We don’t expect the Jimmy Clausen drama to last long on day two of the draft. Here’s our list of favorites to wind up with the Notre Dame product.
1. Bills: There are conflicting reports about their eagerness to trade up. No surprise. But they want to draft a quarterback and multiple reports say they were in on Tim Tebow. It makes a lot of sense to go after Clausen.
2. Seahawks: Greg Bedard of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel writes that Seattle would have definitely taken Clausen at 14 if Earl Thomas didn’t slip. If that’s true, they are great candidates to move up to take Clausen now. They have to move up a long way, though, after sliding down to pick No. 60 in the Charlie Whitehurst trade.
3. Raiders: We liked the Rolondo McClain pick. It made sense and filled a need. Taking Clausen would make a lot of sense too. Too much sense to happen?
4. 49ers: The strong pre-draft links to Clausen proved false. They might
have to move a long way up to get Clausen from their current No. 47 perch, but he fits on their roster.
5. Browns: Mr. Michael Smith of ESPN has been on target with all things Browns of late — he stuck with Joe Haden as Cleveland’s pick. He thinks the Browns will look to fill bigger needs than quarterback and we agree.
6. Vikings: Trading down out of the first round indicates Clausen isn’t a priority. We think they are a good match, though.
7. Panthers: A couple factors are in the way here. They don’t have a lot of ammo to trade, with and they don’t have a coach that is likely to be thinking long-term.
8. Chiefs: We’re not buying it. Perhaps they floated love for Clausen as a favor to Charlie Weis.