Joe Webb ready to play wide receiver in Minnesota

Joe Webb played both quarterback and wide receiver at Alabama-Birmingham, but he knows the Minnesota Vikings drafted him today to play receiver, and he’s fine with that.

“It’s based on what the coaches want me to do,” Webb said, per the Star Tribune. “Right now they want to see me at receiver and see how can I improve there. As time goes on, if they want to see what I’ve got at quarterback, I’m all for it. I’m pretty open right now. I just want to go out there and play some football.”

There are questions about how NFL-read Webb is, but there are no questions about whether he’s a good enough athlete to play in the NFL. Among other things, he has one of the most impressive vertical jumps ever put on YouTube.

Webb became the first player in NCAA history to pass for 2,000 yards and run for 1,000 yards in consecutive seasons, and he would be a natural to take some snaps in the wildcat formation. But he says he’s thinking more about lining up at wide receiver.

“Ever since the Senior Bowl I’ve been working a lot with my technique and running ability so I’m getting comfortable at it,” Webb said. “I’m just looking forward to going up there and showing them what I’ve got.”

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
9 Responses to “Joe Webb ready to play wide receiver in Minnesota”
  1. CanadianVikingFan says: Apr 24, 2010 6:20 PM

Replace Jaymar Johnson with this guy. This guy brings alot more to the table.

2. PurpleRaid12 says: Apr 24, 2010 6:46 PM

Bernard Berrian’s replacement….

3. MasterShake says: Apr 24, 2010 7:21 PM

I’ve done that plenty of times but I don’t own a camcorder. Pay the man!

4. MooninLambeau says: Apr 24, 2010 7:23 PM

I’m always concerned when a raw player is drafted to fill a professional spot- sure qb to wr switches have worked i.e. Boldin, Brad Smith, Randle El, and to name a few- chances Webb plays into a role like these players is low, but at least it was a later round pick…. But I suppose if Mr. Webb can catch he’ll already be better than a certain seventh overall pick named Troy “my eyes are bad, o yea i just cant catch, no one ever heard of me before my 40 yd dash, thx for the paycheck” Williamson.
    Please Randy Moss, return to your homeland and play with Favre.

5. Pervy Harvin says: Apr 24, 2010 8:54 PM

…and the list of super athletic freaks continues to grow in Minnesota. It is good to be a Viking fan.

6. evilmajortom says: Apr 24, 2010 9:30 PM

Jump out the pool on that!

7. DICECOLDSR says: Apr 25, 2010 2:16 AM

DUDE’S GOTTA “S” ON HIS CHEST.

8. TheBaySay says: Apr 25, 2010 4:41 PM

The missing piece of the puzzle for sure! Especially if T-Jack ends up throwing the passes.

9. jebdamone says: Apr 27, 2010 2:14 AM

hopefully we can at least sneak this guy through on our practice squad for a year to see if his freakish athleticism can translate into NFL wide receiver. he is certainly an impressive specimen.