the Raiders are going away from “head cases” anyway. Would rather see them bring back Gerald Warren (at a reduced salary) or go WAY BACK and bring back Grady Jackson.
    DEFENSE IS THE KEY FOR 2010!!!!
    Morrison is GONE unless he restructures his contract and Howard is on thin ice too the amount of money in his tender.
    Too much money going to the both of them when the Raiders JUST took Morrison’s replacement in the first round (see history of Greg Biekert and Danny Clark).
    Look for one or both to be trade bait if the Raiders target someone in the late 2nd or third round and try to package one of them with a pick and trade up.

41. Ray Guy says: Apr 23, 2010 11:58 AM

Well, I can breathe easier after this pick. Just waiting to punch the couch if I heard “Bruce Campbell” or some “no one anybody’s heard of” name called. I like this kid at linebacker. Hope he ends up like a Ray Lewis (without the murder rap) and not Napolean Harris

42. crabman82 says: Apr 23, 2010 2:32 PM

he wont even be the best middle linebacker in the bay area

43. Grimmlock42 says: Apr 23, 2010 2:42 PM

Great pick. I would jump on getting Brian Price DT from UCLA 2nd round. Ray Lewis needed Haloti Ngata. Derrick Brooks needed Warren Sapp. You put Brian Price infront of Rolando McClain, we got one hell of a core in the middle. So far we’re 1 for 1, We pick up Brian Price, our draft will be a success for years to come.